The View From Section 241 -- Houston | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 -- Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This will be longer than normal, but yesterday's game deserves it. I've been going in circles about how to start the column this week, as a number of different ideas have been going around in my head in the glorious post-game bliss that yesterday brought me. But let's start with this one -- Attitude. From the opening kick off yesterday, it was absolutely clear that our players thought this was a winnable game. Not just that they wanted to give it their best shot on Senior Day, but that if they played with emotion and if they executed, they could win this game. There didn't seem to be much of a rational reason for this belief, but they had it. Whatever rationality existed behind their swagger should have been blown up when their QB and leader was taken out of the game woozy from a dirty (not malicious but dirty nonetheless) late hit. After all, we were playing a 10-0 thirteenth ranked team that had moved the ball all year long against everyone, and now we had to go up and down the field with them with Tim Boyle (more on that later)? But the underlying belief that they had it in their power to win this game never vanished. Sure, the D had to know that their margin for error had just gone down. And sure, the Offense for the most part pulled the reigns in and was going to stay as conservative as it could until such time as our lead shrank and we needed to make plays. But the body language -- the attitude on the sideline -- never changed. And yes, I admire the job the coaches did to sell this, but coaches can only do so much. The team -- right up to its fifth year seniors, who had endured hell frankly in terms of losses, fan apathy, coaching changes, conference turmoil, absolutely everything -- were not going to let the quality of the opponent or the injury to Shirreff stop them from believing. And unlike good crowds past, it was the players who sold this to the fans -- not the other way around. But they did sell it, and while the Rent doesn't rock like when it was full, those there (including JMoney in shorts, which I will attest to) believed more and more as the game wore on, and with that belief came excitement and electricity that we've barely seen since 2010. And this is why people go. This is why I have kept my season tickets, even as my sons are both grown and out of state and finding someone to go to is often difficult. There is an emotion that you get from melding your mind and soul with 25 thousand other people in a building that you just can't experience in a desk job. And when you get that charge, after not having really had it for five years (the road win at Maryland in '12 and maybe the home win against Syracuse in '11 being the only fleeting moments), it is wonderful. And sports is wonderful. I gave this team close to a zero per cent shot at bowl eligibility at the start of the year. Entering yesterday, I was thrilled that we had gotten to five wins and were relatively competitive in the five losses, but I did not see a chance at a 6th. And that was with a healthy Shirreffs. My had is off to the entire roster, and the staff, for bringing the thrill of really supporting a team back for everyone. And, while I will after my Turkey start thinking about Temple, and I will care about the Bowl when we get close to it, I do not want to Spackler towards the next game -- I am going to spend a few days enjoying this and thinking about next year.

A little more about the game itself. Yes, they were playing with a backup QB (and when Ward came in you could see he couldn't move very well) but it's hard to imagine anyone's defense short of Alabama's playing much better than we did yesterday. But for Jhavon getting beat deep once (and the ball still had to be thrown perfectly over the WR's outside shoulder) the D only allowed three points and generated 3 sacks and 4 turnovers. Where did the pass rush come from? Three sacks, two KO's of their QB (both by Cam Stapleton) and their QB's under duress the entire game? On offense, yes, once Shirreffs went out they overplayed the run on 1st downs, and we ran anyway, but they were limited Tim Boyle's chances to make a big mistake, and as long as we held the lead unchallenged why not. Our offense did generate two long scoring drives for 7, and moved the ball enough to match them in offensive statistics for the game. But without a single turnover or sack allowed (although there certainly was pressure on our QBs all game). When they cut it to 13-10, and again to 20-17, in each time we opened it up a little more, and had a response. And the three runs up the middle with two minutes left were exactly right. This was a game where you wanted the key play to be made with our D on the field, not our O. And thanks to the pass rush and Jamar Summer, it was.

Let's start offense, defense and specials with specials this week. Yes, we gave up the long KO return, which almost cost us the game, but there were good things to say as well. Bobby Puyol just getting his job done, week after week, since we sat Tarbutt down. Dom Manco just being perfect all season (frankly, all career) long with the snapping. And maybe the single key statistic to this game -- Justin Wain punted 9 times to the #1 punt returner in the nation. And gave up 0 -- 0 --return yards. Credit to him, the gunners who I haven't given enough credit this year for the steady job they've done (thank you McAlister and Marder) and the entire unit.

On Defense, let's mention some individuals (although recognizing that the entire unit just played an absolutely unbelievable game). Mike Myers -- made two huge plays in the 1st Quarter -- stopping a third and short run up the middle and then a pass rush that caused him to be tackled by the Guard negating a long Houston TD throw. Campenni -- again was just a beast in the middle clogging up the run. Foley played a great game. Luke and Stapleton between them played their best game of the year at that hybrid DE/LB slot. Without their pass rush being the best it's been all year, we don't win. Andrew Adams, who I think had disappeared since the kicking the ball penalty against BYU, used the off week and played his best game in half a season. Junior Lee, on his senior day, making at least two plays in the dime defense in the 4th Quarter. I didn't think any of Steward, Vann or Adeyami had individually brilliant games, but that doesn't mean they didn't step up and do their jobs on Senior Day -- a D doesn't succeed like that without everyone doing their job. And the continuing great play by our two underclassmen CBs, notwithstanding the one mistake by Williams, made up for by yet another Summers pick to end the game.

Even more to say about individuals on Senior Day on offense. Garrett duck*ing Anderson. What do you say about a kid who transfers here to play QB, learns he isn't good enough to get on the field, becomes a backup fullback and then may have won our season for us. He played well overall, including the huge 3rd down conversion play leading up to the flea flicker. But he has not gotten enough credit for the flea flicker. Think about this -- a young man who worked out for the first part of the year at QB has to catch a tipped ball lateral, and, after making the catch and having the timing of the play thrown off, has to set his feet, make a determination that the play will still work, and then throw a 40 yard strike. On a play where, if he just caught the ball and saved the fumble, he would have made a good play. Tim duck*ing Boyle. If this young man was scared as anything coming into this situation, after his two years actually playing and his only meaningful throws this year being the key plays in the loss at Mizzou, no one would have blamed him. Did his play make me forget about what an upgrade Shirreffs is, or think we could survive with him at QB for a few games? Nope. But who cares what I think. He played almost a full game, threw the ball 22 times and didn't throw a pick or take a sack, while under fairly intense pressure from the pass rush. And we put 13 points on the board (albeit 6 off short field FGs after turnovers). He kept cool, he avoided the big mistake (frankly, the only reason I can;'t say he avoided a mistake is because he never, never, never should have thrown the lateral to Anderson that lead to the TD, but the Gods were smiling), and if he does nothing else in his career he can tell his grandkids about how he led State U to one of the biggest wins in is history. Good for him. Good for Tyler Samra, who played on an OL that more than held their own today and did their part. Good for Chris Lee, who had to play meaningful snaps for Tommy Myers and didn't cause anyone to notice his presence blocking (which is all we needed). Good for Noel Thomas, who showed us again they he will be great next year if he just plays like he's capable of every down every game. Good for Ron Johnson, who ran like we haven't seen him this year and whose 40 plus yards were a big part of the victory. Good for Josh Mariner, who instead of sulking about the fact that he's only going to get one or two touches a game continues to work to make sure his touch (in this case) helps the team with a big third down conversion. Good for Arkeel, who was the key to us jumping on top of them, than had real trouble gaining yards with them run blitzing constantly, but came back in the 4th Q with some huge runs as we're trying to kill clock. Our offense is not the strength of the team, and make no mistake, we won this game on D, but nonetheless without Bryant Shirreffs these guys held their own yesterday in a way that would have been unthinkable a six weeks ago.

I'm sure I left some people out, but no one should worry. This game was won on attitude and effort, and that went from our stars right down to the reserves and walk ons (and my thanks to the seniors in both categories, like Gifford and Max and Claflin) who were in the game emotionally with their teammates the whole way.

So as I said, I'm going to enjoy this for a few days before worrying about Temple. Because moments like yesterday are few and far between. My father is 88, and I got him to come with me, tailgate and watch the game. There are moments that family has together around sports that are special. This will be one of them. Besides, before thinking of beating Temple I need to know if Shirreffs is really good to go (and there is no reason to play him if he isn't -- win #6 satisfied the most optimistic goals of this season) and we will need to see if this team has anything emotionally left. This is a big game for Temple, senior night for an outstanding class that helped turn the program around and needed for a slot in the AAC Championship game. So what happens happens. And then we see where we bowl. We will go bowling at 6-6 -- every 6-6 team will. I think if Navy wins the AAC we go to Annapolis. As I said earlier, if the AAC has an extra bowl eligible team based on ECU and Tulsa and Navy doesn't go to the New Years 6 but plays at home, I still think there is a high probability we play in Yankee Stadium. But wherever we go and whomever we play, I will feel great for the seniors and upperclassmen who endured a ton of crap and yet kept working to earn their reward.

And then I will start getting excited about next year.

Reaction Score
Not just that they wanted to give it their best shot on Senior Day, but that if they played with emotion and if they executed, they could win this game.

Great writeup, but I think you chose the wrong word here - they played like they knew they would win the game. The energy and effort and enthusiasm makes it difficult, if not impossible, to remember that this team was led by Paul Pasqualoni just 26 months ago.

Annapolis or NYC would be delicious. Of course, we'll probably get sent to Hawaii and then be crucified for failing to fill the place up.

Reaction Score
Great writeup, but I think you chose the wrong word here - they played like they knew they would win the game. The energy and effort and enthusiasm makes it difficult, if not impossible, to remember that this team was led by Paul Pasqualoni just 26 months ago.

Annapolis or NYC would be delicious. Of course, we'll probably get sent to Hawaii and then be crucified for failing to fill the place up.

Hawaii would be o.k., because it would be good for the players. I'm fine if this year's bowl is just about the players and not the fans. Next year my goals are higher.

Reaction Score
I was at the WV game with my son and this game with my daughter. I don't care where we bowl. I was just happy to have seen the game and how pumped the crowd and Huskies were the whole game.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
And the three runs up the middle with two minutes left were exactly right. This was a game where you wanted the key play to be made with our D on the field, not our O. And thanks to the pass rush and Jamar Summer, it was.

Could not agree more with this. When it was 3rd and long and considering the field position, I was hoping that they would run it up the middle. Make them burn their final TO and put the game in the hands of the defense, who had dominated all night. The only concern was having a punt blocked or, God forbid, a long return. Thankfully, the Rent helped us out and their guy slipped and gave them terrible field position to start the drive. Then, like you said, the defense help did their part despite a ridiculous 3rd down play that I still have no idea how Postma escaped the pressure and completed the pass.

Last night, the proper coaching decisions were to be conservative. Take 3 points when we could. Run on 1st downs to keep the clock rolling and reduce turnover risk (as well as not asking Boyle to do too much). Stay in the lead and make them make the plays to get out in front against our defense. Punt the football high and let our coverage get down the field.

Reaction Score
Could not agree more with this. When it was 3rd and long and considering the field position, I was hoping that they would run it up the middle. Make them burn their final TO and put the game in the hands of the defense, who had dominated all night. The only concern was having a punt blocked or, God forbid, a long return. Thankfully, the Rent helped us out and their guy slipped and gave them terrible field position to start the drive. Then, like you said, the defense help did their part despite a ridiculous 3rd down play that I still have no idea how Postma escaped the pressure and completed the pass.

Last night, the proper coaching decisions were to be conservative. Take 3 points when we could. Run on 1st downs to keep the clock rolling and reduce turnover risk (as well as not asking Boyle to do too much). Stay in the lead and make them make the plays to get out in front against our defense. Punt the football high and let our coverage get down the field.

Credit where credit is due. Both of the plays that Postma made where he got knocked out of the game were just unbelievably good and brave plays.

Reaction Score
What a great post. I would be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about the stark difference between this year's and last year's home finale.

Just surreal to me. I never thought 6 wins was possible back in August. I'll also say this. I was there in 2003 against Indiana, the 2004 night game against Pitt, the Larry Taylor game, the win vs. WVU, and the USF FG game in the snow. Maybe it's the recentness of this game, but this was the best and most satisfying game I've ever attended at the Rent.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Great post. Attitude was the difference. I think after so much frustration, the team collectively said, "We're not going to take it anymore. You take out our QB and TE? Fine. But your not taking this game from us".

Reaction Score
I made it into the businesslawyers column and I wasn't even in the stadium. That's big time, if I don't say so myself.

Winning is much sweeter for everybody around here that been sticking through everything that's happened since Jan. 1, 2011. Wasnlt reslly thatblong ago, but it was a rough ride. Nothing compared to what thd guys on the field feel, but they got to let go. Its been 24 hours, and therevis another game to go. This was a hump game. Big hump.

But we're over it. They got to respond to winning now. Harder than responding to losing.

The next game can be a real statement game to our current peers in this conference, as long as we're here now, its time to let everybody know the doggies are here to play for the long haul.

Tom Herman - trap game. My ass.

Reaction Score
And unlike good crowds past, it was the players who sold this to the fans -- not the other way around. But they did sell it, and while the Rent doesn't rock like when it was full, those there (including JMoney in shorts, which I will attest to) believed more and more as the game wore on, and with that belief came excitement and electricity that we've barely seen since 2010.

I felt the energy from the players, as well. I sit behind the UCONN bench and the energy that they projected on to the fans was the most I have ever witnessed. The players willed the fans to create noise and believe that the game was winnable.

Reaction Score
The LB's did play a great game, stuffing a potent UH run game. GS made a huge open field tackle, one that he's expected to make, but a miss there would have been disasterous.

Great write up, it captured the joy of the W.

Reaction Score
Credit where credit is due. Both of the plays that Postma made where he got knocked out of the game were just unbelievably good and brave plays.

The second time Postma went down a guy nearby was yelling at him to get up, saying he was faking an injury, etc. I and other UConn fans told him to back off and then gave polite applause when Postma was finally helped off the field. Of course the nasty loud mouth yelled something snide at us about cheering the faker. There is no reason for that kind of behavior.

Reaction Score
The second time Postma went down a guy nearby was yelling at him to get up, saying he was faking an injury, etc. I and other UConn fans told him to back off and then gave polite applause when Postma was finally helped off the field. Of course the nasty loud mouth yelled something snide at us about cheering the faker. There is no reason for that kind of behavior.

Can. not. stand. people like that. I've yelled at students in the student section before during basketball games for cheering when opposing players got hurt. It's despicable.

Reaction Score
The LB's did play a great game, stuffing a potent UH run game. GS made a huge open field tackle, one that he's expected to make, but a miss there would have been disasterous.

Great write up, it captured the joy of the W.
I remember the play with their RB # 35. Stewart grabbed him around the waist and spun him around, the RB had to leave the game as he got his ankle rolled on during the tackle. The Commentators said he got his cleats caught in the grass. But there was no way. It was just the violent take down method that GS used. Great play out in the flat, if GS missed him a lot of green was in front of him. The field looked perfect for this time of year. To the Grounds crew, just keep doing what you're doing. This has to be one of the best grass fields in all of football. I watched the DVR this morning and did not see any of the cleat marks which popped up all over as the ground level cameras showed in some of the NFL games on Sunday. Great Job!!!!!!!!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
This was another character win. Our starting QB goes down early and the D gives up a measly 13 points to one of the most prolific offenses in the country. They won by grinding it out on both lines of scrimmage, rushing for about 150 yards and pressuring their QBs and RBs on D. Much like Tulane, this team is now finding ways to win and Diaco is starting to build the foundation to a culture of winning. Make no doubt about it, this will look a lot like Edsall's teams with physical play on both sides of the ball.

A few observations:
  • I really hope BS is OK. Kid is a big reason we are in the position we are in. The O could really be something with him next season, especially given that the OL is really coming on.
  • My suspicion is that Ron Johnson has been nursing an injury this season. To come off a bye week and perform at a much higher level further supports that suspicion. Arkeel and he could really rock'n roll next season.
  • Diaco has done magic with the D. This is not, by a long shot, the most talented group of individuals we have had on a defense, but they may be playing some of the best defensive football UCONN has ever played.
  • This is all gravy now........house money. That said, I absolutely love the idea of two more wins and taking a ton of momentum and confidence into next season. The practice for the bowl game is huge.
  • The Rent will be back as a really tough place to visit. The stupid twins lost that in about a nanosecond of their tenures, but this group is getting that back.
All good.......................

Reaction Score
Fantastic post bizlaw...

Best feeling I've ever had coming out of the Rent... and that includes Indiana and RGIII. Attitude, perseverance, tough never get down, Rise Up Together.
Five long years..... can't say enough about the attitude we all saw from the Seniors (who had to endure it all) to the reserve first year players who have bought into the program and attitude comes from their fellow players and brought by the Coaches. Knowing where this program was to where THE program IS NOW-WOW!!!!!!
...AND THERE WERE 50 RECRUITS AT THE RENT WITH MANY MORE WATCHING!!!!!

Probably THEE best 4Q emanating from the stands in many a year. Manu kudos to the students who came despite already being off for the Holiday.

Could not help but think that perhaps Tom Herman's life memory of the past week was NOT the pay increase from $1.3MM to $3MM per year ....but coming to the Rent and getting knocked off....

Reaction Score
These players have really come on. Earlier in the year we were collectively wondering where the all conference players were. I have to say Summers and Fatukasi have to be close to first teamers. Others have risen up as well though not as consistently as those two.

The trick play, and really the trick plays all year, to me are being used by this staff to make up for the lack of big play ability in our offense at the moment. The long TD play by Houston, we simply haven't made those plays in really for ever except for the Marcus Easly run and some with Kashief. I do think Thomas can be that type of WR and the two young WRs, Beals and Mayala looke the part as well. It's not just the skill players however, as some plays the timing on those plays has been off due to the OL not holding their blocks a split second longer or the QB slightly underthrowing, etc.

On the long Houston TD, Jhavon Williams had good coverage. He mistimed his jump, and it was a GREAT throw and over the shoulder catch. We need some of that in our offense and I think we will see it as soon as next year. Jhavon has been overshadowed a bit by the season Summers has had but he really is solid. Seems to break up a lot of passes and is a real good tackler 0n the perimeter.

The coaches have done a great job getting these kids to believe. Their individual talents are starting to come through. As the OP stated, Carrezola and Stapleton have become pretty good edge rushers. Both seem to be in on a lot of action. I believe Stapleton picked up a loose fumble. The OL continues to improve every game. There is a lot to like here.

Brought my wife to the game. I try to get her to come to one game a year. She's an alum. She couldn't believe how much fun she had. She is usually freezing when it's 60 degrees out. Didn't complain once, though I was disappointed to hear her say she was most impressed by UH KO return for a TD. He was coming right at us and as the play was happening she said "wow, he took off like a rocket".

Great job by the OP as usual. Great game, and a great memory. While I would not run on the field myself, that was great to watch. Good for those players to experience that and I was glad I was there to watch it. As @Carl Spackler said, it has been one hell of a bumpy ride to get back to bowl eligible. Saturday night felt real good.

Reaction Score
I made it into the businesslawyers column and I wasn't even in the stadium. That's big time, if I don't say so myself.

Winning is much sweeter for everybody around here that been sticking through everything that's happened since Jan. 1, 2011. Wasnlt reslly thatblong ago, but it was a rough ride. Nothing compared to what thd guys on the field feel, but they got to let go. Its been 24 hours, and therevis another game to go. This was a hump game. Big hump.

But we're over it. They got to respond to winning now. Harder than responding to losing.

The next game can be a real statement game to our current peers in this conference, as long as we're here now, its time to let everybody know the doggies are here to play for the long haul.

Tom Herman - trap game. My ass.

It's not that you made it into The View -- it's that I turned you into a verb!

Reaction Score
A bittersweet day for me. My last game as a ST holder. Moving to a warmer climate. I've been to every game except one. I remember rushing from my daughter's semi-final soccer match, in the state tourney, to watch the second half and OT, and DJ heaving the ball into the parking lot. Teggart kicking the winner in the snow. Being about the only people left in the stands at the end of the Memphis game a couple of years ago. Orlovsky, Terry Cauley Osundi, Fincher in the early days.

Standing in the middle of the field at the end of this game was great. All the memories, while fading, bring back good times. I'll be back. I'll be at the BC game next year, probably ECU, but it's not the same without our usual 6 to tailgate, light up my cigar, and eat things that are atrociously bad for me. We were almost always in our seats on time, stayed till the 0:00, cheered the seniors, lived through agonizing seasons. It was a heck of a ride. I figure about 90 games - give or take. There was nothing that I would have rather done on a Saturday in the Fall.

The game was great. Nobody sat down for the last 10 minutes. They played music on every down for at least the last 10 minutes.. The 27K never moved out of their seats. Have not felt that atmosphere in some time.

Game ball goes to Boyle.. I know the D played well. The kid just made some really good throws when he had to. The throw to Thomas and getting crushed; the two review-able catches were just great , keeping it high enough so Anderson could catch it, and the 3rd down throw to Anderson in the flat. Say what you want, but throwing him in there in that situation and having him come through big time - just wow. Happy for him and the team especially the seniors who get to go to a bowl game.

If it's Pinstripe - I am in.

Reaction Score
A bittersweet day for me. My last game as a ST holder. Moving to a warmer climate. I've been to every game except one. I remember rushing from my daughter's semi-final soccer match, in the state tourney, to watch the second half and OT, and DJ heaving the ball into the parking lot. Teggart kicking the winner in the snow. Being about the only people left in the stands at the end of the Memphis game a couple of years ago. Orlovsky, Terry Cauley Osundi, Fincher in the early days.

Standing in the middle of the field at the end of this game was great. All the memories, while fading, bring back good times. I'll be back. I'll be at the BC game next year, probably ECU, but it's not the same without our usual 6 to tailgate, light up my cigar, and eat things that are atrociously bad for me. We were almost always in our seats on time, stayed till the 0:00, cheered the seniors, lived through agonizing seasons. It was a heck of a ride. I figure about 90 games - give or take. There was nothing that I would have rather done on a Saturday in the Fall.

The game was great. Nobody sat down for the last 10 minutes. They played music on every down for at least the last 10 minutes.. The 27K never moved out of their seats. Have not felt that atmosphere in some time.

Game ball goes to Boyle.. I know the D played well. The kid just made some really good throws when he had to. The throw to Thomas and getting crushed; the two review-able catches were just great , keeping it high enough so Anderson could catch it, and the 3rd down throw to Anderson in the flat. Say what you want, but throwing him in there in that situation and having him come through big time - just wow. Happy for him and the team especially the seniors who get to go to a bowl game.

The tie ins of family to sports memories is very, very strong. I feel blessed to have had a number of them with grandfathers, my father and my children. They are memories you get to keep even when you give up your tickets!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I tried to explain to some fool that it wouldn't even make sense to fake an injury there - but good luck to all of us I guess.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

what climate are you moving to?

Reaction Score

Yeah, Cam Stapelton probably had one of the biggest no box score stat games in a while. He puts some hard hits in. He made a bunch in the Missouri game against the WR Quick Outs that made me excited to see more of him in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom