The Existential Question to be Answered First | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Existential Question to be Answered First

Reaction Score
Things are set today but what if teams leave the ACC? Not impossible. Big 10 might want a couple, SEC might want a couple. UCONN basketball and a rising football program and regional rivalries would look attractive.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
In case you didn’t notice we didn’t have an invitation anywhere else to turn down, and the AAC was an anchor around our necks. The moment we have an invite to ACC, then off we go. That last part is tricky though.
Don't even bother better off talking to a rock

Reaction Score
We need to win football games to get into a P5. If we do, we will be a prime candidate as more changes occur. There is no reason for us to be in the AAC. We can schedule well as an independent and we can get paid for our success by improving our exclusive TV deal. In the meantime, we can recruit well in basketball from the Big East and contend for Final Fours, which will help paint a string overall picture. Same goes for the women

The issue we have is that we’ve been terrible in football. It isn’t that basketball doesn’t matter in realignment, it does, but only in conjunction with good football. Basketball is a huge bonus to go along with a solid football program.

There is not one good reason to think football needs the AAC for realignment. We have a good schedule, better TV coverage and we are just starting to pull in better recruits, which Edsall credited to our exclusive TV deal making all games available to the player’s families across the country.

Reaction Score
The can’t do attitude is staggering. People that see opportunity rather than only risk need to be in charge.
It's people being emotionally weak. Can't handle pain; over a stupid game, of all things.

These people should clamor for a quidditch or bowling program. Or a fully "inclusive" women's track and field program.

Reaction Score
The can’t do attitude is staggering. People that see opportunity rather than only risk need to be in charge.
That’s exactly how I feel - that can’t do attitude led us to the Big East. Instead of throwing support to football which, once again, drives the bus.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's people being emotionally weak. Can't handle pain
This is like the start of the monologue of every psychotic in every movie I’ve ever seen. “Don’t you see? People are emotionally weak. Can’t handle pain….”

Reaction Score
Would you rather play:

Utah State
CCSU
Cuse
Michigan
NC State
Fresno
FIU
Ball State
BC
Liberty
Army
UMass(?)

or

Utah State
CCSU
Fresno
Liberty
ECU
Memphis
Navy
USF
SMU
Temple
Tulane
Tulsa

I will take the former. All these people complaining about not being in the AAC don't make any sense when we get a better schedule out of independence.

Reaction Score
Would you rather play:

Utah State
CCSU
Cuse
Michigan
NC State
Fresno
FIU
Ball State
BC
Liberty
Army
UMass(?)

or

Utah State
CCSU
Fresno
Liberty
ECU
Memphis
Navy
USF
SMU
Temple
Tulane
Tulsa

I will take the former. All these people complaining about not being in the AAC don't make any sense when we get a better schedule out of independence.
I think you are missing the point. Nobody is touting the AAC as the SEC East, people who point out how dumb the move to the NBE was do so because UCONNs chances of joining a power 5 are gone.

Reaction Score
I think you are missing the point. Nobody is touting the AAC as the SEC East, people who point out how dumb the move to the NBE was do so because UCONNs chances of joining a power 5 are gone.
why are they gone now but weren't before? going 0-12 independent or AAC won't get us into a power conference. going 12-0 as an independent or in the AAC would vastly increase our chances. I don't see what has changed as far as power conference admissions go

Reaction Score
Sell your strengths:
1. FBS Program
2. Public Ivy, Top 25 Public State Flagship
3. High APR and graduation rates

These should be major positives for recruiting and conference affiliation.
Only in a meritocracy.

Reaction Score
why are they gone now but weren't before? going 0-12 independent or AAC won't get us into a power conference. going 12-0 as an independent or in the AAC would vastly increase our chances. I don't see what has changed as far as power conference admissions go

Exactly, we all have common sense, but we don’t all use it. I like how people speak on things with no facts behind it. “UConn’s chances of joining a power 5 are gone” <— no facts. Moorhead is not coming here <— no facts. Will we get a p5 offer? Who knows maybe we get an invite next round.

CL82

Reaction Score
Why?

Reaction Score
Why?
Because I don’t think AD or BoT has any interest in lobbying for an invite. I say this based on Benedict’s own words and the fact that in a horrible economic climate UCONN elected to pay a 17 million dollar buyout to join NBE

Reaction Score
Because I don’t think AD or BoT has any interest in lobbying for an invite. I say this based on Benedict’s own words and the fact that in a horrible economic climate UCONN elected to pay a 17 million dollar buyout to join NBE
Have you ever looked into who UConn considers peer institutions? It's not difficult to deduce reality.

Reaction Score
is that what he actually thinks?

why do I bother with these people anymore...
Why don’t you ask me - no that’s not what I think - I think we have a short sighted AD who made a terrible decision that will preclude us from actively lobbying for an invite.

Believe me - I hope that I am wrong. I hope I am wrong about not getting a P5 invite. I hope I am wrong about the end of UCONN football. And I hope I am wrong that the move to the NBE will be a financial disaster and will actually hurt the athletic department in the long run.

Unfortunately there is absolutely nothing this administration, athletic department and athletic director have done that instill any sort of confidence.

Reaction Score
Why don’t you ask me - no that’s not what I think - I think we have a short sighted AD who made a terrible decision that will preclude us from actively lobbying for an invite.

Believe me - I hope that I am wrong. I hope I am wrong about not getting a P5 invite. I hope I am wrong about the end of UCONN football. And I hope I am wrong that the move to the NBE will be a financial disaster and will actually hurt the athletic department in the long run.

Unfortunately there is absolutely nothing this administration, athletic department and athletic director have done that instill any sort of confidence.
You don't make any sense.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Buddy we all want a P5 invite we’ve wanted one forever and it hasn’t arrived. Took a wrong turn at Louisville. If your overall point is that decades of AD incompetence have led us here… no argument there… but being in the Big East doesn’t preclude us one bit from trying to succeed in football. The AAC was the death sentence.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yeah, that makes no sense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom