Time to step on the accelerator pedal, again. | The Boneyard

Time to step on the accelerator pedal, again.

Reaction Score
Many of the advantages we have as a team, including bench depth, twin bigs, Jordan's ability to stop and shoot in the blink of an eye, and Andre's chaos-producing athleticism, are maximized by playing at a faster sustained pace than other teams are capable of. This is how we played when we opened the season 8-0, and rarely found ourself behind in the score . However, somewhere along the line, we stopped running as much, and we stopped pressing as much, and those five extra fouls that come from having a second quality 5, became irrelevant. Our superpowers were being neutralized, and the field of play leveled, by our own deeds and decisions. At times it seems as if we're playing to only not lose. I really think we need to get back that style, and start playing to win.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agreed. The team became cautious for some reason, as if trying to protect some winning formula they figured they must have, given the great wins, but weren't sure what it was.

It was going all out.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Many of the advantages we have as a team, including bench depth, twin bigs, Jordan's ability to stop and shoot in the blink of an eye, and Andre's chaos-producing athleticism, are maximized by playing at a faster sustained pace than other teams are capable of. This is how we played when we opened the season 8-0, and rarely found ourself behind in the score . However, somewhere along the line, we stopped running as much, and we stopped pressing as much, and those five extra fouls that come from having a second quality 5, became irrelevant. Our superpowers were being neutralized, and the field of play leveled, by our own deeds and decisions. At times it seems as if we're playing to only not lose. I really think we need to get back that style, and start playing to win.
Post-against-handle

Reaction Score
I really don’t think we have bench depth other than at the 5. I hope our bench guards can provide something positive but it’s been a while.

pj

Reaction Score
I really don’t think we have bench depth other than at the 5. I hope our bench guards can provide something positive but it’s been a while.

Yes, apart from Clingan there hasn't been bench production since 2022. A lot of times players get worn down in the winter and are fresher in March. We'll see.

Reaction Score
easier said than done. somewhere along the way our high intensity full court pressure D backfired on us. we stopped forcing TOs and started getting called for fouls instead. overplaying on the perimeter allowed opposing teams to penetrate at will. once we stopped forcing TOs and getting stops we couldnt get out in transition anymore...

Reaction Score
Conference teams do a lot more scouting and game planning than the non conference teams we played. Crash the boards, use dribble penetration, double Adama down low, fight over screens , leave Andre alone on the outside and more than anything else get physical against us. We are easy to game plan against

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If they don't see the court you don't know what they can bring under real game situations

Reaction Score
Absolutely agree. I think we came to believe that our superpower was to dump it into Sanogo and get out of the way.

Reaction Score
1675807412766.gif

Reaction Score
Yes, depth and speed are to our advantage. However, teams, especially in league play and then the tournament can do things to slow us up. Zone. Slow rhier pace on offense, Multiple ball handlers. Get our perceived depth advantage in foul trouble. By going to the rim while we are spread out pressing or challenging to far from the basket.

Teams have adjusted. So do we.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
If they don't see the court you don't know what they can bring under real game situations
The bench guards have seen the court enough to show they have what it takes to not see it again. Those early games, we had productive bench guards in JoeyC and Diarra. Neither as lit it up in a pretty long while. They'll get their two or three minutes per half to see if they're hot. If not...

Reaction Score
The bench guards have seen the court enough to show they have what it takes to not see it again. Those early games, we had productive bench guards in JoeyC and Diarra. Neither as lit it up in a pretty long while. They'll get their two or three minutes per half to see if they're hot. If not...
Alleyne was very big tonight. Need that going forward.

Reaction Score
Yes, Alleyne was great and so was seeing that smile on his face. Newton too, love it when he's having fun. I feel this team has gotten over its doldrums.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom