the Gatorade POY is; | The Boneyard

the Gatorade POY is;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What a surprise, eh.:confused:
Can't wait. All this rubbish about ND, a team built for next year, is starting to get old.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Kenny Kalina asked via Tweet yesterday, who's the better HS Player? Ann Strother or Katie Lou Samuelson.

Ann also came out of HS with similar accolades that Katie Lou is receiving. Although a good player at UConn, she wasn't the great All American that many thought she would. Ann and Katie are similar type players and we'll get to see who the better College Player will be.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Kenny Kalina asked via Tweet yesterday, who's the better HS Player? Ann Strother or Katie Lou Samuelson.

Ann also came out of HS with similar accolades that Katie Lou is receiving. Although a good player at UConn, she wasn't the great All American that many thought she would. Ann and Katie are similar type players and we'll get to see who the better College Player will be.

To me, just based on what I saw of Strother and have seen of KLS, Strother was good at a lot of things and very good at some, but not necessarily great at any one. She had what you might call a high floor. KLS seems to have more areas to work on but a higher ceiling due to some special skills.

The tweet you reference has a response from Kevin Lynch who sees things a bit differently.

https://twitter.com/KennyKallina/status/578633293236678656

Reaction Score
What a surprise, eh.:confused:
Can't wait. All this rubbish about ND, a team built for next year, is starting to get old.

Since they did not get the best player, they need to build. :)

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Ann Strother was a GREAT collegiate player. UConn was down a bit talent-wise in her last two years and she had to shoulder a lot more than her fair share.

She actually had her best stats in her senior season despite a lingering foot injury, and put the team on her back for the Big East championship games in her junior and senior seasons.

Quick, tell me which other UConn players logged over 1,600 points, 600 rebounds, 400 assists, 100 blocks and 100 steals during their college careers?

If Samuelson plays as well in college as Strother did, Geno will be very happy and UConn will be just fine.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Lou is a finalist for Gatorade Athlete of the Year:

On July 14, the 12 Gatorade National Players of the Year from the 2014-15 season will gather in Hollywood, where the 13th annual Gatorade High School Athlete of the Year award will be presented to the best overall male and female athlete.

The link contains a new highlight video of KLS.

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/gatorad...potlight-katie-lou-samuelson-girls-basketball

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Who was ranked #1 #2 and #4 during that Ann Strother game

Reaction Score
I've actually thought about Ann Strother when thinking about Katie Lou before. In the sense that, maybe Katie Lou will sorta plateau.

But I thought I read that Strother had a knee injury (ACL?) maybe early or mid HS, and although she obviously recovered, some speculated she wasn't quite the same or that it seemed to hamper the trajectory she was on as a player?

I think the big difference between Katie Lou and Strother is 3-point shooting. I don't recall that necessarily being one of Strother's specialties, whereas Katie Lou is coming in with KML-like 3-pt shooting credentials, maybe even better.

Though KML and Katie Lou are very different 3-point shooters, IMHO. To my eye, KML just has magic touch/feel while Katie Lou seems like she's very disciplined in lining up her mechanics each time. (I tend to have more faith in shooters like KML's breed, FWIW.) We've see cases where shooters sometimes lose their shot. But Katie Lou's older sis Bonnie started and finished as a consistent, good to great shooter at Stanford, so I wouldn't worry about Katie Lou.

Katie Lou is a couple inches shorter than Delle Donne, and doesn't seem to be more athletic, so I doubt we'll see her block shots, rebound, or score in the paint as well as EDD. But if she continues to shoot the 3-ball as good as she has, there's no reason she can't have just as big (albeit different) an impact overall.

Reaction Score
I've actually thought about Ann Strother when thinking about Katie Lou before. In the sense that, maybe Katie Lou will sorta plateau.

But I thought I read that Strother had a knee injury (ACL?) maybe early or mid HS, and although she obviously recovered, some speculated she wasn't quite the same or that it seemed to hamper the trajectory she was on as a player?

I think the big difference between Katie Lou and Strother is 3-point shooting. I don't recall that necessarily being one of Strother's specialties, whereas Katie Lou is coming in with KML-like 3-pt shooting credentials, maybe even better.
Strother is UCONN's 3rd all-time 3-point shooter with 290 3's (37.7% 3PT%)

Reaction Score
Ann Strother was a GREAT collegiate player. UConn was down a bit talent-wise in her last two years and she had to shoulder a lot more than her fair share.

She actually had her best stats in her senior season despite a lingering foot injury, and put the team on her back for the Big East championship games in her junior and senior seasons.

Quick, tell me which other UConn players logged over 1,600 points, 600 rebounds, 400 assists, 100 blocks and 100 steals during their college careers?

If Samuelson plays as well in college as Strother did, Geno will be very happy and UConn will be just fine.
I agree. Anyone know why Ann never comes back for a visit, or does she?

Reaction Score
I saw Katie Lou in a local 24H Fitness last Christmas time. She is tall, slender and very attractive body. Always smile.......with her beautiful face.

Reaction Score
Ann Strother was a terrific player with very little support her last year and she is third on the three point list. I would say she was a very good player.

Reaction Score

Wow, that is a surprising stat to me! Not a bad % either (for a mere mortal, aka non-KML).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought that didn't sound right. It is old info that was correct until sometime last November. Here are the top FOUR Huskies in 3-pointers made:

Kaleena 398 (NCAA record) .447

Diana 318 .392

Maya 311 .404

Ann 290 .377

Still very nice numbers for Ann. She's ranked behind only the NCAA record holder and arguably the top 2 players in the world.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Lou is about 1" taller than Ann, I believe. She may be stronger by the time she graduates. She is also a better shooter. Ann was very good. Lou is a great shooter. Ann was highly regarded, though some thought Seimone was better. I think Lou is a bit more highly decorated.

Reaction Score
I thought that didn't sound right. It is old info that was correct until sometime last November. Here are the top FOUR Huskies in 3-pointers made:

Kaleena 398 (NCAA record) .447

Diana 318 .392

Maya 311 .404

Ann 290 .377

Still very nice numbers for Ann. She's ranked behind only the NCAA record holder and arguably the top 2 players in the world.
Oops - sorry for old info. Guess 4th still makes her an 'OK' 3 pt shooter...

Reaction Score
Lou is about 1" taller than Ann, I believe. She may be stronger by the time she graduates. She is also a better shooter. Ann was very good. Lou is a great shooter. Ann was highly regarded, though some thought Seimone was better. I think Lou is a bit more highly decorated.
You're getting a little ahead of yourself aren't you? KLS hasn't taken a shot yet in college and you're saying a HS player is a better shooter than Ann.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You're getting a little ahead of yourself aren't you? KLS hasn't taken a shot yet in college and you're saying a HS player is a better shooter than Ann.
I am. I said the same thing about Kaleena 4 years ago. I also predicted that K would finish #2 or #3 in UConn career scoring. I'm not sure that Lou is a better shooter than Kaleena, but she may be close. Ann was a very good shooter. Lou could become one of the greats.

Reaction Score
She could; I hope so. But every time I see her she's wearing bandages or braces somewhere. I hope she stays healthy.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
She could; I hope so. But every time I see her she's wearing bandages or braces somewhere. I hope she stays healthy.
She will lose those. Along with the rolled up look as well, we hope.

IMHO Ann ended up a great player, but not the player us fans were expecting (it's hard to follow the whole "we have Diana and you don't" extravaganza she came into)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom