The Official 2024 New England Patriots Thread | The Boneyard

The Official 2024 New England Patriots Thread

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Time to create a new thread for this season.

Latest from Mike Reiss

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The cap is fake they say.

Reaction Score

Some of these are like listing Mac Jones Pro Bowler, sure it was real at one point, but not in this reality.

Mitch Morse is the only true loss here, but he's turning 32 and that is life in the NFL.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Some of these are like listing Mac Jones Pro Bowler, sure it was real at one point, but not in this reality.

Mitch Morse is the only true loss here, but he's turning 32 and that is life in the NFL.
I get it. But they have to be replaced, and likely by guys who aren't as good.

Von Miller did the smart thing and took one for the team.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Not many surprises. Deonte Harty is not an All-pro because of his production at Wide Receiver. He had 21 targets last year over 16 games and 940 yards over 5 years. It was probably among their easier decisions to try and find another punt returner and save $4 million. On the other hand, he went to Assumption, so I home he catches on somewhere.

The Mac Jones Era in Foxborough came to a merciful end today. He had a real promising rookie year, and as good of a coach as Belichick was for 20-some years, he did Jones no favors for his "sophomore" (and beyond) campaign.

The Patriots were forced to sell low, but at least they got something and don't have to worry about gambling on his 5th year rookie option. For his sake, New England was a toxic environment. Now he'll be closer to where he grew up, and not be under such a microscope as Trevor Lawrence's back up.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Not many surprises. Deonte Harty is not an All-pro because of his production at Wide Receiver. He had 21 targets last year over 16 games and 940 yards over 5 years. It was probably among their easier decisions to try and find another punt returner and save $4 million. On the other hand, he went to Assumption, so I home he catches on somewhere.

The Mac Jones Era in Foxborough came to a merciful end today. He had a real promising rookie year, and as good of a coach as Belichick was for 20-some years, he did Jones no favors for his "sophomore" (and beyond) campaign.

The Patriots were forced to sell low, but at least they got something and don't have to worry about gambling on his 5th year rookie option. For his sake, New England was a toxic environment. Now he'll be closer to where he grew up, and not be under such a microscope as Trevor Lawrence's back up.
They weren't picking up year 5. Nor will Jax. He's back home and can reset. Hope his career works out for him, I think he has enough talent to be a bridge starter/strong backup option.

Free agency tomorrow. Not sure what we will see from the Patriots. I'd be happy to land Deandre Swift at RB. Could use a guy with some speed to go with Mondre. So many big name FA RBs, his market may be soft.

I'm not sure they can afford Christian Wilkins at DT but he'd be amazing next to Barmore. I think DT and FS are the biggest needs on the defensive side. Lots of goof FS on the market now too. I doubt they will come away with Ridley, but they may add a WR that is a bit more off the radar. Would like another TE in FA as well. Weak TE draft. If they can land Tyron Smith to play LT then there will be a very good WR available for them at 34. The depth of this draft at WR is insane.

Pats fans are all over the place on what to do with the #3 pick. My preference at the moment:
1. Maye
2. Trade back
3. Daniels
4. MHJ (not a smart use of that asset)

Husky25

Reaction Score
They weren't picking up year 5. Nor will Jax. He's back home and can reset. Hope his career works out for him, I think he has enough talent to be a bridge starter/strong backup option.

Free agency tomorrow. Not sure what we will see from the Patriots. I'd be happy to land Deandre Swift at RB. Could use a guy with some speed to go with Mondre. So many big name FA RBs, his market may be soft.

I'm not sure they can afford Christian Wilkins at DT but he'd be amazing next to Barmore. I think DT and FS are the biggest needs on the defensive side. Lots of goof FS on the market now too. I doubt they will come away with Ridley, but they may add a WR that is a bit more off the radar. Would like another TE in FA as well. Weak TE draft. If they can land Tyron Smith to play LT then there will be a very good WR available for them at 34. The depth of this draft at WR is insane.

Pats fans are all over the place on what to do with the #3 pick. My preference at the moment:
1. Maye
2. Trade back
3. Daniels
4. MHJ (not a smart use of that asset)

As someone who also follows the Commanders, talking heads and insiders in the DMV might be ebbing back towards Maye at #2. Logan Paulsen, former TE in SEA, ATL, WASH, & SF, and early Daniels advocate, is even leaning that way after the Combine. He mentioned his frame, ability to see over NFL linemen, and therefore make throws over the middle, and the fact that he succeeded without the the best OL and skill players in the SEC*, were described factors.

*One of the reasons why I thought Mac Jones should have been a second rounder was because Alabama was consistently in this position during the Saban years. Mac was in the process of proving people of my stance wrong in December 2021, but has since fallen well off that pace.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Jets, Dolphins and Bills have all lost key players already.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Great signing for the Patriots. Gibson was a WR at Memphis and became an every down back in Washington, before taking a backseat/3D roll to Brian Robinson. He'll probably start off as a 3rd down back in NE as well, but will be able to spell Stevenson and slide seamlessly into a starting roll in case of injury. Washington counters by signing Austin Ekeler.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Great signing for the Patriots. Gibson was a WR at Memphis and became an every down back in Washington, before taking a backseat/3D roll to Brian Robinson. He'll probably start off as a 3rd down back in NE as well, but will be able to spell Stevenson and slide seamlessly into a starting roll in case of injury. Washington counters by signing Austin Ekeler.

Lazar put out some stats showing he was the 5th best RB in pass protection too. Perfect safety valve for a rookie QB.

Reaction Score
Jets, Dolphins and Bills have all lost key players already.
The Jets lost Bryce Huff at LB and signed Chuck Clark and Isiah Oliver in the defensive backfield.

They got a decent backup in Tyrod Taylor and resigned Morestead and Zeuerlein at K and P who were both very good.

Jets are better than they were at the end of last season already.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The Jets lost Bryce Huff at LB and signed Chuck Clark and Isiah Oliver in the defensive backfield.

They got a decent backup in Tyrod Taylor and resigned Morestead and Zeuerlein at K and P who were both very good.

Jets are better than they were at the end of last season already.
I expect that of the Jets. Dolphins and Bills are worse and are going to be worse. Patriots are already better as well, and that is with a lot of draft capital and FA moves yet to come.

Reaction Score
I expect that of the Jets. Dolphins and Bills are worse and are going to be worse. Patriots are already better as well, and that is with a lot of draft capital and FA moves yet to come.
Um, debatable. Hard to say you are better when you are just brining guys back from a bad bad team. Not sure the point in giving a WR who is about turn 30 off an ACL injury 10 mill a year, same for a middle of the road at best TE. But hey, you loved the JuJu signing so these should be right up your alley.

I do like the Brissett signing, and Okorafor is ok, but Gibson is a 1 dimensional back who offers no threat in the running game.

If Uche and Bryant leave there is no way to argue the roster has improved from the 2023 team.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Um, debatable. Hard to say you are better when you are just brining guys back from a bad bad team. Not sure the point in giving a WR who is about turn 30 off an ACL injury 10 mill a year, same for a middle of the road at best TE. But hey, you loved the JuJu signing so these should be right up your alley.

I do like the Brissett signing, and Okorafor is ok, but Gibson is a 1 dimensional back who offers no threat in the running game.

If Uche and Bryant leave there is no way to argue the roster has improved from the 2023 team.
$10m a year? 3-year, $19.5 million contract with some incentives if he performs. Only $8m guaranteed. Bargain deal for a solid player. Henry was as good as any TE on the market once Shultz re-signed. Another bargain deal. Gibson isn't RB2 in the running game, he's filling the old James White role, which was badly needed. Adds more speed than we've had at RB in some time. Better in pass protection which was a problem the last two years.

Uche is a net negative, he can't defend the run or set the edge. Situational pass rusher only. Year 2 White will be a major upgrade. Bryant? You may be the only guy who wants him back.

The team isn't finished. The goal at this stage is to fill holes so the draft can target upgrades. QB at #3, with Brissett as well, is way better than last year. Bourne being the #3 receiver instead of #1 WR is way better than last year, once we draft a guy in round 2/3. A LT who actually tries will be an upgrade over Trent. Gonzalez back. Judon back. White in year 2. Strong in an outside zone blocking system he fits.

Reaction Score
$10m a year? 3-year, $19.5 million contract with some incentives if he performs. Only $8m guaranteed. Bargain deal for a solid player. Henry was as good as any TE on the market once Shultz re-signed. Another bargain deal. Gibson isn't RB2 in the running game, he's filling the old James White role, which was badly needed. Adds more speed than we've had at RB in some time. Better in pass protection which was a problem the last two years.

Uche is a net negative, he can't defend the run or set the edge. Situational pass rusher only. Year 2 White will be a major upgrade. Bryant? You may be the only guy who wants him back.

The team isn't finished. The goal at this stage is to fill holes so the draft can target upgrades. QB at #3, with Brissett as well, is way better than last year. Bourne being the #3 receiver instead of #1 WR is way better than last year, once we draft a guy in round 2/3. A LT who actually tries will be an upgrade over Trent. Gonzalez back. Judon back. White in year 2. Strong in an outside zone blocking system he fits.
I said I knew you would love them, you loved JuJu, you thought he was an upgrade to Meyers. You were the only one on planet earth who thought that. You may be the only one who thinks either Bourne or Henry are a bargain:

Patriots re-sign TE Hunter Henry (3 years, $30 million): D Grade
Any Patriots fan hoping for better personnel moves in the wake of Bill Belichick’s dismissal can’t be feeling good right now. It’s only one signing thus far, but this move has to make everyone bearish for the near future.

Hunter Henry does not deserve $10 million per season. He’s a solid player who was a good end zone threat for Bailey Zappe last year, but he showed regression overall and will be 30 soon. In fact, he’ll be 30 or older for most of the duration of this contract. The Patriots should be rebuilding their roster; not signing aging players to big contracts like this.

TE HUNTER HENRY SIGNS WITH NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

• 2023 PFF Grade: 69.3 (19th/72)
  • 2023 PFF WAR: 0.32 (17th)
  • Fit/need grade: A
  • Value grade: C+
  • Contract: Three years, $27 million ($9 million per year), $16 million total guaranteed
  • PFF projected contract: Two years, $12.25 million ($6.125 million per year), $8.25 million total guaranteed
The Patriots have a ton of cash to burn and need a better situation around their next franchise quarterback, and Henry has been characterized as a leader on this offense. That said, this is a strong deal for a tight end who will turn 30 years old in 2024.

Hunter Henry, TE, Patriots

3 years, $27,000,000, $15,800,000 total guarantees ($15,800,000 full)​

This feels like the Patriots simply decided to do Henry a favor rather because they have a huge amount of cap space and low payroll for the year. I don't really know why you want a 30 year old tight end on a team that should be rebuilding and I certainly do not know why you would be making a two year commitment at just about $16 million guaranteed. This feels like end of career Jimmy Graham contract logic. They did get big per game bonuses in the contract which is a plus for New England but this is a contract they should have passed on in my opinion.

Grade: D

You are right Bourne is a decent #3, too bad he is a #1 right now.

The rest of the AFC East is certainly fine with you letting a decent slot corner who is only 26 or a 25 year old LB a year removed from a double digit sack season walk, and instead investing in a mediocre 30 year old TE and 30 year old WR off an ACL injury.

Hey I laughed at the JuJu signing, the drafting of a kicker, you saying Mac Jones was gonna have a great year so what do I know.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Is third down running back really a position of need?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I said I knew you would love them, you loved JuJu, you thought he was an upgrade to Meyers. You were the only one on planet earth who thought that. You may be the only one who thinks either Bourne or Henry are a bargain:

Patriots re-sign TE Hunter Henry (3 years, $30 million): D Grade
Any Patriots fan hoping for better personnel moves in the wake of Bill Belichick’s dismissal can’t be feeling good right now. It’s only one signing thus far, but this move has to make everyone bearish for the near future.

Hunter Henry does not deserve $10 million per season. He’s a solid player who was a good end zone threat for Bailey Zappe last year, but he showed regression overall and will be 30 soon. In fact, he’ll be 30 or older for most of the duration of this contract. The Patriots should be rebuilding their roster; not signing aging players to big contracts like this.

TE HUNTER HENRY SIGNS WITH NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

• 2023 PFF Grade: 69.3 (19th/72)
  • 2023 PFF WAR: 0.32 (17th)
  • Fit/need grade: A
  • Value grade: C+
  • Contract: Three years, $27 million ($9 million per year), $16 million total guaranteed
  • PFF projected contract: Two years, $12.25 million ($6.125 million per year), $8.25 million total guaranteed
The Patriots have a ton of cash to burn and need a better situation around their next franchise quarterback, and Henry has been characterized as a leader on this offense. That said, this is a strong deal for a tight end who will turn 30 years old in 2024.

Hunter Henry, TE, Patriots

3 years, $27,000,000, $15,800,000 total guarantees ($15,800,000 full)​

This feels like the Patriots simply decided to do Henry a favor rather because they have a huge amount of cap space and low payroll for the year. I don't really know why you want a 30 year old tight end on a team that should be rebuilding and I certainly do not know why you would be making a two year commitment at just about $16 million guaranteed. This feels like end of career Jimmy Graham contract logic. They did get big per game bonuses in the contract which is a plus for New England but this is a contract they should have passed on in my opinion.

Grade: D

You are right Bourne is a decent #3, too bad he is a #1 right now.

The rest of the AFC East is certainly fine with you letting a decent slot corner who is only 26 or a 25 year old LB a year removed from a double digit sack season walk, and instead investing in a mediocre 30 year old TE and 30 year old WR off an ACL injury.

Hey I laughed at the JuJu signing, the drafting of a kicker, you saying Mac Jones was gonna have a great year so what do I know.
The grades are clueless. It's a 2 year deal with an option.

Look at these grades from the Athletic! Cousins for $110m is an A? That's the worst signing since Russ Wilson's extension by Denver. I'll freely admit Juju was clearly not back from his knee and the staff screwed up by not rejecting his medical. I was hoping he'd be what he was. Clearly wrong.

The simple truth is there were zero very good TEs out there. Shultz resigned before FA so Henry was PFFs top TE. Noah Fant is next and he signed for a higher AAV.

According to this, the Patriots signed the #1 TE, #1 interior OL, #2 QB. I'm glad they got Gibson, but I would have liked DeAndre Swift. I expect them to go for somebody like Bucky Irving in the draft.

Reaction Score
The grades are clueless. It's a 2 year deal with an option.

Look at these grades from the Athletic! Cousins for $110m is an A? That's the worst signing since Russ Wilson's extension by Denver. I'll freely admit Juju was clearly not back from his knee and the staff screwed up by not rejecting his medical. I was hoping he'd be what he was. Clearly wrong.

The simple truth is there were zero very good TEs out there. Shultz resigned before FA so Henry was PFFs top TE. Noah Fant is next and he signed for a higher AAV.

According to this, the Patriots signed the #1 TE, #1 interior OL, #2 QB. I'm glad they got Gibson, but I would have liked DeAndre Swift. I expect them to go for somebody like Bucky Irving in the draft.
Haha, yes, they are clueless because you said so. I sent you the JuJu grades last year and you said the same thing. Oh, and you cite PFF to support the value of the signing, but I provided you the grade they gave it for its value, a C+.

I like how everyone is always wrong about the Pats except you, but like with the Mayo hiring or every other prediction last year, they get it right and you don't.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Haha, yes, they are clueless because you said so. I sent you the JuJu grades last year and you said the same thing. Oh, and you cite PFF to support the value of the signing, but I provided you the grade they gave it for its value, a C+.

I like how everyone is always wrong about the Pats except you, but like with the Mayo hiring or every other prediction last year, they get it right and you don't.
My point about clueless is precisely because PFF gave them a C+ for signing PFF's top TE on a cheaper deal than the next best TE. Their own grade is self-contradictory in that case. They gave the fit/need grade an A.

I choose to be optimistic, because the alternative is to be another one of the crappy, whiny Patriots fans like Tony Mazz and the idiots that populate talk radio. Always unhappy about everything. So I hoped Mac would rebound with a new OC. He didn't. I hoped Juju would be healthy and play well, he wasn't and didn't. I now hope that Mayo will do a good job, that AVP will create a solid offense and that Wolf will sign and draft good players.

Here are their other grades. Includes an A- for Bourne, which you complained about. A+ for fit/need. Henry got an A for fit/need as well. Okorafor an A+/A. Brissett A/A-. They seem to like all these deals. The worst fit/need grade is A-. I don't know where your D graphic came from but it doesn't match the below.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Uche is back on a very cheap deal.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Solid addition. Not a game breaker or star, but a quality player.

Reaction Score
2024 NFL Win Totals were released

• Buffalo Bills: 10.5 (-145/+120)
• Miami Dolphins: 10.5 (+125/-145)
• NY Jets: 9.5 (+125/-150)
• New England Patriots: 4.5 (-115/-105)

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
2024 NFL Win Totals were released

• Buffalo Bills: 10.5 (-145/+120)
• Miami Dolphins: 10.5 (+125/-145)
• NY Jets: 9.5 (+125/-150)
• New England Patriots: 4.5 (-115/-105)
That’s an easy bet. I’d bet Miami under 10.5 too.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I kept saying Buffalo and Miami were going to get weaker, not stronger.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom