The Triumphant Return of Morgan Tuck. | The Boneyard

The Triumphant Return of Morgan Tuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Even as we acknowledge the shortcomings (pun intended) of the opposition in the two practice games, it is not possible to not get goosebumps over Morgan Tuck's dominance in both games.

It now appears that in all of the voluminous speculation about Morgan's role, most BY prognosticators got some projections right and were a half bubble off plumb with others.

I was in the mistaken minority who thought that Ms Tuck is simply too good not to start. Well, she is, but the need to sustain rebounding strength through the course of games clearly prevailed over individual talent issues.

Some 'Yarders simply forgot how good -- really, really good in Genospeak -- a player Morgan is/was. My belief is that she plays the game of basketball as well as anyone in college not named Breanna Stewart. Think a reincarnation of Alyssa Thomas. Or Swin Cash. That good.

Finally, forget any notion that Geno would carefully ration her minutes. He seems to believe that when Rosemary says, "She's ready to play," that means Ready to Play.

So, thinking optomistically, Morgan will be eligible to play in about 115 games in her three seasons (this and two to follow). If she plays 240 minutes or so, we can expect about 200 points, 180 rebounds, inspirational leadership and two or more NC's.

GO MORGAN! GO HUSKIES!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
From about Minute 10 to Minute 16 of the second half, the five on the floor were "Tuck and the Four Freshmen". (Sounds like a fifties group -- 'Mag Wheel and the Lug Nuts", maybe?)

You would think that with that lineup, Morgan would be in the low block, right? Nah -- Geno put Gabby there, and Morgan played high and dished out the passes. After whistles, she would holler at the freshmen, seemingly about their positions on the floor. She has the skills and personality to do exactly what Stef did -- all she lacks is a few inches in height.

Between Stewie and Morgan, I don't think UConn will be lacking this year in assists from post players. Between the two of them, they may get as many assists as Stef got in her last two years.

I'm sure that is by design. Geno was quoted in the Courant over the weekend as noting that Stef got over 100 assists in each of her last two seasons (more than many good centers get in their college careers), and that's a lot of passing to replace. I think we're seeing what his plan is to do that.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
It was certainly heartening how good she looked yesterday, but I'll reserve judgement until we've been through a few regular season games...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You numbers confuse me - 200 points? 180 rebounds? 240 minutes?
It sounds like she is in better fitness than I expected and that her 'rustiness' is not going to be an issue. Both very positive signs.
Given the make-up of this team, I think she is too valuable as a post presence off the bench to have her in the starting line up and that putting her in the starting line up, presumably replacing Chong would unbalance the team. Her ability to spell Stokes, Stewart, and Kaleena is just to valuable. She will get plenty of minutes off the bench - starter type minutes.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Presuming Morgan remains healthy, next year will be Morgan's year to compete for All American Status. With the added depth that next years recruits bring, I expect to see a lineup of Butler, Morgan, Stewart, Moriah and not sure who the other starting guard will be. Geno has to bring Morgan off the bench this year due to no depth with front court players, otherwise she would be starting.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
You numbers confuse me - 200 points? 180 rebounds? 240 minutes?
It sounds like she is in better fitness than I expected and that her 'rustiness' is not going to be an issue. Both very positive signs.
Given the make-up of this team, I think she is too valuable as a post presence off the bench to have her in the starting line up and that putting her in the starting line up, presumably replacing Chong would unbalance the team. Her ability to spell Stokes, Stewart, and Kaleena is just to valuable. She will get plenty of minutes off the bench - starter type minutes.

Big OOPS! My numbers confused me, too. Try 1,600 points and 1,400 rebounds.

And I conceded the point about her coming off the bench this season to sustain team rebounding strength throughout the game(s). And Geno may have sent a signal (tribute to her leadership) when he kept her on the court with four younger players.

But starter minutes.

Reaction Score
They say that the great players are able to internally, mentally adjust the pace to take control of the game. There are only two players I've ever seen manifest this so powerfully for it to be externally visible, Oscar Robertson and Morgan Tuck. Yes, I just compared her to the only player ever to average a triple-double for an entire NBA season.

Reaction Score
Even as we acknowledge the shortcomings (pun intended) of the opposition in the two practice games, it is not possible to not get goosebumps over Morgan Tuck's dominance in both games.

It now appears that in all of the voluminous speculation about Morgan's role, most BY prognosticators got some projections right and were a half bubble off plumb with others.

I was in the mistaken minority who thought that Ms Tuck is simply too good not to start. Well, she is, but the need to sustain rebounding strength through the course of games clearly prevailed over individual talent issues.

Some 'Yarders simply forgot how good -- really, really good in Genospeak -- a player Morgan is/was. My belief is that she plays the game of basketball as well as anyone in college not named Breanna Stewart. Think a reincarnation of Alyssa Thomas. Or Swin Cash. That good.

Finally, forget any notion that Geno would carefully ration her minutes. He seems to believe that when Rosemary says, "She's ready to play," that means Ready to Play.

So, thinking optomistically, Morgan will be eligible to play in about 115 games in her three seasons (this and two to follow). If she plays 240 minutes or so, we can expect about 200 points, 180 rebounds, inspirational leadership and two or more NC's.

GO MORGAN! GO HUSKIES!
Like you, I have long been a huge believer in Morgan's abilities, and I also expected her to start. Frankly, I still think she's too good not to start.
However, I have no doubt that, assuming continued good health, when the season is over and done with her minutes will be indistinguishable from those of the starters in general, and will exceed those of any of the guards except Jefferson. Her contribution on defense alone will be gargantuan!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
They say that the great players are able to internally, mentally adjust the pace to take control of the game. There are only two players I've ever seen manifest this so powerfully for it to be externally visible, Oscar Robertson and Morgan Tuck. Yes, I just compared her to the only player ever to average a triple-double for an entire NBA season.
I actually think this is what makes Bird at 34 still the starter on the USA team - that inner 'clock' that knows the pace her team needs to maintain peak performance. I also think it was learning this that was the biggest improvement in Moriah's game last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom