OT: - The Grinnell Offense | The Boneyard

OT: The Grinnell Offense

Reaction Score
Nice vid. Made me wonder how many points this guy would have scored in a game there?

Denham Brown, UConn and a new generation of Canadian basketball - The ...

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The Grinnell Offense is insane and might be used in bigger programs one day.

I would love for a team to try leaking 1-2 guys every time they're on D against us.

Hey, it works for Grinnell. They were nobodies and now people know who they are. I remember when Taylor scored 138.

Reaction Score
Pretty quirky, progressive school in the middle of cornfields. Makes sense they'd be unconventional on the court.

It would be interesting if the sports networks ran one of their games just for people to see. There's gotta be room for a fun DIII game somewhere.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I've got a 20 year old VHS instructional video featuring Arsenault and Grinnell. My favorite part is their full court press. They allow the opponent to inbound the ball and then they get behind them and make sure the opponent doesn't ever pass the ball backwards. The idea is to force a quick shot. Make or miss doesn't really matter because Grinnell just wants the ball back. They believe the system will allow them to win by scoring more points. At the higher college levels the only reasonable comparison would be Loyola Marymount bitd.

Reaction Score
the only reasonable comparison would be Loyola Marymount bitd.

Westhead's teams averaged over 120 points per game in the early 90"s and they played zero defense

Reaction Score
I’m not saying D1 programs will run this next week but it’s an evolvement that could definitely have an influence on parts of the game.

Think about things like shifts in baseball, how bunting went away and it’s strikeouts or HRs. Spread offenses in football. You have teams scoring TDs going 80 yds in 40 seconds with no timeouts. Think about how often teams go for not oj fourth down now. The pro and college hoop game and the over reliance on threes.

Reaction Score
I’m not saying D1 programs will run this next week but it’s an evolvement that could definitely have an influence on parts of the game.

Think about things like shifts in baseball, how bunting went away and it’s strikeouts or HRs. Spread offenses in football. You have teams scoring TDs going 80 yds in 40 seconds with no timeouts. Think about how often teams go for not oj fourth down now. The pro and college hoop game and the over reliance on threes.

I think it already has influenced the game in a big way.

Pressing, running and gunning are important parts of the college game. The press doesn't quite work in the pros, but I guarantee the early pioneers of the fast, 3-heavy offense in the league had The System influencing them.

Reaction Score
I think I read about this program and their style like 15 years ago

Reaction Score
I remember reading this when it came out. I understand the need to get publicity and $$$ for your program, but at the end of the day it's trashy. Not worth it to me, but if it works for you, whatever.
Meh, it's all within the rules of the game. I want to see the Charlotte Hornets try it...doing it the old way certainly isn't working.

It was gimmicky a few years ago when the Warriors were taking all those 3's. Many of the bball pundits said you can't possibly win a title that way.

If we're talking about scoring while up big in the later minutes, i don't mind that either. I may not do it as a coach, but if you don't want to lose by a million, play better defense.

Reaction Score
Meh, it's all within the rules of the game. I want to see the Charlotte Hornets try it...doing it the old way certainly isn't working.

It was gimmicky a few years ago when the Warriors were taking all those 3's. Many of the bball pundits said you can't possibly win a title that way.

If we're talking about scoring while up big in the later minutes, i don't mind that either. I may not do it as a coach, but if you don't want to lose by a million, play better defense.

Just because something is within the rules of the game, doesn't mean it isn't trashy. Running up the score to 200 is trashy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom