The transfer portal opens today | Page 33 | The Boneyard

The transfer portal opens today

Reaction Score
Hass earned every chance to start next year. He has been a key piece off the bench and has earned his stripes, for 2 NC years. I’d be shocked if Hurley didn’t honor that, up until the point Hass feels like his best role is off the bench.

Portal priorities

Rim protecting 5 (Ballo type(
Shooting 2-3 (McNeely)

Reaction Score
This is my roster as of now for Game 1:

G: Diarra | Nowell
G: Solo | TRANSFER SHOOTER
F: JStew | Ross | Abraham
F: Karaban | Apostolos
C: Samson | TRANSFER | Singare

I think anyone listed as a forward can play either one for the most part in Hurley's system so thats not a concern. However, I do have some question marks for next year's team for it to be truly special, and that pretty much depends on the quality of the two transfers:

1) Guard: I am not sold on Solo to be a starter. I know he got a taste and held his own, but since he left the starting lineup and was replaced by JStew he did not play well at all. His shot selection was one of the worst I've ever seen on a well-coached team. Granted, it was garbage minutes half the time, but still. He need to have a huge summer to get to the next level, which I think he can. With that said, I have no problem with him playing Diarra minutes off the bench next year anyways if we get a transfer the level of Cam who starts. If we get more of a Joey transfer, Solo can start, but I expect a lot of Nowell playing the Diarra role with starter minutes off the bench. I also think there is a scenario where Nowell starts, Diarra at the off-ball guard and Solo off the bench, in which case having another combo guard off the bench as the transfer would be critical.

2) Center: Samson is going to be an awesome starter. He has big shoes to fill from the last two starters, but I am exciting for him to continue to grow. We need a beefy rim protector as the backup though. Someone more similar to Freshman Clingan than this past year's Samson. The change up works well for us on offense vs opposing D and its something we need to continue to exploit.

3) Transfers Out: If 1 does leave, I honeslty would be OK with it. We could add another shooter/guard to provide some better depth there as a lot of our depth is taken up by wings/forwards. But who? Ross/Singare are projects, but I feel like the fit in the locker room well and will probably stay? Ross is going to be everyone's default answer but I trust the staff to communicate properly to everyone on the roster. Solo less of a project but essentially got demoted, but again, feel like he also fits well with the off-court aspect so maybe that's a non-issue? I also want Apostolos being a rotation player. He's long, can shoot. Why not? I don't see why he can't play 8-10 mpg minimum. If Hurley can't promise that to him this summer, I hope he transfers to place that will let him play.

Reaction Score
This is my roster as of now for Game 1:

G: Diarra | Nowell
G: Solo | TRANSFER SHOOTER
F: JStew | Ross | Abraham
F: Karaban | Apostolos
C: Samson | TRANSFER | Singare

I think anyone listed as a forward can play either one for the most part in Hurley's system so thats not a concern. However, I do have some question marks for next year's team for it to be truly special, and that pretty much depends on the quality of the two transfers:

1) Guard: I am not sold on Solo to be a starter. I know he got a taste and held his own, but since he left the starting lineup and was replaced by JStew he did not play well at all. His shot selection was one of the worst I've ever seen on a well-coached team. Granted, it was garbage minutes half the time, but still. He need to have a huge summer to get to the next level, which I think he can. With that said, I have no problem with him playing Diarra minutes off the bench next year anyways if we get a transfer the level of Cam who starts. If we get more of a Joey transfer, Solo can start, but I expect a lot of Nowell playing the Diarra role with starter minutes off the bench. I also think there is a scenario where Nowell starts, Diarra at the off-ball guard and Solo off the bench, in which case having another combo guard off the bench as the transfer would be critical.

2) Center: Samson is going to be an awesome starter. He has big shoes to fill from the last two starters, but I am exciting for him to continue to grow. We need a beefy rim protector as the backup though. Someone more similar to Freshman Clingan than this past year's Samson. The change up works well for us on offense vs opposing D and its something we need to continue to exploit.

3) Transfers Out: If 1 does leave, I honeslty would be OK with it. We could add another shooter/guard to provide some better depth there as a lot of our depth is taken up by wings/forwards. But who? Ross/Singare are projects, but I feel like the fit in the locker room well and will probably stay? Ross is going to be everyone's default answer but I trust the staff to communicate properly to everyone on the roster. Solo less of a project but essentially got demoted, but again, feel like he also fits well with the off-court aspect so maybe that's a non-issue? I also want Apostolos being a rotation player. He's long, can shoot. Why not? I don't see why he can't play 8-10 mpg minimum. If Hurley can't promise that to him this summer, I hope he transfers to place that will let him play.
The line up will look completely different but I appreciate your loyalty to the players.

Reaction Score
No to another pg, hass is totally proven and Nowell is a dawg as well - he’ll play a lot like Kemba did in ‘09.

need the 2/3s we add to be ball handlers/high iq like Cam was. Like 2 of them, one starter and bench Joey California type.

Give me a big like Reed, high upside and beefy. Complements Slamson well.
Agreed, we have certainly been spoiled by the production at the C position for the last 2 years. The play of the Sanogo/Clingan combo rarely ever happens and Clingan's dominance this year was special. The expectations of UConn keeping that level of production from the C position are somewhat unreasonable. A guy like Reed with 2 years of eligibility would bring stability to the position. I would guess that the combo of Reed and Johnson would be in the 15 pts and 10-12 rebound per game range.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Hass earned every chance to start next year. He has been a key piece off the bench and has earned his stripes, for 2 NC years. I’d be shocked if Hurley didn’t honor that, up until the point Hass feels like his best role is off the bench.

Portal priorities

Rim protecting 5 (Ballo type(
Shooting 2-3 (McNeely)
McNeeley not a portaler

Reaction Score
We have people here saying he isn’t Clingan or Sanogo……..uhh who is? 2 years of eligibility and a massive amount of raw tools to work with. He’s going to be a great add if he chooses us.
I need a big who can shoot better than 47% free throws. I'll never get it. Anyone can practice and become at least a decent free-throw shooter if you put in the work. It's all technique and repetition. When I was on college, any free time I had I was in the gym practicing foul shots (I played a lot of pickup in parks and at school where you had to make foul shots to get picked, so this was important). I could consistently make 9 of 10 and I was no great baller, but I became a great free-throw and three point shooter from sheer practice. That was pretty much my entire game, plus an occasional put back and rebounding. You focus on your weakness to make them strengths.

Reaction Score
The portal is blowing up with talent. Really surprised at the big names and the big programs represented

Reaction Score
I need a big who can shoot better than 47% free throws. I'll never get it. Anyone can practice and become at least a decent free-throw shooter if you put in the work. It's all technique and repetition. When I was on college, any free time I had I was in the gym practicing foul shots (I played a lot of pickup in parks and at school where you had to make foul shots to get picked, so this was important). I could consistently make 9 of 10 and I was no great baller, but I became a great free-throw and three point shooter from sheer practice. That was pretty much my entire game, plus an occasional put back and rebounding. You focus on your weakness to make them strengths.
The situation he was in was not beneficial to development. And he still averaged 9 and 7 as a sophomore. He’s going to get better

Reaction Score
He also got absolutely destroyed by Edey twice. Barely scored (2 and 6 points) and fouled out both times (19 minutes and 26 minutes). I know that most centers did the same against Edey, but it's just shows how lucky we were to have had Clingan.

I'd prefer Cliff O or Aidoo from TN myself.
Cliff is 2 years older. It would not surprise me if Reed is the better player by the time he finishes college.
but if Hass is our 2nd string PG then that means Nowell is 3rd string and that's not gonna happen

we need a starting Wing and a Center
Or it could mean that Nowell is even better than expected and earns a starting role. Both will see plenty of court time

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
fukk nuts, not that this was a shocker in a way. I wonder if increases or decreases Michigan's chances of getting Danny Wolf.
Was rooting for FAU to beat Northwestern until I watched Goldin in that game. Fillipowski is Vlad light by comparison at least based on that game.

Reaction Score
Portal.gif

Reaction Score
Do you think some of these coaches secretly love the portal? Getting to move around pieces to build a team? It‘s probably a love-hate relationship.

From and longtime fan’s perspective, I thought I would hate the portal, and I did initially, but it adds a little excitement to the off-season.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

DID ANYONE KNOW THIS?!

edit: /s

Storrs Central is a great idea and I’m happy guys got around to implementing something like this. But man does the website interface need a facelift (at least for mobile).

The boneyard is so much easier to read and navigate.

Reaction Score
Do you think some of these coaches secretly love the portal? Getting to move around pieces to build a team? It‘s probably a love-hate relationship.

From and longtime fan’s perspective, I thought I would hate the portal, and I did initially, but it adds a little excitement to the off-season.
It adds opportunity.

Sometimes when you lose a lot of players, you know you're going to suck the next year and it takes a lot of excitement out of the next 6 months. Not so anymore.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom