The Garden was loud | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Garden was loud

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I am guessing that it is the loudest MSG has been since the Knicks-Heat playoffs in the 90's.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Was in section 223 amidst a strong pocket of UCONN fans. There were smatterings of MSU fans around us that got frustrated with having to stand whenever the UCONN fans got up. I'd estimate 80% UCONN fans. Sparty had a good showing (more than I thought they'd have) but their cheers were quickly drowned out.

The atmosphere was epic. TV timeouts were filled with chants and dueling fanbases. The entire game was rowdy but the final 10 or so minutes were completely deafening. There were moments that MSU players looked a little unnerved in the second half. Once UCONN made their second half run, the Garden wasn't going to let UCONN lose. That was the loudest I've ever heard the Garden. Credit to Sparty fans too...but it was definitely a UCONN home game and nice redemption for 2009 Ford Field.

Reaction Score
Was in the second row of section 419. About 70% UConn fans. MSU was shooting at our basket in the 2nd half and it/we were deafening when UConn was on defense. Just got back home to Virginia and watched the replay to see if it came across as loud on the televised broadcast as it felt in the arena. Yes. Yes it did. Great job to all the UConn fans, but more importantly great job to the team! Just an amazing atmosphere.

Reaction Score
That's awesome!

As a Wharton grad you probably save every receipt. Snap a pic of the ticket stubs from all those games and send it to The Boneyard. That would be great for the Mojo!

I do have every ticket stub, but would take me days to take pics and post. I need this time to read and analyze anything and everything being spoken or written about the Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
I was impressed with all the noise from the people in green after the 3 from Payne made it 32-23 them………but that was soon to be distant moans and groans I am sure as the Huskies made that epic run and those epic fans were stirring more historic Husky noise at The Garden……

Thanks to all, it was fun to listen to and you are all deserving of this FF!!

Reaction Score
Agree with most posts. I was in sec 219, big UConn contingent, and I am not sure any of us sat down for the last ten minutes of the game. Fans slapping each other five, jumping up in joy. Simply awesome.

Reaction Score
Section 209 did not sit down. Even during timeouts most people were up. My 8 year old had a little trouble seeing, but he just kept looking at the the flat screens on the wall. It was the first sporting event I've taken him to that really mattered. I think I scared him a bit, and hit him in the head once after Giffey's dunk.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It was a great experience that started when I got to the train platform in Milford… Nothing but UCONN fans… Every stop more & more UCONN fans crowded the train… There was a nervous excitement as the train pulled into Grand Central… UCONN chants were breaking out spontaneously as Husky fans made their way out to 42nd street for the walk to MSG…

Once at the Garden, it soon became clear that this crowd was going to be a huge advantage for the men. MSU was well represented in certain areas of the arena (and extremely well behaved & classy), but the UCONN presence was dominant. The start of the game was all UCONN & the crowd was delirious. The pace of the game slowed & as MSU heated up from the 3 point line the MSU fan base became energized.

Halftime was a bit somber but the timing of the break was a positive for UCONN as MSU had seized some of the momentum. MSU kept pouring it on in the early stages of the second half as concerned husky fans hoped for a turnaround… During a timeout he upper monitors showed a picture of Mateen Cleaves in the stands & the MSU fans cheered wildly. The camera man then turned the camera to Rip Hamilton & this brought every UCONN fan to their feet. RIP stood up & waived his arms & this ignited UCONN nation & really seemed to be a turning point in the game. Shabbazz hit that huge 3 & it energized the UCONN fan base even more as the Huskies went on a nice run to take the lead that they would never give up!

The Garden stayed packed with UCONN fans for the post game ceremonies & the cutting down of the nets. A huge Kevin Ollie change broke out & the fans didn't want to leave. The giddiness continued as people left their seats & the crowd spilled out onto 34th street. It was raining but this did nothing to dampen the spirits of the Husky faithful as UCONN chant broke out throughout the entire walk back to Grand Central & onto the train back home.

By far the best UCONN game & total experience that I have ever been a part of...

Reaction Score
Chuck said:
My 8 year old had a little trouble seeing, but he just kept looking at the the flat screens on the wall. It was the first sporting event I've taken him to that really mattered. I think I scared him a bit, and hit him in the head once after Giffey's dunk.
As much as you may have scared your 8 year old, imagine the life-long UCONN memories you enjoyed together. Good on you for providing him the incredible Huskies' opportunity.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
"Intense, Loyal and Urgent" is just perfect. That's exactly what it was. 17,000+ in unison giving the finger to the realignment fat cats, the disinterested national attention and the mega fan base placating sports tabloid that is the world wide leader.

Outside the lines you can screw us and ignore us, but not within this 94 foot rectangle you can't and your going to hear every last one of us today.

Reaction Score
Duffy posted a video from press row as the game was winding down... GARDEN WAS ROCKING!

I feel so blessed to have had the opportunity to be at this game. As everyone described in this post, it was an amazing experience. I was lucky enough to be with my best friend in MSG's suite. I had to "behave" a bit more then I would have liked to, but once they started making that run in the 2nd half, we were cheering like crazy like the rest of the UConn fans.

In this video, Giffey makes the foul shot. I am not sure if anyone saw his face, but he was beeming from ear to ear and actually let out a laugh in his preshot routine. Both my buddy and I remarked, there is no way he makes this shot, he is way to hyped up. Well, he did and the rest is history.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Agree with most posts. I was in sec 219, big UConn contingent, and I am not sure any of us sat down for the last ten minutes of the game. Fans slapping each other five, jumping up in joy. Simply awesome.
I was in 219 in Friday. We told the people behind us (also UConn fans) that were did not plan to sit down. They followed suit and stood the entire game with us. Only one of our group was able to stay in NYC for yesterday's game. He lives in Brooklyn and purchased the ticket from an exceedingly-gracious-in-losing ISU fan. By and large the ISU fans were great. After MSU won early Saturday Morning. their fans were making plans to fly to Arlington. Part of me hopes they purchased non-refundable plane tickets.

I watched yesterday's game at Chicago Sams (formerly Rookies). Needless to say, we will be going back there on Saturday. Was looking for plane tickets to Arlington and the cheapest was $1/2 G (minimum) with tickets costing another $1/2 G minimum on StubHub.

Reaction Score
Was in the second row of section 419. About 70% UConn fans. MSU was shooting at our basket in the 2nd half and it/we were deafening when UConn was on defense.

I was in the first row in the same section and I hope I added to the deafening noise! I had one MSU fan sitting next to me, but she was drowned out big time in our section.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
someone get me a video of some Brimah dancing!!

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
i was in the michigan state corner (poor planning on my part) in the upper level. there were a few pockets of uconn fans in that section and we totally outclassed the msu contingent. the second half was wild, from when we pulled ahead until the end of the game. all the state fans were sitting on their hands while we were jumping around like crazy. i can't imagine what it was like over by the uconn student section.

got told to sit down by the group behind me, guess they didn't like looking at the big kemba walker "15" on my back all game.
We bought the tickets from an MSU fan so my crew was also in an MSU heavy area, section 226 to be exact. Like kobebean said about his section, there were a few pockets of UConn fans in our section, and while our numbers were much smaller, our cheering and energy was light years ahead of the MSU fans, especially in the 2nd half once UConn started the eventual game winning run.

In retrospect it was actually a lot of fun sitting in a heavy MSU section because it was like being at a road game when your team is killing it. We got to scream and cheer and chant and jump around while all the people around us were sulking and trying to figure out how it all went so wrong for their guys. It was freaking glorious. The numerous U-C-O-N-N chants at the end of the game were bone chillingly amazing. I can only imagine how those chants pierced the souls of the MSU fans near us. The only downside was with MSU blowing it at the end of the game the MSU fans didn't really stand up until about 1:30 left in the game, so we had to do a lot of late game sitting.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
In my lifetime I am lucky enough to have been to (and Im estimating here) at least 250 events in the garden for some historic stuff too. Including a string of BE tourneys from 90 to 2011.

Sunday at the Garden was top 3 in loud garden crowds Ive been a part of. Louder than any BET (2002 was close though)

Here are my top 4 MSG loud crowd moments
I cant order them but they are separated from the rest

Sunday vs. MSU
1983 Jimmy Snuka jumping off top of Steel Cage against Don Muraco
1994 Stanley Cup Final Game 7
10/11/1983 Grateful Dead (specifically when they played St Stephen for the first time in 5 years. the roar was incredible)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom