The GA Show: The Coaches | The Boneyard

The GA Show: The Coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Recorded it a few days ago and just took it in. Interesting stuff and sorta like watching folks in their living room just chatting. A great comfort and rapport there. But at the end they were talking about head on head play and who you feel bad about beating and CD and Geno are saying how bad they feel about beating Jamelle's team. Geno proceeds to make a remark about how that would be the same for whatever team Shea goes on to coach and the camera immediately shifts to Shea and she has this look on her face like she is about to throw up! It is like there is this cartoon balloon over her head and she's thinking: Oh God, he doesn't see me as a possible successor. @#%$&*%#!! Was sorta painful to see actually.

Earlier in the show CD said some things about there being a next step in her life and sophisticate/subtle lady that she is, she could have been making a veiled reference to succession.

Cool show. Shea's reaction though was disquieting.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Link?

It will probably replay on SNY but I have no link. Sorry. While we are talking: The stricken look on Shea's face was something. It is hard to believe that she has coached this long with Geno without having a couple of discussions about Quo Vadis. Maybe her reaction was a reaction to the remark in contrast to their private discussions. I would hate to lose Shea over her misinterpretation of on air remarks and she does not strike me as someone who would build decisions on inferences from such things. I do see her as a viable candidate for Geno's successor whether she goes off to be a head coach at some middlin' school or not.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I don't have access to SYN so I didn's see Shea's reaction. Just speculating here but maybe she was thinking "Wow, Geno thinks I'm going to be able to coach my own team soon - he hasn't told me that before". Or maybe something she ate didn't agree with her and she was stiffling a burp. I think it's usually pretty hard to read into a glimpse of someone's face.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Watch out for Marissa

From a very far outsider: Marissa is in CDs shadow and that is a tall shadow. I figure Geno to favor a guard type coach for his successor, but it is a long way off and lots could happen...and who is to say that Geno will have the key vote on his successor.

Reaction Score
Another possibility is that she was looking into a couple of head coach possibilities and she was shocked that Geno knew...

Reaction Score
Or that a couple of schools have requested permission to talk to her and she was shocked that he thought she might even consider leaving...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don't have access to SYN so I didn's see Shea's reaction. Just speculating here but maybe she was thinking "Wow, Geno thinks I'm going to be able to coach my own team soon - he hasn't told me that before". Or maybe something she ate didn't agree with her and she was stiffling a burp. I think it's usually pretty hard to read into a glimpse of someone's face.

Other than divining the entrails of a slaughtered animal or reading the cast of a handful of finger bones with 6 or 7 other severely deformed troglodytes on top of a cairn at midnight in the middle of a lightning storm (did I mention the lashing rain) what can we do! :(

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That show is a rerun from last year so 'water under the bridge' as far as immediate reactions of those involved. I thought the look was a reflection of the feeling of when she was at Pitt as an assistant and getting pounded each year by Geno (and now being on the pounding side when Jamelle comes to town) and not a reaction to her being elsewhere or not being at Uconn.
I really do think Uconn coaching job post Geno goes to either CD or another head coach. I just don't see an assistant getting the reigns of the premier WCBB team. So if that is Shea's goal in life, I think she needs to leave in the next few years and run her own program. That is also why I think of his coaching tree, Jen is best positioned - run her own program for a long time with moderate success, good success running USA basketball teams and working with the type of players Uconn looks to recruit. No question it is a step up as it would be for most head coaches.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Other than divining the entrails of a slaughtered animal or reading the cast of a handful of finger bones with 6 or 7 other severely deformed troglodytes on top of a cairn at midnight in the middle of a lightning storm (did I mention the lashing rain) what can we do! :(
Tea leaves, mebbe?

Reaction Score
That show is a rerun from last year so 'water under the bridge' as far as immediate reactions of those involved. I thought the look was a reflection of the feeling of when she was at Pitt as an assistant and getting pounded each year by Geno (and now being on the pounding side when Jamelle comes to town) and not a reaction to her being elsewhere or not being at Uconn.
I really do think Uconn coaching job post Geno goes to either CD or another head coach. I just don't see an assistant getting the reigns of the premier WCBB team. So if that is Shea's goal in life, I think she needs to leave in the next few years and run her own program. That is also why I think of his coaching tree, Jen is best positioned - run her own program for a long time with moderate success, good success running USA basketball teams and working with the type of players Uconn looks to recruit. No question it is a step up as it would be for most head coaches.
CD is leaving when Geno does. They are just about the same age, and she has said as much. I think Geno considers leaving at the end of his five year contract, and probably re-ups for one last 2 to maybe 3 year go around before calling it quits. Enjoy Geno and Co. while we've got 'em, because eventually we'll face the same situation as Tennessee, to what degree depends on a lot of things. When they do leave, I doubt they will just disappear from the program. As to who follows is anyone's guess, but Rizzotti would seemingly be in the driver's seat as I can't imagine they seriously entertain someone from outside the UConn family when there are qualified candidates from within.

Reaction Score
No way he leaves after this contract,but the next one Ok... Pats record and Wooden's record ,then poof, he's gone

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Perhaps he ment that Shea will be coaching before he retires. I really think he said it without thinking. Geno is what 60, with a 5 year contract. I don't think he is going anywhere for a while. I really have to wonder if Shea will stick around for 5-8 years and not take a head coaching job to gain experience. Look at some of the asst coaches who never had a head coaching job who inherited a head coaching job and are struggleing.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I didn't take Shea's reaction as all that negative or off putting.

Reaction Score
Why on Earth would Shea not consider taking a coaching job elsewhere? How would getting experience running your own program hurt her for a possible head coaching job with UCONN. I think it would help if she was successful. Spread your wings and fly back home if necessary.

69 TO GO

Reaction Score
I've watched it a couple of times but didn't notice a reaction from her.

Head coaching jobs seem to be pretty high risk these days especially for the pros. WNBA coaches get canned right and left if they don't win. Maybe colleges aren't that bad.

She seems to be in a safe place right now. I think she may have said something like that in the show.

Reaction Score

ROCK - damn, that sounds great...let's give it a shot.....I'll meet ya on top of the cairn (just lemme know which one).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom