The Official 2024 NY Jets Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Official 2024 NY Jets Thread

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Keep him for what? Dress 3 QB's? Put him on the practice squad? Overpay him to not dress and be a non-medical DNP every week? I'd rather draft someone in the 3-4th rd and do that on the cheap.
and do what with zach….eat his $5.5mm salary? I think Johnson doesn’t want to draft or sign a 3rd qb and pay zach $5.5mm to play for someone else.

They probably should just move on…but I get Johnson’s logic.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
and do what with zach….eat his $5.5mm salary? I think Johnson doesn’t want to draft or sign a 3rd qb and pay zach $5.5mm to play for someone else.

They probably should just move on…but I get Johnson’s logic.
Unless you can trade him, I'd keep him. He's got tools, he just hasn't learned how to play QB. At some point the QBs will start getting hurt and somebody will trade for him (like Dobbs to Minnesota last year).

Reaction Score
Mark my words. If they keep him he WILL be their starting quarterback somehow before Halloween.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
not sure how I feel about the Reddick trade. First…does this mean they don‘t think McDonald can be a starter? he was a questionable pick…if he doesn’t pan out…this will just be another reason Douglas should be unemployed. Second….does this limit their cap room to sign a decent OT backup? Third…this could end up costing them a third round pick a couple years from now.

Reddick is a good player…but I assumed when they let Huff go that they felt comfortable with who they had a DE. I guess not.

Reaction Score
not sure how I feel about the Reddick trade. First…does this mean they don‘t think McDonald can be a starter? he was a questionable pick…if he doesn’t pan out…this will just be another reason Douglas should be unemployed. Second….does this limit their cap room to sign a decent OT backup? Third…this could end up costing them a third round pick a couple years from now.

Reddick is a good player…but I assumed when they let Huff go that they felt comfortable with who they had a DE. I guess not.

It’s a one year deal. I wonder if they are not in contention, if they can deal him to a contender and recover something anywhere close to what they gave up.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
It’s a one year deal. I wonder if they are not in contention, if they can deal him to a contender and recover something anywhere close to what they gave up.
In your scenario..thats a bad deal. THere is no way they get a third round pick back for him.

But what do you think this means for McDonald?

Reaction Score
In your scenario..thats a bad deal. THere is no way they get a third round pick back for him.

But what do you think this means for McDonald?
I don't know what it speaks to McDonald...even if he could round into something at some point, Reddick is elite NOW and it's clear they're pushing all their chips in for this season as the big run.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I don't know what it speaks to McDonald...even if he could round into something at some point, Reddick is elite NOW and it's clear they're pushing all their chips in for this season as the big run.
i would rather they push their chips in on a backup swing tackle or WR. This team always puts its focus on the DL….when they continue to struggle on offense.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
ok….I think I have changed my position on the draft.

I still think Bowers is the right call (assumes top 3 WR are gone). I really think the OL is good enough and Warren and maybe Bakhtiari could be the swing tackles. I love the idea of a non-traditional TE being a weapon for Rodgers. Creative utilization of Bowers would be a nightmare for DCs to gameplan for.

But…the more I think about Hackett being counted on to be creative with a unique weapon, I realize it would be a wasted pick. The only way this pick would work is if Rodgers himself declares he has an idea how to use Bowers. Hackett is not the guy to take a unique weapon and make it work.

So…i think they should either trade back and try to recoup their second round pick…or just pick the best OL.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
ok….I think I have changed my position on the draft.

I still think Bowers is the right call (assumes top 3 WR are gone). I really think the OL is good enough and Warren and maybe Bakhtiari could be the swing tackles. I love the idea of a non-traditional TE being a weapon for Rodgers. Creative utilization of Bowers would be a nightmare for DCs to gameplan for.

But…the more I think about Hackett being counted on to be creative with a unique weapon, I realize it would be a wasted pick. The only way this pick would work is if Rodgers himself declares he has an idea how to use Bowers. Hackett is not the guy to take a unique weapon and make it work.

So…i think they should either trade back and try to recoup their second round pick…or just pick the best OL.
I think Bowers should be the pick. As a Pats fan, I hope he's not. An impact TE teams have to game plan around is probably the rarest thing in the NFL. They don't come around often. I think they have a bigger impact than a WR because the gap between the top and even the middle tier in the league is huge. OL is hard to project, tons of good ones always come on day 2-3 and take time to develop.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I think Bowers should be the pick. As a Pats fan, I hope he's not. An impact TE teams have to game plan around is probably the rarest thing in the NFL. They don't come around often. I think they have a bigger impact than a WR because the gap between the top and even the middle tier in the league is huge. OL is hard to project, tons of good ones always come on day 2-3 and take time to develop.
i agree…but my point is that Hackett won’t utilize Bowers’ unique skillset…so why pick him. i guess you fan pick him for the next OC.

Reaction Score
Two hours before the draft?

I’m hoping they take one of the top 3 OL.

If they don’t? I hope it’s to get Marvin Harrison Jr if he falls. If they end up with Bowers? I won’t cry but for now? I think an OL helps the team more all day, every play.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Two hours before the draft?

I’m hoping they take one of the top 3 OL.

If they don’t? I hope it’s to get Marvin Harrison Jr if he falls. If they end up with Bowers? I won’t cry but for now? I think an OL helps the team more all day, every play.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
i think this was the right call. if they had a better OC and a healthier OL, i would have picked Bowers. now they should feel confident in the OL this year.

Reaction Score
i think this was the right call. if they had a better OC and a healthier OL, i would have picked Bowers. now they should feel confident in the OL this year.

And he could/should be the next Mangold/Mawae type legacy guys even beyond Rodgers.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The Jets could have taken Rodgers' heir apparent. So in that regard, they may have blown it.

OTOH, who knows what the Jets will look like in 2025 in terms of head coach, QB coach, OC, etc? Any QB going to the Jets this year has a legit chance to blow up, and not in a good way with multiple regime changes (Darnold, Wilson).

O-Line was probably the safest bet.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The Jets could have taken Rodgers' heir apparent. So in that regard, they may have blown it.

OTOH, who knows what the Jets will look like in 2025 in terms of head coach, QB coach, OC, etc? Any QB going to the Jets this year has a legit chance to blow up, and not in a good way with multiple regime changes (Darnold, Wilson).

You'll probably think I'm a Pats fan trolling, but Spencer Rattler really is a pretty high upside QB option later in the draft. He's one of those guys who could actually be pretty good. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Saints target him to develop behind Carr. But with no 2nd round pick, Jets probably need something else in round 3.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score

That would make no sense. This is a win now team. They don’t have the luxury of drafting a top quarterback and hoping he pans out. They will probably pick a qb in the later rounds.

They needed insurance this year on the OL and it gives them options next year.

I would say they look WR for their next pick and then QB. But with all the qbs going so early there may not be any decent options left.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
That would make no sense. This is a win now team. They don’t have the luxury of drafting a top quarterback and hoping he pans out. They will probably pick a qb in the later rounds.

They needed insurance this year on the OL and it gives them options next year.

I would say they look WR for their next pick and then QB. But with all the qbs going so early there may not be any decent options left.
i like the WR pick….seems Gipson-esque…but love the YAC. Next….a qb probably.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom