Thoughts on Tonight's Game (K, State) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Thoughts on Tonight's Game (K, State)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I can also attest to it being boink not oink. It's "boink" for each dribble, "uhhhhh" when they're holding the ball, "pass" when they pass it, "shot" when they shoot it, and "miss" when they miss the shot. I am a former recent student and partook in all the student cheers and stood the whole game :) The students are the best (loudest) cheerleaders/fans there! Only thing they do which I never liked is turning their backs when the opponents lineups are announced.

Reaction Score
I don't know what exactly the band was saying - I was at the other base line. I will tell you, that it appeared/sounded demeaning to the opponent, especially when they were down by 30 - 40 points. I agree with the previous poster that it displayed a lack of class.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
This thread was unintentionally humorous

pig2.jpg

and it also got me wanting a cheeseburger with bacon... or a blt :oops:

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
You have to be careful. KLS needs to do what she does in practice because that is what the rest of the team is expecting her to do. When she is wide open she shoots and the other players either start dropping back or crashing the offensive board. If she starts giving up those shots now you have 4 players out of position.
In response to iambs-
I think one of her/KLS's- primary roles, talents & reasons for being here is draining 3's when open. She was the best 3 pt shooter in HS. Obviously Geno will want her to improve other parts of her game over time. I think one of her primary roles is to spread the defense because of her outside shooting, thereby opening up the lane for others to post up and score easily. And to shoot the 3 like KMS every time she is open & set! :)

Reaction Score
Did no one notice that Katie Lou injured or aggravated an existing injury to her right hand during the first half?

Lou was holding it gingerly and high fining only with her left hand when she left in the first half; and, immediately sought attention from the trainer.

She made both of her baskets subsequent to the "injury" so I hope it is minor.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I don't know what exactly the band was saying - I was at the other base line. I will tell you, that it appeared/sounded demeaning to the opponent, especially when they were down by 30 - 40 points. I agree with the previous poster that it displayed a lack of class.
I've been pondering this issue all night- and I havnt been able to sleep!
I know it's college and they need to have fun and be kids. It is also difficult as "adult" fans, and hearing these cheers during our normal routs. They should be saved for the games vs the top 10 teams, and for lesser teams they should invoke the 20 pt "Mercy Rule". I'm going to e mail Warde. Jim Calhoun, Geno & Rebecca Lobo- I think this response would be appropriate, measured & fair. Plus, we don't want the band or cheerleaders boycotting or threatening one in the future. And especially in March!!!!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I've been pondering this issue all night- and I havnt been able to sleep!
I know it's college and they need to have fun and be kids. It is also difficult as "adult" fans, and hearing these cheers during our normal routs. They should be saved for the games vs the top 10 teams, and for lesser teams they should invoke the 20 pt "Mercy Rule". I'm going to e mail Warde. Jim Calhoun, Geno & Rebecca Lobo- I think this response would be appropriate, measured & fair. Plus, we don't want the band or cheerleaders boycotting or threatening one in the future. And especially in March!!!!
CommentPhotos.com_1407346387.jpg

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
In response to iambs-
I think one of her/KLS's- primary roles, talents & reasons for being here is draining 3's when open. She was the best 3 pt shooter in HS. Obviously Geno will want her to improve other parts of her game over time. I think one of her primary roles is to spread the defense because of her outside shooting, thereby opening up the lane for others to post up and score easily. And to shoot the 3 like KMS every time she is open & set! :)
In order to be an effective 3-point shooter and open the floor for teammates as you suggest the plan is, you have to make the shot. KML was a threat because she made shots. Standing at the 3-point line and chucking up shots doesn't make her threat, she's open because she's missed most of her 3's in the first two games. MoJet went through a similar stretch two seasons ago where teams didn't guard her because her outside shot wasn't falling. No less an authority than LeBron James said that sometimes when your outside shot isn't falling you need to get closer to the cup, lay-ups, free throws, or dunks. He says a shooter needs to see and feel the ball going through the basket and that will help the outside shot. I'm not suggesting that KLS abandon the 3-point shot or that she's not a great shooter and its only been two games, but lay-ups and mid-range jumpers may get her into her rhythm, drives to the cup will also result in free throws which is another way to see the ball go through the basket.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
In order to be an effective 3-point shooter and open the floor for teammates as you suggest the plan is, you have to make the shot. KML was a threat because she made shots. Standing at the 3-point line and chucking up shots doesn't make her threat, she's open because she's missed most of her 3's in the first two games. MoJet went through a similar stretch two seasons ago where teams didn't guard her because her outside shot wasn't falling. No less an authority than LeBron James said that sometimes when your outside shot isn't falling you need to get closer to the cup, lay-ups, free throws, or dunks. He says a shooter needs to see and feel the ball going through the basket and that will help the outside shot. I'm not suggesting that KLS abandon the 3-point shot or that she's not a great shooter and its only been two games, but lay-ups and mid-range jumpers may get her into her rhythm, drives to the cup will also result in free throws which is another way to see the ball go through the basket.
There was a play where Lou was at the arc with the ball, thinking about a three, but she took a couple steps in and nailed a 15 footer from the elbow. It was a pretty shot and the crowd showed its appreciation. That's the way to get started and I think the freshman is figuring it out.

I, personally, am not in the least worried about Lou's shot. Remember Maria Conlon going like 0-16 before hitting three threes in a row in South Bend? Shooters shoot, as well they should, and eventually they'll fall.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure it was 0-31 but could be wrong. Some years back, Stephen Jay Gould co-authored a study on shot-making, which seemed to prove the counter-intuitive proposition that a player's likelihood of sinking a particular shot correlated with one thing only; the player's over-all average on that type of shot. The results of the immediate past, positive or negative, had no bearing on the likelihood of the particular shot hitting or missing. In other words, hot streaks and cold streaks have no effect. A player is no more nor less likely to sink a given shot if she has just made five in a row or missed 15. The law of large numbers says that although a coin will come up heads close to 50% of the time over a great number of flips, there will be streaks when it comes up heads (or tails) many times in a row. The odds on each flip are still 50/50. Lou is a 40+ shooter and before long she will have a 6/7 game. Over her career here she will average 40+.

Reaction Score
Oh for crying out loud. Please don't write the AD and make a fool of yourself. Pig noises???? Seriously? OMG have you never been to a game before?

Boink. BOINK. As in bouncing the ball. Geez people, what the hell's the matter with some of you? SMH.

images (1).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#