TJ Weist deserves a real chance | Page 3 | The Boneyard

TJ Weist deserves a real chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm warming to TJ, my only concern is can he recruit? Not sure what role he played in recruiting either here or at Cincy.

One of the key reasons he was brought here (supposedly) was due to his strong recruiting. If I'm not mistaken, he's the reason that Lemelle came here...

Reaction Score
I dont think lembo narduzzi or clawson or even saban were coming in and flipping a switch to beat louisville and ucf Tj will be just as good as any of the realistic names we will have for the job

Absolutely true. The reality is TJ may not get UConn to where it wants to go (a team of national impact), but I do not think that any of other names tossed around will either. What we all want, however, is that the team, at a minimum, gets back to respectability and challenge year in and year out, for 1st place at whatever league we play in. Minimum. From what I have seen, I think TJ can accomplish that. Expecting anything more with any future UConn coach not named Saban et al, is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Reaction Score
TJ had a real chance.

He lost to good teams.

He beat bad teams.

Time to find a big boy coach.

C

Chief00

TJ has made it a winning trend out of a train wreck . Hire him cheap to 3 year contract even if you need to buy out the last 2 years not a huge deal. Every good organization needs to reward success and if it doesn't it does so at its own peril.

F

fortebleedsblue

I really like how the players respond to TJ ... A lot of energy and regardless of opponent when was the last time you saw Uconn put up over 40? I am one of those who didn't give Casey enough credit ... The kid is a ballet ... Great reads and is as advertised out of high school.

Use the money saved on TJ hire reallocate the funds towards hiring a big time DC that can recruit

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I would not be disappointed with TJ. Expect that he would get a significant raise, but much less than P was paid. Would free up money to spend on top notch coordinators to support a less experienced head coach, and provide some strong recruiting support. He has KO type followship with his players.
This was exactly my thinking as well. The $2+million that we were all saying would be necessary to get a coach here will no longer be needed. TJ won't command that kind of money and instead can be told that more money will be available for him to bring in top notch coordinators. Clean house on the defensive side and keep Day and Foley.

I was not in the TJ camp but after watching today's game it all just came together. I know it was Memphis, but it was still a showing that involved everything that I like about TJ. He used the younger players that would have been buried by PP. Lamelle, CC, Delorenzo all played big roles today and in the past three games. I know another coach may have been able to find this next season but TJ took over the team and learned over 8 games what the winning formula was. I like the guy and feel he has the enthusiasm and desire to be here. I like it.

Save some cash, hire TJ, and get him some top notch coordinators with competitive P5 salaries.

Reaction Score
A team left for dead at the bottom of the BCS was transformed and lit it up for 400+ and put up more production than in years . Are you kidding. The guy just made a serious case for the job. Unless we're getting Narduzzi or Clawson, we keep the horse the pull us out of the mess.

Perspective - Temple torched these guys for 500+ yards.

Reaction Score
TJ had a real chance.

He lost to good teams.

He beat bad teams.

Time to find a big boy coach.

U forgot he coached a team that set a passing record. Uconn has played alot of bad teams since d1. Edsall it pasqualoni did bit pass like this

Reaction Score
U forgot he coached a team that set a passing record. Uconn has played alot of bad teams since d1. Edsall it pasqualoni did bit pass like this

Against Memphis, it's not a big deal.

It's time to get a proven winner in here and see what he can do.

Reaction Score
If Coach Weist is not selected as head coach, the new coach should in no way be forced to keep him on as an OC. The new coach should be given complete authority to hire the staff of his choosing.

I do think that he has shown a lot in these last 3 games. Unlike many on this board, I can give a rat's behind if UCONN hires a "name" coach. I want a coach who can come in here and win. We need a coach who can evaluate talent, recruit, and effectively manage the players and his coaching staff. Period.
Amen.

Reaction Score
I really like how the players respond to TJ ... A lot of energy and regardless of opponent when was the last time you saw Uconn put up over 40? I am one of those who didn't give Casey enough credit ... The kid is a ballet ... Great reads and is as advertised out of high school.

Use the money saved on TJ hire reallocate the funds towards hiring a big time DC that can recruit

Nice to see a solid performance, emotions and everybody jumping up and down. We beat
Memphis by a lot and suddenly that's the barometer for hiring our last chance coach.

I just finished watching Towson beat Fordham on ESPN3. They are a solid physical team with talent. We might have beaten them today - or not.

Reaction Score
He has brought a dead team back to the living without any benefit of recruting. He has instilled pride in a team that was defeated on both offense and defense. I don't doubt there are better coaches, but for the position UCONN is in (AAC), he is a viable option.

Yes he does and then OUT....new life they already screwed up 3 years ago time to make it a DONE deal.......

Reaction Score
Nice to see a solid performance, emotions and everybody jumping up and down. We beat
Memphis by a lot and suddenly that's the barometer for hiring our last chance coach.

I just finished watching Towson beat Fordham on ESPN3. They are a solid physical team with talent. We might have beaten them today - or not.

We would absolutely blow Towson out now. Allow me point out to you the areas we have improved since game one:

Coaching
Play Calling (PGDL were still very involved when they were here)
QB
Offensive Line (Hemingway was an open gate game one)
Running Backs (more Max)
WR everyone is involved now
Defensive line (we have been getting a lot of pressure lately)
Linebackers (our LB's were awful game one)
Defensive backs

I think we beat Randy now too. Everything on the team has changed for the better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not fair to couch it like that. If turnaround had happened sooner I'd be "all in" for TJ. But folks need to step back from euphoria of the moment.

What sucks is that TJ didn't have more power from the start of the season. Is there any doubt the playcalling since October has been better? Of course CC's performance has played a role as well.

It would have happened sooner except for a couple of dropped passes against USF.

Reaction Score
They're 2 - 10. Beat Army and Memphis.

I was responding to your post about yards. I know how many wins they have.

We scored 66 points, on offense, the last 2 weeks. Can't remember doing that recently.

We have bad QB's that sucked vs similar teams. We get a good QB that is accurate, and then some, and everyone wants to minimize it.

If PP and GDL were still here, we'd be 0-12 with Boyle still at QB. They never adjusted. That alone, the switch to CC, was a great coaching move.

Letting Shane Day call the plays. Another great call. Play the young WR's...great call. Using Max more...another great call. Motivating a team that is 0-9...good job.

I don't know if TJ is qualified. But he is a good coach on his way to being a very good coach, IMHO.

Reaction Score
We would absolutely blow Towson out now. Allow me point out to you the areas we have improved since game one:

Coaching
Play Calling (PGDL were still very involved when they were here)
QB
Offensive Line (Hemingway was an open gate game one)
Running Backs (more Max)
WR everyone is involved now
Defensive line (we have been getting a lot of pressure lately)
Linebackers (our LB's were awful game one)
Defensive backs

I think we beat Randy now too. Everything on the team has changed for the better.

I don't know where we are getting this, but our running back situation is not good.

Reaction Score
OK guys I recognize the improvement and as I said before I would not freak out if TJ was chosen but think there are probably better guys out there. However I refuse to buy in to the euphoria that borders on hallucination over these last three games. We have always had better talent than we have shown this year. Simplifying their roles and getting them to play anywhere close to their potential should be expected and not treated as a miracle. And any talk about a money saving move is insane at this point. If he's that good, pay him like he is. That's all.

Reaction Score
He's done what you'd expect an interim guy to do, win a few, lose a few. That's not a knock on him, it's just a caution about anointing him a program saving coach based on a few victories and the perception of the team having renewed vigor. Getting rid of fhcpp would get anyone excited. Showing renewed enthusiasm is a heck of a lot easier when the teams you play aren't all that great. Remember that this team placed with some starch in their poles against Michigan, I think in spite of fhcpp. Did we have an effort like that against another quality opponent? Suppose it's open to interpretation. Btw I can't stand fhcpp.

Reaction Score
He's done what you'd expect an interim guy to do, win a few, lose a few. That's not a knock on him, it's just a caution about anointing him a program saving coach based on a few victories and the perception of the team having renewed vigor. Getting rid of fhcpp would get anyone excited. Showing renewed enthusiasm is a heck of a lot easier when the teams you play aren't all that great. Remember that this team placed with some starch in their poles against Michigan, I think in spite of fhcpp. Did we have an effort like that against another quality opponent? Suppose it's open to interpretation. Btw I can't stand fhcpp.

I don't think many are advocating for Coach Weist to get the full time gig due to his few victories. I think many are saying that he took a team that was struggling in all facets of the game, and appeared to get the most out of the players he had.

Reaction Score
Against Memphis, it's not a big deal.

It's time to get a proven winner in here and see what he can do.

PP was a proven winner and we saw what he can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom