The Civil Conflict! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The Civil Conflict!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like the idea of a rivalry game, but this is kind of stupid.

Here are a couple thoughts on what Diaco might have been thinking.

First, UCF is arguably the best football program in the AAC. So Diaco figures why not go head to head with the best. He publicly stated that he admires George Oleary's program and wants his players to look to UCF as an exemplary model.

Next might be the fact that UCF is in Orlando FL, a destination vacation/resort area that plenty of UCONN fans and families would travel to see a football game and then visit Disney. The same thing may possibly apply to UCF where many UCF fans have family in CT and the northeast. Obviously UCF fans don't have as many vacation choices in CT.

Temple is a natural regional rivalry but UCF is a bigger fish. Diaco probably figured go for it, what do we have to lose.

Reaction Score
Here are a couple thoughts on what Diaco might have been thinking.

First, UCF is arguably the best football program in the AAC. So Diaco figures why not go head to head with the best. He publicly stated that he admires George Oleary's program and wants his players to look to UCF as an exemplary model.

Next might be the fact that UCF is in Orlando FL, a destination vacation/resort area that plenty of UCONN fans and families would travel to see a football game and then visit Disney. The same thing may possibly apply to UCF where many UCF fans have family in CT and the northeast. Obviously UCF fans don't have as many vacation choices in CT.

Temple is a natural regional rivalry but UCF is a bigger fish. Diaco probably figured go for it, what do we have to lose.

More likely Diaco thinking is: What is the only legit win in my entire (and short) career as a head coach? UCF, I better do something to remind people!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't think UCF is smart enough as an institution to do something like that. I'm not saying they're stupid, but they're stupid.

Yeah they are so stupid their coach got through the day without making a complete ass of himself while further embarassing the university.

Reaction Score
Great. Something else freescooter can blame on Warde.
Not Warde's fault unless Diaco goes 2-10 again. Of course you will probably try to blame Hathaway...or me...if that happens. Diaco is Warde's boy and if he succeeds awards gets the credit. If not, it's on Warde too. Frankly if he is the disaster he appears he'll be, I hope it's enough to get them both the boot. But if he turns things around as I hope he will I will credit Warde for a good hire just as I have for Cavanaugh who was a very good choice which I wouldn't have made.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This just gives more credence to the belief that Diaco is in over his head. He's lost, clueless. We're doomed. For real.

Reaction Score
Diaco is an enigma. Seems to do a lot of talking before the season, "win the day", this that and the other, but when the games started the talk became about not sacrificing the future for a few wins.

At some point he just needs to focus on winning the games THAT day. He is frustrating guy. If he put half as much energy into not completely shutting the passing game down against USF as he did in creating this trophy we would all be happier.

Reaction Score
I just hope we don't get embarrassed in Orlando next year

If they actually show up this time and display a competent offensive product on the field, they should be fine. They did more with less last year. If they start making an avalanche of mental mistakes like they've never seen a football before, then they're in trouble and you can expect a repeat of the 2013 game (UCF: 60-something, UConn: not even close).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He's a strange man. I thought the uniform video was well done. Clever, funny, entertaining. This is just sad and pathetic.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I just hope we don't get embarrassed in Orlando next year
Mmm no matter what, we'll get embarrassed because this idiotic idea will be discussed, but hopefully we'll get the win.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
This is batsht crazy, completely insane, embarrassing, and sad. I really have no choice but to get behind it because the reality is too brutal to acknowledge. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Lets get some wins Bobby! Beat UCF! Keep the Civil Conflict trophy in the north!

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This is batsht crazy, completely insane, embarrassing, and sad. I really have no choice but to get behind it because the reality is too brutal to acknowledge. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Lets get some wins Bobby! Beat UCF! Keep the Civil Conflict trophy in the north!

^^^ I love it!

We should all show up in Union Soldier uniforms (very close to National Flag Blue anyways), and take it to the next level...

civilwar_4.jpg

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
After 24 hours I willing to reconsider this whole mess, OMG there is something wrong with me.

BD is a chatter guy, the anti edsall. Looking to stir up his own locker room and pump up the guys to the level of a corn covered corn dog and beyond.

After a season with zero to crow (ouch) about (that's on you Bob, btw), the only trolling he can do is toward UCF.

He can't troll USF, Tulane, or SMU (again on you Bob), so he goes with this.

The UCONN social media dept has a history of some epic trolls, (Hi cuse). Intentional troll or not, it comes off as petulant attention whoring.

Nope, stick with my original opinion, it's level 5 stupid.

Reaction Score
If he put half as much energy into not completely shutting the passing game down against USF as he did in creating this trophy we would all be happier.

In fairness, I don't think anyone put much energy into creating that trophy.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Obviously the general consensus here is that this is an absurd idea. However, just like with the rest of his insanity, if the team can just win some damn games the fan base will embrace him.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
An absurd idea that has generated 123 replies and 4200 views in the last 20 hours.
The Boneyard , as usual, taking itself too seriously.
Definitely agree with this. People talk about things like this and say "ermahgerd we're going to be the laughingstock of football." Pretty sure we're a laughingstock because we went 2-10 last year and struggle to score more than 10 points a game. If we were going 6-6 every year, people would just look at this and shrug their shoulders. It's a non story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom