Three Fun UConn NCAA Tournament Milestone Factoids | The Boneyard

Three Fun UConn NCAA Tournament Milestone Factoids

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
With all the talk of Geno milestones as win #900 approaches, there are a bunch of dazzlers from Tournament history for UConn.

21 - Number of consecutive years that UConn has won at least two games in the Tournament.
Consider the streak for some other WCBB power teams - Stanford (7), Tennessee (5), ND (5), Duke (0).

21 and 22 - Number of consecutive years that the teams in UConn's conference had a combined winning record, and since the last time they had a losing record.
Amazing Big East and AAC run. P5 conferences streak for years with a winning record ranges from 2 for B10 to 7 for PAC and B12.​

3 - Number of Tournament wins that UConn needs for both its and Auriemma's 100th Tournament win.
If UConn wins the NC, Geno at 103 will be trailing Pat Summitt by only 9 for most Tournament wins. PHS does lead Geno in losses, however, at 23 to 17, which is noteworthy since certain ND fans think that Tournament losses are some sort of mark of distinction.​

Plus, for those who have any interest in older UConn stats that are not available in the UConn archives, note that the NCAA does have an archive for all the teams, players (1999-present), and coaches that allows you search for any target. The same stats are used for the UConn media guide, but the NCAA tool lets you pinpoint data more easily, and for the players it shows their national ranking on certain stats. Site is at: http://web1.ncaa.org/stats/StatsSrv/careersearch
http://web1.ncaa.org/stats/StatsSrv/careersearch
One piece of info shown for the UConn 1994-95 team is that only one player who took more than 2 FTs on the team shot better than 75%, Jamelle Elliott. Freshman Nykesha Sales shot 58.4% from the line, a little reminiscent of a freshman on this year's team. There's hope a lot of hope for Gabby, as Sales shot 78.5% on FTs a a senior.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Dobbs, can you find the records for NCAA career scoring by player? I'm thinking Kaleena will be in the top 10 by April.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
For Tournament scoring, it looks like KML is at 291 for 17 games, which would put her in a tie for 16th on the current list. If she scores what she did last year (112), that would put her at 403 and in a tie for 5th with Griner, trailing only Holdsclaw, Moore, Ogwumike, and Taurasi.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hmmm. Griner, Holdsclaw, Ogwumike, Taurasi, and Moore. Some of the all-time greats. I believe they were All-Americans 2x, 3x, or 4x. 9 NCAA championships among them. K goes for 3. She's underrated.

Thanks for the research!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
That's just a projection, not reality yet. Would be nice to see KML play her usual all-around game but get 113 or more. You figure she won't get much time for points in the first game against "Please have mercy on us U," but if the 3s are swishing the rest of the way and she can average close to 20 in the last 5, she'll be top 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom