The Unfortunate Truth of Basketball Success | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The Unfortunate Truth of Basketball Success

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If the UConn admin was smart, they would have bartered with the B1G ---- giving Purdue that national championship on condition of acceptance to the B1G. ;)
Greg, the opportunity to do that was yesterday afternoon. Guess the negotiations didn't work out.

Reaction Score
If you count both men's and women's basketball, this was the 12th straight loss for the B1G in the national championship game dating back to the start of the century.....(8 men's and 4 women's).............

The full list (women's games in italics):

2001: Purdue loses 68-66 to Notre Dame
2002: Indiana loses 64-52 to Maryland
2005: Illinois loses 75-70 to North Carolina
2005: Michigan State loses 84-62 to Baylor
2007: Ohio State loses 84-75 to Florida
2009: Michigan State loses 89-72 to North Carolina
2013: Michigan loses 82-76 to Louisville (win has since been vacated)
2015: Wisconsin loses (68-63) to Duke
2018: Michigan loses (79-62) to Villanova
2023: Iowa loses 102-85 to LSU
2024: Purdue loses 75-60 to Connecticut
2024: Iowa loses 87-75 to South Carolina

Reaction Score
If you count both men's and women's basketball, this was the 12th straight loss for the B1G in the national championship game dating back to the start of the century.....(8 men's and 4 women's).............

The full list (women's games in italics):

2001: Purdue loses 68-66 to Notre Dame
2002: Indiana loses 64-52 to Maryland
2005: Illinois loses 75-70 to North Carolina
2005: Michigan State loses 84-62 to Baylor
2007: Ohio State loses 84-75 to Florida
2009: Michigan State loses 89-72 to North Carolina
2013: Michigan loses 82-76 to Louisville (win has since been vacated)
2015: Wisconsin loses (68-63) to Duke
2018: Michigan loses (79-62) to Villanova
2023: Iowa loses 102-85 to LSU
2024: Purdue loses 75-60 to Connecticut
2024: Iowa loses 87-75 to South Carolina
this was the last Big Ten Men's national championship

1662b745af92a46313b8314f4813b282.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why can't we just request to join the B12 at a reduced rate like Stanford did with the ACC?
Wait, we just request to go to whatever conference we want? I had no idea that was how it worked!

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
I'm glad the BIG couldn't shake their bad luck and win a title in either BB tourney. Listening to the ESPN post game report and hearing the pundits at the desk say emphatically that UConn is a true blueblood was sweet music...man alive, our BB teams did us proud this year.

Reaction Score
Wait, we just request to go to whatever conference we want? I had no idea that was how it worked!
Isn't that was Calford did? They begged to join the ACC and were initially rejected

Reaction Score
UConn invited Val to help cut down the nets last night. Doubt you would see that if a Big East exit was coming.

CL82

Reaction Score
Isn't that was Calford did? They begged to join the ACC and were initially rejected
The big 12 considered us and decided against us in favor of, lesser, in my view, p5 schools. The notion that they will suddenly change their mind isn't reality based.

I don't love it, but it is what it is.

Reaction Score
The notion that they will suddenly change their mind isn't reality based.
The conference that needs to add strong brands and is putting a larger emphasis on Basketball more than ever? I would be surprised if they didn't at least reconsider.

UConn was never completely ruled out and we would've been a confirmed add if the four corner schools didn't jump on board at once

Reaction Score
The conference that needs to add strong brands and is putting a larger emphasis on Basketball more than ever? I would be surprised if they didn't at least reconsider.

UConn was never completely ruled out and we would've been a confirmed add if the four corner schools didn't jump on board at once
Yeah, but....Now we're back to square one and in a different time frame. It seems that the Big 12 will be waiting to see what happens with the ACC. Who knows how long that will take, or if FSU and Clemson are even successful.

CL82

Reaction Score

Well, when we weren't invited, that was a strong indication that we were "ruled out." Subsequent to that Yormark said that we were being considered and we aren't anymore. I don't know what "completely ruled out" means to you, but those are pretty strong indicia that we aren't being considered. I don't know that "asking" would change that.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The success UConn has had with less media revenue and no CFP payouts is remarkable imo.
Agreed but it's only a matter of time until the lack of media revenue catches up to UConn's ability to access the portal with NIL. I know it's not money from the colleges but signs are pointing to colleges starting to get involved in the future

UCFBfan

Reaction Score

The Big 12 presidents looked at our bball and said "Great, it's top notch!" Then they looked at our football history and threw up in their mouths. Unless UConn figures it's stuff out on the football field, I don't see them going anywhere. Even a desperate ACC didn't add us. IMO, the.only way we get in somewhere is if FSU or Clemson find a way out.

Reaction Score
Not saying they would dominate in football but they could be a 7-6 team in the Big 12 with the financial boost. Even better like old BE days in the ACC. With membership in these conferences could get better recruits and coaches. Seems like the powers diminished the BE (conference of champions) this year.

Reaction Score
As long as the argument is based on perceptions such as lack of AD revenue and scandals then UConn will be climbing an uphill battle. It unfortunate but the truth is that the local media only cares about 2 things with UConn... Failure and Scandal. Don't expect hype about the upcoming season, practice notes etc from the local media but absolutely bank on anything regarding revenue incompetency or scandal related to start local and end national.

Reaction Score
The difference for Cal, Stanford and SMU is there was a pro-rata clause that brought in more money to the conference. By taking reduced shares they allowed the ACC to fund its performance pool without decreasing any of the existing members shares.

The performance pool was one of the ways the ACC was trying to answer FSU’s concerns that since they brought more revenue they should get a bigger share.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Agreed but it's only a matter of time until the lack of media revenue catches up to UConn's ability to access the portal with NIL. I know it's not money from the colleges but signs are pointing to colleges starting to get involved in the future
I basically agree with this but the 'catching up' has taken a whole lot longer than most P-whatever schools ever anticipated. If you were to have gotten a sincere response from them ~2006 or so they would have said "ten years, fifteen at most" as to when all schools/conferences that didn't have major football programs would be virtually mid-major.

We may have a bit more time than many realize, but the fact remains that we need to fix our football program if we want to survive.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 presidents looked at our bball and said "Great, it's top notch!" Then they looked at our football history and threw up in their mouths. Unless UConn figures it's stuff out on the football field, I don't see them going anywhere. Even a desperate ACC didn't add us. IMO, the.only way we get in somewhere is if FSU or Clemson find a way out.
B12 Football is dead. Texas and OU and the viewership that comes with are irreplaceable. Any football team that gains momentum and gets really good in the B12 will just want to leave for the B1G/SEC

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
B12 Football is dead. Texas and OU and the viewership that comes with are irreplaceable. Any football team that gains momentum and gets really good in the B12 will just want to leave for the B1G/SEC
I love when people just assume schools can up and move to whatever conference they want. If a team gets good in the Big 12, they can't just invite themselves to the B1G or SEC. I think those two conferences have their wish lists and I don't believe any current Big 12 schools are on it. I also think it's asinine to say Big 12 football is dead.

Reaction Score
I love when people just assume schools can up and move to whatever conference they want. If a team gets good in the Big 12, they can't just invite themselves to the B1G or SEC. I think those two conferences have their wish lists and I don't believe any current Big 12 schools are on it. I also think it's asinine to say Big 12 football is dead.
I didn't say they COULD leave but that doesn't mean they wouldn't WANT to. No schools in the ACC or B12 want to stay and would leave immediately given the opportunity.

In the inevitable P2 split from the NCAA what will the ACC and B12 schools do? Its not like they have the resources to compete with the bigger brands so what's the point focusing on Football in the end? At least with Basketball they already have arguably the best league better than the B1G/SEC and could leverage it

Reaction Score
Does the BE have a seat at the table? Or will the football conferences take control of BB as well

Reaction Score
Does the BE have a seat at the table? Or will the football conferences take control of BB as well

The lack of Fox/TV negotations pretty much answers the seat at the table question. To answer if football drives the bus for bball too lets look at the future reality... 40-80 Mil power conference money A YEAR for NIL to get the best players, to get/keep the best coaches, and to build top tier facilities. Lets hope as NIL $$ goes way beyond where it is today for top players that our Donors will front that much difference year after year....that or UConn and the state work their magic accounting numbers

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom