The Official 2024 New England Patriots Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Official 2024 New England Patriots Thread

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I kept saying Buffalo and Miami were going to get weaker, not stronger.

Why does Vegas put out O/U win totals five months before training camp, and before the Draft or 2nd wave of Free Agency, post Draft?

Should have locked in the unders for Buffalo and Miami, but I'd of course give it all back on the over for Washington, who even without a QB have a decent shot at a wildcard right now.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why does Vegas put out O/U win totals five months before training camp, and before the Draft or 2nd wave of Free Agency, post Draft?

Should have locked in the unders for Buffalo and Miami, but I'd of course give it all back on the over for Washington, who even without a QB have a decent shot at a wildcard right now.
I was excited to bet the over 4.5 on the Patriots but the odds were -145. Worst of all those bets. Suggests that Vegas was seeing all the money hit the over. If Chad Ryland made a couple of routine kicks they'd win 5 last year.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Patriots have now met with each of the top 4 projected QBs. I think that's the correct move. Need to be fully informed for what may be a wild draft.

I have gone back and forth on these four guys. My general sense, in order of preference is:
1. Drake Maye. Most upside. Probably also the lowest floor if he doesn't fix some of this issues and learn how to play in an NFL style system throwing on timing. Have to hope he makes a leap, but if he does, you're set.
2. JJ McCarthy. Pats fans seem down on him, but most are ignorant of college football. All the physical tools, very athletic, can play in an NFL timing system and has good mechanics. Great throwing on the move (like Steve Young was).
3. Jayden Daniels. Fast, great and dangerous runner, really good outside thrower on deep fades and curls. Improved a lot, ceiling is lower due to mediocre arm and questionable frame. Have to build a unique offense around him and load it with outside receiving threats. Very poor fit in New England.
4. Michael Penix. Best deep ball throwing in the class. Better mobility than expected post injury. Very good arm, throws out of the pocket. Can be rattled by pressure and loses composure. Best on a solid team with good weapons around him. Older, injury risk. High floor.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You thought Mac Jones was good.
For a year, he was. McCarthy is nothing at all like Mac Jones. Couldn't be more different. I keep seeing this from Pats fans and it makes no sense at all. If you want to compare there's a guy with one year of huge production at an SEC school with elite WRs and nothing else on his resume, and that's Daniels.

Reaction Score
Very strange, given how bad the roster is, the Patriots are just sitting in $53 million in cap space.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Very strange, given how bad the roster is, the Patriots are just sitting in $53 million in cap space.
They are trying to extend Barmore and probably Judon. Post draft, there will be more trades and FA signings. I still think they may bring Gillmore back. FA essentially goes on hold as the draft gets closer.

Reaction Score
Patriots have now met with each of the top 4 projected QBs. I think that's the correct move. Need to be fully informed for what may be a wild draft.

I have gone back and forth on these four guys. My general sense, in order of preference is:
1. Drake Maye. Most upside. Probably also the lowest floor if he doesn't fix some of this issues and learn how to play in an NFL style system throwing on timing. Have to hope he makes a leap, but if he does, you're set.
2. JJ McCarthy. Pats fans seem down on him, but most are ignorant of college football. All the physical tools, very athletic, can play in an NFL timing system and has good mechanics. Great throwing on the move (like Steve Young was).
3. Jayden Daniels. Fast, great and dangerous runner, really good outside thrower on deep fades and curls. Improved a lot, ceiling is lower due to mediocre arm and questionable frame. Have to build a unique offense around him and load it with outside receiving threats. Very poor fit in New England.
4. Michael Penix. Best deep ball throwing in the class. Better mobility than expected post injury. Very good arm, throws out of the pocket. Can be rattled by pressure and loses composure. Best on a solid team with good weapons around him. Older, injury risk. High floor.

I assume your list has Caleb already off the board?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I assume your list has Caleb already off the board?
Of course. I know he's not falling to #3. These are the guys the Pats could land. I didn't include Nix or Rattler, but they'd be 5-6 in some order.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Maybe they'll surprise but I have less faith in this crew than I do Craig Breslow. Instead of taking a top QB, I think they are going to trade down and end up with a stiff.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Now this is a great start. Thankful the Commanders gifted him to us.

Reaction Score
The Pats did the right thing, now they have a plan.

Very curious to see how this plays out. For the record, i think it’s the right pick for them.

That said. As a Jets fan who’s lived in this new coach, new OC, new young QB cycle with lather rinse repeat over and over? I can’t wait to see how this goes.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Very curious to see how this plays out. For the record, i think it’s the right pick for them.

That said. As a Jets fan who’s lived in this new coach, new OC, new young QB cycle with lather rinse repeat over and over? I can’t wait to see how this goes.
There's no guarantees in this. My hope lies mostly in Alex Van Pelt and McCartney. Van Pelt was Aaron Rodger's QB coach. He played QB in the NFL for a decade. I think so. Zach Wilson's problems are largely mental. Maye has footwork issues stemming from that crap Air Raid system at UNC. So can they fix that?

Reaction Score
There's no guarantees in this. My hope lies mostly in Alex Van Pelt and McCartney. Van Pelt was Aaron Rodger's QB coach. He played QB in the NFL for a decade. I think so. Zach Wilson's problems are largely mental. Maye has footwork issues stemming from that crap Air Raid system at UNC. So can they fix that?

Again. I know sucking is a new feeling. What you said about Van Pelt? They said the same about Adam Gase with Peyton Manning.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I agree, the making the right pick is just the start. But I was afraid they were going to try and get cute.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Again. I know sucking is a new feeling. What you said about Van Pelt? They said the same about Adam Gase with Peyton Manning.
Gase had less of a track record and never played the position. Maye may not be it, but I feel pretty good about the situation. Even more so because he's probably not a day 1 starter. He can learn from Brissett.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Now this is a great start. Thankful the Commanders gifted him to us.

I don't think they gifted Maye to NE. Being a fan of both teams, I am happy they both their guy and that I can root for both. Certainly wouldn't have minded if they went vice versa either.

Seem like WSH think Daniels has the higher floor and can come in and start right away. After 20+ years of unmatched success, Pats fans seem more willing to let Maye mature after the Mac Jones era...provided it works out.

Washington is fiending to rip the bandage clear off following the darkness of the Daniel Snyder era.

Hopefully both are a good fit.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Being a fan of both teams, I am happy they both got their guy and I can root for both of them. I wouldn't have minded if it went vice versa either, but word is that Daniels can start on day 1 and Maye should probably hold a clipboard and wear an ear piece for a few months, if not the season. While the Patriots gave us two dynasties, WSH was mired in a 24 year Snyder bog of suck, known virtually only to Jets fans.

Also, I don't think the instant comparisons to Brady are fair. TB12 casts a long shadow as a living NFL legend, but a minimum of two other fulltime starters will have gone through Foxborough by the time Maye takes a regular season snap. Maye is not following Brady. He's following Mac and hopefully Brissett.

I'm listening to some Washington podcasts. They are very happy with Daniels, but have quickly turned the page. Washington has five 2nd day picks tonight that can absolutely form their foundation for the foreseeable future.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

i am not so sure it was the right pick. Of course..being a Jets fan, I have qb PTSD…lol.

i would have taken Harrison…he is a sure thing.

It will be interesting to see how this qb class develops. i personally liked Penix better than Maye…but time will tell. I still can’t believe the falcons picked Penix after giving COusins a 4 year deal. So…it will be awhile to see if Penix develops into a good qb.

Reaction Score
Gase had less of a track record and never played the position. Maye may not be it, but I feel pretty good about the situation. Even more so because he's probably not a day 1 starter. He can learn from Brissett.

Clearly you know best. We’ll see!

Husky25

Reaction Score
What else did the Pats get for trading back 3 slots?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom