Tina Charles is so selfish... | The Boneyard

Tina Charles is so selfish...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How selfish is she? Well, she's so selfish that just gave half her salary to charity.

Linky

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
sigh. yes, this is one example of the kind of person she is.

how she handled the Sun was another example.

one does not negate the other.

Reaction Score
I don't know anyone who donates 50% of their income. Especially living in New York City and only making 100,000. I also didn't hear her say one bad word about the Sun. I did hear the Sun speak volumes about her. Think I will go with Tina on the high road.

Reaction Score
I don't know anyone who donates 50% of their income. Especially living in New York City and only making 100,000. I also didn't hear her say one bad word about the Sun. I did hear the Sun speak volumes about her. Think I will go with Tina on the high road.

You do realize she makes a considerably larger sum of money to play in Europe right? She's not trying to live in NYC on $100k and giving half to charity?

It doesn't negate what a tremendous thing she is doing, but it's far from donating half her income.

Reaction Score
Incredibly generous of Tina, however she didn't donate half her income, rather half her WNBA salary. She has been playing in Europe in the winter seasons and presumably earns more there than in the WNBA. Still incredibly generous of her.

U

UCONNfan1

I'm with you on the Sun thing. No longer a fan of that team. Love TCharles!

Reaction Score
What I'm hearing here is that someone may have done something both good and not so good. This utterly confuses me, since the media (and this board on occasion) teaches us that everyone can be classified as 100% good or 100% evil.
Need to process...

U

UCONNfan1

What I'm hearing here is that someone may have done something both good and not so good. This utterly confuses me, since the media (and this board on occasion) teaches us that everyone can be classified as 100% good or 100% evil.
Need to process...
Fixed your comments!

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Tina is a very generaous, giving person. No sane person could doubt that even before this announcement. I hated what went on between her and the Sun, but the fact is Tina always wanted to live and play in NY. She expressed her love for the city many, many times. This move was going to happen sooner or later. The ill will over the Tibeault firing and the miserable season last year just moved the timeline a bit. Still don't like her "negotiating" tactic, still don't like what the Sun did to Coach T, still like Tina, and still root for the Sun. We move on...

Reaction Score
Still don't like her "negotiating" tactic, .
I'm not sure any of us know anything about her negotiating tactic (INCLUDING the talking heads of the media)

psconn

Reaction Score
I'm not sure any of us know anything about her negotiating tactic (INCLUDING the talking heads of the media)

I was referring to "trade me or I sit out"... she confirmed that this was the case.

Reaction Score
So what! Even if that is her goal, some people are benefitting from her gift and there's a lot of people whose income blows Tina Charles's away who give NOTHING! I think it was a really great gesture!
The max she can write off for charity is 10% of her total income

psconn

Reaction Score
But we have no idea what transpired BEFORE that point.

First, we're wandering off the point. What lead up to Tina's ultimatum was not my point just the ultimatum itself.

Second, we do know a fair bit about what happened before that. Based on statements by Coach T and a few players, Sun management made a ham-handed firing that alienated veteran players who loved Coach T and they did so without a clear successor. Then they hire Ann Donovan who in many ways was Coach T's opposite. Chemistry began to suck, injuries made everything worse, effort on the court reflected a bunch of unhappy people going through the motions at times. And as season ticket holders we just had to sit by and watch. But in sports there always next year! 2013 was a bad situation, but not hopeless considering that a #1 overall pick was on the way and an All-Star guard was in the backcourt. But Tina did not want to come back, she was ready to stay at home for the summer season to effect the change. I understand where it comes from, but I don't like the ultimatum because sitting out disses the people (like me) who keep this league afloat with their hard earned money. People who pay that salary that Tina generously gives away. Consideration for the thousands of folks who shelled out good money to see Tina and the #1 draft pick right the Sun's ship did not hold enough importance to her to outweigh the other factors. Understood.

None of that means that Tina is a bad person, her concern for sudden cardiac distress cases, school kids in Africa, and probably many other things is noble and deserves acknowledgement. I wish her nothing but the best outside of WNBA basketball. As I said above, we move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom