The Down Side of Sports Betting | The Boneyard

The Down Side of Sports Betting

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
"One in three high-profile athletes receive abusive messages from individuals with a "betting interest," and more than 540 men's and women's college basketball players received similar abuse, including death threats, during championship tournaments in March, the NCAA said in a release Friday."
ESPN

The toothpaste is out and apparently all over the sink too. It wasn't predicted that this would happen, it was expected. Not good, very bad. Just a matter of time when this escalates into the worst thing you can imagine. Coaches are going to need to deal with this along side the players, and the schools are going to suffer as well. Not sure what the solution is short of a federal stalking law that imposes severe penalties for seemingly minor offenses. A few weeks in a federal pen for sending a text sounds bad but it might deter this behavior and prevent escalation.

Reaction Score
I don't want to see anyone be abused.

But social media is an opt-in experience. This is not a gambling issue (though it may exacerbate the existing problem). If you're a high profile person (and that includes college athletes who are watched every few nights by tens of thousands to millions), you should not be subjecting yourself to what the ultra-minority and mentally unwell are apt to send to you. Just as you shouldn't listen to what opposing fans say on the road. Opt out. Keep a private social account to interact with friends and peers. Don't read the replies or DMs to your public account you keep for your Brand or whatever. Pay someone to monitor it if need be and budget allows.

Reaction Score
I don't want to see anyone be abused.

But social media is an opt-in experience. This is not a gambling issue (though it may exacerbate the existing problem). If you're a high profile person (and that includes college athletes who are watched every few nights by tens of thousands to millions), you should not be subjecting yourself to what the ultra-minority and mentally unwell are apt to send to you. Opt out. Keep a private social account to interact with friends and peers. Don't read the replies or DMs to your public account you keep for your Brand or whatever. Pay someone to monitor it if need be.
Spoken like someone with 26 followers

Reaction Score
Spoken like someone with 26 followers
Good one.

If we could solve mental illness and antisocial behavior, I'd do that first. Until then, don't read social media replies and mentions and Boneyard equivalents if you perform in front of tens of thousands to millions of people.

If kids and college-aged people struggle with that, then parents and coaches need to step in and help.

Reaction Score
If we could solve mental illness and antisocial behavior, I'd do that first. Until then, don't read social media replies and mentions and Boneyard equivalents if you perform in front of tens of thousands to millions of people.

If kids and college-aged people struggle with that, then parents and coaches need to step in and help.
This is abject nonsense

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Een before sports gambling was “legal”, athletes were getting abused online via their DMs, comments and mentions.

I’m sure people losing money on gambling has added fuel to the fire, but people on the internet are just toxic and want to hide behind a fake avatar and act tough. See the comments above on this thread (not you, Auror, the other guy).

Reaction Score
Een before sports gambling was “legal”, athletes were getting abused online via their DMs, comments and mentions.

I’m sure people losing money on gambling has added fuel to the fire, but people on the internet are just toxic and want to hide behind a fake avatar and act tough. See the comments above on this thread (not you, Auror, the other guy).

Have to agree with this. Even without gambling they would have social media and it is the dark side of social that is the problem.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It's laughable to think that legalized sports betting is the reason people are POS. Players and refs have experienced worse from people who don't bet on sports and are just FAN-atics

Reaction Score

The internet has given a lot of people a voice they wouldn't have had 30 years ago. Sometimes that leads to awesome things like HoopVision or some really cool under-the-radar writers building a following. Other times it means the absolute dregs of society get the most views.

Exhibit A: 90% of this board, including me.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure all of this stuff as well as in person meetings and other communications from everything including whackos to organized crime figures are covered by the Staff at the beginning of every year. They bring in people like FBI speakers and others (former players, convicts etc.) to warn kids about all the risks and how best to handle things. It is such a risk that any university who didn't (I strongly doubt there is even one) would have to be morons.

Reaction Score
Sports betting is fine

Harassing athletes because they didn’t do what you bet they would do is pure idiocy

Imagine getting furious at somebody because YOU decided to bet YOUR money, without even knowing them, that they would do specific things in a sports game and they didn’t. Clown behavior

Reaction Score
Sports betting is fine

Harassing athletes because they didn’t do what you bet they would do is pure idiocy

Imagine getting furious at somebody because YOU decided to bet YOUR money, without even knowing them, that they would do specific things in a sports game and they didn’t. Clown behavior

The thread title "The Down Side Of Sports Betting" got me hooked. Then, I see it's about harassment of athletes. This is "The" down side? This is a nothing burger. It's been around forever. There are dire down sides of sports betting beyond our precious performers being harassed.

When presented with an appetizing opportunity, human nature goads some people into delving into behavior that can be self-defeating or worse, felonious and dangerous.
To expect ALL legal gamblers to behave responsibly is a non-starter. It is addictive once you begin to feel you need the money or crave the high of winning.
We have always had Vegas. Now we have FanDuel, DraftKings and who couldn't have seen it, ESPN BET. Some of their ads give you a few free betting bucks to sign up. You do see the similarity to drug dealers giving you a free taste before grabbing ahold of your brain and wallet.

It is nearly always the case that the bad behavior of the few ruin it for the many that abide by self-control or by extension, the innocent victims of impacted families. We've loosened the rules and 'the few' grow larger. Human nature. In this country you have the right to do what you want but not at the cost of harm to others. Physical harm can be litigated. Family anguish is left for the shadows.
To expect our country will suddenly find and employ a panacea to these attendant mental health issues is just fantasy, I'm afraid. So often, symptoms are realized far too late and damage is done. No politician is going to spend the mountains of money it will really take to successfully instill at a young age the proper coping behaviors to avoid dangerous temptations not to mention the difficulties in identifying those that are at risk before they fall victim to their own behavior.

Pure idiocy is sports betting beyond a few dollars. At that point it is no longer entertainment or rooting interest as a fan to the bettor, just an opportunity to make or lose money. Even for casual or small bettors "making it interesting" is a false equivalency for the buzz one gets when they win. This IS how addiction can begin.

Claim you're an adult and you have legal options. It's not my money but it's your life. If those buzzy 4 wins vs. debilitating 6 losses are enough for you to continue, the end game is clear.
No one wins over time except the gambling sites. Anyone telling you different is lying.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom