"This could be one hell of a team" - Geno | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"This could be one hell of a team" - Geno

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
"This could be one of the better teams we've had if things fall into place the way I think they can, yeah this could be one hell of a team."

I thought we are in the part of the year were everything is terrible and no one does any correctly... or is that not until the season starts?
We are. That's what's scary. :eek:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Exactly. In my plan, Megan gets Kia's starting slot next year, and Azura gets Gabby's slot.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The validity of Einstein's Theory of Relativity is demonstrated by the length of this off season. I'm over all the predictions. Put the sneakers on the floor and the ball in the air. But, yeah, the noise about Crystal Dangerfield is encouraging for sure.
Yea, let the bodies hit the floor. :cool:
Nothing wrong with me. Something's got to give.

Reaction Score
LOVE LOVE LOVE Reading this stuff about Crystal. Regardless of who starts, a Crystal Dangerfield who is even in the same zip code as Moriah as a sophomore will be something phenomenal to see. Ken (Milford) has correctly mentioned a few times Crystal's size in relation to Moriah's - shorter, and a shorter reach as well (arm length). This allowed Moriah to be every so slightly more effective defensively, especially in poking balls away, and being able to mask being beaten on defense by being able to reach the offensive player if she couldn't do it with her feet, but still...

I hope Crystal plays close to Moriah's sophomore level, and that Azura gives Geno everything he hoped for. Let him make the "tough" call as to who starts! :)
I have touted Crystal Dangerfield since prior to her attending Uconn, in the USA games. I loved nearly everything she did last year. Her potential is very high. BUT BUT BUT--she is not Moriah! She will not replicate the Moriah era. Moriah had leaping ability to strip tall players--Danger does not. That allowed Moriah to be a better defender. Danger is extremely talented, quick, and will get quicker. Has proven she can see and read the floor, can be an effective passing floor general. Personally, I shall allow Danger to be Danger and Moriah as a soph to remain history.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A couple of thoughts.
EricLA - I am certainly hoping that Crystal Dangerfield improves the way that Moriah did after her freshman year - but I hope everyone has a little patience with her. Moriah's first two months of her sophomore season were better, but it wasn't until January that she started shooting close to 60% from three and truly spread her wings. And defensively it isn't just height and arm length, it was also leaping ability. I will be very surprised if Crystal Dangerfield is ever really effective fronting post players like Moriah proved to be against SC.

Interesting comment from Geno re starting 2 seniors and 2 juniors - I have always been of the opinion that if he has a good PG that player will start. If Crystal Dangerfield is following in Moriah's footsteps as far as making a sophomore jump, then I think it doesn't matter how well the forwards are playing, the starting lineup will include Crystal Dangerfield. Much easier to figure out a rotation for the front court to keep everyone happy, than to shift Kia to PG and Lou to off guard in order to start three front court players.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Maybe, but I think Geno is being pretty cagey here:
Auriemma was asked if [Crystal] would start if the Stanford game were tomorrow. "That's a good question," Auriemma said. "What we're going to have to do is see what kind of look do we want to have on the floor. Depending on who we start, it changes a lot of things. Everyone we put in affects someone.

He's really not tipping his hand, is he? That's probably because he really doesn't know (and amazingly, that's what he's actually saying! :)).

2 yrs ago, the season began with Lou as the 5th starter, then it was Pheesa, then it was Gabby, and then it was back to Lou. So,
1. He has to test Crystal and Z in game situations, not just to determine how well they play, but what it does to team dynamics (Pheesa lost her start, not because she wasn't playing well, but because she made it hard for Stewie to operate in the paint)

and 2. He says that different opponents may merit different looks, and those looks have consequences to the whole team. the team is smaller, but faster with Crystal, bigger but slower with Z. And these 2 parts are NOT interchangeable. If Z is in, we have to assume that Kia is point and Lou moves to 2 guard. If Crystal is in, Kia is 2 and Lou is 3. And in both instances, it affects Pheesa's and Gabby's play because their responsibility, room in the paint, etc. change.

My prediction is that Geno has seen this play before, where he has maybe too much talent, and he is now much older and wiser and has had several months to think about not much else, so we are going to see a rotation/substitution pattern that we can't predict. Maybe the joy of this year, assuming it ends well, is that we'll see that an old(er) dog has, indeed, learned new tricks.

I remember, way back when, in pickup games, someone would proclaim, "Guard the guy who guards you." Terrible strategy; why let the opponents dictate the matchups? So maybe Geno experiments with his bigger unit against shorter opponents and his smaller five versus taller foes? Make them adjust to us. Just a thought.

Reaction Score
The validity of Einstein's Theory of Relativity is demonstrated by the length of this off season. I'm over all the predictions. Put the sneakers on the floor and the ball in the air. But, yeah, the noise about Crystal Dangerfield is encouraging for sure.
If you were twice the man (or many many more) you could exceed the speed of light and arrive at the games before they start. \
Wishful thinking---but circle Nov 12th Sunday ESPN--then sit back read what could be or should be or what Geno did or not---or read a Weinstein or two--forget the Ct taxes or whose on first, what's on second, and don't know who---so just coast to 11/12/ for Stanfords a date which shall live in infamy!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If you were twice the man (or many many more) you could exceed the speed of light and arrive at the games before they start. \
Wishful thinking---but circle Nov 12th Sunday ESPN--then sit back read what could be or should be or what Geno did or not---or read a Weinstein or two--forget the Ct taxes or whose on first, what's on second, and don't know who---so just coast to 11/12/ for Stanfords a date which shall live in infamy!

I see you are warming up!

Reaction Score
The theme of this year should be "Unfinished Business". If the team plays with an aggressiveness and anger befitting what happened last year, we will be tough to beat. That attitude can overcome any jitters, which clearly hindered the team in the Final Four.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
The theme of this year should be "Unfinished Business". If the team plays with an aggressiveness and anger befitting what happened last year, we will be tough to beat. That attitude can overcome any jitters, which clearly hindered the team in the Final Four.

Hey, it worked pretty well for the 2002 squad after the prior year loss to ND...

:cool:

Reaction Score
Hey, it worked pretty well for the 2002 squad after the prior year loss to ND...

:cool:

I remember a reporter asking Diggins in 2012 if she was considering entering the WNBA draft early because she was old enough to do so, and she said she had unfinished business.... which remained unfinished.

Reaction Score
Yep - he will only say it if (A) he believes it and (B) he has a lineup stocked with juniors and seniors who have been through the wars. He knows it won't go to their heads or make them nervous.

I'm betting that the Core 4 will collectively do a lot more 'coaching' of their own on the floor this year and that Geno will coach the squad differently as well. Last year was about keeping them focused, pushing them hard to do things they had not done, and instilling belief. Essentially, the Core 4 as a unit grew up last year. This year I think he will use a somewhat lighter hand by comparison.

(Having said that, the one thing he never abides is players--especially great ones--settling for less than they are capable of. So to that extent he will always keep harping. Certainly he was in Maya's ear a number of times even during her senior year...:p I just think he won't need to do it as much.)
He got all over Diana after missing 2 free throws against Tennessee 2004 NC game at end of game.

Reaction Score
He got all over Diana after missing 2 free throws against Tennessee 2004 NC game at end of game.
Diana and Geno were a rare bird and a rarer bird. DT could indicate to Geno what she thought was the level of his IQ digitally and survive.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Yea, let the bodies hit the floor. :cool:
Nothing wrong with me. Something's got to give.

Sometimes I wonder what Meyers7 does in his spare time... The season can't start early enough.

But I still prefer this version.

Reaction Score
Thanks for asking ... doing very well Broadway
Not to drag an issue too long--but--I am happy for you.
As I goes deeper in to a soundless world I appreciate sight as my God given life saver; I had a feeling your soul sank a bit when your problem happened. Great to hear you are doing well.

Reaction Score
Maybe, but I think Geno is being pretty cagey here:
Auriemma was asked if [Crystal] would start if the Stanford game were tomorrow. "That's a good question," Auriemma said. "What we're going to have to do is see what kind of look do we want to have on the floor. Depending on who we start, it changes a lot of things. Everyone we put in affects someone.

He's really not tipping his hand, is he? That's probably because he really doesn't know (and amazingly, that's what he's actually saying! :)).

2 yrs ago, the season began with Lou as the 5th starter, then it was Pheesa, then it was Gabby, and then it was back to Lou. So,
1. He has to test Crystal and Z in game situations, not just to determine how well they play, but what it does to team dynamics (Pheesa lost her start, not because she wasn't playing well, but because she made it hard for Stewie to operate in the paint)

and 2. He says that different opponents may merit different looks, and those looks have consequences to the whole team. the team is smaller, but faster with Crystal, bigger but slower with Z. And these 2 parts are NOT interchangeable. If Z is in, we have to assume that Kia is point and Lou moves to 2 guard. If Crystal is in, Kia is 2 and Lou is 3. And in both instances, it affects Pheesa's and Gabby's play because their responsibility, room in the paint, etc. change.

My prediction is that Geno has seen this play before, where he has maybe too much talent, and he is now much older and wiser and has had several months to think about not much else, so we are going to see a rotation/substitution pattern that we can't predict. Maybe the joy of this year, assuming it ends well, is that we'll see that an old(er) dog has, indeed, learned new tricks.

Of Course you know Geno and Christine had this problem before--and it worked out great. With the right kids, and these kids are sooooRight, this load of talent works well. If Uconn winning, and not personal accolades, is important for all it will be a great year. We had to know with this talent Geno would tailor those on the floor to over match the opponents--he has ridden this mule before. \
As always I enjoyed your analysis, it is preseason and this is the early fun game. When the season starts the only analysis that means anything belongs to 3 humans and Geno.

Reaction Score
If she lives up to the recruiting noise---we shall see her. If she plays as the talent would indicate her PT shall increase. I doubt she is lost in the talent pool Geno is working with.

Reaction Score
A qualified like here. Neither UConn or SC backed into anything. As a team you can only play the teams presented before you. In my opinion if you didn't make the final that was because you weren't good enough at the time to do so. Each of those teams EARNED the right to be champion. If and buts are for nits and nuts.
But yeah, Dawn has a way to go before her program can be compared to UConn's. Just ask Kim and Gary how difficult it is to first build, then maintain a winning culture. Her lack of quality recruits next year hurts, and if it were to comtinue into the next the program would hit a serious slide. But that's the norm for WCBB, and few programs are immune. Except UConn, of course.
Dawn went out and got coaching support. She welcomes talented transfers. And she's good copy. Add that to a championship season and a growing fan base, plus being last year's number one with Aja, and hope springs eternal.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Dawn went out and got coaching support. She welcomes talented transfers. And she's good copy. Add that to a championship season and a growing fan base, plus being last year's number one with Aja, and hope springs eternal.
Damn right. She seems to be doing things the right way. The more you patrol BY the more you'll find most here have a lot of respect for her, Vic, Doug Bruno and Tara. Some others, not so much. I'm also a big fan of Kelly Graves and Scott Rueck. They too have fans here on the BY.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom