OT: - Top 5 Rappers | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Top 5 Rappers

Reaction Score
You're putting words in my mouth and then saying I'm clueless. Is this intentional? Are you a moron or just being a DB?

I never said hip-hop wasn't founded in the Bronx. I said Bob Dylan wasn't the first guy to rap in a song, and I provided an example proving that.

Have a nice day.
Yeah I no longer know what we're debating. Sure people had talked in songs before for hundreds of years but what was created in The Bronx isn't modern day hip-hop it is hip-hop.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ellie Kemper. And you guys keep misspelling it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I honestly don't get the Drake hate. I don't know if it's a pseudo macho thing or what. I'm not his biggest fan and no one should put him anywhere near an all time great list, but there's a place for his style within hip hop and he's got some songs that anyone who seriously claims to like hip hop can appreciate. I mean, we've got people shouting out Future and Tekashi 69 as all time greats and people are ______ on Drake. Bizarre.
For my part, I'm pleading wine at lunch on a Friday at the end of a brutal couple weeks of work.

I trust that Judge McCracken doesn't need further evidence on this plea?

Reaction Score
In no particular order:

Ice Cube
Ice-T
Jam Master J
Dr. Dre
Eminem

Beasties a close 6th.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Just recently got back into some of my LA and Bay Area records. Most people hear Cali hip-hop and they think Gangster rap (which is great) but some of the best music came from out that way with Hieroglyphics, The Pharcyde, Dilated Peoples, Souls of Mischief and these guys...

Fantastic stuff.

Reaction Score
For my part, I'm pleading wine at lunch on a Friday at the end of a brutal couple weeks of work.

I trust that Judge McCracken doesn't need further evidence on this plea?
I'm getting killed in the market, sorry if I took it out on you.

Reaction Score
KRS-ONE, Rakim, Kool G Rap, Ice Cube, Big Daddy Kane

BIG, Jay Z, Nas, Kiss, Fab

with about 50 honorable mentions

Reaction Score
I scrolled through this topic quickly because rap is not the best form of music and that isn't debateable but, as far as I can tell, not one mention of de la soul?? Come on, very early 90s and before is some of the best you can find in the genre. Digital underground the roots .... How has no one metenioned the roots plus yall are totally English centered with no mention of Spanish rap.

Reaction Score
While this is an incredibly subjective question, I'll weigh in:

Biggie
Jay-Z
Andre 3000
Nas
Ed Nelson

Reaction Score
I scrolled through this topic quickly because rap is not the best form of music and that isn't debateable but, as far as I can tell, not one mention of de la soul?? Come on, very early 90s and before is some of the best you can find in the genre. Digital underground the roots .... How has no one metenioned the roots plus yall are totally English centered with no mention of Spanish rap.

I almost started an OT best rap group. There are a lot of great groups and that's a different category than individual rapper

Reaction Score
My absolute favorites in no particular order:

Big L
Canibus
Nas
MF Doom
Jay-Z

———————

Jadakiss
Biggie
Eminem
Rakim
Guru

Reaction Score
I honestly don't get the Drake hate. I don't know if it's a pseudo macho thing or what. I'm not his biggest fan and no one should put him anywhere near an all time great list, but there's a place for his style within hip hop and he's got some songs that anyone who seriously claims to like hip hop can appreciate. I mean, we've got people shouting out Future and Tekashi 69 as all time greats and people are ______ on Drake. Bizarre.
I think his flow and whoever produced his music facilitated the shift in style towards this new trap kind of sound that informs a lot of the 6-9 and other young rappers who are getting some real push-back. A lot his flows are boringly similar. It’s simple enough for chicks to follow along with, it’s not hardcore, and it’s generally accessible at least

I’m not a fan myself but I appreciate a couple songs, don’t hate the guy

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I think his flow and whoever produced his music facilitated the shift in style towards this new trap kind of sound that informs a lot of the 6-9 and other young rappers who are getting some real push-back. A lot his flows are boringly similar. It’s simple enough for chicks to follow along with, it’s not hardcore, and it’s generally accessible at least

I’m not a fan myself but I appreciate a couple songs, don’t hate the guy

The fake dancehall trend rubs a lot of people the wrong way too.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Feels like Rae Sremmurd should be the headliners today.

Also somebody threw a phone at Slim Jxmmi's nuts, that was funny.

Reaction Score

Unbelievable. 6 pages and not one person answered correctly. I am extremely disappointed with everyone in this thread.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Tyler Olander
Tyler Olander
Tyler Olander
Tyler Olander
Tyler Olander
While Colors is widely considered within their cult the crowning jewel of their work thus far, a lot of said cult members came to BTBAM from metal, not from where you come from. So they love the overarching death metal timbre. You mentioned a specific part of Colors that turned you off and it seemed like you were describing the “WHIIIIITE WAAALLLLLS” part (actually speaking of fans, that last song is a tribute to their fans”

But actually if you care to, subsequent albums start to mellow out and by Coma Ecliptic the pace is generally slower and is comprised of many more and longer lows. They start to incorporate a celestial, dreamy kind of vibe with these concept albums too

The real reason I love them, and it’s harder to appreciate it in Colors as it is in Parallax, Coma, and Automata, is that the albums are single entities; there are lyrical and musical themes that recur, and especially Coma bookends itself with a varied riff. These three albums are also concept albums that lend themselves to a grand orchestral piece like that.

Coma’s story follows a guy who is placed in a coma-inducing machine and starts traveling with a guide through past lives and at the end of each experience has to decide if he wants to stay and live in that reality or move on to the next past life. Automata tackles the concept of what it would be like if dreams were siphoned from people and broadcast for entertainment. I won’t even try to explain the concept that drove Parallax to you lmao. Their content is so incredibly deep, but unfortunately very abstract and for many inaccessible

Reaction Score

Black Thought (indisputable Top 5 in my opinion) and Trugoy the Dove are both mentioned in this thread.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom