Todays Practice | The Boneyard

Todays Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well, I'm glad I didn't get the memo about practice being closed today because then I wouldn't of had one of the greatest days ever with my son if I had known. I got up to campus and saw that the fields were empty so we headed over to The Shenkman. Walked into the complex with several parents. They are just WONDERFUL people, very nice all the way around. They were so nice to my 7 yo son, talking to him the whole way in. Our recruits have some very proud parents, I can tell you that. Great Stuff! Anyway we got there and the team was running first and second offense. I will cut this off and post my thoughts on the offense, then defense, then general comments.

Reaction Score
Offense
I'm not sure who it was on the board recently that mentioned that they went to a practice and had the feeling that we had lost some size on the offensive line, but let me tell you, it concerns me. I will be very honest, the last time I went to a practice was just before the ND game and let me tell you, we had a line that looked like they could step onto an NFL roster. Now, not so much. Staying with the line, i found their enthusiasm to be rather lacking and their communication as well. They didn't look like they were in sync and they certainly didnt open up any holes for the running plays the offense ran. I'm really concerned right now about the OL. Running game was really nonexistent, although there were a few breaks here and there. The QB's, well, I hate to say it bcuz we all are in love with Whitmer but he was the best of the three today and honestly that's not saying much. The qb's weren't getting the ball off quick enough and didn't make consistent reads either. There were MANY open receivers on any given play that our qb's just couldn't find. That, with what I saw from the O-line has me worried a bit. My last comment on Qb's will be with McCummings. The kid just cant throw the ball, period! I don't want to sugar coat it at all, its just what I saw today and parents were saying the same thing. HOWEVER - He ran a few wildcat plays that made our defense look silly. One option run, he hit the pitch perfectly and we were in for six. Another play, we ran a bootleg and I swear to god, McCummings walked into the endzone because he torched the D so badly. Biggest performers of the day were Ryan Griffen and John Delahunt. The first play I saw for Griffen, I thought I was back at the Papa Johns Bowl, as he pulled in a one handed catch off a post pattern down the sideline and he was gone!!! Delahunt was just as good and didn't drop anything. Overall, I'm just a bit worried that we didn't see much out of our receivers today. I will finish with this thought. Although there were some concerns out there, I am completely aware that Coach P is not going to go deep into the playbook during an open practice, this we all know. So I think there is plenty of time to move forward and work the kinks out.

Reaction Score
Defense
SICK SICK SICK!!!!!!! I'm really excited to see Brownie take the leash off of these dogs!! I will tell you, the tempo started and ended with Coach Brown and he was all over the D from start to finish. More importantly, they responded! Our defensive line was just off the ball consistently all day long. They were swarming the ball as well. No full, all out hits today with the format, but let me tell you, the D could of sent some people home in body bags if they wanted to unload! There was not a play were Coach Brown wasn't correcting or just motivating everyone out there. I may of been hard on my assessment of the offense earlier, but it also could be due to the fact that our D was just that good. I'm telling you now, and we all know this, but our season will take off or crash with the play of our defense this year. Really exicted by what I saw.

Reaction Score
My last comment is this: I know we all have complained about how we feel left out of the inner circle in terms of lack of information about whats going on with the program and I will tell you, some of the parents said the same thing today. The lack of information is definately being noticed. One Dad was mentioning that in other parts of the country, the flow of information is non-stop where as here it is non-existent. As an example, the South Carolina punter pulled a hammy a few months back and there was non stop news on just that! I guess it went on for days, People just never get enough of it and thats probably why the interest level never seems to go away in those parts of the country. I think we just need to do a better job communicating as a program, it can only HELP build our fan base. There were several parents who came up and moved their son's in yesterday and were leaving to go home because they thought practice was cancelled. Somehow they stumbled across the fact that they could go the The Shenk to watch, and they were asking me where to go to get information and if this was typical? I had no answer, but I hope it changes.

Reaction Score
No matter how good our D is this year we can't have consistent 3 and outs. Depending on our FG team to kick 40+ yarders while the D forces early turnovers but stays on the field for most of the game is a recipe for late game fatigue and comeback losses. We need to be able to establish something consistently and that starts with the O-Line.

Maybe the D is that good. Hopefully we start to play up to that level of intensity and get the ball rolling vs UMass. It needs to happen so we can take advantage of the opportunities we've been given early on and build on that success. If the O-line can keep digging and give the guys a little room we could be dangerous. Don't want to see guys taking a beating if that doesn't happen. Fingers crossed.

Reaction Score
Practice wasn't closed today? Read the tweets at 6:45 am that it was shut down due to weather (it was pouring in Milford). Didn't think they'd let the fans in--I would have gone in a heartbeat to see practice inside Shenkman. Sounds like it was an informative day. Any clues on the "battle" for center--if there is one? That's my focus for the O-line.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Offense
I'm not sure who it was on the board recently that mentioned that they went to a practice and had the feeling that we had lost some size on the offensive line, but let me tell you, it concerns me. I will be very honest, the last time I went to a practice was just before the ND game and let me tell you, we had a line that looked like they could step onto an NFL roster. Now, not so much.

I have to say, this is the third or fourth time that I've heard this, and I guess I'm just not comprehending why this is the take from some of the fans. If I am to believe the roster numbers (I know, I know...they are filled with errors), here are the top five linemen (I'll also add Bullock as number 6):

Bennett: 6'9", 309
Masters: 6'4", 298
Mateas: 6'3", 293
Friend: 6'6", 295
Greene: 6'5", 309
Bullock: 6'4", 302

The averaged numbers of that line is 6'5", 301 (with or without Bullock, since he is at the average). Could it just be that these guys don't look as big because they are just so tall?? Granted that last year, Mike Ryan was 6'5", 333. But Petrus was 6'2", 292, which is almost exactly what Mateas is. And in 2010, we had Hurd, who was 6'7", 325, but Masters was 15 pounds lighter and Olivier was 6'6", 294.

This seems to be a standard-fare and somewhat beefy O-Line for the UConn Huskies, or at least it seems that way to me. So long as they all stay healthy, I'm expecting really good things out of them. Also, keep in mind that they are practicing every day against the best defense in the Big East...

pj

Reaction Score
UConnDan97, I was wondering the same thing. They are perfectly normal sized for an O-line. Pro lines aren't much different in size either. The Patriots, for instance, list 18 offensive linemen on their roster (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/roster/_/name/ne/new-england-patriots). 6 weigh 315 or higher, 6 are 302 to 310, 6 are 300 or below. Only one is above 320.

In terms of height, pro linemen are tall. The Patriots' centers are 6'2" and everybody else is 6'4" or taller. In terms of numbers, our guys look like a Patriots o-line.

I suppose the roster weights could be overstating sizes. But even if our offensive linemen were small, it would probably not imply that players were slacking off in the weight room and cafeteria, but rather that the coaches want a very mobile offensive line with players who can pull and move in open territory, and are building a physique they want in the o-line.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
UConnDan97, I was wondering the same thing. They are perfectly normal sized for an O-line. Pro lines aren't much different in size either. The Patriots, for instance, list 18 offensive linemen on their roster (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/roster/_/name/ne/new-england-patriots). 6 weigh 315 or higher, 6 are 302 to 310, 6 are 300 or below. Only one is above 320.

It's also nice to see Donald Thomas's name on that sheet! He was an athletic beast. He was built like a rock and looked like he could run a half-marathon. I remember seeing him on the warm-up bike and thinking to myself that he was the biggest "linebacker" I had ever seen. Definitely a different body look than our boy Mike Ryan (both were very good players in my opinion, so no slight on Mike).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
All great. Fair warning. People involved with the program are going to be pissed you posted this.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the practice notes. We have a ridiculous defense so its not surprising that they are dominating play. If McCummings can fool our defense with option play the rest of the league is in trouble.

Reaction Score
Practice wasn't closed today? Read the tweets at 6:45 am that it was shut down due to weather (it was pouring in Milford). Didn't think they'd let the fans in--I would have gone in a heartbeat to see practice inside Shenkman. Sounds like it was an informative day. Any clues on the "battle" for center--if there is one? That's my focus for the O-line.

They let parents in to the practice and since he walked in with parents they also let him in.

Reaction Score
All great. Fair warning. People involved with the program are going to be pissed you posted this.

Whaler you have a very good point. Dan and pj, size on paper is just that, size on paper. There was one parent which I will not mention, since Whaler has me thinking now, but he asked me when they update the roster stats bcuz his son's height is wrong and his weight is off by 18 pounds. What does that tell you????

Reaction Score

Kelly, I will say that center was a problem today. The d-line blew him into the backfield on several plays. I saw the play but didn't know who it was snapping the ball at the time. I was having a conversation w/ Mr Norris at the time and even he commented on the play. Bottom line is the center is at a disadvantage after the snap because he is vulnerable once that ball starts moving, especially if the DT slants in which was what happened on the play.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
...but he asked me when they update the roster stats bcuz his son's height is wrong and his weight is off by 18 pounds. What does that tell you????

It tells me that every college program in the country is off by about 18 pounds per player. This is actually also true when it comes to recruiting websites as well...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Think the o-line will surprise this season.

I have that feeling too. I know that I am the eternal optimist, but I really feel like this line, if healthy throughout the year, will really take care of business. Couple that with the fact that the Big East's leading rusher is back behind them running the ball, along with a QB that will get rid of the ball before 6-mississippi, and we should have a solid year...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler you have a very good point. Dan and pj, size on paper is just that, size on paper. There was one parent which I will not mention, since Whaler has me thinking now, but he asked me when they update the roster stats bcuz his son's height is wrong and his weight is off by 18 pounds. What does that tell you????

The sizes on paper and on rosters are nonsense. None of them are accurate unless by accident. Everyone is shorter than listed and by position the weights are gamed.

We go into a season knowing some guys can play. We'll learn about others we haven't seen. Heights and weights on a roster provide no evidence towards figuring that out.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The sizes on paper and on rosters are nonsense. None of them are accurate unless by accident. Everyone is shorter than listed and by position the weights are gamed.

We go into a season knowing some guys can play. We'll learn about others we haven't seen. Heights and weights on a roster provide no evidence towards figuring that out.

I feel like the height and weight exaggerations are most pronounced when a guy is 5'10"-5'11" in height and / or 190 or 290 in weight. There is so much more buzz about a linebacker that is 6'0" 205 than there is about one that is 5'10" 195. Same thing for an interior lineman on either side of the ball, or even a cornerback.

Although I do think that the NFL numbers are likely very accurate, since they try to make sure that all the info is out there to curtail any "mob-like" interferences (hence the injury reports).

Reaction Score
"No matter how good our D is this year we can't have consistent 3 and outs. Depending on our FG team to kick 40+ yarders while the D forces early turnovers but stays on the field for most of the game is a recipe for late game fatigue and comeback losses. We need to be able to establish something consistently and that starts with the O-Line."

I couldn't agree with that statement more and feel the season will fail or prevail with the production of the offensive line. The D is obviously juiced and just chomping at the bit, waiting for game one to get here. The key is to make sure the O-line has enough swagger/confidence to complete the mission at hand.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sounds like a great day! Thanks for posting.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be worried about our offense because of a poor practice, this is the second year of this offense, I'm sure we'll be fine.

Reaction Score
Not much to be gleaned from an open practice. Run the same plays. Muscle memory. Nothing new. Defense usually has the upper hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom