The Next Shocks | The Boneyard

The Next Shocks

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Everyone is focused on TV contracts and the consolidation of the P2 over time. I expect one or more of these things to happen in the next 5 years:

1) Gambling scandal - This is almost certainly going to happen. It is too easy to get to the players and gamblers are all over sports for it not to happen, and when it happens, it will be in big games because those games have enough action to hide suspicious betting. There were already some odd looking NCAA Tournament games, and football is easier to fix than basketball because there are less scoring events. A safety "missing" one assignment late in the 4th quarter that results in a touchdown would make a big difference in a 24-20 game where one team is a 6 point favorite. That a scandal will occur is easy to predict. College sports' reaction is much more difficult.

2) The final death throes of the bundled cable model - Iger, who is one of the Top 10 CEOS of the 21st century so far, has gotten DIS way up since the beginning of the year, in part because the market thinks ESPN's DTC Streaming model is going to be a hit. It might be, or it might not, but no matter how successful it is, it will be a very different product than ESPN's linear business. A DTC Streaming business needs a broad spectrum of content. Alabama/LSU will still get good numbers, but nothing like it used to without the best time slots on cable, and one game does not drive the number of subscriptions that ESPN needs to get to make a DTC model work. We already have a lot of data on this through the existing content streamers, where content has fragmented to viewer tastes. This changes what streamers are willing to pay for, and how much they will pay for it.

2.A) I don't see how ESPN does not migrate to a performance-based payment model eventually, where schools are paid based on subscriptions they bring, not based on their conference affiliation. The Apple offer to the Pac 12 is what TV deals are going to look like in the future. This will have an impact on conference composition.

2.B) Games are the Product, not the Teams - I think there will be a major re-evaluation of the Frankenconferences that have been formed with unrelated, far flung teams that casual fans do not care about. I would not be surprised if the conferences re-evaluated scheduling to focus on getting games fans want rather than random games in the name of "competition". 90% of the teams in the major conferences are not playing for a national championship, so getting games fans of those teams want is a priority to keep them engaged.

3) Litigation - this is a catch all, but historically litigation has driven most major changes in college athletics, most recently the Alston case. The problem for college sports is that the plaintiff almost always wins. I can not think of the last serious anti-trust lawsuit against college sports that was not successful. The FSU/Clemson cases are the next canaries in the coal mine, but there will be more. Until now, schools were reluctant to sue each other. The Big East lawsuit from 2002 did garner negative publicity for the plaintiffs, even if it was successful in keeping the Big East's BCS bid for 10 more years. Now, schools are hurling lawsuits at each other as if the publicity doesn't matter, because it doesn't.

This increased willingness to sue by schools is bad news for the P2 and good news for everyone else. I think we are within 5 years of the first anti-trust lawsuit where one or more G5 or left-behind P5 schools sue the P-Whatever for anti-trust violations, and the plaintiffs are almost certainly going to win. The only way I see this not happening is the P2 paying more money to and sharing more access with the other D1 schools.

3.A) Not so much litigation, as college sports needs some kind of legal framework to operate, because right now it has none, and is a lawsuit away from players being able to switch teams at halftime. College sports is pleading for Congress to step in, and I don't see another way to fix this problem. This issue is too big and amorphous to predict exactly how it will work, so let's just assume it will work itself out somehow.

4) The P2 Breaks Away - Despite the fact that it will almost certainly lose an anti-trust case if it does this, it is possible that the P2 still breaks away because large incumbents blowing up a good thing by making reckless cash grabs has happened in business since the Phoenicians.

5) FSU/Clemson - This could break up the ACC, and whatever happens is certain to generate more litigation, including (ironically) a tortious interference lawsuit by the ACC against whatever league FSU and Clemson try to join. The weird thing about this lawsuit is that it feels like the parties are fighting over FSU's and Clemson's desire for a bigger share of the linear cable revenue stream that is ending soon anyway. I also feel like the existing ACC contract could look pretty good in 5 years. This is one of the weirder litigations I have ever paid attention to.

6) Demographic Cliff and College Attendance - Higher education is in the first inning of a seismic change that could wipe out 20-30% or more of universities in the next decade or two. This is a huge issue and is happening a lot faster than most educational experts expected. This issue is so massive and complex that it is hard to address on a sports message board, and some posters make it political and I don't want to get this thread locked. Let's just put a pin in this and say it is a massive issue.

6.A) Prestige Universities - One area that is worth addressing is that there are several schools who do not get as much out of affiliating with what is becoming a minor league as other schools do. While I am sure they like the checks, Northwestern and Vanderbilt derive very little value in terms of student interest from their athletic programs getting stomped by pro teams. They did not try to compete in the pre-NIL/Transfer Portal world, and they certainly are not going to bid up to bring in the caliber of free agents necessary to win against Michigan or Alabama. These schools can afford to compete, they just don't want to because that is not how they generate their real money, which is alumni donations.

I was surprised that Cal and Stanford did not take the lead on this, but we may need one or two of the other shocks to the system to happen first before the prestige universities break off to form their own league. I think Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Duke, Cal, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, Stanford, Miami, Rice, Tulane, Boston College and maybe some wildcard like the University of Chicago could form a league of likeminded schools. It would still be possible to compete nationally in basketball out of a league like that, but those teams wouldn't have to take the poundings in football, and their alumni would LOVE it. Notre Dame would commit felonies to get its hoop programs and Olympic sports into that league. I think this league would probably turn away 20+ applicants. I am a little surprised it has not happened yet.

This is related to #6 above in that these schools spend millions on branding themselves as exclusive, premier educational institutions, and playing Mississippi State or even Florida State on Saturdays does not help with that branding at all.

Reaction Score
Everyone is focused on TV contracts and the consolidation of the P2 over time. I expect one or more of these things to happen in the next 5 years:

1) Gambling scandal - This is almost certainly going to happen. It is too easy to get to the players and gamblers are all over sports for it not to happen, and when it happens, it will be in big games because those games have enough action to hide suspicious betting. There were already some odd looking NCAA Tournament games, and football is easier to fix than basketball because there are less scoring events. A safety "missing" one assignment late in the 4th quarter that results in a touchdown would make a big difference in a 24-20 game where one team is a 6 point favorite. That a scandal will occur is easy to predict. College sports' reaction is much more difficult.

2) The final death throes of the bundled cable model - Iger, who is one of the Top 10 CEOS of the 21st century so far, has gotten DIS way up since the beginning of the year, in part because the market thinks ESPN's DTC Streaming model is going to be a hit. It might be, or it might not, but no matter how successful it is, it will be a very different product than ESPN's linear business. A DTC Streaming business needs a broad spectrum of content. Alabama/LSU will still get good numbers, but nothing like it used to without the best time slots on cable, and one game does not drive the number of subscriptions that ESPN needs to get to make a DTC model work. We already have a lot of data on this through the existing content streamers, where content has fragmented to viewer tastes. This changes what streamers are willing to pay for, and how much they will pay for it.

2.A) I don't see how ESPN does not migrate to a performance-based payment model eventually, where schools are paid based on subscriptions they bring, not based on their conference affiliation. The Apple offer to the Pac 12 is what TV deals are going to look like in the future. This will have an impact on conference composition.

2.B) Games are the Product, not the Teams - I think there will be a major re-evaluation of the Frankenconferences that have been formed with unrelated, far flung teams that casual fans do not care about. I would not be surprised if the conferences re-evaluated scheduling to focus on getting games fans want rather than random games in the name of "competition". 90% of the teams in the major conferences are not playing for a national championship, so getting games fans of those teams want is a priority to keep them engaged.

3) Litigation - this is a catch all, but historically litigation has driven most major changes in college athletics, most recently the Alston case. The problem for college sports is that the plaintiff almost always wins. I can not think of the last serious anti-trust lawsuit against college sports that was not successful. The FSU/Clemson cases are the next canaries in the coal mine, but there will be more. Until now, schools were reluctant to sue each other. The Big East lawsuit from 2002 did garner negative publicity for the plaintiffs, even if it was successful in keeping the Big East's BCS bid for 10 more years. Now, schools are hurling lawsuits at each other as if the publicity doesn't matter, because it doesn't.

This increased willingness to sue by schools is bad news for the P2 and good news for everyone else. I think we are within 5 years of the first anti-trust lawsuit where one or more G5 or left-behind P5 schools sue the P-Whatever for anti-trust violations, and the plaintiffs are almost certainly going to win. The only way I see this not happening is the P2 paying more money to and sharing more access with the other D1 schools.

3.A) Not so much litigation, as college sports needs some kind of legal framework to operate, because right now it has none, and is a lawsuit away from players being able to switch teams at halftime. College sports is pleading for Congress to step in, and I don't see another way to fix this problem. This issue is too big and amorphous to predict exactly how it will work, so let's just assume it will work itself out somehow.

4) The P2 Breaks Away - Despite the fact that it will almost certainly lose an anti-trust case if it does this, it is possible that the P2 still breaks away because large incumbents blowing up a good thing by making reckless cash grabs has happened in business since the Phoenicians.

5) FSU/Clemson - This could break up the ACC, and whatever happens is certain to generate more litigation, including (ironically) a tortious interference lawsuit by the ACC against whatever league FSU and Clemson try to join. The weird thing about this lawsuit is that it feels like the parties are fighting over FSU's and Clemson's desire for a bigger share of the linear cable revenue stream that is ending soon anyway. I also feel like the existing ACC contract could look pretty good in 5 years. This is one of the weirder litigations I have ever paid attention to.

6) Demographic Cliff and College Attendance - Higher education is in the first inning of a seismic change that could wipe out 20-30% or more of universities in the next decade or two. This is a huge issue and is happening a lot faster than most educational experts expected. This issue is so massive and complex that it is hard to address on a sports message board, and some posters make it political and I don't want to get this thread locked. Let's just put a pin in this and say it is a massive issue.

6.A) Prestige Universities - One area that is worth addressing is that there are several schools who do not get as much out of affiliating with what is becoming a minor league as other schools do. While I am sure they like the checks, Northwestern and Vanderbilt derive very little value in terms of student interest from their athletic programs getting stomped by pro teams. They did not try to compete in the pre-NIL/Transfer Portal world, and they certainly are not going to bid up to bring in the caliber of free agents necessary to win against Michigan or Alabama. These schools can afford to compete, they just don't want to because that is not how they generate their real money, which is alumni donations.

I was surprised that Cal and Stanford did not take the lead on this, but we may need one or two of the other shocks to the system to happen first before the prestige universities break off to form their own league. I think Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Duke, Cal, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, Stanford, Miami, Rice, Tulane, Boston College and maybe some wildcard like the University of Chicago could form a league of likeminded schools. It would still be possible to compete nationally in basketball out of a league like that, but those teams wouldn't have to take the poundings in football, and their alumni would LOVE it. Notre Dame would commit felonies to get its hoop programs and Olympic sports into that league. I think this league would probably turn away 20+ applicants. I am a little surprised it has not happened yet.

This is related to #6 above in that these schools spend millions on branding themselves as exclusive, premier educational institutions, and playing Mississippi State or even Florida State on Saturdays does not help with that branding at all.
You bring up many valid points. It just shows nothing about the current structure indicates stability. Latency will result in missing the boat.

Your point 1) is a good get. How do you distinguish NIL from a bribe?

Reaction Score
Nice job, I'd submit that to the UMASS Sport Management program as your PhD proposal!! A little depressing, especially as we bask in the glow of success and hope. The UMASS profs were predicting the big boys(P2) would take their ball and go home back in 80 when I got my Masters. Their timeline was way off, they thought it would happen around the year 2000. Tough to stay ahead of this curve. Hang tough Huskies.

Reaction Score
I agree with a fair amount of this. I am actually shocked there hasn’t been a major gambling scandal yet! Though I disagree that football is easier than basketball. A safety can “slip” but qb still needs to be accurate the receiver still needs to make the catch. In basketball, even great shooters have gone cold, and dumb fouls have been committed at critical moments since the game was invented. Much harder to track.

The demographic cliff is really hitting “2nd tier” private schools. Not the elite ones or major public schools. I think it is more going to impact D2 and D3 schools much more than UConn or Stanford, or Trinity and Wesleyan for that matter.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see a tortious interference suit against the SEC (or the Big, but most likely SEC) by the ACC. The other thing I wouldn’t be shocked to see is somebody (my bet is Clemson) over play their hand and not get picked up right away by the SEC.

Finally, I do think leagues need to exist and you need weak teams. If everybody goes .500, it doesn’t work for anybody. The Michigans and Alabamas are only the Michigans and Alabamas if they have Mississippi States and Indianas to insure they don’t lose often.

Reaction Score
Nebraska AD foresees performance-based revenue distribution model

LINCOLN, Neb. -- New Nebraska athletic director Troy Dannen expects revenue distribution in college sports to become more performance-based over time, resulting in an "eat what you kill" model.

Dannen, hired at Nebraska last month after less than six months with Washington, told ESPN that the future model for the College Football Playoff mirrors what will happen around the greater college athletics landscape.

"There's going to be some meritocracy versus more of a social approach to revenue distribution," Dannen said. "You'll eventually see that within leagues. You'll eventually see that across sports, maybe other than football. An eat what you kill, in some respects, that mentality. It's going to be much more performance-based and outcomes, when it comes to generating the revenue necessary to compete.

"The CFP decisions that have been made so far show that."

The Big Ten Conference has operated with an equal revenue distribution model, as higher-profile athletic programs like Ohio State and Michigan share with smaller and less-decorated schools. Dannen noted that other leagues also have prided themselves on equal revenue sharing, but that the CFP model is "a tipping point, maybe, for where the future lies."

"A lot of things that we've historically prided ourselves on are no longer relevant in the new day and age," he added. "For those who refuse to let go of the embrace of the past, the future is running by us."

Reaction Score
Nebraska AD foresees performance-based revenue distribution model

LINCOLN, Neb. -- New Nebraska athletic director Troy Dannen expects revenue distribution in college sports to become more performance-based over time, resulting in an "eat what you kill" model.

Dannen, hired at Nebraska last month after less than six months with Washington, told ESPN that the future model for the College Football Playoff mirrors what will happen around the greater college athletics landscape.

"There's going to be some meritocracy versus more of a social approach to revenue distribution," Dannen said. "You'll eventually see that within leagues. You'll eventually see that across sports, maybe other than football. An eat what you kill, in some respects, that mentality. It's going to be much more performance-based and outcomes, when it comes to generating the revenue necessary to compete.

"The CFP decisions that have been made so far show that."

The Big Ten Conference has operated with an equal revenue distribution model, as higher-profile athletic programs like Ohio State and Michigan share with smaller and less-decorated schools. Dannen noted that other leagues also have prided themselves on equal revenue sharing, but that the CFP model is "a tipping point, maybe, for where the future lies."

"A lot of things that we've historically prided ourselves on are no longer relevant in the new day and age," he added. "For those who refuse to let go of the embrace of the past, the future is running by us."

2 thoughts. 1. I imagine that went over well in academic circles. 2. Nebraska is toast under this model. And I’ll add a 3rd. This guy is a putz.

Reaction Score

101% nailed it on #1. It's coming like a freight train, however you're way off-base about which sport it'll be in. Historically, point-shaving scandals happen in college basketball.

Reaction Score
How about we bet. Basketball or football?
that's silly, I'm talking about historically. Have there been point shaving scandals in college football? Maybe I missed it, find some.

Reaction Score
that's silly, I'm talking about historically. Have there been point shaving scandals in college football? Maybe I missed it, find some.
It is a joke. Relax

Reaction Score
2 thoughts. 1. I imagine that went over well in academic circles. 2. Nebraska is toast under this model. And I’ll add a 3rd. This guy is a putz.
Nebraska is the only B1G10 University not currently in AAU

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I honestly believe any gambling scandal will blow over quickly. Nobody really cares. There will be plenty of hand-wringing and bloviating initially but it will dissipate pretty quickly.

Reaction Score
101% nailed it on #1. It's coming like a freight train, however you're way off-base about which sport it'll be in. Historically, point-shaving scandals happen in college basketball.
the new laws of enabled a lot of degenerates and some of those degens will get a pile of money and go more pro... pressure will be higher than ever.

----

nelson actually puts together a solid post for once but really frays out at the end. I think the most obvious, as said, is looking at games and not teams and the schools are going to want more of a cut of individual games for themselves. When you have an 18 team league that isn't 18 equal partners and never will be.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I honestly believe any gambling scandal will blow over quickly. Nobody really cares. There will be plenty of hand-wringing and bloviating initially but it will dissipate pretty quickly.

It would be devastating to any sport if fans start to think the outcome is predetermined. Who wants to burn 8 hours of a Saturday watching two games that are more performance art than football?

Reaction Score
Nebraska is the only B1G10 University not currently in AAU
Yeah and great players generally choose their schools based on AAU membership:p

Nebraska’s problems go way beyond no longer being AAU.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The demographic cliff is really hitting “2nd tier” private schools. Not the elite ones or major public schools. I think it is more going to impact D2 and D3 schools much more than UConn or Stanford, or Trinity and Wesleyan for that matter.

Higher education is beginning to see signs of the impact of the demographic cliff beyond just the small rural colleges. Auburn and WVU have already gotten themselves into trouble, and they won’t be the last big schools to do so.

Reaction Score
the new laws of enabled a lot of degenerates and some of those degens will get a pile of money and go more pro... pressure will be higher than ever.

----

nelson actually puts together a solid post for once but really frays out at the end. I think the most obvious, as said, is looking at games and not teams and the schools are going to want more of a cut of individual games for themselves. When you have an 18 team league that isn't 18 equal partners and never will be.
This is going to be a big problem with these super conferences going forward. The purpose of a league is to have competition. If the higher draw teams command more money then they would have implement spending/salary caps to maintain that competition level.
How many people go to a Globetrotter game to cheer on the Washington Generals? And how many institutions and fanbases would tolerate being patsies for the conference elites?
It’s like building a house of cards.
Who is BC’s biggest rival in football? They don’t have one. If they had us in the same league as them that could have built into the biggest rivalry in New England.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Who is BC’s biggest rival in football? They don’t have one. If they had us in the same league as them that could have built into the biggest rivalry in New England.

Yeah, time and place. BC in 2004 thought they were riding higher and higher as the rightful kings of Boston. I knew even then, UConn and BC in football would help each other and help out New England football in general... but BC thought they were peerless and UConn was a Z-class upstart sniffing at their throne. Reality is both hate each other, and in attitude I always felt the two were a lot more similar than either would admit.

Reaction Score
It would be devastating to any sport if fans start to think the outcome is predetermined. Who wants to burn 8 hours of a Saturday watching two games that are more performance art than football?
The Ohtani story was sweeped away after a week. He didn't even answer any questions.

Sure now it looks like it was just his interpreter but you had the face of major league baseball tangentially related to a huge gambling scandal and no one covered it after a couple days.

Reaction Score
Higher education is beginning to see signs of the impact of the demographic cliff beyond just the small rural colleges. Auburn and WVU have already gotten themselves into trouble, and they won’t be the last big schools to do so.

Expensive private schools that offer educations no better than one could get at a state school are the most vulnerable.

Looking at you, Syracuse. I bet we will live to see your dome turned into some kind of giant food court/casino/low-end retail complex with great air conditioning.

Reaction Score
I agree with many of Nelson's points, but I will add some color.

1) There will be some gambling issues with the first ones coming from athletes betting on games, maybe their own games or maybe not. Based on history as someone stated in the thread, if a kid tries to throw a game, I would think it will be in basketball.

2) I have been saying this for a while. Going forward, brands matter most and which brands can drive eyeballs.

5) I think the FSU/Clemson moves will be decided by ESPN. They are about to potentially commit a ton of money to the NBA and may decide not to extend the ACC media contract given what is happening to the captive cable subscriber numbers. And, in a media world where pay for viewership matters, FSU/Clemson want to be playing an SEC schedule vs an ACC schedule to drive viewers. And, attendance at games (and ticket prices) would be better with an SEC schedule.

6) Demographics. With a couple of exceptions, most of the P4 do not have problems attracting students due to the social aspects of high level football and basketball. You brought up FSU as a non-prestigious school, yet, their acceptance rate last year was <25%. All 5 of the Florida P4 schools have acceptance rates below 45%.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Ohtani story was sweeped away after a week. He didn't even answer any questions.

Sure now it looks like it was just his interpreter but you had the face of major league baseball tangentially related to a huge gambling scandal and no one covered it after a couple days.

You really think people won't care if games are fixed? Why not just become professional wrestling?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Expensive private schools that offer educations no better than one could get at a state school are the most vulnerable.

Looking at you, Syracuse. I bet we will live to see your dome turned into some kind of giant food court/casino/low-end retail complex with great air conditioning.

I tend to agree with this, but I also think the state schools are carrying massive overhead that could be eliminated through consolidation.

The tsunami approaching higher education is really hard to predict. This is an industry that had very little change in 100 years until about 2010, but the seas are pretty rough now. Do you know anyone that wants to become an English Professor?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom