The Glass Wall - Women Coaches | The Boneyard

The Glass Wall - Women Coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I believe this is an older piece - and, IIRC, the sentiments I expressed were that focusing on Runge did not strengthen the piece. There's more to that story.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is an interesting read, and the story seems to get trotted out again every year or two. But I do not think this is the story to hang any 'glass ceiling' statements on. The coaching profession is littered with men and women who had success, were fired or let go, and have never gotten a second chance for whatever reason. I certainly don't think there was some grand conspiracy by ADs across the country to not hire her. And while her side of the story makes a good read, it is the kind of story that an institution is almost never going to 'defend' in public because that just opens up a legal can of worms.
As for the women's coaches hiring men ... look at the assistant coaches hired by men - Geno has three women and while he has had male heads of basketball administration I think, he has never had a male assistant. Certainly in the women's game the norm is a 'mixed' staff, but I suspect the female assistants/associates far exceed in proportion the HC M/F split.
I am not saying there isn't a problem and I certainly think mens teams would benefit by having more women involved with their coaching. But I also think it does point to the historic opportunities as professional athletes for men and the alternative career paths available to the generally better educated women that have pursued athletics in college. Dumb jock is a bad stereotype, but head to head academically the women's basketball players would blow the men's player away. So if you started with equal numbers leaving college - a higher percentage of men would be choosing 1. a professional BB career, 2. a low pay entry level position in BB admin/coaching, c. a related sport/athletic focused entry level career or job. And a much higher percentage of women would be choosing a. a graduate degree course, b. an entry level position in a field unrelated to BB or sports/athletics. And beyond the availability of more professional BB positions for men the other choices I do not think are specific to opportunity as much as options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog
Top Bottom