This ridiculous obsession with dunking in WBB | Page 3 | The Boneyard

This ridiculous obsession with dunking in WBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
People go wild on here for a back door cut, or a touch pass, or anything the UConn posts do that is a thing of beauty to watch. Well, the men do that too.

So why the backlash over the dunk. The dunk is important because it is the highest percentage shot when you can make it comfortably. For Griner, it's a high percentage shot. She is the first woman that can claim that. She can go up, at will, in traffic, and throw it down. THE FIRST EVER. That's why it's important.

As for the game, it's even more important to her teammates. Not so much the second, because it was already a blow out, but that first dunk changed the game. It was a demoralizing dunk to the opponent, and her team was as fired up as I've seen all season.

There is no doubt that the dunks were special plays in my mind. None at all. I still wonder if Parker had never done it against UConn if people would feel the same way here.

First of all the first sentence of your post points out that "We" or many of us, love the well executed back door or touch pass. Perhaps we love it more because it is a team function rather than a dunk which is an individual play. As has been stated before and the reason for starting the thread isn't a dislike of dunking per say but the need of the media to replay it and talk about it ad-nauseum after it happens.
And I will not feel any differently about this when we have a player who dunks. (Which may be next year). Doesn't matter that Parker did it. Won't matter when a Husky does it. It just isn't a big deal. It's a once in a while play for the women and it won't be elevated to an art form like it is for the men anytime soon.

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score
It wasn't enough to just click a button to like your post, Boo. I have to tell you it was a thing of beauty also.

Your friendly neighbor, Atticus

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
First of all the first sentence of your post points out that "We" or many of us, love the well executed back door or touch pass. Perhaps we love it more because it is a team function rather than a dunk which is an individual play. As has been stated before and the reason for starting the thread isn't a dislike of dunking per say but the need of the media to replay it and talk about it ad-nauseum after it happens.
And I will not feel any differently about this when we have a player who dunks. (Which may be next year). Doesn't matter that Parker did it. Won't matter when a Husky does it. It just isn't a big deal. It's a once in a while play for the women and it won't be elevated to an art form like it is for the men anytime soon.

Oddly enough I didn't see BG pass the ball to herself. I believe that Brooklyn Pope gave her the perfect pass, so how is that not a function of good team play. Would it have been better team play had BG just shot a layup instead of dunking the ball? On BOTH of BG's dunks she was assisted by a teammate.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Oddly enough I didn't see BG pass the ball to herself. I believe that Brooklyn Pope gave her the perfect pass, so how is that not a function of good team play. Would it have been better team play had BG just shot a layup instead of dunking the ball? On BOTH of BG's dunks she was assisted by a teammate.
I believe it was a reference to the play in men's hoops which is dominated most days by one on one.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It's ok, we understand for you it is Griner all the time. When she leaves college no one will think about until the next gene pool winner shows up.

I think the next gene pool winner has the last name of Stewart and she will be showing up next year. I hope to see her dunk, as well.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I believe it was a reference to the play in men's hoops which is dominated most days by one on one.

I don't believe this was meant about men. It was a general statement about dunking being an individual accomplishment and on neither of BG's dunks could she have dunked had she not been give a good pass.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think the next gene pool winner has the last name of Stewart and she will be showing up next year. I hope to see her dunk, as well.
Given some her personal comments she can, but may not. She understands the points are more important than the adulation.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Given some her personal comments she can, but may not. She understands the points are more important than the adulation.
During one of the Geno Shows, Geno guaranteed Breanna would dunk at UConn.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Like Pat Summitt used to say, if you want to dunk, come play for me.

Geno commented on how much fun it was to tell Griner to dunk during practice on the national tour. I suspect that if Stewart can dunk that he will encourage it. It is intimidating.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
During one of the Geno Shows, Geno guaranteed Breanna would dunk at UConn.
I remember that, I'm going by comments she made. If Geno says do it I have no doubt she can and will.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I remember that, I'm going by comments she made. If Geno says do it I have no doubt she can and will.

Geno will absolutely encourage it. UCONN's defense has an intimidation factor about it and he will want Stewart to intimidate in the same manner if she can.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I guess we'll all have to disagree for now. I'll check back in a couple of years after Stewart has thrown a few down and see if the sentiment has changed.

Reaction Score
Remember when dunking was illegal (1967) and then reinstated in 1976 by popular demand.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Remember when dunking was illegal (1967) and then reinstated in 1976 by popular demand.
Yeah, it was the end of men's basketball for many of us. Just no one new it yet.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
All this talk about dunking is giving me the urge to eat donuts!

image-D7E5_4F70E6F1.jpg

:D The best donuts i've ever had......from a local place called Donut World. They had the audacity to open up a shop 2 blocks away from the biggest Krispy Kreme store in Greensboro. If we win tonight... imma celebrate by picking up a dozen in the morning. If we lose...... i'll settle for only a half a dozen.

And yes.... I take pics of donuts.... to taunt to friends who live out of state and cant visit Donut World ;)

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
You couldn't put your donuts in your coffee between 1967 and 1976?

So now, I've experienced clearing maple pollen from my sinuses with Iced Tea....

The thing about Griner is she is a gamechanger even without the dunk. It's almost as if her ability to dunk overshadows her quickness and her exceptional defensive timing in the press she gets. Griner is a "one-of-a-kind" outlier. Enjoy her... I do. But I'd rather this dunk thing would shrivel up and disappear for good. She's a great one... she doesn't need the dunk to validate her...

Your Ol' Pal Boo

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
So now, I've experienced clearing maple pollen from my sinuses with Iced Tea....

The thing about Griner is she is a gamechanger even without the dunk. It's almost as if her ability to dunk overshadows her quickness and her exceptional defensive timing in the press she gets. Griner is a "one-of-a-kind" outlier. Enjoy her... I do. But I'd rather this dunk thing would shrivel up and disappear for good. She's a great one... she doesn't need the dunk to validate her...

Your Ol' Pal Boo

Well said. Many Baylor fans have been happy without the dunk. She has focused on her entire game by not focusing on the dunk and it has shown up in her play.

She will dunk again. Eventually maybe it won't be so news-worthy and will just be part of the game highlights.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
But then next year comes Stewart. Maybe we will have players from opposing teams dunk in a game. Now THAT would make news!!!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You are a cruel, cruel man.

image-D7E5_4F70E6F1.jpg

:D The best donuts i've ever had......from a local place called Donut World. They had the audacity to open up a shop 2 blocks away from the biggest Krispy Kreme store in Greensboro. If we win tonight... imma celebrate by picking up a dozen in the morning. If we lose...... i'll settle for only a half a dozen.

And yes.... I take pics of donuts.... to taunt to friends who live out of state and cant visit Donut World ;)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yeah, it was the end of men's basketball for many of us. Just no one new it yet.
Well, this year I watched the UConn men and yelled at Alex Oriakhi to just dunk the damn ball rather than toss up floaters. Dunks have their use.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
image-D7E5_4F70E6F1.jpg

Using food as a weapon is a direct violation of the Pythonian conventions held at Derbyshrumphshire in the year of the Lord 7.
Sir, Your Punishment::
I fart in your general direction.
Your Mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberries.
Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time.

Your Ol' Pal Boo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits