The Irish severing ties with the Big East | The Boneyard

The Irish severing ties with the Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It appears that Notre Dame is moving all of it olympic sports out of the Big East and into the Big 12 according to Rivals.com This coincides with many other possible changes coming the the college football landscape. Could the Irish be playing football in the Big 12 down the road?

Reaction Score
Nice, they just stabbed a dozen Catholic Schools in the back. Must be taking lessons from BCU.

They should have been kicked out years ago.

Reaction Score
same story as cirulated last week - no ND info, just bloggers sepculating from their basement. Frankly, it just gets so tiresome, but I am conflicted - part of me wants the BE to tell ND, in or out; part of me recognizes UConn, too, has a foot out the door.

Reaction Score
It appears that Notre Dame is moving all of it olympic sports out of the Big East and into the Big 12 according to Rivals.com This coincides with many other possible changes coming the the college football landscape. Could the Irish be playing football in the Big 12 down the road?

Was reported as a rumor in one of the NYC "dailies," along with a denial by ND's AD. So, who knows.

Went back and found"it" in "Daily News."

"It was a wild day in college football with one report from Orange Bloods.com stating Notre Dame would leave the Big East in all non-football sports July 31 to join the Big 12. But Swarbick quickly shot that down, saying, “There’s nothing to it. I have no idea what prompted that,” he said, although he indicated stability in the Big East was still an important factor."

Reaction Score
With the beginnings of a playoff format determined by committee which they are part, they dont have to go anywhere.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Im not sure I get why they would rather play those sports elsewhere? Do the Big 12 schools even play soccer? Maybe Texas wants it so that is who keeps floating it. Maybe they would be interested in football scheduling? It's not like ND has a problem putting together a schedule - are USC, Michigan, MSU or anyone else not going to play them?

Reaction Score
Im not sure I get why they would rather play those sports elsewhere? Do the Big 12 schools even play soccer? Maybe Texas wants it so that is who keeps floating it. Maybe they would be interested in football scheduling? It's not like ND has a problem putting together a schedule - are USC, Michigan, MSU or anyone else not going to play them?
Well if this is true, I sure hope the Big East allows them to keep any sports that the B-12 doesn't offer right here.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
From the Chicago Tribune:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...ort-of-big-12-switch-20120620,0,4551897.story

Yes, the Irish will have access to the new championship mechanism as a football independent, a crucial flash point. But, no, the Irish will not shift allegiance of other sports to the Big 12 soon, as a report contended could occur by the end of summer.

"I saw that and I thought (Bob) Bowlsby and I should hold hands up there," Swarbrick joked, alluding to the incoming Big 12 commissioner. "I have no idea what prompted that. It is not based on any discussion, any meeting we have done."

It's treacherous to deal in absolutes in the ever-shifting college football landscape, especially given the ragged state of the Big East. One source said such an arrangement with the Big 12 indeed may have to be an option for Notre Dame — eventually, but not imminently.

"I've said all along that there were three important factors for us," Swarbrick said. "One was the resolution of postseason football, which we are closer to. One is a resolution of our media relationship, which we are in the homestretch of.

"The third is related to the stability of the Big East, which we get more information on every day. In that sense, pieces of that are starting to fall into place, and that will put us in a time and place where we probably take a look at it and decide what we're doing."

So basically, I think Notre Dame has eliminated the option of going to a conference as a full member since they still have access to the National Championship while remaining independent. Also, I think Notre Dame has decided that the B12 for n0n-football schools is their fallback plan if the Big East implodes. But I think (at least for now), Notre Dame wants to remain with the Big East. If Louisville/UConn leave the Big East, I think you will then see Notre Dame go to the B12 for all other sports.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well if this is true, I sure hope the Big East allows them to keep any sports that the B-12 doesn't offer right here.

Well I guess I should have looked it up. They do. OSU had a good record this year. Still don't get it but whatever they do in would be nice if they just did it.

Reaction Score
why does anyone thing Orange Bloods is a credible source? just because UT is bigger than UConn doesn't mean their idiot bloggers know any more than ours, which is zero. all they do is fling crap against the wall. some of it sticks but most of it falls into the dung heap. they're no different or better than any other blog

Reaction Score
If ND takes their olympic sports out of the BE it would be comical. For years, people stated the BE needed ND, what a joke. BE more than anyone else is responsible for allowing ND to continue their independence in FB. It would be sort of poetic justice if ND shivs them in the back one final time.

Reaction Score
Well I guess I should have looked it up. They do. OSU had a good record this year. Still don't get it but whatever they do in would be nice if they just did it.
Actually, the B-12 doesn't play mens soccer. That was womens. OSU won the league. Notre Dame has a pretty solid mens team. So we should let them stay in the Big East along with their lacrosse team (no B-12 lacrosse) and any other program that doesn't "fit" in the B-12. It would be a perfect solution. They get to continue their tradition of taking much more from the Big East than they give.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
why does anyone thing Orange Bloods is a credible source? just because UT is bigger than UConn doesn't mean their idiot bloggers know any more than ours, which is zero. all they do is fling crap against the wall. some of it sticks but most of it falls into the dung heap. they're no different or better than any other blog

They are different in the sense that the school uses them to advance their agenda. They aren't so much flinging crap as serving as a propaganda machine.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
I just can't see ND fans getting too excited to have to play Iowa State or Texas Tech in basketball

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Is it too late to kick them out now?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
They are different in the sense that the school uses them to advance their agenda. They aren't so much flinging crap as serving as a propaganda machine.

i'm pretty sure Orangebloods was the first to report Texas' move to the PAC12. sounds like crap flinging to me

Reaction Score
i'm pretty sure Orangebloods was the first to report Texas' move to the PAC12. sounds like crap flinging to me

That's what UT wanted out there in the press for leverage. Which is what I think whaler is saying.

Reaction Score
it doesn't matter whose crap it is, it's still crap

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It will depend solely on ND's perception if the future BE brand.

Though I can't see why the B12 would want them without FB. Does ND plan to play a 4-4-1-3 schedule? 4-BIG, 4-B12, USC, plus service academies/other?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'll believe it when I see it. Like others have already said, it sounds like crap to me.

Reaction Score
ND is #1 in Big East titles in sports other than football since the mid 2000s. Louisville is #2 and UConn is #3. We are definitely one of the pillars of this Big East. Way ahead of schools like Cincy or USF, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom