Thoughts on last nite USF game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Thoughts on last nite USF game

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The problem with UConns guards is opponents with good guards blow by us. We also blow by their guards. The biggest difference is we have the bigs who can blow shots when our guards get beat. IMO there are very few guards that cant beat their opponent one on one. For UConn their bigs do a terrific job of weak side help. UConns weakness will be when our bigs get in foul trouble. We need one big underneath and another up front. That's when our defense is the best. High low on offense and defense is UConns strength. When Morgan and Kiah were in foul trouble USF was able to get inside the 3 pt line and hit a lot of shots.
Morgan and Stewie played most of the second half, and USF still got 47 points. The help defense really was NOT working in the second half on Monday night. I assume that will be addressed before the NCAA tournament starts.

But, oddly, the defense was fine in the first half with Morgan sitting for most of the time and Kiah in the game only briefly. I still think the main issue in the second half was fatigue.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I still think the main issue in the second half was fatigue.
Are you ignoring the fact that USF also played three games in three days, plus played the late game Sunday night, plus had to play down to the wire, rather than a blowout. Plus 4 USF players played 40 minutes.

Reaction Score
Just watched a replay of the game. Didn't look as bad the second time around! It seemed to me that USF were hitting some tough shots in the second half. They also played their fast players to create opportunities. Combine that with some physical play and they just kept UConn from getting into their rhythm.

Didnt help that UConn's three point shooting was mostly MIA. Looked like UConn was not expecting the adjustments they made to start the second half either. Although USF scored well in the second half, it seemed like a good amount came late and on free throws.

The officiating was, at best, uneven! The last call on Stoke's block was mind-boggling. There was literally daylight between the players!!!

Still, UConn came though when they had to. They beat a very good team when their outside shooting wasn't working as it usually did and they had some surprising "brain farts" both offensively and defensively. Nice to have a "learning experience" that wasn't really close to a loss!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Are you ignoring the fact that USF also played three games in three days, plus played the late game Sunday night, plus had to play down to the wire, rather than a blowout. Plus 4 USF players played 40 minutes.
I realize that fatigue should have affected both teams, but still, in the first half when presumably neither team was overly fatigued, USF was held to 23 points. I think UConn's defensive effectiveness relies on high intensity, which did appear not to be present in the second half. As I said, I'm sure a double-digit lead contributed to UConn's inability to "play through" their fatigue, whereas USF was definitely playing to impress the Selection Committee and even possibly win the game.

Regarding OldAlum's comment about the officiating and specifically the call on Stokes, it is true that UConn had many more field goals than USF and the closeness in the score was attributable to USF shooting many more free throws. Not exactly what you would expect with "home cooking". However, while I thought the call on Kiah Stokes near the end of the game was really bad when I saw it live, I changed my mind when I watched the replay in super-slow-motion. Kiah's arm did make contact with the shooter's forehead before the shot was released, and then it came over and touched the shooter's arm as the ball was being released. It was actually a valid call. Even though I thought I read Kiah's lips saying "You cannot be serious!" to the official after the play (channeling her inner McEnroe).

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
The issue with KML was about the match up. That same match up was exploited by KML at the other. The issue as I saw it was more about the help defense not getting the job done because just looking at paper it was clear that it was not a good match for Kaleena.
Bingo Icebear! KMl was actually guarding Williams intentionally a few times. Not because of a switch.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I realize that fatigue should have affected both teams, but still, in the first half when presumably neither team was overly fatigued, USF was held to 23 points. I think UConn's defensive effectiveness relies on high intensity, which did appear not to be present in the second half. As I said, I'm sure a double-digit lead contributed to UConn's inability to "play through" their fatigue, whereas USF was definitely playing to impress the Selection Committee and even possibly win the game.

Regarding OldAlum's comment about the officiating and specifically the call on Stokes, it is true that UConn had many more field goals than USF and the closeness in the score was attributable to USF shooting many more free throws. Not exactly what you would expect with "home cooking". However, while I thought the call on Kiah Stokes near the end of the game was really bad when I saw it live, I changed my mind when I watched the replay in super-slow-motion. Kiah's arm did make contact with the shooter's forehead before the shot was released, and then it came over and touched the shooter's arm as the ball was being released. It was actually a valid call. Even though I thought I read Kiah's lips saying "You cannot be serious!" to the official after the play (channeling her inner McEnroe).
I am with you- at the court I was in that corner and didn't see the foul- clear as day on the DVR! She reached long and swiped down and got her arm. Gabby got nailed for a foul playing perfect vertical defense close to that possession.

Reaction Score
" . . . the problem was exclusively with defense, and in this case, the defensive problem existed only in the second half. To allow 47 points to any team (let alone USF) in one half is a major defensive breakdown -- which is proven by the fact that USF got only 23 points in the first half."

I agree, and just like the Stanford game the biggest defensive liability was Mosqueda-Lewis. I watched the 2nd half yesterday and she got beat on defense several times. I think USF scored 9-14 2nd half points by going at KML. I think Piccozzi repeated "she went right past Mosqueda Lewis . . ." at least 3 times.
Actually Uconn bene-fitted from Morgan, and Kiah getting 2 fouls in the first half, Gabby with Breanna, and KML, Moriah, and another guard. Both Offensively, and Defensively, against a smaller lineup that unit was for that game much better.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think the chances Samuelson starts next year are slim and none. Geno all but let the cat out of the bag when he mentioned her defensive issues to the ESPN crew the other day.
Yeah, but Kaleena has started for 3 years and plays major minutes. I didn't read that as anything more than a message to Lou that she needs to improve on the defensive end. If Lou shoots like K, she needs to be on the floor. K opens up the offense.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Actually Uconn bene-fitted from Morgan, and Kiah getting 2 fouls in the first half, Gabby with Breanna, and KML, Moriah, and another guard. Both Offensively, and Defensively, against a smaller lineup that unit was for that game much better.
But we were blowing them away in the first half b 4 the foul trouble hit. Not sure about losing Morgan was a benefit. But gabby in for Kiah certainly livened it up- gabby may become the first person off the bench in the Tmt. She may have iced addl playing time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom