The nation's top 10 coaching jobs | The Boneyard

The nation's top 10 coaching jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
On the heels of the ranking for each major conference ESPN did the whole country. UConn is just outside the top 10.

The nation's top 10 coaching jobs

So why did I choose Arizona (#10)? A few reasons. Connecticut's success is impossible to extract from Jim Calhoun, the coach who almost singlehandedly built it.

Reaction Score
Not much complaints with the list. I would flip flop UK and UNC, but I could be convinced otherwise.

I would also put OSU and Lville above Cuse.

Reaction Score
How you can say Connecticut can't be seperated from Jim Calhoun, then say Syracuse can't be seperated from Boeheim, but we'll just ignore that, sounds like this guy a Syracuse grad? Boeheim has built a program based on a gimmicky defense that nobody else uses and flames out almost every year in the tournament. Again, I suppose that if you want a job with not that much pressure to actually go all the way Syracuse is the place. But as the old saying goes why do people get depressed leaving Syracuse? Because to leave Syracuse means you had to be in Syracuse...Louisville is the same. it is basically a no pressure job. You're a distant second to Kentucky, so if you win its nice. if you don't most everyone cares more about the 'cats anyway. In a sense, Louisville is the NY Mets/Jets/Nets of college basketball. It's nice if you win, but even so, the next day everyone will be talking about what the real program, the Yankees/Giants/Knicks are going to do next season. Louisville, and Syracuse fans, too to a lesser degree, actually seem thankful when they get as far as they get. there is no expectation, let alone demand, that they play for championships. I'll give Louiville this though. They have the most athletic facilities named after fast food franchises...

Reaction Score
How you can say Connecticut can't be seperated from Jim Calhoun, then say Syracuse can't be seperated from Boeheim, but we'll just ignore that, sounds like this guy a Syracuse grad? Boeheim has built a program based on a gimmicky defense that nobody else uses and flames out almost every year in the tournament. Again, I suppose that if you want a job with not that much pressure to actually go all the way Syracuse is the place. But as the old saying goes why do people get depressed leaving Syracuse? Because to leave Syracuse means you had to be in Syracuse...Louisville is the same. it is basically a no pressure job. You're a distant second to Kentucky, so if you win its nice. if you don't most everyone cares more about the 'cats anyway. In a sense, Louisville is the NY Mets/Jets/Nets of college basketball. It's nice if you win, but even so, the next day everyone will be talking about what the real program, the Yankees/Giants/Knicks are going to do next season. Louisville, and Syracuse fans, too to a lesser degree, actually seem thankful when they get as far as they get. there is no expectation, let alone demand, that they play for championships. I'll give Louiville this though. They have the most athletic facilities named after fast food franchises...

Last time i checked jets otas get more coverage than the giants got a week after winning it all....jets get as much publicity right or wrong as any team inthe nfl even before tebow.....lville a no pressure job? Cmon man

Reaction Score

It takes a real type of idiot to say there is no pressure at Lville. You really think a school that had 20 million in basketball related donations in 2011 alone and is the most valuable basketball program in the country does not have expectations? Pitino has been to 2 EE and a FF in the last 5 years and has won 2 BET and a regular season championship in that span. Do you want him fired? I think he has 2 BE coach of the years in there as well?

Denny Crum's last 4 years he made the tournament twice and missed it twice and was gone. Did you want them to run him out of the program? He is a legend there. You are an idiot if you think UConn would run JC out if he had a 4 year span of that.

The fact that UConn is considering giving the reins to KO, a guy who has 0 head coaching experience tells a lot about the job UConn is and the expectations coming with it.

I guess when you have no other arguments to defend you clearly wrong point (almost as wrong as UVM and Fairfield getting at-larges and the BE being unable to produce a champion point) you have to make up stuff.

Reaction Score
It takes a real type of idiot to say there is no pressure at Lville. You really think a school that had 20 million in basketball related donations in 2011 alone and is the most valuable basketball program in the country does not have expectations? Pitino has been to 2 EE and a FF in the last 5 years and has won 2 BET and a regular season championship in that span. Do you want him fired? I think he has 2 BE coach of the years in there as well?

Denny Crum's last 4 years he made the tournament twice and missed it twice and was gone. Did you want them to run him out of the program? He is a legend there. You are an idiot if you think UConn would run JC out if he had a 4 year span of that.

The fact that UConn is considering giving the reins to KO, a guy who has 0 head coaching experience tells a lot about the job UConn is and the expectations coming with it.

I guess when you have no other arguments to defend you clearly wrong point (almost as wrong as UVM and Fairfield getting at-larges and the BE being unable to produce a champion point) you have to make up stuff.

You're kind of leaving some information out. Crum was 129-97 in his last 7 years and he had been past the sweet 16 once in 15 years. Calhoun has never once gone through a stretch like that at UConn.

Also, UNC gave the job to Guthridge who had never been a head coach. Syracuse hired a coach in waiting with Hopkins who has never been a head coach. Joe B Hall was a head coach for only one year at Central Missouri before being hired at Kentucky.

The idea that considering Kevin Ollie as head coach says anything about UConn's standing in the CBB world is a little ridiculous.

Reaction Score

So you know that UConn is considering giving the reign to Ollie? Who did you hear that from? Isn't the point of all the recent talk from Warde Manuel that UConn is NOT considering giving the reigns to KO at this point in time and will want to do a national search?

Obviously if the UConn job was available it would be a very desirable job. The UConn head coaching position may be anywhere from 11-14 on this list but do you think the interest would be any different if they were say 6, 7, 8, 9 or 10 on this list? Say the Syracuse and UConn jobs were open at the same time and 1 candidate was offered by both. It's a toss up with personal preference which one the candidate would take. UConn losing out to UNC, Kansas or Kentucky? Yes. To Syracuse or Louisville? Maybe and maybe not.

Reaction Score
You're kind of leaving some information out. Crum was 129-97 in his last 7 years and he had been past the sweet 16 once in 15 years. Calhoun has never once gone through a stretch like that at UConn.

Also, UNC gave the job to Guthridge who had never been a head coach. Syracuse hired a coach in waiting with Hopkins who has never been a head coach. Joe B Hall was a head coach for only one year at Central Missouri before being hired at Kentucky.

The idea that considering Kevin Ollie as head coach says anything about UConn's standing in the CBB world is a little ridiculous.

In the 5 year prior to what I referenced he went to 3 Sweet 16s and 1 EE. He never missed the tournament in back to back years, he only missed the tournament twice and followed those up with a Sweet 16 and a 2nd Round finish. The last four years were not good but before that while he didnt have a FF in while he did have good deep runs. Calhoun went what 13 years without a FF, we didnt run him out of town.

Bill Guthridge was a assistant at the school for 30 years, little different from Ollie. Hopkins for 15 years. Joe B Hall was hired was hired in 1972, its a little different now.

P.S. I do think UConn is a top 12 job in the country.

Reaction Score
In the 5 year prior to what I referenced he went to 3 Sweet 16s and 1 EE. He never missed the tournament in back to back years, he only missed the tournament twice and followed those up with a Sweet 16 and a 2nd Round finish. The last four years were not good but before that while he didnt have a FF in while he did have good deep runs. Calhoun went what 13 years without a FF, we didnt run him out of town.

Bill Guthridge was a assistant at the school for 30 years, little different from Ollie. Hopkins for 15 years. Joe B Hall was hired was hired in 1972, its a little different now.

P.S. I do think UConn is a top 12 job in the country.

No, but UConn was dominating the Big East before they went to the final four.

I still don't know how Kevin Ollie being considered for the job has any significance in terms of where UConn stands as a job.

Reaction Score
I agree with UNC #1, opening list I thought it would be UNC & UK the top 2 in some order. More thought I agree, better job, more of a hoops league and MJ.

I know UT is a better job than 'Zona or 'Cuse.

Not much complaints with the list. I would flip flop UK and UNC, but I could be convinced otherwise.

I would also put OSU and Lville above Cuse.

Reaction Score
Like the NCAA selection committee, their criteria seems to be arbitrary from program to program. I believe criteria should be consistent when judging programs. Here would be mine for ranking "Best head coaching job":

1) Potential Salary (40%)
2) Recruiting area/pipeline (25%)
3) Fan support (20%)
4) Tradition (10%)
5) Location/Quality of life (this is arbitrary, but would probably be a negative for programs located in bumblef**k like Kansas and Syracuse; Storrs is 90 minutes from NYC and Boston for the SU lurkers) (5%)

Reaction Score
The one thing i always wonder about is the fan support that UConn has. I look at Syracuse and see they can put 30,000 people in the dome with ease for a big game. If we had a 30,000 seat arena, i dont think the crowd would be over 18,000 on a good day. I think we have a good amount of hardcore fans though... like all of us on the boneyard. Lets face it, you have to be a hardcore fan to be here. I dont know the exact figures but how does UConn rank as far as donations compared to other schools??

Reaction Score

People who resort ot namecalling usually have no real argument, but I'll make two points...first drive five miles outside Louisville and nobody cares about Louisville...they only care about Kentucky basketball. Look at their radio network, for example and its the 2nd tier stations in areas outside Louisville. Think WDRC rather than WTIC in Hartford, something like that. to catch the UL games in some areas you need to drive to the top of the nearest hill, climb th ebiggest tree and point your radio at the moon, though UK comes in loud and clear. (note to hegotgame, you don't actually have to climb a tree...it is a metaphore). 2nd, They have some big donors obviously, and of course they want to win, but they are perfectly happy, indeed I would say thrilled, to make an elite eight or a final four. But they don't expect to win and they don't question why they don't. I'm not calling for him to be fired, and Louisville fans aren't calling for him to be fired...in fact they love him, which is kind of the point. If UCONN fans were told we were getting the highest paid coach (at the time) in the game and his results were similar to Pitino's, there woud be rumblings aobut his ability to win it all. You clearly don't remember the mid-90s at UCONN. Calhoun had taken a team that had never finsihed above .500 in th econference and made it a national power, made multiple deep runs into the NCAA tourney. there was an undercurrent of questioning as to whether he could ever take UCONN to the Final Four or ultimately a national championship, and there was even talk about replacing him with Tom Penders. That is more pressure than Pitino has seen or ever will see at Louisville.

I'm not sure what your point is about Denny Crum...He won two national championships back in the 1980s, but by 2000 Louisville was no longer a national power...they were more or less a high mid major. And that was fine with them. And if Pitino's teams start ot follow the same path, from top 5 to top 25 over the next few years, they'll be fine with that, too. That is the difference. Finally, on kevin Ollie...to me that isn't a commentary on how desireable the UCONN job is. It is a commentary on how Jim Calhoun has dominated the scene. The very idea that one of the most desireable (and even if its 11, 12 or 15 out of 300 plus, that is pretty damned high) jobs in the country is even thinking seriously about replacing a hall of famer with a guy who, as a coach, is essentially a nobody says that Calhoun has incredible influence over the athletic department and the athletic landscape of this state. Frankly, this is one area where I fault both Manuel and Herbst (though her to a lesser degree since filling the basketball coach job is technically in Manuel's court). The next time the question is asked, he should tell folks that this is UCONN, not some community college. it is one of the most desireable jobs in college basketball, so of course he is not automatically promoting an assistant with 2 years experience. His wishy washiness is very unbecoming in an otherwise pretty impressive performance.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Like the NCAA selection committee, their criteria seems to be arbitrary from program to program. I believe criteria should be consistent when judging programs. Here would be mine for ranking "Best head coaching job":

3) Fan support (20%)
4) Tradition (10%)
5) Location/Quality of life (this is arbitrary, but would probably be a negative for programs located in bumblef**k like Kansas and Syracuse; Storrs is 90 minutes from NYC and Boston for the SU lurkers) (5%)

I agree with most of this, but from personal experience, Storrs doesn't even belong in the coversation with Lawrence, KS as a place to live (or attend college for that matter). Plus Lawrence is only 50 minutes from Kansas City, which is much more interetsing than Hartford. Location and quality of life is worth way more than 5%.

Anyway, I think Ohio State is overrated on this list. Only recent success under Matta. I think Michigan State has next to nothing on Michigan, apart from recent success under Izzo. The reality is that most of this is personal preference. Morgantown blows...but not for Huggins. After the first handful of schools, it's up to the individual.

Reaction Score
I agree with most of this, but from personal experience, Storrs doesn't even belong in the coversation with Lawrence, KS as a place to live (or attend college for that matter). Plus Lawrence is only 50 minutes from Kansas City, which is much more interetsing than Hartford. Location and quality of life is worth way more than 5%.

Anyway, I think Ohio State is overrated on this list. Only recent success under Matta. I think Michigan State has next to nothing on Michigan, apart from recent success under Izzo. The reality is that most of this is personal preference. Morgantown blows...but not for Huggins. After the first handful of schools, it's up to the individual.
I think facilities should also be on the list... once Uconn's practice facilities are done, we are easily a Top 10 program.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
People who resort ot namecalling usually have no real argument, but I'll make two points...first drive five miles outside Louisville and nobody cares about Louisville...they only care about Kentucky basketball. Look at their radio network, for example and its the 2nd tier stations in areas outside Louisville. Think WDRC rather than WTIC in Hartford, something like that. to catch the UL games in some areas you need to drive to the top of the nearest hill, climb th ebiggest tree and point your radio at the moon, though UK comes in loud and clear. (note to hegotgame, you don't actually have to climb a tree...it is a metaphore). 2nd, They have some big donors obviously, and of course they want to win, but they are perfectly happy, indeed I would say thrilled, to make an elite eight or a final four. But they don't expect to win and they don't question why they don't. I'm not calling for him to be fired, and Louisville fans aren't calling for him to be fired...in fact they love him, which is kind of the point. If UCONN fans were told we were getting the highest paid coach (at the time) in the game and his results were similar to Pitino's, there woud be rumblings aobut his ability to win it all. You clearly don't remember the mid-90s at UCONN. Calhoun had taken a team that had never finsihed above .500 in th econference and made it a national power, made multiple deep runs into the NCAA tourney. there was an undercurrent of questioning as to whether he could ever take UCONN to the Final Four or ultimately a national championship, and there was even talk about replacing him with Tom Penders. That is more pressure than Pitino has seen or ever will see at Louisville.

I'm not sure what your point is about Denny Crum...He won two national championships back in the 1980s, but by 2000 Louisville was no longer a national power...they were more or less a high mid major. And that was fine with them. And if Pitino's teams start ot follow the same path, from top 5 to top 25 over the next few years, they'll be fine with that, too. That is the difference. Finally, on kevin Ollie...to me that isn't a commentary on how desireable the UCONN job is. It is a commentary on how Jim Calhoun has dominated the scene. The very idea that one of the most desireable (and even if its 11, 12 or 15 out of 300 plus, that is pretty damned high) jobs in the country is even thinking seriously about replacing a hall of famer with a guy who, as a coach, is essentially a nobody says that Calhoun has incredible influence over the athletic department and the athletic landscape of this state. Frankly, this is one area where I fault both Manuel and Herbst (though her to a lesser degree since filling the basketball coach job is technically in Manuel's court). The next time the question is asked, he should tell folks that this is UCONN, not some community college. it is one of the most desireable jobs in college basketball, so of course he is not automatically promoting an assistant with 2 years experience. His wishy washiness is very unbecoming in an otherwise pretty impressive performance.

Ever actually been to Louisville?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score

3) Fan support (20%)
4) Tradition (10%)
I cannot imagine the level of recklessness it would require to get to NYC in 90 minutes from Storrs.

Additionally, quality of life on and around campus is important. Your typical college student isn't going to NYC or Boston every weekend. Lawrence, KS is actually a pretty decent college town- much better than Storrs, if it comes to that.

One criterion that the ESPN article doesn't mention is the amount of pressure to win. Rick Barnes gets paid like a top 10 coach but has zero pressure to win it all. Donovan has won it all at Florida, but he has had lean years as well with no one batting an eyelash. Meanwhile, Bill Self has a ship at Kansas, and an early exit in the tourney will still cause the fanbase to scream for his head.

Reaction Score

3) Fan support (20%)
4) Tradition (10%)

1)don't know
2) New York/Boston
3)Very high not fanatic
4) Last 25 years, 3NC, 4 FF, 1 NIT Championship, Numerous pre-season championships = elite
5)According to Forbes Magazine, Connecticut ranks #2 in the country for quality of life.

Reaction Score
What is the top program in the country that will hire a new head coach in the next 5 years?

Uconn, Syracuse, other?

If you're an ambitious head coach on the market then HC at Uconn is a dream job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom