tOSU | The Boneyard

tOSU

Reaction Score
The Buckeyes were playing like gangbusters earlier in the season but went 1-3 in their last four games.

Did someone get hurt???

Reaction Score
When your claim to fame is a one trick pony, teams figure you out. McGuff is known more as a recruiter than as an Xs and Os coach.
Exactly.

I think it's telling that their season has been ended the last two seasons by ACC teams. Those players don't fear that press like that.

Reaction Score
Peaking is one thing, but they also didn't have an outside shooter like Mikesell who could get hot didn't help.
This seems right to me. Without Mikesell, they became a limited offensive team. Jacy tried to make up for the lack but they really needed more than one perimeter threat when Mikulasikova wasn’t on the floor.

Reaction Score
Exactly.

I think it's telling that their season has been ended the last two seasons by ACC teams. Those players don't fear that press like that.
They usually don't employ the press against Iowa because they break it too easily.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think their high ranking early in the year was a product of a favorable Big Ten schedule while everyone else in the country was beating each other up. Until the end of the regular season (which they handily lost at Iowa) they hadn't faced Iowa, Indiana or Nebraska on the road. They upset Iowa in OT but never looked like a top team worthy of a 2 seed IMO.

Reaction Score
They usually don't employ the press against Iowa because they break it too easily.
Good point! I believe it's because Caitlin and Molly can get downhill like the typical ACC or SEC guard. There aren't too many of those in the B1G in large part because the East Coast B1G teams (Rutgers, Maryland, and Penn State) have mostly dropped the ball when it comes to recruiting guards of that nature. We could see more a shift once USC and especially UCLA (hello, Kiki Rice!) enter the conference and if the quality of ACC coaching starts to weaken a bit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom