The In Game Coach's Interview | The Boneyard

The In Game Coach's Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I am fascinated by the in game interviews I saw in the run up to the National Championship game last year. First, I wonder, why the heck would a coach give one. I am not talking a half time interview here. One of those in game time out interviews. My favorite is one with Geno , I forget which game, in which he said essentially I can't figure out what the heck they are doing out there. The interview I would nominate for not doing these interviews anymore would be Mitchell of Kentucky. You know, the guy with half a pound of Brillcream in his hair. Asked about how his up tempo offense was affecting UConn he said (paraphrase): I don't know. The team I am concerned about is Kentucky. Given another open ended question to try to sound intelligent, he offered the ultimate unassailable response: You are going to have to score to win this game! Arrggh! Hey, coach, if you really think someone is listening, why don't you throw them a curve. We think we spotted a weakness in So and So's move to the X so we are going to try to exploit that in the next 4 minutes. Say anything but the ball has to go through the hoop for us to win!!

Reaction Score
I am fascinated by the in game interviews I saw in the run up to the National Championship game last year. First, I wonder, why the heck would a coach give one. I am not talking a half time interview here. One of those in game time out interviews. My favorite is one with Geno , I forget which game, in which he said essentially I can't figure out what the heck they are doing out there. The interview I would nominate for not doing these interviews anymore would be Mitchell of Kentucky. You know, the guy with half a pound of Brillcream in his hair. Asked about how his up tempo offense was affecting UConn he said (paraphrase): I don't know. The team I am concerned about is Kentucky. Given another open ended question to try to sound intelligent, he offered the ultimate unassailable response: You are going to have to score to win this game! Arrggh! Hey, coach, if you really think someone is listening, why don't you throw them a curve. We think we spotted a weakness in So and So's move to the X so we are going to try to exploit that in the next 4 minutes. Say anything but the ball has to go through the hoop for us to win!!

It's even worse with the players. Why even interview them at halftime? A lot of them are winded. I mean what are they gonna say. We have to play defense. We have to score. Keep doing what we are doing. We are going to have to step it up. lol

ND - UConn Final Four game.....if you notice right at halftime (starting about 1:02:25 on the youtube vid) when the teams are running into the locker room the interviewer tries to corral Diggins but Diggins ain't having none of it and looks like she tells her to find someone else. I wonder what would happen if they all ran by her? lol. I guess it's in the TV contract huh. They would probably make them drag someone back out there to interview.

Reaction Score
Interviews with most jocks and many coaches are pro forma and rarely worth listening to.
I can understand using them to fill to the top of the hour, but not otherwise.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It's even worse with the players. Why even interview them at halftime? A lot of them are winded. I mean what are they gonna say. We have to play defense. We have to score. Keep doing what we are doing. We are going to have to step it up. lol

ND - UConn Final Four game.....if you notice right at halftime (starting about 1:02:25 on the youtube vid) when the teams are running into the locker room the interviewer tries to corral Diggins but Diggins ain't having none of it and looks like she tells her to find someone else. I wonder what would happen if they all ran by her? lol. I guess it's in the TV contract huh. They would probably make them drag someone back out there to interview.

You are right. But every once and a while a jewel of intelligence comes out. Stewie was interviewed at the half in an NCAA game - maybe the final??? - and she was asked what are you doing on offense- duh, and she said: Just keeping moving in and out, that is always hard to guard. In other words, exactly what a 4 (I hate Nos but that is her with Stef out there) should be doing. Her movement just gives fits to another team. A 6' 4" FOUR fluidly moving in and out in the box and capable of taking a step out to kill a 3... absolute horror.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
A 6' 4" FOUR fluidly moving in and out in the box and capable of taking a step out to kill a 3... absolute horror.
Unless you are Geno and that player is on your team. Then it is an absolute delight.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
BStew was tired as heck with Lobo and wanted to get back to the locker. Im sure Lobo understood... and Diggins was dragged thru the mud for "blowing off" the reporter, she's such a diva who loves the media attention :rolleyes:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
BStew was tired as heck with Lobo and wanted to get back to the locker. Im sure Lobo understood... and Diggins was dragged thru the mud for "blowing off" the reporter, she's such a diva who loves the media attention :rolleyes:
Not inconsistent at all. People conscious of publicity never want it when it is less than flattering.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Interviews with most jocks and many coaches are pro forma and rarely worth listening to.
I can understand using them to fill to the top of the hour, but not otherwise.
Those that can play, play. Those that can't play, coach. Those that can't coach, report. And those that can't report, become sideline reporters.

IMO, one of the biggest wastes of time ever invented. (besides the MTV Music Awards :rolleyes:)

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Those that can play, play. Those that can't play, coach. Those that can't coach, report. And those that can't report, become sideline reporters.

And those that can't do sideline reporting become Boneyard contibutors.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I read that ESPN made it a broadcast condition that the coaches had to agree to do those interviews. Personally, I think the coach should be allowed to coach, and not have to be interviewd while the game is in progress.
I am not talking the "going in to the halftime" interviews. I am talking about the ones at the 8 or 9 minute mark during the period. Those are the ones I object to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom