The Forgotten Recruit ... | The Boneyard

The Forgotten Recruit ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

(haven't seen this before. sorry-poor quality video)

What really struck me is the arc of her shots. She really gets under the ball and most of her shots really have a really sweet and high trajectory! She may be a surprise to a lot of Boneyarders insofar as what she does throughout her time in Storrs. I'm getting more excited by the minute about this incoming freshman class. Spectacular and may be the best yet, though that's a serious challenge, isn't it?????

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
1998 - Bird, Cash, Jones, Williams, Walters
2000 - Taurasi, Moore, Battle, Conlon, MValley
2011 - KML, Stokes, Banks
2012 - Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck
2015 - Samuelson, Collier, Boykin

In about 4 years will be able to rank them all. :D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
DJB has good height and a lanky athleticism. I don't think she had great coaching in high school, so the UConn staff should be able to mold her. She's a good teammate, perhaps too unselfish. From what I can see, she should be good to very good. Napheesa and Lou seem to be at another level from DJB and most of the rest of the 2015 kids (Durr being an exception).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
2008- Elena Delle Donne
Caroline Doty
Tiffany Hayes
Heather Buck

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1998 - Bird, Cash, Jones, Williams, Walters
2000 - Taurasi, Moore, Battle, Conlon, MValley
2011 - KML, Stokes, Banks
2012 - Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck
2015 - Samuelson, Collier, Boykin

In about 4 years will be able to rank them all. :D
What was Conlon's ranked coming out of high school? Whenever I think of her, I always think of the Geno line, "well she may be short, but she's also slow."

Last edited:

HGN

Reaction Score
Saw DJB play. She didn't have the best coaching in HS nor the best supporting talent. Stop her and you stop the team. She clearly WAS the team. I am certain Geno and staff will improve her game and skillset. From what I have seen of KLS and Collier they are more polished at this point . But DJB is in a good position to make the biggest jump.

The incoming class is an outstanding one. And DJB could be the surprise . Whether you include Butler in the class or not.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What was Conlon ranked coming out of high school? Whenever I think of her, I always think of the Geno line, "well she may be short, but she's also slow."
#65 by Bluestar. (DT was #2)

Reaction Score
Geesh! Can we at least get De'Janae in a UCONN uniform before we start "forgetting" about her. It's not like we had a class before with 3 high caliber recruits and all 3 turn out to be special.

In light of the feverish conversations about the new kids and all the starting lineup speculations posted here, exactly when was the last time you heard anybody talking (excitedly or not) about De'Janae Boykin?? Honest answer: pretty much never. Katie Lou and Napheesa, not surprisingly, have captured all the attention, De'Janae none.

It will be a daunting challenge (given her wrist injury), but I hope De'Janae shocks all those who have apparently forgotten (yes, forgotten, Coco) her significant accomplishments and skills, and she makes them feel silly for having completely overlooked her as a talented contributor to next year's team. As I believe she will be.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In light of the feverish conversations about the new kids and all the starting lineup speculations posted here, exactly when was the last time you heard anybody talking (excitedly or not) about De'Janae Boykin?? Honest answer: pretty much never. Katie Lou and Napheesa, not surprisingly, have captured all the attention, De'Janae none.

I think the lack of attention paid to her is primarily because of her injury, there wasn't a string of local articles posted about her during the season because she didn't play. Obviously it would be better had she not been injured, but on the bright side she will have the ability to wow people that the other recruits won't have because they face such high expectations. And perhaps by sitting out the year she will have picked up fewer bad habits that Geno needs to correct which means she could have a relatively easier time finding her way into games. I look forward to getting more coverage of her throughout the year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

It will be a daunting challenge (given her wrist injury), but I hope De'Janae shocks all those who have apparently forgotten (yes, forgotten, Coco) her significant accomplishments and skills, and she makes them feel silly for having completely overlooked her as a talented contributor to next year's team. As I believe she will be.
Overlooked might have been a better word then-not that I want to be the word police. The other conversations largely centered around who was going to be the 5th starter and in those conversation De'Janae was not mentioned. Could De'Janae be 5th starter? Possible but we did not give her enough consideration. Even if she is not the 5th starter she can still contribute greatly to the team. I believe as you do, that De'Janae will contribute. I never forgot about her and I don't think others did either.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Overlooked might have been a better word then-not that I want to be the word police. The other conversations largely centered around who was going to be the 5th starter and in those conversation De'Janae was not mentioned. Could De'Janae be 5th starter? Possible but we did not give her enough consideration. Even if she is not the 5th starter she can still contribute greatly to the team. I believe as you do, that De'Janae will contribute. I never forgot about her and I don't think others did either.

Coco...not much of a mention, but she was referenced in my OP... ;)

"5. Other players give Geno flexibility off the bench – Imagine a buffet where they just don’t bring more food to replace what is eaten, but instead bring different and more exciting dishes. Gabby off the bench gives Geno instant energy, points (316) and offensive rebounding (79, 2nd on the team). Saniya gives either MoJeff or Kia a deserved break at guard (only 41 turnovers in 723 minutes). Katie Lou fresh off the bench can score and score. Can you say "instant offense." Napheesa is a match up nightmare for a slower forward or shorter guard. Boykin is a grinder underneath and the perfect sub for Morgan Tuck. Healthy, Ekmark is another threat at the 3 arc. Tired opponents are going to die when Geno starts mixing and matching off the bench."

I agree she is under the radar, but will contribute, surprise and become a valuable team player, soon enough... :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom