The Focus is still Number 9 in Nashville | The Boneyard

The Focus is still Number 9 in Nashville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Wow not just KML but Morgan too. This is a big blow at a time when our schedule is full of top teams MD, Penn St, Ohio St, Duke and Cal. You know what thank goodness we still have 3 All Americans in Stef Stewie and Bria(yeah Bria) and thank goodness this happened early in the season and not late in the season. Lets just hope they both come back strong so they can help us win another NC and this one in Tenn. Im sure some of our orange friends are thinking wow UConn has some major injuries we have a chance to win number 9. Im thinking that's exactly what they're thinking and they will be disappointed again.
My only concern is our short bench. We need are stars to shine and now they are almost forced into doing so. We now will have some competitive games. We will see what we're made of and I think we will surprise a lot of teams with how good we still are without KML and Morgan. We will get stronger because of this. Our defense is tops and I don't see that changing much. You know a lot of teams are licking their chops thinking we can beat UConn now. That's good because they don't really understand how good UConn still is. Not many teams have a Stef Bria and Breanna to go to. This will be a learning and growing experience for Kiah BB and Saniya to grow up faster.

Let me remind you of last season. Opponets didn't guard Kelly and let her shoot, Caroline was gimpy, BB has an ACL, Morgan was hurt, Bria was hurt, Stef had foot problems, Mojeff and Stewie were inexperienced frosh and we only lost to 2 teams and had a one seed. Stop worrying we're better this season right now then we were last season with all our troubles. Last season we got healthy at the end of the season. That's what we need to do this season.
Some of you are think we might not go undefeated? That's right we might not now. I should say it might not be as easy of a cake walk if KML and Morgan don't come back but we still could, we do have the horses to do it. Many of you are thinking what if they don't come back strong? That's possible too. There are a lot of things that can happen throughout the season but remember this we still have Stef Bria and Breanna and they can put up some big numbers. I really expect UConn as a team to step it up big time. Breanna is a game changer most teams don't have a game changer. We saw what they all can do in the USA games. The rest of the ride this season may be bumpy but the focus is still number 9 in Tenn and lets not forget that.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It's still a terrific team, absolutely first-class, the only real concerns are
1. fouls
2. further injury or illness
but player to player, it's hard to handicap against us.

As Maryland will find out on Friday.

Reaction Score
The reason I felt early last year that Uconn would finally prevail over Baylor was because they had more deptha and thus more balance. I always mention "Match ups" and "Timing" as two very important variables in determining a teams success. Depth is an important mitigating factor in both of those variables, especially when it comes to the variable of Timing. Injuries effect depth and that cuts down the wiggle room a team has in dealing with other variable factors such as fouls, subpar games by other team members, great games by the opposition etc. Uconn is still a strong team, however the loss of both Tuck and KML has definitely diminished some of the wiggle room that they possessed before those injuries occurred. It makes the team far more susceptible to the vicissitudes of fortune. Of course a the main factor will be the recovery time needed for the both of them which is still up in the air.

While Uconn, because of their depth and balance, is more able to weather losses like these, some other teams are only an injury or two away from seeing their entire seasons hopes dashed. Teams that lack depth and balance and rely purely on one or two players to carry them. I think we all know who they are.

Reaction Score
Wow not just KML but Morgan too. This is a big blow at a time when our schedule is full of top teams MD, Penn St, Ohio St, Duke and Cal. You know what thank goodness we still have 3 All Americans in Stef Stewie and Bria(yeah Bria) and thank goodness this happened early in the season and not late in the season. Lets just hope they both come back strong so they can help us win another NC and this one in Tenn. Im sure some of our orange friends are thinking wow UConn has some major injuries we have a chance to win number 9. Im thinking that's exactly what they're thinking and they will be disappointed again.
My only concern is our short bench. We need are stars to shine and now they are almost forced into doing so. We now will have some competitive games. We will see what we're made of and I think we will surprise a lot of teams with how good we still are without KML and Morgan. We will get stronger because of this. Our defense is tops and I don't see that changing much. You know a lot of teams are licking their chops thinking we can beat UConn now. That's good because they don't really understand how good UConn still is. Not many teams have a Stef Bria and Breanna to go to. This will be a learning and growing experience for Kiah BB and Saniya to grow up faster.

Let me remind you of last season. Opponets didn't guard Kelly and let her shoot, Caroline was gimpy, BB has an ACL, Morgan was hurt, Bria was hurt, Stef had foot problems, Mojeff and Stewie were inexperienced frosh and we only lost to 2 teams and had a one seed. Stop worrying we're better this season right now then we were last season with all our troubles. Last season we got healthy at the end of the season. That's what we need to do this season.
Some of you are think we might not go undefeated? That's right we might not now. I should say it might not be as easy of a cake walk if KML and Morgan don't come back but we still could, we do have the horses to do it. Many of you are thinking what if they don't come back strong? That's possible too. There are a lot of things that can happen throughout the season but remember this we still have Stef Bria and Breanna and they can put up some big numbers. I really expect UConn as a team to step it up big time. Breanna is a game changer most teams don't have a game changer. We saw what they all can do in the USA games. The rest of the ride this season may be bumpy but the focus is still number 9 in Tenn and lets not forget that.

well, this orange friend really hopes they get better soon. TN has been devastated by injuries over the past few seasons, and it is horrible for the team and the crazy fans. in reality, i think this will force the others to step up and UCONN will be even stronger after the storm clears. i still think UCONN is the favorite. geno can coach with a short bench. they just have to keep their fouls down and hope everyone else stays healthy.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
What depth, is everyone looking thru blue colored glasses? This team is void of depth and as of today what depth there is, is unproven. Only time will tell.

Kiah has one good game, and all of a sudden we're expecting for it to continue. She's had good games before and then next game she was a no show. Kiah in 24 minutes of play against Hartford scored two points with seven rebounds. Against Stanford Kiah was a key reason on why the team won by double digits. She was key when Stewie and Morgan were on the bench with foul trouble. Which Kiah will show up. one that has up and down games or a player that the team can rely on almost having a double/double in points and rebounds in each game.

Banks in two games has not shown that she back to the level she was prior to her injury. In 30 minutes of play in the two games played she scored three points and they were in the Hartford game. She was ineffective in the Stanford game in her eight minutes of play. Will she, in her third game, all of a sudden be at her pre-injury level, when she hasn't demonstrated to date. Unlikely, but we'll see.

Saniya has scored 14 points in her 40 minutes of play. I have been impressed with how she doesn't try to do to much and plays with a calmness that will help the team. She did hit two big three point shots when the team needed them against Stanford and then went 0-3 to finish the game 2-5 shooting. Will Saniya be able to handle the pressure of taking 15+ shots a game and somehow average approx 15 points a game. Time will tell.

Most in the media and some fans are speculating that Kiah starts in place of KML. While I don't think so, I'll go on the premise. Maryland and PSU will do everything they can do to get Stewie and Stef into foul trouble. If that happens then all of a sudden the players on the floor are Kiah, Chong, Banks, Hartley and Jefferson. What happens if Kiah also gets into foul trouble, then Geno adds a walk-on to the lineup. Is that lineup going to scare anyone? Can that team if forced to play major minutes against Maryland and PSU, win a game, I don't think so.

Now do I think that this team can beat Maryland and PSU, yes I do. However, some things need to happen (1) Stewie and Stef cannot get into serious foul trouble and both have to play 30+ minutes. (2) Stewie needs to play like she did during the Final Four (3) Kiah needs to play like she did in the Stanford game. (4) Chong and/or Banks need to score in double digits.

Recruiting, Recruiting, Recruiting. There's no plausible reason for the #1 Coach with the #1 WBB program to only have 9 Players on Scholarship. All other elite teams manage to have 13+ players on scholarship with most having 15. Yet, we're expected to believe because Geno has 5 strong players with two that graduate next year, that Geno is unable to convince players to come to UConn to win a National Championship. I'll accept it would have been difficult to get elite players who want to immediately start, but even some of these players would realize they may not start right away. BTW Linnae Harper rated as one of the Top Guards is coming off the bench for Kentucky and averaging 13 minutes a game. Some said she didn't want to come to UConn because she wouldn't start right away. Obviously there was another reason. I never bought the not starting reason for her or many other players, as Geno has a reputation of playing his bench major minutes as long as they practice hard. I'll continue to say Geno is great at getting his fair share of the elite players and in some years its the #1 recruit and that has enable him to win 8 National Championships. What Geno and the coaching staff has not been great at is getting the role players in sufficient numbers to offset injuries when they happen. If he had, he probably would have 10 plus National Championships.

Geno has said the team will be stronger at the end of the year, because of these injuries. I believe that with the caveat that both KML & Morgan are able to play up to their full level before the end of the year. If not, the road to the National Championship will be extremely difficult.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
WBBfan

Your points are well taken especially regarding recruiting

But for the Stanford game we started 4 potential all-Americans, Stanford started 2
One of ours went down, 1 had a sub-par game, Steff did better than the stat sheet (CD) and Bria lit up the night.
And so the game came down to reserves and ours were much better than their's.

In many ways an anomalous game, not dominated by our 2 remaining, leading players (Bria excepted).

If Maryland and Penn State are expecting that scenario to play out again, they are perhaps in for a rude awakening.

Much more likely that at least 1 additional of our 3 superstars goes off big time.

And if all three play up (or even close) to their ability it's no contest and that goes for any team in the country.

Of course fouls and further decimation can alter that.

But Thomas could get into foul trouble too…as she did in the first game.

A betting man would still much rather be in Geno's shoes.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if you remove the combined 40 minutes of Morgan and KML and their 20 points of scoring if UConn wins the game against Stanford. They might have as hopefully someone else would have scored some of the points that Morgan and KML did. However, without KML in the game more attention would have been paid to Bria, and maybe she doesn't score 20 points. I don't think Stanford should have been ranked #3 and IMHO they were only ranked that high because of Chiney. Even with Morgan and KML playing, I think Maryland would have been a tougher game, especially on their home court. Now because of home court advantage and UConn not playing a game between Morgan & KML declared not available, I give an edge to Maryland to win the game.

WBBfan

But for the Stanford game we started 4 potential all-Americans, Stanford started 2
One of ours went down, 1 had a sub-par game, Steff did better than the stat sheet (CD) and Bria lit up the night.

In many ways an anomalous game, not dominated by our 2 remaining, leading players (Bria excepted).

If Maryland and Penn State are expecting that scenario to play out again, they are perhaps in for a rude awakening.

Much more likely that at least 1 additional of our 3 superstars goes off big time.

And if all three play up (or even close) to their ability it's no contest and that goes for any team in the country.

Reaction Score
Couldn't disagree more wbbfan. We're still 8 to 10 pts better than MD even on the road IMO. MD would be foolish to build a game plan around getting players in foul trouble. Sometimes it works but usually it just takes you out of your own game. What happens to MD if Thomas gets in foul trouble?

If you just match uo our 1 thru 7 with theirs we are clearly superior especially at #2 and #3 (AA vs not AA). 8 or 9 times out of 10, 1 thru 7 are all that matter. Of course I'm concerned that this might one of those other times. But that hardly makes MD a favorite.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Foolish game plan to go after Stewie and Stef to get them into foul trouble. I think not, there's a huge drop off in scoring and rebounding potential if Stewie and Stef are on the bench. KML is already a huge loss and its already questionable where her points are going to come from and if I can eliminate one of the other major scoring threats, I do it in a heartbeat. Even if its only one on the bench, that allows Maryland to double team the one that is playing to limit their touches. If I'm Maryland I go after Stewie & Stef from the start and only change the strategy when I'm unable to get them into foul trouble or UConn has found away to offset the strategy.

Couldn't disagree more wbbfan. We're still 8 to 10 pts better than MD even on the road IMO. MD would be foolish to build a game plan around getting players in foul trouble. Sometimes it works but usually it just takes you out of your own game. What happens to MD if Thomas gets in foul trouble?

If you just match uo our 1 thru 7 with theirs we are clearly superior especially at #2 and #3 (AA vs not AA). 8 or 9 times out of 10, 1 thru 7 are all that matter. Of course I'm concerned that this might one of those other times. But that hardly makes MD a favorite.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
I agree that there are a lot more unknowns now and foul trouble is going to be big issue. It is also worth noting that, IMHO, after the first of the year, they only have three games (Baylor and 2 Louisville (maybe two more if you count UCF)) that should give them any contest unless they have a malaise or two like against past games against St. Johns. I doubt they will go winless against MD, PSU, Duke, Cal and Ohio State. So in my estimation, the worst the injuries would cost them until March would be going from a one seed to a two seed. Hopefully, both should be back by then. This assumes that there aren't any additional injuries.

That all being said, the thread title about focus on #9 caught my attention. I find, curiously, that at this moment, I am more concerned/focused about #3 and #23. I think I would rather have them healthy than a #9. Perhaps that is the parent in me coming out. It will be interesting no matter what happens. No free beer or bacon needed for me.

Reaction Score
So in my estimation, the worst the injuries would cost them until March would be going from a one seed to a two seed. Hopefully, both should be back by then. This assumes that there aren't any additional injuries.
If there are no more injuries UConn will NOT drop to a #2 seed. Period.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
If there are no more injuries UConn will NOT drop to a #2 seed. Period.

It wouldn't worry me if we did go to a #2. As long as KML and Mo Tuck are back, I still like our chances to go all the way.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
WBBfan

Michael - is this really you?? Love the new outlook on life and basketball! Not being snarky - just enjoying your posts, for real. :)

Reaction Score
What depth, is everyone looking thru blue colored glasses? This team is void of depth and as of today what depth there is, is unproven. Only time will tell.

Kiah has one good game, and all of a sudden we're expecting for it to continue. She's had good games before and then next game she was a no show. Kiah in 24 minutes of play against Hartford scored two points with seven rebounds. Against Stanford Kiah was a key reason on why the team won by double digits. She was key when Stewie and Morgan were on the bench with foul trouble. Which Kiah will show up. one that has up and down games or a player that the team can rely on almost having a double/double in points and rebounds in each game.

Banks in two games has not shown that she back to the level she was prior to her injury. In 30 minutes of play in the two games played she scored three points and they were in the Hartford game. She was ineffective in the Stanford game in her eight minutes of play. Will she, in her third game, all of a sudden be at her pre-injury level, when she hasn't demonstrated to date. Unlikely, but we'll see.

Saniya has scored 14 points in her 40 minutes of play. I have been impressed with how she doesn't try to do to much and plays with a calmness that will help the team. She did hit two big three point shots when the team needed them against Stanford and then went 0-3 to finish the game 2-5 shooting. Will Saniya be able to handle the pressure of taking 15+ shots a game and somehow average approx 15 points a game. Time will tell.

Most in the media and some fans are speculating that Kiah starts in place of KML. While I don't think so, I'll go on the premise. Maryland and PSU will do everything they can do to get Stewie and Stef into foul trouble. If that happens then all of a sudden the players on the floor are Kiah, Chong, Banks, Hartley and Jefferson. What happens if Kiah also gets into foul trouble, then Geno adds a walk-on to the lineup. Is that lineup going to scare anyone? Can that team if forced to play major minutes against Maryland and PSU, win a game, I don't think so.

Now do I think that this team can beat Maryland and PSU, yes I do. However, some things need to happen (1) Stewie and Stef cannot get into serious foul trouble and both have to play 30+ minutes. (2) Stewie needs to play like she did during the Final Four (3) Kiah needs to play like she did in the Stanford game. (4) Chong and/or Banks need to score in double digits.

Recruiting, Recruiting, Recruiting. There's no plausible reason for the #1 Coach with the #1 WBB program to only have 9 Players on Scholarship. All other elite teams manage to have 13+ players on scholarship with most having 15. Yet, we're expected to believe because Geno has 5 strong players with two that graduate next year, that Geno is unable to convince players to come to UConn to win a National Championship. I'll accept it would have been difficult to get elite players who want to immediately start, but even some of these players would realize they may not start right away. BTW Linnae Harper rated as one of the Top Guards is coming off the bench for Kentucky and averaging 13 minutes a game. Some said she didn't want to come to UConn because she wouldn't start right away. Obviously there was another reason. I never bought the not starting reason for her or many other players, as Geno has a reputation of playing his bench major minutes as long as they practice hard. I'll continue to say Geno is great at getting his fair share of the elite players and in some years its the #1 recruit and that has enable him to win 8 National Championships. What Geno and the coaching staff has not been great at is getting the role players in sufficient numbers to offset injuries when they happen. If he had, he probably would have 10 plus National Championships.

Geno has said the team will be stronger at the end of the year, because of these injuries. I believe that with the caveat that both KML & Morgan are able to play up to their full level before the end of the year. If not, the road to the National Championship will be extremely difficult.

Reaction Score
Foolish game plan to go after Stewie and Stef to get them into foul trouble. I think not, there's a huge drop off in scoring and rebounding potential if Stewie and Stef are on the bench. KML is already a huge loss and its already questionable where her points are going to come from and if I can eliminate one of the other major scoring threats, I do it in a heartbeat. Even if its only one on the bench, that allows Maryland to double team the one that is playing to limit their touches. If I'm Maryland I go after Stewie & Stef from the start and only change the strategy when I'm unable to get them into foul trouble or UConn has found away to offset the strategy.

I am in agreement. As good as Stewart is, she has a tendency to disappear- either she is primetime or she is not. That was the thing we didn't want to see this year. Let us hope that she too is beyond that practice. I don't think that a major program like Maryland will have a fouling strategy, but forcing certain people to play defense in certain areas could cause fouls. I am more with your first remark regarding recruitment. I have said similar things. For ex. I think programs like ND, Duke, Tenn., Ken. etc, are loaded with v.good middle of the pack players. We do not get them. Why? It is hopeless to speculate but we may have been lucky to get Chong- had we not gotten that lone recruit we would be looking at more walk-ons. I feel v.good about walk-ons because you never know. A player may have put the sneakers away for college only to change her mind after reading a message board.

Reaction Score
These injuries mean that the healthy players MUST perform. Instead of being pulled when they don't play well, they'll have to stay on the court and fight through it. I think it'll be a great -- and important-- lesson. Stewart will have to battle through poor play that would otherwise get her sitting beside CD.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score

There is no plausible reason that UConn only has 9 scholarship players? Of course there is, it's called transfers. The 2010 class was a 5-person class, but Samarie Walker, Michala Johnson, and Lauren Engeln all transferred. With them in the fold, there is no way UConn is worried about playing unproven walk-ons in competitive game situations.

Maybe Geno's experience with Michala and Lauren soured him on taking "role players." There is no doubt that Geno casts a much smaller net than many other elite programs. Geno looks at far more than just talent, as he recognizes the importance of a recruit's 'team' concept and a player's coachability. Muffet learned that lesson the hard way when she recruited Michelle Marciniak.

If KML and Tuck are back and healthy at the end of the season, of course UConn will be a stronger team than before the injuries from the Stanford game. The minutes the other players receive should accelerate their development and make them realize how much they are needed.

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Yes, Transfers happen at all schools and other schools manage to overcome them in subsequent recruiting classes. Geno had two recruiting cycles to replace Samarie and one for Lauren and Michaela. I've been criticized before when I said Geno's and the Coaching Staff's involvement with the Sr. National Team impacted their ability to recruit last year. IMHO a signing class of one player leads credence to my beliefs. Was it the only factor definitely not, but it did contribute. When accepting the coaching position for the 2016 Sr Team, he did say there would be less involvement by his UConn's Coaching Staff. I wonder why that is. BTW, I think its a great honor for Geno and UConn for him to coach the Sr. Team, but to think it doesn't have some impact on his UConn responsibilities is Naive. Does it help in recruiting that he's the Sr Team Head Coach, some say it does, but I'm not sure. It didn't help last years recruiting class. If I'm all wet in my theory about Geno coaching the Sr. Team impacting recruiting, then I still say no plausible reason for UConn to only have 9 players on scholarship.

There is no plausible reason that UConn only has 9 scholarship players? Of course there is, it's called transfers. The 2010 class was a 5-person class, but Samarie Walker, Michala Johnson, and Lauren Engeln all transferred. With them in the fold, there is no way UConn is worried about playing unproven walk-ons in competitive game situations.

Maybe Geno's experience with Michala and Lauren soured him on taking "role players." There is no doubt that Geno casts a much smaller net than many other elite programs. Geno looks at far more than just talent, as he recognizes the importance of a recruit's 'team' concept and a player's coachability. Muffet learned that lesson the hard way when she recruited Michelle Marciniak.

If KML and Tuck are back and healthy at the end of the season, of course UConn will be a stronger team than before the injuries from the Stanford game. The minutes the other players receive should accelerate their development and make them realize how much they are needed.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Michael - is this really you?? Love the new outlook on life and basketball! Not being snarky - just enjoying your posts, for real. :)

Thanks, but I don't think my outlook has changed,
just calls it the way I see it.
Hard not to love the potential of this group
Terribly nervous about the thin bench for tonight.
But my mind tells me that there are three or four of the best in the woman's game on our side
And I should just relax and enjoy.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn is a very disciplined team with a terrific defense and they play smart team ball. I still think we win by double digits.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Thanks, but I don't think my outlook has changed,
just calls it the way I see it.
Hard not to love the potential of this group
Terribly nervous about the thin bench for tonight.
But my mind tells me that there are three or four of the best in the woman's game on our side
And I should just relax and enjoy.

Take deep breaths and all will be fine. Sort of like Monday, first ten minutes may be brutal for both sides....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom