The Lincoln Bracket changed dramatically last night | The Boneyard

The Lincoln Bracket changed dramatically last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I posted a thread after selection Monday that I was happy about UConn's draw. Well, now, some very significant changes, all of which seem to bode well for UConn, have occurred:

• At this point, the only potential rematches from this season would be no earlier than the national semifinals.
  • St Joes (#9), BYU (#12) and Either DePaul or Texas A&M (#7/#3) are the path to Final Four. all three of these teams would be ahead of where their seeds would predict they'd be in the round Uconn would play them. A #1 seed has a chalk path to the Final Four of #16, #8, #4, and #2. Needless to say, this is more favorable.
  • Not only is a #12 seed more favorable than playing a #4 in the regional semis, but the #4 seed had a home game in their region. UConn still goes to Lincoln with a win tonight...but there is no game in Lincoln against the University of Nebraska.
Again, none of this matters if you don't win your games, and the Final Four game (s) would be tough in any event. Nevertheless, UConn is favorably positioned, and I like it!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Well, there is one really bad thing about it. There's likely going to be a lot fewer people in the stands watching them now.

And I'm guessing that when the Nebraska regional games were set for Saturday-Monday, the thought of taking the precaution of not having a Sunday game because of BYU was a very back-of-the-mind consideration.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Agree, UCONN's fairly easy path (at least compared to the other regions) got even easier. Of course UCONN still has to go out and accomplish the task. But it does seem like an easier task. Wonder if Texas A&M can survive tonight? Can you imagine UCONN, BYU, James Madison and DePaul in the Lincoln Regional???

Well, there is one really bad thing about it. There's likely going to be a lot fewer people in the stands watching them now.
Agree with that too. Was looking forward to seeing UCONN play against Nebraska on their home court. Would have been a great experience for the team. (and the fans)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score

Many of whom will be UConn fans. It might be a home game for the Huskies. Perhaps Geno should scold UConn fans about poor attendance in Lincoln like he did in Storrs in 2011. :)

Additionally, my hope is that there will be some local interest of fans who want to see UConn, even if they're not playing Nebraska. Not enough to fill the arena, but a number of interested fans won't be a bad thing.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Many of whom will be UConn fans. It might be a home game for the Huskies. Perhaps Geno should scold UConn fans about poor attendance in Lincoln like he did in Storrs in 2011. :)

Additionally, my hope is that there will be some local interest of fans who want to see UConn, even if they're not playing Nebraska. Not enough to fill the arena, but a number of interested fans won't be a bad thing.
Yeah, and I guess there is a bonus that a lot of Husker fans who do show will now not have such a huge reason to root against the Huskies and maybe will be able to enjoy and even be just rooting for the best team, as I'm sure a few will take a bit of pride if their region's champ becomes the NC winner.

Last edited:

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I hope we don't slack off...that could be detrimental to our future.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm disappointed. I wanted to see UConn play Nebraska in front of a crazy crowd. Oh well.

Reaction Score
This talk about UConn now being more favorably positioned for the Final Four assumes the seedings were accurate in the first place. But if what we are learning is that Depaul is actually better than Duke and that BYU is actually better than Nebraska, then maybe we are also learning that the bracket is tougher than we thought, and UConn's path to the FF is also tougher. Not that I think any of this can stop us. Barring a perfect storm of unlikely events, we will get to the FF, and beyond.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
This talk about UConn now being more favorably positioned for the Final Four assumes the seedings were accurate in the first place. But if what we are learning is that Depaul is actually better than Duke and that BYU is actually better than Nebraska, then maybe we are also learning that the bracket is tougher than we thought, and UConn's path to the FF is also tougher. Not that I think any of this can stop us. Barring a perfect storm of unlikely events, we will get to the FF, and beyond.

Just as an example, BYU has had some terrible losses this season. Nice win over NU, but I'd still rather play the BYU in Lincoln than Nebraska in Lincoln. As for Duke/DePaul/A&M, you're right that the best team may be simply who wins out rather than who was seeded the highest. However, we've had a history of 20+ wins over all three of these teams, even worse against Depaul and A&M.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
UCONN already had a crazy easy path to the final 4. Duke, our 2 seed, was a team we beat by 20+, and that was WHEN they had their starting back court of Gray and Jones. Depaul or aTm? I don't see where either team keeps the loss to under 25. UCONN will romp to the final 4.

I disagree with Tidepool that the bracket is tougher than we thought. First, Duke probably would have beaten Depaul if they'd had their starting back court. Think of how UCONN would fare if Mo and Bria went down mid season. Second, BYU? Holy cow. I predict a win of about 84-40. And Depaul or aTm will be lucky to come within 25 of UCONN.

Reaction Score
I posted a thread after selection Monday that I was happy about UConn's draw. Well, now, some very significant changes, all of which seem to bode well for UConn, have occurred:

• [ ]At this point, the only potential rematches from this season would be no earlier than the national semifinals.
    [ ]St Joes (#9), BYU (#12) and Either DePaul or Texas A&M (#7/#3) are the path to Final Four. all three of these teams would be ahead of where their seeds would predict they'd be in the round Uconn would play them. A #1 seed has a chalk path to the Final Four of #16, #8, #4, and #2. Needless to say, this is more favorable.
    [ ]Not only is a #12 seed more favorable than playing a #4 in the regional semis, but the #4 seed had a home game in their region. UConn still goes to Lincoln with a win tonight...but there is no game in Lincoln against the University of Nebraska.
Again, none of this matters if you don't win your games, and the Final Four game (s) would be tough in any event. Nevertheless, UConn is favorably positioned, and I like it!
hope no letdown with layoff and lack of strong team to play

HGN

Reaction Score
The BIG key here is Geno may be able to give his starters a little more rest before the FF....Maybe Stef and Mo will be able to recover from a virus and heal a sore foot. Regardless as to who we had to play , we still would have to win the game. The key to UConn is its health and bench play. The bench may now get a few more minutes and the starters a little more rest.

In any case , it bodes well for the Huskies. They just have to take care of business.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What I like about this region is that if James Madison can pull off the upset and Uconn holds serve Lincoln becomes the 'mid-major' regional - with the AAC, CAA, BE, and WCC conferences represented having ousted teams from the ACC, Big10, and Big12 all higher seeds. Now that would make for a good story line!

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score

Who knows you could get the same refs as the UNC game, there may be technical difficulties, 5 flagrant flops, a bomb scare and annoying PA announcer and a partridge in a pear tree.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
The BIG key here is Geno may be able to give his starters a little more rest before the FF....Maybe Stef and Mo will be able to recover from a virus and heal a sore foot. Regardless as to who we had to play , we still would have to win the game. The key to UConn is its health and bench play. The bench may now get a few more minutes and the starters a little more rest.

In any case , it bodes well for the Huskies. They just have to take care of business.
At this point, with a game tonight and then plenty of rest before 2 games in 3 days, I really don't see rest being an issue.

Even against "tougher" teams, Geno could play his starters 25-30 with no impact to the results. He still wants to play them enough to keep them sharp.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I'm disappointed. I wanted to see UConn play Nebraska in front of a crazy crowd. Oh well.

So did the NCAA.

And ESPN.

Not to mention many Nebraska fans and even a few ordinarily disinterested citizens who had harbored some fantasy about their Husker wcbb players knocking off [gasp!] powerhouse UConn.

"There is no joy in Mudville, mighty Casey has struck out!"

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
A&M vs DePaul should be a great game. Both teams with small lineups that like to run and gun. The commentators that like offense should love this game if it happens.

Then the winner potentially faces, UConn and will a quick talented roster be able to withstand UConn's size advantage. Of course UConn first has to get there. Tonight's game against St Joe's should be more difficult then a potential BYU match up.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

The team doesn't need rest. It had rest during the 2-week break. The starters need to play and get back to where they were before the break. Stef especially needs to play. The virus is gone but she needs to get her legs and lungs back.

I'd like to see one of Chong or Banks establish herself as the first guard off the bench. Saniya seems to have that role at this point. She hit some shots the other night, but neither she nor Banks is playing that well.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
After watching the games for the past few days I see the top seeds struggling. If they struggle against UConn they aren't coming back. Geno will throw in the walk ons and let them catch up but the game will be long over. In my bracket I have UConn facing Depaul. One other point. Seeing top seed struggle against much lower seeds and seeing 12 seeds etc advance makes me wonder why teams in the so called top conferences with losing records are in the NCAAs? There are some pretty good mid majors just like a Marist or Fordham that should be there with winning records. Another point when I see USC ND Duke etc struggle and I watch Nebreska and BYU I think to myself really. UConn will win number 9 and I really dont think it will be close. This years version of UConn could be the Greatest Team WCBB has ever seen.

Reaction Score
I disagree with Tidepool that the bracket is tougher than we thought. First, Duke probably would have beaten Depaul if they'd had their starting back court. Think of how UCONN would fare if Mo and Bria went down mid season. Second, BYU? Holy cow. I predict a win of about 84-40. And Depaul or aTm will be lucky to come within 25 of UCONN.

Yes, Duke probably would have beaten Depaul if Duke had had their starting backcourt, but that's not the point. A depleted Duke was the #2 seed in our bracket, and it now appears that Depaul, at this point, is better than the depleted Duke team that we would have faced if the seedings had held. So, unless you believed, before yesterday, that Depaul was better than the current Duke lineup despite being seeded lower, Depaul's win means our bracket is tougher than you thought. Not that the increase in toughness is enough to derail us, as I said. But it is tougher than was appreciated before.

But first, St. Joe's.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I think a lot of fans will come to see the Huskies in Lincoln for pretty much the same reasons they go to see the Globetrotters.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Yes, Duke probably would have beaten Depaul if Duke had had their starting backcourt, but that's not the point. A depleted Duke was the #2 seed in our bracket, and it now appears that Depaul, at this point, is better than the depleted Duke team that we would have faced if the seedings had held. So, unless you believed, before yesterday, that Depaul was better than the current Duke lineup despite being seeded lower, Depaul's win means our bracket is tougher than you thought. Not that the increase in toughness is enough to derail us, as I said. But it is tougher than was appreciated before.

But first, St. Joe's.
I still disagree but no point in debating. I get your opinion. Duke, IMHO, was already the weakest 2 seed in our bracket. Not sure why our bracket suddenly got tougher since Duke lost. Had they won, would it have been an easier bracket? By that logic, the fact that BYU beat Nebraska means our bracket is tougher because BYU is better than Nebraska.

Like I said, Depaul still needs to get past aTm. We beat BYU by 40+ and Depaul/aTm by 30+, unless Geno calls off the dogs and plays most of the 2nd half with Banks, Chong, Stoks, and then maybe Mo and one other starter...

Reaction Score
Who knows you could get the same refs as the UNC game, there may be technical difficulties, 5 flagrant flops, a bomb scare and annoying PA announcer and a partridge in a pear tree.
It won't matter if the fire sprinklers turn on, fights break out in the stands or flying monkeys swarm the building, UCONN wins going away and they hit Nashville in full stride. :eek:

5 TO GO

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how strong a role the UConn bench plays tonight after a 14 point, 15 rebound, 4 assist performance in the first round game.

The high seeds' benches last night were at: ND (12-6-2), UTenn (7-11-4), Baylor (19-9-2), and Stanford (13-5-6). So the average was around 13-8-4. Hope that the Husky bench can match that and quiet all the Achilles heel type talk among the short-bench crowd. Still don't think it matters much, but it would be nice to eliminate a talking point for ESPN pundits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom