The one hole in our armor | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The one hole in our armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Our perimeter defense needs to be better. Too many threes throughout the year. We're not talking about Notre Dame, who is a different league, the league of UConn and ND. The rebounding was much better, and the passing incredible as always. The bench is a concern without Morgan. Brianna has been very iffy and Saniya plays well one game and not the next.

Given:
1. If you can't get inside baskets, you're going to take more outside shots.
2. The AAC has a lot of guard-oriented teams who aren't going to the basket much anyhow.

Therefore:
Since these are competent basketball players, more attempts = more successes, regardless of the success %.

UConn's opponents average an aggregate 26.2% 3FG%. I see nothing to worry about.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Our perimeter defense needs to be better. Too many threes throughout the year. We're not talking about Notre Dame, who is a different league, the league of UConn and ND. The rebounding was much better, and the passing incredible as always. The bench is a concern without Morgan. Brianna has been very iffy and Saniya plays well one game and not the next.
How many it too many? Uconn only allows teams to shoot 26% on 3's. They make less than 5 per game.

Much ado about nothing.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Hard to say what you can take from what one team does against UConn and apply it to a completely different team. SJU was top 50 in FG% and top 40 in 3pt FG%. They missed a few 3s in the first 7 minutes so UConn was willing to make them prove they could hit them. Three were from the top of the key and were fairly wide open, especially the first where Bria arrived late. One was on a quick pass out after an offensive rebound. Three from Shields were very deep and two were well defended, and a third was with MoJeff biting a bit on a fake pass to allow Shields just enough space to launch one. Overall, the Hawks shot well despite good pressure most of the time.

SJU and BYU have very similar shooting stats and make 5 to 6 3pt FGs per game, and Beeston and Eaton of BYU will need attention out on the perimeter, but hard to say what they will try to do to get open.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
St Joe's guards were able to get open for their jump shots. They weren't able to make them, but many of their 3's were wide open shots.
I must have been watching a different game, because I saw a whole lotta desperation (what else could St. Joe's do) 3 point attempts of the 25'+ variety.

I think Geno would happily allow other teams to shoot marginally contested NBA 3's all day long, if they think that's gonna be their best strategy. I'll also happily trade 50%+ shooting on 2's for us, against 30% shooting on 3's for the other guys and position Kiah at the top of the key with a catchers glove to collect all those long rebounds!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
My formerly photographic memory fails me once again. Out of film. So somebody please help me.

Did Secretariat ever lose a horse race?

Or Pavarotti hit a note off-key?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
With the concern about our zoning ND. I checked my TV Guide to see when the game is on. Anyone help?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
You can question how wide open the St Joe's guards were last night, but there were many times that they were wide open. As I was watching the game last night, I thought its a good thing that the front line was so dominant as UConn was able to score two baskets for every one that St Joe's was. Of course there were some runs, so the game got out of hand quickly and St Joes's never had a chance to get back into the game. Did the score, contribute to the reduction of defensive intensity sure it did, but St Joe's did get open looks frequently. Of course UConn's starting five was so superior that St Joe's never had a chance even if they were hitting their shots.

Personally I'm glad UConn will face either Depaul or A&M before the final four. Both teams have quality guards, which will enable the team to face a team that plays a similar style to Notre Dame. Neither team plays offense as efficiently as ND does and their defense is not as good either. I'm guessing UConn will face DePaul in the Regional final. What I'm saying, I'd rather see the team face either Depaul or A&M over a team like South Carolina due to the style of play each team plays. I'm not saying South Carolina would beat UConn either, as I don't think they would. South Carolina is more reliant on their post players and to get ready for ND, I rather see them meet teams that are more reliant on their guards. Of course nothing is guaranteed and both UConn and ND have to continue to win if they are going to meet for the National Championship.

BTW: UConn averages 21+ assists a game, Depaul 19+ assists and A&M 16+ assists a game.

Reaction Score
Against St Joes, did anyone else notice the one thing ND will exploit?
Has me a bit worried (a bit).

Otherwise, it was a beautiful game.

(Swin and Nykesha were having a good time, but Swin had her hair covered. - one of her best features.)
Yes, they did hit threes. Don't you think Geno will treat ND differently. He didn't worry as much about St. Joe's hitting some threes. He always keeps some trick up his sleeve for big games down the road.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Geno said recently that one of the issues with having a short bench is they can't extend the defense or press as much as he would like. I imagine that also is why we've seen so much zone this year. It will be interesting to see how he has the team defend the really strong perimeter shooting teams.

Reaction Score
St Joe's guards were able to get open for their jump shots. They weren't able to make them, but many of their 3's were wide open shots.

Again, if you settle for 3 point shots from NBA range, yeah, most of them will be wide open.

Reaction Score
Geno said recently that one of the issues with having a short bench is they can't extend the defense or press as much as he would like. I imagine that also is why we've seen so much zone this year. It will be interesting to see how he has the team defend the really strong perimeter shooting teams.

I am usually the one who takes offense when an uninformed BY'er critisizes out team but I have to say I think our zone is one I pray is only used to rest our players in a blowout.

Reaction Score
With the big lineup, everyone completely ignores the fact someone like Loyd, or McBride has to try and guard Stewie, and that is a huge mismatch. Just ask Skylar what its like trying to defend Stewie one on one, she didn't do very well on that fast break in the semi-final game.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
My formerly photographic memory fails me once again. Out of film. So somebody please help me.

Did Secretariat ever lose a horse race?

Or Pavarotti hit a note off-key?
In his 21 starts, Secretariat did lose 4 races and was disqualified once, so his winning percentage of 76% isn't as good as Geno's teams but like them he was undefeated in the events that really count. As to the other query, I'm afraid I'm in that minority that thinks opera singers never have on-key notes, so I'm probably not the best one to give an opinion on Pavarotti.

As to the open 3s, players can always get open if they stand far enough behind the line, and you just tip your hat if they go in and make sure to grab the rebound and break out for a lay-up if they don't. There were three successful shots from the top of the key that were a little too open, but that's what the early tourney games are for, to learn from.

Reaction Score
With the big lineup, everyone completely ignores the fact someone like Loyd, or McBride has to try and guard Stewie, and that is a huge mismatch. Just ask Skylar what its like trying to defend Stewie one on one, she didn't do very well on that fast break in the semi-final game.

You mentioned that semi-final, I think the only hole in the armor I've seen in the last year was ND's ability to get close to the rim often. Now they didn't convert much, Stef was hurting and they probably overplayed one or two of the opposing players creating favorable backdoor situations, but it was still a little disconcerting. Probably would have changed up if ND converted more often.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I don't think you will see much of the 3 big lineup against ND but when they do play it and they are in M2M defense, I would expect Dolson on Bracker, stokes on Achonwa and Stewart on McBride.

Morgan guarded McBride very effectively last season.
Stewart will give her fits; she isn't that quick.
And how will they guard us?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
In his 21 starts, Secretariat did lose 4 races and was disqualified once, so his winning percentage of 76% isn't as good as Geno's teams but like them he was undefeated in the events that really count. As to the other query, I'm afraid I'm in that minority that thinks opera singers never have on-key notes, so I'm probably not the best one to give an opinion on Pavarotti.

I am astonished that any horse ever ran around a track faster than Secretariat. As for Pavarotti, you must take my word -- he never sang an off-key note. Never. Ever.

He set the bar so high nobody else could reach it.

Like Benny Goodman. Lionel Hampton. Art Tatum.

Geno Auriemma.

DoggyDaddy.

TonyC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members