The problem is NOT the talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
It is at the QB position.

Reaction Score
You don't think there is a talent issue on offense? Are we watching the same games?

Reaction Score
It's not the talent on defense. Offense ? Different story. Have to be able to recruit on a different level. Coaching doesn't help. . .where did the TEs disappear to.

Reaction Score
With better coaching this team is at least 8-3 and 4-2 and in mix for BCS berth. NC State, W Mich, Temple, and USF were all winnable games

Reaction Score
With better coaching this team is at least 8-3 and 4-2 and in mix for BCS berth. NC State, W Mich, Temple, and USF were all winnable games

... and with better kicking in one game, we are already bowl eligible. :p

Reaction Score
Ryan Griffin has had good games this year as have Nick Williams, Davis, McCombs and even Whitmer.

The OL has had good quarters and not so good quarters. We have been too inconsistent and I believe that fault lies on GDL's play calling, no the talent.

I can't remember McCombs getting a screen thrown to him, at least not more than once every three games, if that. Today it went for a real nice gain.

So IMO it's much more coaching's fault than lack of talent, though I did see more first down passing in the second half...I think.

Reaction Score

P and D are clueless and incompetent. Most of the good stuff they ran in the first half was shelved.

We've scored 3 combined points in all of second halves of Big East play. How do you do that?

Reaction Score
Ryan Griffin has had good games this year as have Nick Williams, Davis, McCombs and even Whitmer.

The OL has had good quarters and not so good quarters. We have been too inconsistent and I believe that fault lies on GDL's play calling, no the talent.

I can't remember McCombs getting a screen thrown to him, at least not more than once every three games, if that. Today it went for a real nice gain.

So IMO it's much more coaching's fault than lack of talent, though I did see more first down passing in the second half...I think.

But you don't know how the play-calling would have turned out IF the o-line held, the receivers ran the proper routes, or held onto a few more balls. I am mystified where the tight ends (other than a few grabs by Delahunt early) went today and therefore I'm not arguing that our offensive coordinator is not the bigger of our problem.

Reaction Score
P and D are clueless and incompetent. Most of the good stuff they ran in the first half was shelved.

We've scored 3 combined points in all of second halves of Big East play. How do you do that?
yepper. the reason I kind of stick up for PP is that there is no way Warde is getting rid of him after 2. But GDL's resume is so, so bad, I mean what else do you need to see? the guy is clueless.

Reaction Score

I don't think thats its fair to assume that the team automatically wins every winnable game at the least. Not realistic at all. I don't know where the idea that uconn is more talented than most other d 1 teams came from. The depth chart doesnt say so. There is no sound justification to think that this team should win 9 games, with no running game, and a first year qb prone to throw ints, and a weak offensive line. The defense has performed tremendously.

I agree that with better coaching this team should at least be bowl eligible.

Reaction Score
P and D are clueless and incompetent. Most of the food stuff they ran in the first half was shelved.

+1000

Can't put this all on GDL. PP is the head and he allows this to persist. Many clandestine PP supporters keep trying to focus on GDL as the man to fire. Wrong. There are 2 to fire here and nothing else will do if we want to resurrect this program. 5-7, 6-6 is worst possible outcome from a longer term Perspective. But, let's beat some Bearcats.

Reaction Score
+1000

Can't put this all on GDL. PP is the head and he allows this to persist. Many clandestine PP supporters keep trying to focus on GDL as the man to fire. Wrong. There are 2 to fire here and nothing else will do if we want to resurrect this program. 5-7, 6-6 is worst possible outcome from a longer term Perspective. But, let's beat some Bearcats.

Did you see him after the game? He is a Zombie. The boys won today despite those two,

Reaction Score
nation, with all due respect, if you don't think this team was coached into losses this season. . . . .I don't know how to respond to that. the only reason we are competitive is we have a great defense and a great defensive coordinator. By the way, this defense WILL end up in the top 10 in the country. Would it be top 10 if they played in the SEC? Probably not, but they would be pretty damn respectable

Reaction Score
nation, with all due respect, if you don't think this team was coached into losses this season. . . . .I don't know how to respond to that. the only reason we are competitive is we have a great defense and a great defensive coordinator. By the way, this defense WILL end up in the top 10 in the country. Would it be top 10 if they played in the SEC? Probably not, but they would be pretty damn respectable

I agree that the defense is a top ten defense statistically, but my point is that the rest of the roster is not balanced enough to be a really good team ( i.e. 8 or 9 or 10 win team). Do I believe that the coaching staff has lost some games yes. Are they frustratingly boring at times, yes. Has GDL done a horrible job with the offensive line and his blocking schemes yes. Did PP give up points at the end of the first half against Rutgers, with bad clock management? Yes. Was the coaching staff, responsible for the temple loss, and the last drive where they didnt call a time out to re-set defense, yes. Can you blame to coaching staff for some losses yes. But if you honestly, thought that uconn would win the big east this year, I dont know what to say?

Is this a BCS caliber roster that should be one of the better teams in the country. Not a chance. And I say this knowing full well, that BWW, Sio Moore, Smallwood, Trevardo, and Ryan Griffin will play on sundays.

Reaction Score
There's enough talent here to be better than 111th in the nation in total offense, that's for sure.

While I was looking that up, I saw something else interesting. BSU is 80th in total offense and it's fair to say our recruiting rankings are about the same if not better than theirs. They have 9 wins, we now have 5. If we we were a little bit better on offense, we might have 9 wins too. That's coaching.

Reaction Score
There's enough talent here be better than 111th in the nation in total offense, that's for sure.

Honest question. With the talent we have on O, how much higher do you think we would be?

Look, I am not defending GDL's play calling. But if people can't see that this O is lacking talent, I don't know what to say. From receivers dropping passes, to rb's missing holes, to lineman getting beat one on one in pass pro, to a qb who turns the ball over quite a bit.

With that said, we should have won at least half of the close games we were in, and that was due to some questionable coaching decisions.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't think thats its fair to assume that the team automatically wins every winnable game at the least. Not realistic at all. I don't know where the idea that uconn is more talented than most other d 1 teams came from. The depth chart doesnt say so. There is no sound justification to think that this team should win 9 games, with no running game, and a first year qb prone to throw ints, and a weak offensive line. The defense has performed tremendously.

I agree that with better coaching this team should at least be bowl eligible.
I could very well be wrong but I believe that it is very fair to assume this.

Reaction Score
All this team needed was an average to below average offensive co ordinator and O line coach and with this defense we have at least two more wins right now. I'm thinking NC State and Temple at minimum maybe even Western Michigan. This staff has left wins on the field. There was enough talent on hand to go on the road and beat the 20th ranked team in the land.

Reaction Score
All this team needed was an average to below average offensive co ordinator and O line coach and with this defense we have at least two more wins right now. I'm thinking NC State and Temple at minimum maybe even Western Michigan. This staff has left wins on the field. There was enough talent on hand to go on the road and beat the 20th ranked team in the land.

The 11th game of the season...

We should have taken NCST. Temple was on the placekicker - 12 points left on field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom