Top Twenty Cities People Are Leaving | The Boneyard

Top Twenty Cities People Are Leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
But what does that mean for UConn's national brand? I'm a UConn alum that splits time between Ohio, NC, and GA. My sister is a UConn alum living in GA. Her ex-bf is a UConn alum who is in California now. Is that reflective of all UConn alums? if I know.

It doesn't sound good on paper at all, but the reality of the situation may be a bit brighter. Also, those numbers aren't that huge. If people are moving because of cost of living, then they probably didn't have cable anyways. ;)

Reaction Score
But what does that mean for UConn's national brand? I'm a UConn alum that splits time between Ohio, NC, and GA. My sister is a UConn alum living in GA. Her ex-bf is a UConn alum who is in California now. Is that reflective of all UConn alums? if I know.

It doesn't sound good on paper at all, but the reality of the situation may be a bit brighter. Also, those numbers aren't that huge. If people are moving because of cost of living, then they probably didn't have cable anyways. ;)

New York City is ranked #2, yet due to inflow of people from the suburbs (college graduates) and immigrants, the city continues to grow and is doing half-way decent judging by the real estate prices in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Cities like Detroit whose outlfows are much higher than inflows, such as Detroit, and Dayton are a concern; but, it has not stopped U Michigan and Ohio St from growing,

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

I don't even have to open this to know that the bottom of the list are cities in: CA, PA, NY, CT, RI. And the best places on earth are in TX, SC and FL (please tell me if that is wrong). That is why these lists exist, to reinforce the behavior of states that sell out their citizens and environment for the most elite.

I would like to see some stories circulate about the top-20 states that don't educate their children, where you are most likely to be pulled over for not being white, where lifespan is the shortest, where blood pressure and heart disease are the highest, where the environment is most exploited. Otherwise, this is just propaganda.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

This has been the case for a long while and its not a healthy sign that people are voting with their feet. The only reason the NYC and Fairfield County area isn't shrinking is because of immigration. 1/5 of my neighbors in are college educated foreign born (and happy to be here). Unfortunately most don't have any interest in American college football. Pro football, yes, - college no.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
This isn't going to become some desolate wasteland overnight. We are going to be relatively population dense essentially indefinitely given our proximity to NYC and greater Boston. We aren't perfect by any means but we aren't dead by a long shot.

Reaction Score
This isn't going to become some desolate wasteland overnight. We are going to be relatively population dense essentially indefinitely given our proximity to NYC and greater Boston. We aren't perfect by any means but we aren't dead by a long shot.
I didnt even read it but know the city of my birth"Newark" has to be near the top as it had twice the population in the sixties its had over the last twenty five years I think. Loss of manufacturing based jobs and suburban flight leading contributers but like Connecticut its "NJ" always going to be a densely populated state due to its location as the American gateway and 1st or 2nd stop for immigrants assimilation and standard of living per capita.

Reaction Score
Having lived in Florida since 1951, I have always wondered why folks didn't retire and move up north.

When I was six, Florida was a sleepy little state and smaller in population then any state in the southeast accept Mississippi. And now, has overtaken New York as #3 in population.

The panhandle beaches were a deserted paradise of dunes and white sand for miles on end.

Things change. And now they are. Here, in the area of my western NC cabin, are may "half backs" as they are called. Folks who moved to Florida from up north and now have moved into the mountains of North Carolina after retirement.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The innovations of mass transit available across this country, the internet and electrical power available almost everywhere have combined to increase the options people have to live, work and retire.

Until the late 60's, or early 70's many people died within a 75-100 mile radius of where they were born. No more.

Cities and states can either acknowledge that industries and people are portable or they can ignore it. Some people want locations with greater services, some people want specific geographic features and some want to chase a career.

None of the choices are inherently right or wrong. The overall migration shows the macro level psyche of what forces are driving choices. People want to get away from medium size cities that have many of the drawbacks of big cities without the advantages of the big cities.

This people in this country are being drawn towards major metropolitan areas or broad rural areas.

Reaction Score
Don't think this thread went the way some hoped it would. That List Is virtually worthless. I know every time I am in NYC, DC, or LA I think to myself "Damn this place is a ghost town!"

Reaction Score
I sell multifamily housing. New Haven is on-fire both it terms of people desiring to live within the city and capital inflow. Bridgeport will always be ok due to it's proximity to NYC even though most of it is a s-hole. Regarding Hartford, if it's losing population it's probably a good thing as there's just so much dead weight in that city that needs to leave in order to make room for responsible hard working professionals.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Agreed, but the trend isn't a mirage. I grew up in CT in the 70's and 80's before leaving for law school. It's not what it was and isn't the wonderful paradise many residents proclaim it to be. It has real problems, some of which are self inflicted.

Reaction Score
Agreed, but the trend isn't a mirage. I grew up in CT in the 70's and 80's before leaving for law school. It's not what it was and isn't the wonderful paradise many residents proclaim it to be. It has real problems, some of which are self inflicted.

What state does not have problems (and benefits)? Yeah, Florida has nice weather (to some) and lower taxes; but, they have hurricanes, a fresh water issue as sea levels rise, and if one has a family, public school systems in Florida can be very hit or miss.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What state does not have problems (and benefits)? Yeah, Florida has nice weather (to some) and lower taxes; but, they have hurricanes, a fresh water issue as sea levels rise, and if one has a family, public school systems in Florida can be very hit or miss.

Florida sucks. The states actually doing the best are those in the semi rural mountain west area.

Reaction Score
Florida sucks. The states actually doing the best are those in the semi rural mountain west area.
They have loads of untapped natural resources. Montana, SDSU, NDSU, etc, might as well already join the FBS ranks.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I sell multifamily housing. New Haven is on-fire both it terms of people desiring to live within the city and capital inflow. Bridgeport will always be ok due to it's proximity to NYC even though most of it is a s-hole. Regarding Hartford, if it's losing population it's probably a good thing as there's just so much dead weight in that city that needs to leave in order to make room for responsible hard working professionals.

Okay - but is a hot market everywhere - money is cheap and so the bubble is inflating with respect to multi family.

I think what some are failing to appreciate is that many (really the majority since CT is below avg on growth) parts of the country are much more upbeat - with growth. And growth matters as it widens the tax base and more over, with respect to CRA, means the greater opportunity for more sports revenues over the long run (the 50 year view).

For instance, Denver alone added 100k people in domestic migration alone (ignore immigration) over 4 years. Meanwhile CT added just 20k people total over that time and our domestic migration was negative/flat.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/denver-job-market-lures-millennials-1437698907

Conference planners are thinking long term and long term, CT is aging - a con and not really growing (tiny growth, some counties are shrinking) also a con.

Another for instance, since 2000, AZ has increased from 5.1M to 6.7M and CO from 4.2M to 5.3M, meanwhile CT by just 200k from 3.4 to 3.6M. Frankly, there aren't many states growing slower than CT.

Our weak growth story can be offset by other things UConn brings to the table - but its certainly not helping at all.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I would just put it more as : our population size is stable and isn't likely to grow or contract all that quickly. It's more "blue chip" than "growth stock"... And sometimes that's ok. Again, not without our numerous challenges... But 3.5mil sets of eyeballs starving for UConn content may not be sexy yet it still has value.

Reaction Score
Despite real estate normalizing to some extent will help, but in the last twenty years a lot of real estate has tripled or quadrupled in value. That's great for homeowners that participated in the upswing. However, for new entrants in the workforce it is tough because starting salaries are not keeping up at all. So purchasing power is way down.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
High taxes are driving businesses and people out. Connecticut was a low tax state until the 1980's and it boomed. Then government got greedy and reversed the trend.

Growth is happening in low tax states. Shocking.

Reaction Score
I would like to see some stories circulate about the top-20 states that don't educate their children, where you are most likely to be pulled over for not being white, where lifespan is the shortest, where blood pressure and heart disease are the highest, where the environment is most exploited. Otherwise, this is just propaganda.

All states educate their children.. some better than others, of course. New England has a higher proportion of families that have elected ( and can afford it )to send their children to private schools, than many other regions of the country. New England'ss public schools are good in the suburbs, but are ranked not that well in the Cities like New Haven, Bridgeport, etc to say Jacksonville, Fl or Dallas, Texas and so forth..... as for being black and being pulled over, thgat happens more in the South, as there are far more blacks in the south than in New England. That said, a black person can be pulled over just as easily in Chester, Ct, and Orleans, Ma, North Conway, N.H as he can in white enclaves in the south. The difference is that there are far more white enclave communities in New England than in many parts of the South, Southwest, Pacific Coast.

Reaction Score

All states educate their children.. some better than others, of course. New England has a higher proportion of families that have elected ( and can afford it )to send their children to private schools, than many other regions of the country. New England's public schools are good in the suburbs, but are ranked not that well in the Cities like New Haven, Bridgeport, Lawrence, ( Ma) etc to say Jacksonville, Fl or Dallas, Texas and so forth..... as for being black and being pulled over, that happens more in the South, as there are far more blacks in the south than in New England. That said, a black person can be pulled over just as easily in Chester, Ct, and Orleans, Ma, North Conway, N.H as he can in white enclaves in the south. The difference is that there are far more white enclave communities in New England than in many parts of the South, Southwest, Pacific Coast.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99