• Other, Identify player in a post

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Vote on who you think is the Best WNBA player that played at UConn. Can only vote for one player.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that anyone will ever do for a college team what Diana did for UConn, but I think that Maya is developing into the better pro.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maya is either closing the gap or has passed everyone as the best player in the world. But don't look in the rear view mirror. :)

Reaction Score
It's Maya. From the stats to the team results...she's proving she's the best in the world right now.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I'm intrigued by Tina. Blindly looking at her numbers you might think, that's a nice double double... but two games in I've not been impressed. Her shooting percentage is UNDER 40% - and it should be 50. THere's not a lot of fire or drive.... hopefully something - her head, her teammates, something - clicks soon.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Maya Moore, at this point in time, without doubt.

Reaction Score
I'm intrigued by Tina. Blindly looking at her numbers you might think, that's a nice double double... but two games in I've not been impressed. Her shooting percentage is UNDER 40% - and it should be 50. THere's not a lot of fire or drive.... hopefully something - her head, her teammates, something - clicks soon.
Don't know what the word for 'that' is, but I know what you mean. She had 'that' for a long time at UCONN too, til it finally clicked

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
One of our favorites, Renee Montgomery, seems to be getting the shaft at the Connecticut Sun (1-5). See Mike DeMauro's article of May 23.

While I haven't seen the Sun play at all this year, these stats are curious: Montgomery is averaging 10.6 minutes a game and has scored an average of 5 points per game. OTOH, Katie Douglas, Alyssa Thomas and Alison Hightower are averaging between 25-33 minutes per game and yet are all averaging only around 9 points per game. Would I be wrong in thinking that if Montgomery were playing more minutes she'd be scoring more per game than those three?

Sun stats

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Maya is not only the best UCONN player in the WNBA, she's the best in the world.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Huge difference between best ever and best right now.
Best ever: DT.
Best right now: Maya (DT has too many miles on her tread at this point).
Game on the line: give me DT a million times out of a million.

Will be interesting to see if Stewart's truly unique physique/skill set combination will allow her to pass Maya, as they will be in their primes at the same time.

Reaction Score
The question is for this year? It's Maya.

For their WNBA careers, it's DT.

As time goes on - Maya will narrow the gap obviously. They have the same birthday so each time if we ever talk about age, Maya will literally will be closing the gap.

Reaction Score
Don't know what the word for 'that' is, but I know what you mean. She had 'that' for a long time at UCONN too, til it finally clicked

I don't agree "she had that" for a long time at UCONN. She was honorable mention a/a her frosh year. I believe third team a/a her sophomore year. Then I believe State Farm 1st team a/a her jr year.

Geno was just playing head games wiht her. It's his perogative. And it worked.

But I can remember one of his most outrageous comments was that Tina should be averaging a double-double at halftime. A double-double when you have scorers like Renee/Maya/ and Charde? And it's not like Maya or Charde couldn't rebound either. Really a half-time double-double? Has there been one player in the history of wcbb that has done that?

Reaction Score
I don't agree "she had that" for a long time at UCONN. She was honorable mention a/a her frosh year. I believe third team a/a her sophomore year. Then I believe State Farm 1st team a/a her jr year.

Geno was just playing head games wiht her. It's his perogative. And it worked.

But I can remember one of his most outrageous comments was that Tina should be averaging a double-double at halftime. A double-double when you have scorers like Renee/Maya/ and Charde? And it's not like Maya or Charde couldn't rebound either. Really a half-time double-double? Has there been one player in the history of wcbb that has done that?
Guess what I meant by "that" is it seemed to me before her senior year she was on and off - seemed like she was always needing external motivation to play up to her awesome potential.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that anyone will ever do for a college team what Diana did for UConn, but I think that Maya is developing into the better pro.

Dee actually went through a stretch like Maya did early on in the Paul Westhead years.

Uconn fans are blessed.

But I pick DT in these polls until she's retired. :p

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
With the game on the line, I want Maya on the floor. She'll get you a bucket, steal, rebound, or block. Whatever is needed.

When a bucket is needed, I've got 3 great options. Maya is an excellent choice. Recall the Rutgers game her freshman year. She hit 2 treys very late and needed just 1 more touch. But I think Dee has the edge. Her game against Tennessee in Hartford was a classic. But the kid from Syosset edges Dee out. She did it a number of times in the 2010 title run. She has her name in a book title. In the practice before the famous 2001 BE tourney game, Sue hit another half-court shot at the buzzer. Suzy Clutch.

Reaction Score
Guess what I meant by "that" is it seemed to me before her senior year she was on and off - seemed like she was always needing external motivation to play up to her awesome potential.

But "that" is what I don't agree with. IMO it was all Geno just being a coach and putting out a perception that Tina didn't come to play. I use the double-double as an example because he expected the double-double of her and if she didn't do it, it was suggested/implied or stated she wasn't playing hard. But nobody ever did what he wanted Tina to do. He didn't put this statistical criteria on Steph or Stewie.

Tina was a super super recruit. But she wasn't as highly regarded as Maya or DT though for a reason. She wasn't as good. In her junior year in high school - Paris destroyed her in a game between the powers. She wasn't going to step in her frosh year and soph year and become a double-double halftime beast that Geno wanted. And because she could never meet the unrealistic expectation her play gets lost "that she didn't come to play." Heck even games this year Stewie didn't play that well. Young kids don't come to play every game unless you have a kid like Faris whose existence has always been that. Tina is not as good as Stewie. Geno had said reboundning was a weakness of this past year's team - I thought I heard him say that- or he said they need to improve on it. If this was Tina he would have annihilated her in public.

I do understand though, Tina needed to be the beats rebounder she is- because she didn't have Steph's/ Stewie's other skills.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But "that" is what I don't agree with. IMO it was all Geno just being a coach and putting out a perception that Tina didn't come to play. I use the double-double as an example because he expected th double-double of her and if she didn't do it, it meant she wasn't playing hard. But nobody ever did what he wanted Tina to do. He didn't put this statistical criteria on Steph or Stewie.

Tina was a super super recruit. But she wasn't as highly regarded as Maya or DT though for a reason. She wasn't as good. In her junior year in high school - Paris destroyed her in a game between the powers. She wasn't going to step in her frosh year and soph year and become a double-double halftime beast that Geno wanted. And because she could never meet the unrealistic expectation her play gets lost "that she didn't come to play." Heck even games this year Stewie didn't play that well. Young kids don't come to play every game unless you have a kid like Faris whose existence has always been that. Tina is not as good as Stewie. Geno had said reboundning was a weakness of this past year's team - I thought I heard him say that- or he said they need to improve on it. If this was Tina he would have annihilated her in public.

I do understand though, Tina needed to be the beats rebounder she is- because she didn't have Steph's/ Stewie's other skills.
I think we observed the same thing - just from different perspectives. From my perspective, ThisJustIn's post about her seeming lack of 'fire & drive' struck a memory nerve...

Reaction Score
Now: Maya

Ever: DT, with Maya creeping up on her

That game on the line last shot? Still Bird at the buzzer.

Reaction Score
You are right about that. She needed a lot of bludgeoning from Geno and got it. Any other school and she would have just another good BB player.

Reaction Score
One of our favorites, Renee Montgomery, seems to be getting the shaft at the Connecticut Sun (1-5). See Mike DeMauro's article of May 23.

While I haven't seen the Sun play at all this year, these stats are curious: Montgomery is averaging 10.6 minutes a game and has scored an average of 5 points per game. OTOH, Katie Douglas, Alyssa Thomas and Alison Hightower are averaging between 25-33 minutes per game and yet are all averaging only around 9 points per game. Would I be wrong in thinking that if Montgomery were playing more minutes she'd be scoring more per game than those three?

Sun stats
I loved Rene here; did more with less than any player I can recall.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I think Swin Cash should also be in the discussion. Leading Detroit to WNBA Championship in her second season, and also a Championship with Seattle. Swin has a solid WNBA resume...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom