Time To Stop Monitoring the Landscape | The Boneyard

Time To Stop Monitoring the Landscape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Time to start landscaping.

Hope Warde is putting a war chest together. Hiring a decent head football coach looks even more expensive than ever before.

Reaction Score
Like $4+ MM for Strong?

Holy couldn't believe it

This is clearly a bubble. Just wait till they have their first couple WTF losses.

Jurich and Louisville are still under pressure to look big time.

Reaction Score
Did Strong get $4+ million to stay at Ville? That is an unbelievable number. But it's worth it.

Say what you want. Louisville is doing what it takes to maintain big time athletics.

Reaction Score
Did Strong get $4+ million to stay at Ville? That is an unbelievable number. But it's worth it.

Say what you want. Louisville is doing what it takes to maintain big time athletics.

I agree with you, Jurich is doing what WVU should have done with RichRod.

But sooner or later someone who is being paid 4-5 Million a year is going to be a bust.

Reaction Score
I think this TV money is a larger bubble than coaches salary, granted you can argue they're tied and I wouldn't disagree.

I still don't understand the TV thinking. As I understand it, if you add School A in Market A then the assumption seems to be that School delivers Market A. It's like annexing territory. All of the subscriber fees etc.

If Rutgers is in the B1G will that really create more fan interest in the Michigan-tOSU game than there already is? I realize more people in New Jersey will be watching B1G games that involve Rutgers, but I wonder if that increase in viewership is big enough to justify the additional mouth to feed.

And if it were that simple, why wouldn't they just add any school in the market. If the B1G wants the Miami market, then why not add duckU? The other thing is, this northeastern corridor, has a big chunk of people in it that really don't give a crap about college sports, much less Michigan State against Minnesota in basketball.

Again, I really have no idea.

S

storrsbred1

I still don't understand the TV thinking. As I understand it, if you add School A in Market A then the assumption seems to be that School delivers Market A. It's like annexing territory. All of the subscriber fees etc.

If Rutgers is in the B1G will that really create more fan interest in the Michigan-tOSU game than there already is? I realize more people in New Jersey will be watching B1G games that involve Rutgers, but I wonder if that increase in viewership is big enough to justify the additional mouth to feed.

And if it were that simple, why wouldn't they just add any school in the market. If the B1G wants the Miami market, then why not add duckU? The other thing is, this northeastern corridor, has a big chunk of people in it that really don't give a crap about college sports, much less Michigan State against Minnesota in basketball.

Again, I really have no idea.

My understanding is that if a subscriber has the ability to watch on their TV, the league gets a cut, whether the subscriber watches or not. Doesn't matter which team or game, it is the ability of the subscriber to watch if they choose. So if a market has, for example, 2MM subscribers that can watch, even if none do, at a $1.55 per, it can add up.

I may be confused, but I think this is how it works.

Reaction Score
My understanding is that if a subscriber has the ability to watch on their TV, the league gets a cut, whether the subscriber watches or not. Doesn't matter which team or game, it is the ability of the subscriber to watch if they choose. So if a market has, for example, 2MM subscribers that can watch, even if none do, at a $1.55 per, it can add up.

I may be confused, but I think this is how it works.

That seems like the easiest money, ever. If true. It can't last! If a cable provider is paying $1.55 per provider to the B1G for a channel that not many people are watching, then why agree to give them that much money.

So then that goes to my other question. Why would it matter which school you add? What's the difference between Miami and F-U? Or FSU and USF?

There must be other economic factors.

S

storrsbred1

That seems like the easiest money, ever. If true. It can't last! If a cable provider is paying $1.55 per provider to the B1G for a channel that not many people are watching, then why agree to give them that much money.

So then that goes to my other question. Why would it matter which school you add? What's the difference between Miami and F-U? Or FSU and USF?

There must be other economic factors.

I think it comes down to how many subscribers (or potential subscribers) are in a particular market.

Reaction Score
The B10 network is a pay add on for New Jersey. What they want is to be part of the basic package.

Being on the basic plan means that you gain casual viewers that will not pay for the sports package or B10 network.

That increases revenue because every subscriber to that cable system is now charged for the B10 network and the B10 gains revenue directly from your monthly subscriber fee.

Additionally, if B10 network gets on basic your reach jumps and since ad rates are based on reach numbers, their ad revenue increases.

The B10 will put Rutgers on the B10 network which is currently on a pay channel. That should make Rutgers fans scream for games. They will ask that RU be put on basic. It's amazing what a few phone calls will do.

Reaction Score
So when your cable bill in NJ goes up again, you know who to blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baller29

Top Bottom