The next step for the program | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The next step for the program

What should we do?

• Total voters
Reaction Score
You can't force people to be interested in parting with their money on a terrible product. People support the basketball side because it's a basketball school and arguably the premier program in the sport, it's really hard to make people interested in a terrible program.
I think last year and what happened in the stadium on this years’s opener show what this program can be.

By the way, Hurley doesn’t want to play 2-4 games against the MAC or MWC. That would take away great games like Maryland Baltimore county and Stonehill.

Reaction Score
I'm going to write something that most won't like, but some may agree with. I fully believe that talent is the overarching issue within the program, and it will remain that way for the foreseeable future. You can talk play calling, tackling technique or effort until you are blue in the face. Those things matter, but they matter maybe to the extent of one less UT Score. The difference in speed and athleticism of UT compared to UConn was jarring. There is likely a major talent/numbers disparity between coaching staffs as well, but let's be honest, if the coaching staffs switched sidelines prior to the game the results on Saturday would have been much the same.

The days of Randy identifying under the radar talent and developing it into NFL Players is over. With Hudl, Maxpreps, and Youtube, if you can play everybody and their brother will know it. More damaging IMO is the leveling of the playing field of UConn dropping to G5 and other schools improving their credibility at that level. No argument that UConn is a better school than 95% of the G5, but for a young football player, who probably weighs the game with more importance than the school at 17 years old, places like Coastal Carolina, Liberty, or James Madison may seem like better options closer to home.

What can be done? Since nobody can wave a wand and raise millions of dollars to buy impact players, UConn should strongly consider targeting a coach and staff that plays system football. Before people cry about the Triple Option, there are many variations to what system football can be. Take Mike Leach at WSU and MSU for example. The guy recruited mostly 3-star talent that fit exactly what he was looking for in his system. He then molded those guys into a team that could make bowl games and pull upsets in the Pac 12 and SEC. Watching UConn play UT, you get a feel for how far away athletically that they are from a top 15-20 FBS program. The talent is not going to get substantially better under the current circumstances. Anyone believing that it will is deluding themselves. Scheme is the only thing that can make UConn a program that wins more than it loses, and one that at least shows up in a game like yesterday @ UT.
I agree with the first two paragraphs. The third I know nothing about, so I won’t comment. But para. 1 is so true. Para. 2 is also true, except, I don’t credit Randy with finding “under the radar” talent like some here do. We were in a BCS conference, rightly or wrongly, and because of that we had a recruiting edge over schools like Liberty, James Madison, and others. Now we don’t have that.

Reaction Score
You can't force people to be interested in parting with their money on a terrible product. People support the basketball side because it's a basketball school and arguably the premier program in the sport, it's really hard to make people interested in a terrible program.
I agree with you as long as you think the ask is actually being made to all football supporters. Historically, there has been little asked outside of buying tickets and donating to improve seat location. The rest of the college sports world is for right or wrong squeezing every nickel out of its supporters. UConn admin is now doing that with basketball because it can and has to. It does not rally all supporters of other sports - that is a historical weakness of the athletic department. People will support programs if asked, not only after national championships are won. You have to max that support and make sure it is appreciated and nurtured - it is not only about the ask when times are good.

Reaction Score
Jerry Palm's latest bowl projections have currently 9-0 JMU playing currently 9-0 Liberty on December 16 in the New Orleans Bowl...Sun Belt vs CUSA.

I will be disappointed if they can't line up against a one or two loss P5 team.

That seems like a relegation...Two undefeated G5 conference champs and they play each other instead of earning a P5 scalp.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Jerry Palm's latest bowl projections have currently 9-0 JMU playing currently 9-0 Liberty on December 16 in the New Orleans Bowl...Sun Belt vs CUSA.

That seems like a relegation...Two undefeated G5 conference champs and they play each other instead of earning a P5 scalp.
James Madison is ineligible for a bowl game due to their transition to FBS.

Reaction Score

James Madison is ineligible for a bowl game due to their transition to FBS.

The only way JMU is eligible is if there are not enough six-win teams to fill out the bowl schedule, then James Madison could be among the teams that help fill out vacancies along with teams that finished 5-7.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The only way JMU is eligible is if there are not enough six-win teams to fill out the bowl schedule, then James Madison could be among the teams that help fill out vacancies along with teams that finished 5-7.
That depends if the NCAA gives them a waiver.

Reaction Score

Right now...51 teams have bowl eligibility....as the season progresses, more will meet the criteria for the 82 slots.

There are currently 51 teams that are bowl eligible. That means, in order to fill all of the games, we need 31 more teams to get their sixth win over the last three weeks of the season. That can still happen, though I have 10 teams in this week's bowl projections taking spots due to a lack of eligible teams. History tells us that list will shrink considerably.

Reaction Score
Watching Chiefs Dolphins now. Who do I hear on the broadcast? Dan O. I have no idea how long Jim Mora will do this for us. But if we wanted to create buzz and join the modern era offensively Dan Orlovsky would be the guy for Admin to go after. JM was a huge upgrade for recruiting over Edsall but Dan O is a now guy on TV and young players would know him. For next season JM keeping our best returning talent in the program is his biggest job in regards to having a winning season next year. Hire a DC. Maybe replace Charlton.
Hard no for Dan O as head coach - he has zero experience as any type of coach let alone a head coach.

This team needs a head coach who can build a program from the ashes. Jim Mora isn’t it, Dan O definitely isn’t it at this stage of his (non existent) coaching career.

We also don’t have an Athletic Director , or University Administration who knows how to, or cares about, building a football program.

Reaction Score
This is not the time to panic and join a crummy FB conference. It’s time to step up in the portal and get talent for next year.

I would think if $1 to 1.5 mio was raised for next year we would get some serious grad talent (and retain our key players). That would be a wonderful investment for the future of our program.

The way college football is changing a 9-3 or 8-4 season next year, coupled with how our men’s and women’s bb teams will fare should frame UConn as a top candidate for a P4 invite (or another onion kick).

Duke brought in 5 fb grad portal players all of which are starting (I believe).

Reaction Score
"Duke brought in 5 fb grad portal players all of which are starting (I believe)."

There is a big gap between Duke's 2024 HS recruits and UConn's..Duke is 2024 class Rivals #35...#53 in 2023...

But..in Transfer Rankings, UConn is ranked ahead of Duke for 2023 class.

Reaction Score
"Duke brought in 5 fb grad portal players all of which are starting (I believe)."

There is a big gap between Duke's 2024 HS recruits and UConn's..Duke is 2024 class Rivals #35...#53 in 2023...

But..in Transfer Rankings, UConn is ranked ahead of Duke for 2023 class.
Well Duke got some grad diamonds in the rough seeing as most are starting. UConn got cats in a brown bag.

Getting 5 grad transfers that start and produce is huge for any program.

BTW - I hate everything Duke, but their recent fb success is interesting.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Watching Chiefs Dolphins now. Who do I hear on the broadcast? Dan O. I have no idea how long Jim Mora will do this for us. But if we wanted to create buzz and join the modern era offensively Dan Orlovsky would be the guy for Admin to go after. JM was a huge upgrade for recruiting over Edsall but Dan O is a now guy on TV and young players would know him. For next season JM keeping our best returning talent in the program is his biggest job in regards to having a winning season next year. Hire a DC. Maybe replace Charlton.
Our biggest recruiting targets for this offseason need to be Cam Edwards, Justin Joly and Taquon Roberson

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Jim Mora's contract runs through the 2026 season, and given the current financial position of athletics, it's difficult for me to imagine buying him out before that. So, it is highly likely we have him as HC for at least the next 3 years. What I would like to know (and we likely won't know until this season is over) is what level of commitment the university has for the football program going forward, and what are the goals and expectations. I think the air needs to be cleared on this stuff.

It seems pretty clear to me that Mora wants more tools and resources to get the job done.

Reaction Score
Jim Mora's contract runs through the 2026 season, and given the current financial position of athletics, it's difficult for me to imagine buying him out before that. So, it is highly likely we have him as HC for at least the next 3 years. What I would like to know (and we likely won't know until this season is over) is what level of commitment the university has for the football program going forward, and what are the goals and expectations. I think the air needs to be cleared on this stuff.

It seems pretty clear to me that Mora wants more tools and resources to get the job done.
UConn will do the minimal necessary to pretend they care when they don’t. The B12 fumble (or failure to get it done as a priority commitment) was perfect ammunition for the no-football crowd in the admin.

Reaction Score
UConn will do the minimal necessary to pretend they care when they don’t. The B12 fumble (or failure to get it done as a priority commitment) was perfect ammunition for the no-football crowd in the admin.
We didn't fumble the B12, the P12 fumbled the tv deal which led to the 4 corner schools to leave and screw us over. Has nothing to do with the administration.

Reaction Score

Mora has more resources than 90% of the G5 schools yet has produced results worse than 99% of them. Resources were not an issue last year when we went 6-6.

Reaction Score
We didn't fumble the B12, the P12 fumbled the tv deal which led to the 4 corner schools to leave and screw us over. Has nothing to do with the administration.
Baloney. We were holding out for full share and got stuffed. You have non-business bureaucrats getting continually rolled by more sophisticated players. How many times does it have to occur before you realize we have lightweights at the helm.

Reaction Score
I agree with the first two paragraphs. The third I know nothing about, so I won’t comment. But para. 1 is so true. Para. 2 is also true, except, I don’t credit Randy with finding “under the radar” talent like some here do. We were in a BCS conference, rightly or wrongly, and because of that we had a recruiting edge over schools like Liberty, James Madison, and others. Now we don’t have that.
During Randy 1.0 he was getting in on legit FBS Talent that potentially might have landed at bigger name programs had there been better exposure at the time. As a result, UConn’s talent level was actually better on the field than it was in the rankings.

The second time around he could still identify kids, but so could everybody else with their armies of analysts and multiple recruiting services. Due to the prolonged period of losing and a lack of juice around the program, kids with multiple G5/P5 offers weren’t coming. As a result, the classes that were ranked 110+ played like it on the field.

JMO but I’m not sure that Mora has the will or resources to build a winning program in the current era. Recruiting is an uphill slog with no conference, bowl ties, or excitement to sell. The portal also is difficult due to $ limitations and options of prospective transfers. This is why I propose a younger staff with a defined offensive system and a plan to recruit to it out of HS and the portal.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
During Randy 1.0 he was getting in on legit FBS Talent that potentially might have landed at bigger name programs had there been better exposure at the time. As a result, UConn’s talent level was actually better on the field than it was in the rankings.

The second time around he could still identify kids, but so could everybody else with their armies of analysts and multiple recruiting services. Due to the prolonged period of losing and a lack of juice around the program, kids with multiple G5/P5 offers weren’t coming. As a result, the classes that were ranked 110+ played like it on the field.

JMO but I’m not sure that Mora has the will or resources to build a winning program in the current era. Recruiting is an uphill slog with no conference, bowl ties, or excitement to sell. The portal also is difficult due to $ limitations and options of prospective transfers. This is why I propose a younger staff with a defined offensive system and a plan to recruit to it out of HS and the portal.
Air Coryell……………. come to Storrs.
We might lose, but at least we’ll be fun to watch.

SwingDog

Reaction Score
Mora has more resources than 90% of the G5 schools yet has produced results worse than 99% of them. Resources were not an issue last year when we went 6-6.
If that is the case, I don't know. You're probably right. I do know UConn has state of the art training and practice facilities but it seems like Mora has been dropping not so subtle hints about the need for more money to recruit better players. But as others have said he doesn't seem too savvy in regard to NIL and playing the portal.

Reaction Score
If that is the case, I don't know. You're probably right. I do know UConn has state of the art training and practice facilities but it seems like Mora has been dropping not so subtle hints about the need for more money to recruit better players. But as others have said he doesn't seem too savvy in regard to NIL and playing the portal.
Mora shouldn’t need to be involved in NIL details, or specific guys in the portal. He needs a staff to do that. He needs to be coaching his coaches.

Reaction Score
But as others have said he doesn't seem too savvy in regard to NIL and playing the portal.
How so specifically?

I have a hard time believing that a coach that has dealt w/ NFL free-agency and recruiting @ UCLA can’t navigate the transfer portal as it currently exists (that doesn’t mean that he will always be successful in getting his desired targets).

SwingDog

Reaction Score
How so specifically?

I have a hard time believing that a coach that has dealt w/ NFL free-agency and recruiting @ UCLA can’t navigate the transfer portal as it currently exists (that doesn’t mean that he will always be successful in getting his desired targets).
I really don't know, and maybe I'm wrong- and hopefully I am. That's just the sense I get from some of the comments I've read. I just try to keep things in perspective. Last year was a significant step of progress, this year is mostly a couple of steps back, and hopefully yesterday will be as good or better than last.

SwingDog

Reaction Score
How so specifically?

We also have to consider a lot has changed on the college football landscape since 2017 when Mora left UCLA....hopefully he's up to speed on everything.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom