Thoughts..... | The Boneyard

Thoughts.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
#1 some of the posts are embarrassing. The thought that KO lost them, all of them at least , is ridiculous. I mean the team they trudged out there couldn't compete with CCSU and thheir league schedule hardly. Well compete yes, win doubtful all that often.

I will say this, all Ten Toes weren't in on one particular player and that was not the first time. I am beginning to have my doubts about the Boatshow and KO needs to know things will change prior to next year. His defense was as embarrassing as some of the threads here.......his defensive effort usually falls a bit short for me anyway but I forgive as this is his style, but last night there was ZERO effort to help the team on that end and I wouldn't mind if he sat vs PC.......he needs to rethink his plan in 2013-14 before returning from what I can see because that is a problem!

Anyone crying about last night or Saturday needs to take a deep breath. Tyler had a decent first half and then he's on crutches, no Giff or Bazz and Omar is obviously hurting.......there is no firepower outside of DD who is seemingly coming into his own in a big way. Think about this, if you know RJ Evans (nothing against RJ his effort is fantastic) is going to play 32 minutes how you feeling about any game, nevermind a BE game??

They have had a tremendous season and got T-Boned at the end of the year with the injury bug, happens. I am happy with what they achieved and will watch Saturday hoping they can pull the absolute biggest upset of the year with the team they will put out there. If not, no biggie, I got more than what I expected and can't wait for 13-14 now!!

Reaction Score
That is how I saw it. It was more about running out of bodies, and the mental fatigue that goes with it. Than the coach "losing" them.

That having been said, I hope Omar's play is because of the injury, because otherwise ugh. And, if Boatright is going pro now, I just hope he can adjust to the cuisine in the Phillipines or Australia.

Reaction Score
Ollie implored the team to stretch their hands to cut down the passing lanes but they continued to play with them dropped. Of all players this game I missed Giffey. He's not our best but he plays Ollie basketball all game and always leaves his mark. We had no leadership or floor direction last night and looked out of sync.

Another thing is that there was a lot of one on one basketball. Maybe one pass but then it was a quick shot, inadvisable drive, or turnover. That layup that Boat got fouled on trying to dunk it was unnecessary. Bazz has made a hundred of those in same situation without dunking.

Someone said this is our real team and they wore disguises all season. Well that may be true but then Ollie must be COY because he got 19/20 wins with this group. I'm not certain even Calhoun could have done that.

Reaction Score
Giffey is remarkable athlete his motor is never turned off, he could play 2 games in a row. that's why we missed him. What I don't understand is why we didn't just feed deandre and space the floor for open threes. OH YEAH. Evans was in. The depeltion of our roster really was exposed last night.ko didn't lose them, his personnel put him in a stronghold. Nolan coulda got minutes.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That is how I saw it. It was more about running out of bodies, and the mental fatigue that goes with it. Than the coach "losing" them.

I agree. As far as the big picture goes, this loss has no legs. That what makes this "lost the team" stuff such BS. Reminds me of a situation in horse racing where a good horse goes out faster than it's used to, loses energy and staggers home losing by 15 lengths or so. You can get a good price next time out as many just see the final result.

Reaction Score
I think people are missing the obvious here, which is that we threw these last two games to help out our conference mates.

Reaction Score
This season was a major success given all the adversity, but I would really like to finish strong and get win #20 on Saturday. You cannot afford any injuries when you are already limited to 10 scholarships due to NCAA. It's going to be nice to be back up to 13 next year. Anyway, I'm happy with most of the players development, and Olliewood proved that he can flat out coach. While I agree with most of the Boatright criticisms I think he just hit an incredible slump, and something is off mentally. I still love the kid for staying loyal, and he's a big reason we beat Cuse, MSU, and Notre Dame etc.

Reaction Score
What I don't understand is why we didn't just feed deandre and space the floor for open threes.

The two bodies that ran at Deandre whenever he touched the ball in the second half may have had something to do with that.

Reaction Score
The two bodies that ran at Deandre whenever he touched the ball in the second half may have had something to do with that.
It had something to do with it? If Daniels was double and triple teamed the way he was, ollie could have told our team to space the floor so two ball
Reversals would give us an open three/drive. Daniels can make that pass. heck the lack of ball reversal in general was atrocious. look at the nba. Whole offenses are built off a teams best player bein doubled, and other guys stepping up. Ie Tim Duncan. Reversing the ball to the weak side is something boatright is oblivious to

Reaction Score
These are pretty much my thoughts also. This team is missing pieces and beat up so there is no way to sit Boatright. The alternative would be starting Allen and Evans in the backcourt and that is scary.
We had some outstanding wins this season, locked down Ollie and had a resonably good recruiting class. No Uconn team has played harder. Daniels has gone from garbage time to a stud. Other than the conference insanity, things are looking up and I'm looking forward to next season.

Reaction Score
It had something to do with it? If Daniels was double and triple teamed the way he was, ollie could have told our team to space the floor so two ball
Reversals would give us an open three/drive. Daniels can make that pass. heck the lack of ball reversal in general was atrocious. look at the nba. Whole offenses are built off a teams best player bein doubled, and other guys stepping up. Ie Tim Duncan. Reversing the ball to the weak side is something boatright is oblivious to

The fact that Boatright is not good at reversing the ball away from pressure presumably combined with the fact that, once the ball swung away from Daniels and Boatright, we didn't have anyone on the floor who could hit an open shot.

It's not usually about coaching. It's usually about whether your players are good enough. Last night, with the injuries and the way some players are playing, we did not have a team capable of winning that game.

Reaction Score
I agree it's the depletion of roster. for some reason Im still ecstatic on how Daniels was abusing tall athletic defenders. that's what I take out of the game I guess

Reaction Score
I remember the year Cliffy got suspended and JC had to start a walkon and Uconn got killed each game. In a horse race, you got to have horses. Show me a team with Evans and Nolan out there on offense and if the other three guys are not Lebron, Wade and Allen you aren't going to have a very effective half court set.

Reaction Score
I'm actually curious why Nolan didn't play every minute that man is fearless. He just needs to raise his defensive awareness so his lack of rotation doesn't leave him
In no mans land.

Reaction Score
Let's also remember, this team hit the season running hard with a huge effort against Michigan State. It's hard to whip the horse the entire track. This one lost it's steam down the stretch and needs to learn what "winning" takes the entire year. It'll come.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Someone said this is our real team and they wore disguises all season. Well that may be true but then Ollie must be COY because he got 19/20 wins with this group. I'm not certain even Calhoun could have done that.

Last spring, many feared an entire season that would look like last night's game. "40 minutes of wtf" was floated and quoted. It took until last week to get low on gas, then coast a bit on fumes and finally breakdown on the side of the road. Death by a thousand cuts, perhaps. Count me with those who have enjoyed watching this year and didn't enjoy watching last year. Actually, maybe loved this year and hated last year works better.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I remember the year Cliffy got suspended and JC had to start a walkon and Uconn got killed each game.

Not every game. The Boston Herald wrote that January that if Cliffy and Gamble got suspended the Huskies would field the "worst team in the history of the Big East." First game after the suspensions UConn beat BCU. At BCU. On ESPN. That's when I knew for sure we had the right coach. They also beat SHU in the Civic Center to end the season.

Reaction Score
I remember posting after the Georgetown loss that the Cincy game would be Ollie's toughest coaching job of the year. He got through that one, but the problems I thought would arise then showed up in the second half yesterday. Sometimes, a team thats been fighting and fighting just loses hits a wall, either when theres nothing left to fight for or the cumulative effect of too many body blows, and doesn't have its usual fight. Happens in sports sometimes. Happened in 1999 with Rip and Jake out. Happens to pros, too - even in playoffs when they see it ending. The Lakers in Game 6 against Celtics and the series loss to Mavs when Bynum went WWE on them spring to mind.

It doesn't mean that it should be shrugged off with an "oh well" - it can be a teaching tool and a point of reference. Next year, when our intensity wanes, Ollie can say "remember USF last year, that's the way you look right now." I'd say we should have a brutal practice to teach them a lesson, but we can't afford to do that with six players. Really we need to just rest their bodies and instill the mental desire to put in one last quality fight - whether the carrot be 20 wins, ending year on high note, personal pride, etc. I think we will - may not be enough to win, but we'll battle.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Clearly they did run out of bodies... player talent level differential in the second half was remarkable. DD had a great game, but couldn't overcome double and triple teams in the second half.
The different personnel available had a huge, negative effect on the team defense from the start of the game. Boat was playing way too far off of Collins to hinder his entry passes. His quickness should be pretty close to Collins, so you would think he could actually pressure the ball somewhat without allowing him to blow by him, but even sagging off, he allowed Collins the driveway too easily. Evans certainly tried throughout the game but just doesn't understand how to position himself in the team offense to effectively cover for the other players.
Not at all surprisingly, Brendan Allen was also awful on defensive positioning, as Nolan has also been all year.
Throughout the game, at least two of these poor team defenders were in together. South Florida's guards and
wings are considerably taller and more athletic than the players we put out there. Those factors together equal horrid team defense.
DD was outstanding in the first half and almost single-handedly
kept us in the game.
Unfortunately, Boat got really down on himself and this attitude became contagious to a certain degree.

Reaction Score
Ricky Moore and a couple of other staff members were just in my restaurant for dinner. I was chatting with him about the game on Saturday and he asked me if I have any eligibility!! Looks like I might be suitin' up!! Really nice guys who also represent the University well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom