The Year St. Joseph's was undefeated ... | The Boneyard

The Year St. Joseph's was undefeated ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
they got out-rebounded every single game. There are some other notable examples.

You can win this way. But, you simply have very small (pun) margin for error.

Kevin Ollie NEEDS a few good solid post players. This has to happen beyond the kid from LI he signed in the Fall. I don't know what is in Warde Manual's mind; however, a announcement within the next few weeks will give us plenty of leverage to gain a few good kids in the Spring.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
...it also helps when you play in a much-weaker-than-now-A10.

Reaction Score
Our backcourt is pretty good. (not two #1s though) In watching games across the country every night, I think both Napier & Boatright (and then Calhoun) are at a fairly high level.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Our backcourt is pretty good. (not two #1s though) In watching games across the country every night, I think both Napier & Boatright (and then Calhoun) are at a fairly high level.

Careful, Pudge. Admitting that some guys are high-level players doesn't jibe with the miracle worker meme.

Reaction Score
In addition to being NBA players (Nelson was 1st team AA as well), both Nelson and West were upperclassmen- Nelson a SR and West a JR.

Their center that year, Dwayne Jones, was pretty good and played in the NBA for a few years.

I'm a huge fan of our guys, but they are nowhere near the level of West and Nelson of that year.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score

I think he was talking about Jameer Nelson and Delonte West. As of right now, neither Boatright nor Napier are on that level.

Reaction Score
I think he was talking about Jameer Nelson and Delonte West. As of right now, neither Boatright nor Napier are on that level.

Yes, I was. But after I posted I realized that it sounded ambiguous.

On the other hand, it's not completely farfetched that both Bazz and Boat will be in the draft in 2014. Whether they can sneak into the first round is another question.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Yes, I was. But after I posted I realized that it sounded ambiguous.

On the other hand, it's not completely farfetched that both Bazz and Boat will be in the draft in 2014. Whether they can sneak into the first round is another question.

Totally agree. Ultimately I think their size will hurt them but there's a good possibility that both of them get picked up.

Reaction Score
The year St. Joseph was undefeated . . . they got out-rebounded every single game. There are some other notable examples.

I get the point that teams can win without being great rebounders. But it's not at all correct that St. Joes was outrebounded every game. They led in that category in a number of their wins - although for the year, they were outrebounded by about 3.5 rpg.

Reaction Score
Careful, Pudge. Admitting that some guys are high-level players doesn't jibe with the miracle worker meme.

Oh god. No one has ever said Ollie is winning with a roster of NESCAC players. Nice straw man. Napier and Boatright are both high level guards who would thrive in any program. That's 2 guys. There are 5 on the court, and at any given time the other 3 might be kids who wouldn't get near the court in other top-flight program.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Oh god. No one has ever said Ollie is winning with a roster of NESCAC players. Nice straw man. Napier and Boatright are both high level guards who would thrive in any program. That's 2 guys. There are 5 on the court, and at any given time the other 3 might be kids who wouldn't get near the court in other top-flight program.
And that's what makes evaluating the job KO is doing difficult. It really depends how much people examine the parts vs the whole. I'm with you. This is a game in which ten people are on the court. Two of UConn's positions are frequently no shows regarding the role they must play. KO has been remarkable at maximizing the situation.

And he used this early schedule to develop players as well as explore what works and what doesn't. I'm thrilled with what he's been doing. He has JC's work ethic and the drive to win. The two things he brings over JC imo is he is more balanced with positive and negative reinforcement. And I don't need to translate what he says during interviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom