This staff is a goshdarn disaster with getting plays in. | The Boneyard

This staff is a goshdarn disaster with getting plays in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How the fahk do you go from 1st and goal at the 1/2 yd, line get a delay of game get pushed out to the six and still can't get a goshdarn play in?????

Enough already. How long does it take to iron this out???

Reaction Score
It has been a problem every frigging game this year.

Reaction Score
tjhusky said:
Everyone except the ref thought that that Shirrefs TD non call was going to be reviewed. Then tried to call time out. 50% Us 50 % refs on that one.

He was calling time at the end. Nothing to see here.

Reaction Score
Verducci just pisses me off sometimes with his play calls. UCF f$cked up and gave us 2 points plus the ball, this was the time to stick the dagger in them, but here comes Verducci calling a play where he has Johnson bouncing it to the outside. Wtf??? We lost 4 yards on that play. Why? Verducci, why? The kid is 230 lbs run him up the middle dummy.

Reaction Score
And the beat goes on. Another blown time out cause of this.

There is a lot to like about this staff. The fact that we just showed a HB pass, to go along with a flea flicker, and fake punts and fgs already this year are welcomed changes from the boring approaches of the previous two staffs but for the life of me I've never seen a worse staff at any of level of football at getting plays in. Inexcusable at this level.

Reaction Score
First one was totally on officials, but hear we go again having to call to after coming out of huddle with 10 on clock

Reaction Score
Santini35 said:
First one was totally on officials, but hear we go again having to call to after coming out of huddle with 10 on clock

Yep. Maddening.

Reaction Score
I counted six (6) times that we had trouble getting the play in. Obviously the worst is wen we had the ball on the one yard line and lost five yards to a penalty.

BTW, why doesn't the press ever ask why this happens?

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
It's not just the timing. It's the play calling in crucial situations.

90% of the time, the play calling is fine. But in important situations (4th and goal yesterday, the fake field goal at Mizzou), we completely bungle it. Even a drunk sitting at a bar and watching on TV could make better crunch time decisions.

Hopefully that's just part of Diaco's learning curve and it will improve fast.

Reaction Score
Well if today is gripe day after the best point production in some time: When is the staff going to stop calling for a pass play on 1st down? How many times did Sherriffs get sacked or the line get called for holding, thereby leaving the offense 2 downs to overcome a huge yardage deficit?
I kid. I kid. I'll take the 40 points.

Reaction Score
It's not just the timing. It's the play calling in crucial situations.

90% of the time, the play calling is fine. But in important situations (4th and goal yesterday, the fake field goal at Mizzou), we completely bungle it. Even a drunk sitting at a bar and watching on TV could make better crunch time decisions.

Hopefully that's just part of Diaco's learning curve and it will improve fast.
I think you pretty much got it here-an example being when they went for it on 4th and a LONG 1 on the Goal Line with the QB sneak. I have NO PROBLEM with going for it, and I get that if you have faith in your defense that they will take care of it from there if you fail and get you the ball back in good position. However, don't do a QB sneak when it is MORE than a yard to go around the Goal Line. The coaching point there for the QB is to wait a blink before plowing ahead since they needed more than just the length of the football-see where a crease presents itself and THEN hit that spot. I like the fact that our OC has shown he is willing to gamble a bit. And by extension, the HC as well since he has to sign off on risky play calls.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Seems like staff has paralysis by analysis in crucial situations like 3rd and short or 1st and goal.

The cynic in me says they get caught off guard as if they weren't expecting to be successful enough to get in that position.

The realist says there's definitely a breakdown between booth and sideline calling in plays and getting the correct personnel packages in the huddle.

This shouldn't be hard to figure out with game tape and audio. Go to the film room and start the stop watch. Find the culprit and correct behavior.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
While I agree that these delay penalties or forced time outs are happening too often, beyatching about it when this team is worlds more entertaining than any we've had in four years is, IMHO, not seeing the forest for the trees. While there have been some kinda strange play calls, overall, I find it hard to complain about the offense.

Reaction Score
While I agree that these delay penalties or forced time outs are happening too often, beyatching about it when this team is worlds more entertaining than any we've had in four years is, IMHO, not seeing the forest for the trees. While there have been some kinda strange play calls, overall, I find it hard to complain about the offense.
No one is denying the team and program are trending in the right direction. They will have to get a handle on this if they are going to maximize potential. There is no excuse for this. It has been an issue in every single game so far. Like @Chin Diesel said, find where the breakdown is and correct it. It can't be this hard, we all watch college football and you can watch games all day saturday and not see the problems we have once. We have seen it every game and they have to fix it.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Also, it's not like UConn played a flawless game.

They kept a horrible team in the game and if not for the two picks going into the half, UCF would've been right in the game.

Enjoy the win, but there is worlds to improve on.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Also, it's not like UConn played a flawless game.

They kept a horrible team in the game and if not for the two picks going into the half, UCF would've been right in the game.

Enjoy the win, but there is worlds to improve on.

Absolutely. We are nowhere near being a finished product, but rising from the ashes takes a little time. I don't feel like leaving at halftime with this bunch like I did the last few years and the coaching deserves the credit.

As for yesterday, UCF definitely stopped themselves several times. If nothing else, the teams in the AAC put up points, and we will probably need to do the same to beat any one of them. Our D is okay, but not terrific. Very little QB pressure. Still, no matter what happens the rest of this year, the future is starting to look bright.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Totally agree with you @cohenzone and I don't think it was @noeynox intent to knock or discredit the win.

Look, after last season I thought Diaco was a disaster.

This season? You can't help but to be encouraged with most of what you're seeing. The main issue is still the O line, but as far as coaching goes, there are a lot of unforced errors that will eat us alive going forward - especially against better teams.

Reaction Score
How the fahk do you go from 1st and goal at the 1/2 yd, line get a delay of game get pushed out to the six and still can't get a goshdarn play in?????

Enough already. How long does it take to iron this out???

I totally get it. I was swearing at the TV the whole first half. Growth & Progressive are painful. But having said that, everyone is growing, Coaches, players and fans. I am excited about the prospects of becoming bowl eligible.

Reaction Score
Why do they allways get out of the huddle with such little time like what are they talking about in there

Reaction Score
Why do they allways get out of the huddle with such little time like what are they talking about in there
I've thought about that too...one school of thought-coming out of the huddle late gives the defense a much smaller block of time to make pre-snap adjustments based on the offense's formation. Another thought I've had in that: we are a young team and the balance between how much the players can effectively run and what the coaches want to run in a given week always has a fuzzy line....sometimes the players take a bit longer to digest the weekly variations on plays that are installed each week to build off the core playbook. Whatever the reason for breaking the huddle late-it makes me nervous.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The staff is not quite ready for prime time, but we already knew that. We just have to hope they work these kinks out.

Reaction Score
cohenzone said:

We will still be hard pressed to win 6 games and get a bowl invite. If we don't make it? Fine. But if the reason we don't make it is rooted in the fact that we can't get plays in? I will be as mad as Freescooter is at Warde.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom