thread for frivolous realignment schemes | Page 4 | The Boneyard

thread for frivolous realignment schemes

Reaction Score
In a world where any realignment scenario is possible, you want to play Iowa, Northwestern, and Minnesota?
For all the money involved, guaranteed sellouts at home games, etc ---- YES. And, BTW along with the bottom of the barrel you picked, there'd also be games against Ohio State, Michigan. Penn State, etc. Need I go on? Honestly, if we ever got into the B1G it'd be the single most impactful sports transaction in the history of CT.

Reaction Score
For all the money involved, guaranteed sellouts at home games, etc ---- YES. And, BTW along with the bottom of the barrel you picked, there'd also be games against Ohio State, Michigan. Penn State, etc. Need I go on? Honestly, if we ever got into the B1G it'd be the single most impactful sports transaction in the history of CT.
Of course being in the Big 10 would be the best spot for UConn because of the payday. Over the Big 12 and acc or whatever. I agree. It’s what I always hoped would happen.

But as someone else pointed out, this is not that thread. This isn’t what we want to happen or even what we think might happen, just some alternatives to what is happening. For fun.

I like the idea of playing Syracuse and Boston college in basketball and football every year. And Penn state and West Virginia would be awesome at the rent. I think all those regional rivalries would be great for the fans.

in my scenario the Big 10 is:

Michigan
Illinois
Iowa
Indiana
Northwestern
Minnesota
Purdue
Wisconsin
Ohio state
Michigan state

The familiarity of playing every team in the conference every year is what creates great rivalries.

Reaction Score

The B1G would be amazing, but don't underestimate the impact the B12 will have. The Rent was always juiced for games against West Virginia as they were viewed as the elite football team in the old Big East, and I expect a similar juiced up Rent for games against OK State, TCU, KState etc. B12 football blows the old Big East out of the water in terms of quality of the football teams.

On another note the B1G also has a downside as there is a caste system in that football league that would be difficult to overcome, it's Michigan, Ohio State followed by Penn State and everyone else is in their enormous shadow. Rutgers faces an impossible schedule every year. The B12 however is now wide open for football (far more winnable), the top teams might change every year.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
ACC adds Cal, SMU, Stanford. In 2036, Clemson and FSU depart.

Intractable differences between the remaining magnificent 7 (more football minded, UNC, NC State, Miami, VA, VT) and the New 3 (west/SMU more academically minded) on who to add lead to further departures: ND decides to head to the B1G with Miami. UNC and NC State are added elsewhere. VA and VT are left scrambing for a home, with one each ending up in the SEC/B1G. ACC is left with:

Cal
SMU
Stanford
Pitt
Syracuse
Wake Forest
Duke
BC
Louisville
Georgia Tech

The conference has some nice brands and markets but is extremely vulnerable. The remaining members immediately agree to add UConn and USF to backfill, getting back up to 12 members.

Hard to say what happens next though. If the Big 12 didn't disintegrate after 2031, they'll probably grab Louisville and Pitt. In that scenario, the ACC would take Temple and Memphis.

Strong Big 12 scenario:

Cal
SMU
Stanford
Syracuse
Wake Forest
Duke
BC
Georgia Tech
UConn
Memphis
Temple
USF

If it's weak, this ACC keeps Pitt and Louisville around and takes WVU and Cincy. It probably should also add 2-4 Western/Colorado schools, but not sure which

Weak Big 12 scenario

Cal
SMU
Stanford
Syracuse
Wake Forest
Duke
BC
Georgia Tech
UConn
USF
Pitt
Louisville
WVU
Cincy

Reaction Score
Pac4 raids the Big West for the UCs (except maybe Riverside? seems their athletics future is in question) and Cal Poly for highly regarded non-football members. Pac4 + UConn (Big East) + UMass (A10) + Army (Patriot) + Navy (Patriot) for football. Add Air Force in all sports when they can get out of the MWC for free, maybe Hawaii takes their MWC place as a full member. Stanford/Cal get their respected athletics partners, non-revenue sports stay regional, put together a respectable football conference with 8 games leaving plenty of room for the important non-con matchups. I'd have to think Apple would have some interest in media rights for such a thing. Maybe not the $20mil but more than the $7mil Cal/Stanford would get from the ACC for traveling every sport crosscountry.

Football (9):
Cal
Stanford
OSU
WSU
UConn
UMass
Army
Navy
Air Force

Non-football (10 or 11):
Cal
Stanford
OSU
WSU
Air Force
Cal Poly
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC San Diego
UC Santa Barbara
UC Riverside?

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
Pac4 raids the Big West for the UCs (except maybe Riverside? seems their athletics future is in question) and Cal Poly for highly regarded non-football members. Pac4 + UConn (Big East) + UMass (A10) + Army (Patriot) + Navy (Patriot) for football. Add Air Force in all sports when they can get out of the MWC for free, maybe Hawaii takes their MWC place as a full member. Stanford/Cal get their respected athletics partners, non-revenue sports stay regional, put together a respectable football conference with 8 games leaving plenty of room for the important non-con matchups. I'd have to think Apple would have some interest in media rights for such a thing. Maybe not the $20mil but more than the $7mil Cal/Stanford would get from the ACC for traveling every sport crosscountry.

Football (9):
Cal
Stanford
OSU
WSU
UConn
UMass
Army
Navy
Air Force

Non-football (10 or 11):
Cal
Stanford
OSU
WSU
Air Force
Cal Poly
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC San Diego
UC Santa Barbara
UC Riverside?
I would think they could probably poach some AAC teams at the very least (beyond Navy)

Reaction Score
I would think they could probably poach some AAC teams at the very least (beyond Navy)
SMU, Rice, and/or Tulane make some level of sense especially for football only but there are challenges. Temple also makes sense as a football only add

Reaction Score
Options are getting very frivolous these days...

B1G (18): UNC, UVA, ND, Miami
SEC (16): FSU, Clemson, NCST, GT, VT, Louisville
XII (16): holds

ACC:
BC
Pitt
Syracuse
UConn
Temple
Buffalo
Army

Duke
Wake
Tulane
USF
SMU
Rice
Navy

Stanford
Cal
Boise St
Fresno St
San Diego St
UNLV
Air Force

Orc

Reaction Score
Options are getting very frivolous these days...

XII (16): holds

ACC:
BC
Pitt
Syracuse
UConn
Temple
Buffalo
Army

Duke
Wake
Tulane
USF
SMU
Rice
Navy

Stanford
Cal
Boise St
Fresno St
San Diego St
UNLV
Air Force
Pitt and Duke will land somewhere. So gross that this is the future that Uconn is stating at. Id rather we stay in the big east then be in the same conference as these AAC dregs all over again.

Reaction Score
You're right, they both likely go XII in that scenario and leave UConn with an even worse group

Reaction Score
XII (16): Duke, Pitt

ACC:
BC
UMass
Syracuse
UConn
Temple
Buffalo
Army

Memphis
Wake
Tulane
USF
SMU
Rice
Navy

Stanford
Cal
Boise St
Fresno St
San Diego St
UNLV
Air Force

On a bright side, maybe in this scenario the XII takes two more schools so the B1G, SEC, and XII can split out into their own division with 64 schools. Maybe UConn makes that final cut?

Reaction Score
XII (16): Duke, Pitt

ACC:
BC
UMass
Syracuse
UConn
Temple
Buffalo
Army

Memphis
Wake
Tulane
USF
SMU
Rice
Navy

Stanford
Cal
Boise St
Fresno St
San Diego St
UNLV
Air Force

On a bright side, maybe in this scenario the XII takes two more schools so the B1G, SEC, and XII can split out into their own division with 64 schools. Maybe UConn makes that final cut?
Oregon State, Washington State, Louisville. UConn would get bumped by App State or something. Rule #1

Reaction Score
If we are posting an absolute fantasy conference in a NCAA untethered to any realities, I propose this hybrid 24-team ECAC-type super conference. This includes 9 FBS programs, 9 FCS programs, 6 non-football schools; and comprises the "historic core" of the Big East, A-10, Yankee Conference and few others; and is limited to New England, NY, NJ, PA, and MD :)

Albany
Army
Boston College
Boston University
Buffalo
Central Connecticut
Connecticut
Fordham
Holy Cross
Maine
Massachusetts
Navy
New Hampshire
Northeastern
Providence
Rutgers
Rhode Island
St. John's
Seton Hall
Stony Brook
Syracuse
Temple
Vermont
Villanova

Reaction Score
If we are posting an absolute fantasy conference in a NCAA untethered to any realities, I propose this hybrid 24-team ECAC-type super conference. This includes 9 FBS programs, 9 FCS programs, 6 non-football schools; and comprises the "historic core" of the Big East, A-10, Yankee Conference and few others; and is limited to New England, NY, NJ, PA, and MD :)

Albany
Army
Boston College
Boston University
Buffalo
Central Connecticut
Connecticut
Fordham
Holy Cross
Maine
Massachusetts
Navy
New Hampshire
Northeastern
Providence
Rutgers
Rhode Island
St. John's
Seton Hall
Stony Brook
Syracuse
Temple
Vermont
Villanova
Pittsburgh! Maybe Georgetown too.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Oliver Luck's - Lucky 8 conference. Last boat out.

• Overarching requirement; find schools that the academic elites at Stanford and Cal can tolerate.
  • Bifurcated comp structure, 60% to the PAC4 schools and 40% split to the others for the initial media contract.
  • Critical requirement, must somehow keep their seat in the Autonomous 5 table and with the auto birth to the CFB. Is that possible? I have my doubts.
  • This is basically a conference intended to serve as a life boat through 2030/2035.

Regional Concept Scenario - keep it small/keep it managable:
1) Stanford
2) Cal
3) Oregon St
4) Wash St
5) SMU
6) Tulane
7) San Diego St.
8) Air Force or Colorado St.

National Concept Scenario - more markets/satisfy media partners:
1) Stanford
2) Cal
3) Oregon St
4) Wash St
5) SMU
6) Tulane
7) San Diego St.
9) USF
10) ECU
11) Navy football only
12) UConn football only
bubble schools: Rice and Temple

Academic Intolerables:
Memphis/Boise St/all Sun Belt schools.

Reaction Score
Regional Concept Scenario - keep it small/keep it managable:
1) Stanford
2) Cal
3) Oregon St
4) Wash St
5) SMU
6) Tulane
7) San Diego St.
Is a conference stretching from Washington to Louisiana small or manageable?

Reaction Score
This is what just could have happened
The ACC protects itself from future poaching it knows will occur:
Expanded by
adding
UConn
SMU
Tulane
USF
Navy
To Core ACC
Miami
Ga Tech
Duke
NCS
Va Tech
Pitt
Louisville
Wake
Syracuse
BC
It then poaches the exposed eastern wing of the Big 12
West Va
UCF
Cincinnati
Maybe even another Texas School Houston TCU

Northern Div old Big East
UConn , BC , Cuse , Pitt , WVa Navy
Southern
Va Tech , Duke , Wake , NCS Miami , UCF , USF
Non Atlantic Div
Louisville
Cincinnati
SMU
Tulane
Ga tech

Other Options
Memphis
Army
Temple

That’s not fantasy
That’s what should have happened it didn’t so the ACC is doing crazy stuff .

Last edited:
Reactions: Orc

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
If this was proposed at the beginning of this thread:

"ACC gets Stanford and Cal from the P12 ruins," followed by "SMUs boosters pay the TV rights difference to join the ACC"

...it would have been laughed out of the room.

Just some perspective on this sad morning between football and this nonsense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom