The Realignment Landscape from a UConn Perspective | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Realignment Landscape from a UConn Perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maryland negotiated a front-loaded deal - they'll get $32M after their first season and also will be given a travel subsidy to help them adjust to the additional costs of being in the Big Ten. Rutgers received no such concessions.

Rutgers was Maryland's plus-one - they were not getting the invite without Maryland.
That sounds about right fishy but whether it was Md or someone else they were going when they found an appropriate partner is the way i heard it from someone(wifes friend) working in the AD. I watched it closely and it was pretty common knowledge in the RU connected social scene.Of course RU wasnt going to look for any concessions....they were not in a position to make demands. They were just relieved to save themselves!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ND is not part of the ACC for the revenue share. They get their own payout if they make the semis or an access bowl. Among the P5 conferences, it looks like there will be revenue sharing based somewhat on performance, so getting teams in the playoff will be a factor, although the P5 variation in payouts shouldn't be that great. I don't think the playoff money factor will be that great, but the prestige factor of getting teams in the playoff will be very large.

At least one conference will be left out of the playoff this year. It will be interesting to see how that conference and the media reacts!
One team will be left out per year...but for how long? How many years will the 4 team playoff be in place before it becomes 8 teams...and then 16?

Reaction Score
If UCONN is not invited to The B1G or ACC by the end of The AAC's current media deal, I would hope that your AD would strongly look into negotiating with the top programs of The AAC, MWC, and possibly MAC about forming a new conference meeting P5 Standard. Fox and NBC would likely covet a national reaching conference with plenty of name schools in it. Enough to provide a respectable media deal. At that point a push for an 8 team playoff will likely be in swing. P6 Conference Champs + 2 wild cards.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If UCONN is not invited to The B1G or ACC by the end of The AAC's current media deal, I would hope that your AD would strongly look into negotiating with the top programs of The AAC, MWC, and possibly MAC about forming a new conference meeting P5 Standard. Fox and NBC would likely covet a national reaching conference with plenty of name schools in it. Enough to provide a respectable media deal. At that point a push for an 8 team playoff will likely be in swing. P6 Conference Champs + 2 wild cards.

I don't know if it's possible, but a league that had UCONN, Buffalo, Cincinnati, ECU, UCF, USF, BYU, Boise, Northern Illinois, Houston, Fresno, and SDSU wouldn't be half bad for football. Enough local rivalries to develop and the travel would be football-only so not as bad. Top to bottom, it's probably as good as the ACC or B12 football (what I mean is that the bottom half of the league may be as good or better than those conferences' bottom halves). I have no idea if all of these schools are willing or able to adopt the P5 rules, but I think a conference along these lines (feel free to add/subtract wherever needed) should satisfy a SOS requirement for a playoff invite. But then again, that's only well and good if it can be done. There will probably be a fair amount of opposition to this concept from many areas (the P5 conferences, schools and the G5 conferences/schools that feel left out).

Reaction Score
Besides UConn in basketball and possibly Boise State in football, what "name schools" are members of the AAC/MWC/MAC?

Reaction Score
One team will be left out per year...but for how long? How many years will the 4 team playoff be in place before it becomes 8 teams...and then 16?

In the current P5 environment, I can see the playoff going to 8 teams: 5 conference champions, 2 at-large, and 1 G5. This makes the most sense long term and protects all of the conferences, allows for 2 really good teams that don't win their conferences (or ND) to make the playoffs, and incorporates the G5.

Reaction Score
I don't know if it's possible, but a league that had UCONN, Buffalo, Cincinnati, ECU, UCF, USF, BYU, Boise, Northern Illinois, Houston, Fresno, and SDSU wouldn't be half bad for football. Enough local rivalries to develop and the travel would be football-only so not as bad. Top to bottom, it's probably as good as the ACC or B12 football (what I mean is that the bottom half of the league may be as good or better than those conferences' bottom halves). I have no idea if all of these schools are willing or able to adopt the P5 rules, but I think a conference along these lines (feel free to add/subtract wherever needed) should satisfy a SOS requirement for a playoff invite. But then again, that's only well and good if it can be done. There will probably be a fair amount of opposition to this concept from many areas (the P5 conferences, schools and the G5 conferences/schools that feel left out).

No offense, but this is a really bad idea for a number of reasons. Buffalo? You have to be kidding. Northern Illinois? Why add another directional school? What about Navy? And, what about basketball? The AAC is better than this league as Temple, SMU, and Tulsa are better than virtually all of the adds.

And, you are kidding yourself if you think this is even close to the Big 12 in football quality. The bottom of the current Big 12 is comparable to the top of the current AAC.

I like that the AAC will be 12 schools for football and 11 schools for basketball. The football is good enough, although adding Boise St and SD St instead of Tulsa and Tulane was preferred. The 11 school basketball conference gives UConn flexibility for scheduling as long as we don't have to play everyone 2x.

I say let the AAC settle for a few years, then reassess. How has the AAC performed athletically? What has happened with football playoff access? Will the next media contract be better? Have all of the schools committed to keep up?

Reaction Score
UCONN (basketball, even their chicks are good), Buffalo (who?), Cincinnati (I think I've heard of them but have no interest in watching them), ECU (who?), UCF (who?), USF (who?), BYU (don't fornicate, drink, or carry-on, therefore can't be a real college), Boise (didn't they have a fluke win over Oklahoma once?), Northern Illinois (who?), Houston (phi slamma who? maybe I should have gone to BYU), Fresno (who?), and SDSU (who?)
My impression of the national impression in italics.

Dooley

Reaction Score
No offense, but this is a really bad idea for a number of reasons. Buffalo? You have to be kidding. Northern Illinois? Why add another directional school? What about Navy? And, what about basketball? The AAC is better than this league as Temple, SMU, and Tulsa are better than virtually all of the adds.

And, you are kidding yourself if you think this is even close to the Big 12 in football quality. The bottom of the current Big 12 is comparable to the top of the current AAC.

I like that the AAC will be 12 schools for football and 11 schools for basketball. The football is good enough, although adding Boise St and SD St instead of Tulsa and Tulane was preferred. The 11 school basketball conference gives UConn flexibility for scheduling as long as we don't have to play everyone 2x.

I say let the AAC settle for a few years, then reassess. How has the AAC performed athletically? What has happened with football playoff access? Will the next media contract be better? Have all of the schools committed to keep up?

Re-read my post dude. I said football only so I gave zero thought to basketball. Hey, I'm not in love with it either. Just trying to make lemonade here. And this would assume a lot of things that probably aren't going to happen anyway, like the AAC and other G5 conferences agreeing to some of their members to not play football in their leagues. The original post that I replied to said something along the lines of if the next AAC contract is renewed and isn't any better, than UCONN's AD should try to align with other ADs/schools to form a P6 football conference. If the next AAC contract is pulling in AT LEAST $10M/yr, then I agree with that 100%.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Guys, if you think a G5 conference is putting a playoff entrant in a field of 4 or 8, you are fooling yourselves. The deck has been stacked against the G5. The P5 conferences want every single penny of football revenue and will do everything possible to lock out the G5. Reform? Just another way to shed the ADs with budgets less than $60M. Scheduling? P5 schools are shifting towards only playing against other P5 schools OOC. G5 SOS won't be there in the status quo. Then there's the Selection Committee. If any of you think that a Selection Committee will be "fair and impartial", you have been hit in the head one too many times. A selection committee will pick a 2-loss P5 school 100 times out of 100 over anything that the G5 can offer (look no further to the SMU basketball snub this past NCAAT Selection). As we currently stand, the bottom half of G5 conferences are absolute garbage. The ONLY way to see a G5 school in a 8 team playoff (still no chance at a 4 team playoff) would be to consolidate G5 conferences and the best play the best every year.

pj

Reaction Score
You want Texas and major markets, so Houston and SMU are good. UCF and USF for the same reasons. UConn and Temple for northeastern markets. Navy and BYU have national followings. Cincy is about the best of the rest, Tulane was good at football once upon a time so maybe, Tulsa no, Memphis no, ECU maybe (good team but only a local following), Boise yes, SDSU yes, Fresno no - crap market falling apart economically, Colorado State and Buffalo are potential B1G partners one day so they should get consideration, but I would go with:

West: Houston, SMU, BYU, Tulane, Boise, San Diego State
East: UCF, USF, UConn, Temple, Navy, Cincy

Bench for 14: ECU, Colorado State

pj

Reaction Score
Guys, if you think a G5 conference is putting a playoff entrant in a field of 4 or 8, you are fooling yourselves. The deck has been stacked against the G5. The P5 conferences want every single penny of football revenue and will do everything possible to lock out the G5. Reform? Just another way to shed the ADs with budgets less than $60M. Scheduling? P5 schools are shifting towards only playing against other P5 schools OOC. G5 SOS won't be there in the status quo. Then there's the Selection Committee. If any of you think that a Selection Committee will be "fair and impartial", you have been hit in the head one too many times. A selection committee will pick a 2-loss P5 school 100 times out of 100 over anything that the G5 can offer (look no further to the SMU basketball snub this past NCAAT Selection). As we currently stand, the bottom half of G5 conferences are absolute garbage. The ONLY way to see a G5 school in a 8 team playoff (still no chance at a 4 team playoff) would be to consolidate G5 conferences and the best play the best every year.

Two words: antitrust law. If they go to an 8 team playoff and there are 6 conferences in the new division and 5 get automatic bids for their champion (which they will demand, this will be the main motivation to go to an 8 team playoff), then you can't deny the 6th conference champion a spot too.

Dooley

Reaction Score
You want Texas and major markets, so Houston and SMU are good. UCF and USF for the same reasons. UConn and Temple for northeastern markets. Navy and BYU have national followings. Cincy is about the best of the rest, Tulane was good at football once upon a time so maybe, Tulsa no, Memphis no, ECU maybe (good team but only a local following), Boise yes, SDSU yes, Fresno no - crap market falling apart economically, Colorado State and Buffalo are potential B1G partners one day so they should get consideration, but I would go with:

West: Houston, SMU, BYU, Tulane, Boise, San Diego State
East: UCF, USF, UConn, Temple, Navy, Cincy

Bench for 14: ECU, Colorado State

I would be on-board with something like this. Good markets, good football programs, and good recruiting areas. If it's football-only so we can stomach the travel outlier a few times out of the year for one sport. Personally, I would rather see ECU over Temple but I understand the market driven reason for adding Temple. Or replace Tulane with ECU.

Lemonade.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Two words: antitrust law. If they go to an 8 team playoff and there are 6 conferences in the new division and 5 get automatic bids for their champion (which they will demand, this will be the main motivation to go to an 8 team playoff), then you can't deny the 6th conference champion a spot too.

Yeah, but what conference is going to the 6th? The AAC? MWC? MAC? CUSA? Sun Belt? Any one of them could theoretically cry foul if their conference champion wasn't included in a 8 team playoff. If the G5 consolidated the best of the best every year, then there is more of an anti-trust argument. If not, then a Selection Committee can pick whoever they want. And what they will want won't be playing in a G5 conference (as it currently stands).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

This is where the potential break off of the P5 comes in. As I've posted dozens of times, I don't think the P5 can split with the current configuration, as it leaves too many schools out, opening up cartel claims. The options before a split are either (a) expansion by several leagues to something close to 5 x 16 or (b) a sixth P league. I think UConn and Aresco know, along with schools like BYU, that should further realignment not occur, the best of the MWC and AAC need to join together. Not a full merger, a 12 team league of only the top programs with east west divisions. That would yield more money for each to stay competitive, and it's a league that couldn't be kept out of the playoff on the same terms as the P5.

UConn, Cinci, UCF, USF, Houston, SMU (or ECU)
BYU, Boise, Colo State, Utah State, SDSU, Nevada

Reaction Score

The playoff brings money for each conference. Each P5 conference gets ~$50 million per year from the playoff and each G5 conference gets $18 million. There are some additional revenue sources such as $6 million per conference that gets a school in the semis and $4 million for each conference that gets into the 3 access bowls.

BTW, the reason football drives the bus is the way football money vs basketball money is divided. A large part of the NCAA basketball tournament money is kept by the NCAA to basically fund the NCAA and the non-revenue sports championships. The football playoff money is kept by the schools/conferences.

As for SMU, they deserved to be left out of the NCAA tournament due to their OOC scheduling which was beyond horrible. Since they hadn't competed for NCAA tournament bids in recent history, they had not figured that out before. (Virginia Tech has historically had this problem as well, even with They have fixed that for this year.

Building the AAC and creating separation with the other G5 conferences, which has already begun with the BCS win and men's and women's basketball championships, is a far better idea than becoming part of multiple conferences for the marquee sports.

Dooley

Reaction Score
The playoff brings money for each conference. Each P5 conference gets ~$50 million per year from the playoff and each G5 conference gets $18 million. There are some additional revenue sources such as $6 million per conference that gets a school in the semis and $4 million for each conference that gets into the 3 access bowls.

BTW, the reason football drives the bus is the way football money vs basketball money is divided. A large part of the NCAA basketball tournament money is kept by the NCAA to basically fund the NCAA and the non-revenue sports championships. The football playoff money is kept by the schools/conferences.

As for SMU, they deserved to be left out of the NCAA tournament due to their OOC scheduling which was beyond horrible. Since they hadn't competed for NCAA tournament bids in recent history, they had not figured that out before. (Virginia Tech has historically had this problem as well, even with They have fixed that for this year.

Building the AAC and creating separation with the other G5 conferences, which has already begun with the BCS win and men's and women's basketball championships, is a far better idea than becoming part of multiple conferences for the marquee sports.

It would be nice if the AAC can separate itself from the other G5 conferences. I agree that that is the best approach. It's just nice to have a contingency plan in case the next AAC contract pulls in the same chicken scratch as the current one.

Reaction Score
IMO you could put together a reasonably credible conference by bringing together the best of The AAC and MWC/BYU. You would have a handful of name programs, good TV Markets, and quality recruiting grounds to draw on. Its not going to be the SEC, but it doesn't have to be. If it could draw strong enough interest from both the TV Networks bidding on it and the fan bases comprising its membership, there would likely be enough momentum to force an expanded playoff. In the end I believe a school like UCONN, that has proven to be very resourceful over the years, can continue to compete across the board at 50% of the revenue of other conferences, but unfortunately not at 10%.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
IMO you could put together a reasonably credible conference by bringing together the best of The AAC and MWC/BYU. You would have a handful of name programs, good TV Markets, and quality recruiting grounds to draw on. Its not going to be the SEC, but it doesn't have to be. If it could draw strong enough interest from both the TV Networks bidding on it and the fan bases comprising its membership, there would likely be enough momentum to force an expanded playoff. In the end I believe a school like UCONN, that has proven to be very resourceful over the years, can continue to compete across the board at 50% of the revenue of other conferences, but unfortunately not at 10%.

That conference already existed. It didn't generate monetary interest from networks and the Western teams left.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The AAC has UConn, Cincy and a bunch of teams no one cares about. You're not getting anywhere with SMU, UCF, etc. (People will argue, but if they had any real worth, they would not have been in the remaindered bin when Aresco had to go shopping.)

The Mountain West might have even less. You have Boise football as long as they keep their noses above water, but at the end of the day, they're in Idaho.

Mixing the two conferences just means adding smaller and smaller airports to our circle of hell.

Reaction Score
The AAC has UConn, Cincy and a bunch of teams no one cares about. You're not getting anywhere with SMU, UCF, etc. (People will argue, but if they had any real worth, they would not have been in the remaindered bin when Aresco had to go shopping.)

The Mountain West might have even less. You have Boise football as long as they keep their noses above water, but at the end of the day, they're in Idaho.

Mixing the two conferences just means adding smaller and smaller airports to our circle of hell.

Most teams only have regional interest. Boise and BYU probably have more national interest than 75% of teams in the P5.

Reaction Score
That conference already existed. It didn't generate monetary interest from networks and the Western teams left.
No that conference did not exist. A 16 team WAC Conference comprised of too many small market programs did however. Not the same thing, but I assume you are being argumentative for the sake of doing so.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No that conference did not exist. A 16 team WAC Conference comprised of too many small market programs did however. Not the same thing, but I assume you are being argumentative for the sake of doing so.

You must have forgotten when Boise and San Diego State were in the Big East.

pj

Reaction Score
You must have forgotten when Boise and San Diego State were in the Big East.

Easy to forget, since they never played a game. But they did pay exit fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom