The Beginning of the End | The Boneyard

The Beginning of the End

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Start like a lion and finish like a lamb. That's what MD did. Came out hyped and then settled down and that was it.

That thread about MD and Thomas saying all that stuff. UConn embarrassed MD at home on national tv. MD had to be thinking what a great position to be in. No KML no MTuck early in the season at home they had to be licking their chops and get beat by how many? Second half Dolsen Stokes and Stewart all in foul trouble and UConn wins big. Thomas is very good but nobody else stepped up.

Here it is. Defense and execution and we did both. Geno has a system and you can put any player in that system and they will execute that system because of discipline and trusting the system and UConn will win most of the time. The better the players UConn has the better the system works and the harder it is for opponents' to beat us. See I believe you can give other teams our starting lineup and they couldn't win as many games as UConn does because they don't have the system execution or discipline to run it. JMO

Now I think we can all stop worrying. We are for real even without KML and MTuck. What we do that no other team does is we execute plays and it doesn't matter who shoots it if they're open. We also play torrid defense. The difference between UConn and everybody else is UConn knows how to play a team game. MD has a lot of good players. So do Duke Tenn and a lot of other teams but they don't make it to the FF. The reason is coaching a system, execution and defense. That's the game. Yeah Breanna scored a lot of points in the 1st half but she sat over 5 minutes and UConn had a 5 pt lead. UConn was in foul trouble most of the game. But they continued to play their game. Defense and execute on offense. Uconn didn't look for one player every play. We didn't force shots or make a lot of turnovers. We didn't panic. We got the right shot for the right person and many of those shots were layups, or open shots. We played the game executed on offense and played defense. I keep repeating myself for those who need me to repeat myself so they get it. LOL Yes we are that good. Now I know some of you are worried about Penn St and Ohio St and Duke and Cal. Don't be. We will be fine.

I can guarantee you there a lot of opposing fans from different teams watching thinking UConn will lose. Surprise UConn won big on the road. How do you think those fans and teams think now? Do you think tonight was a good recruiting tool? I think a lot of fans who doubted UConn are believers tonite. I think a lot of hopeful opponent's wishing UConn would lose understand how good this team and our coaches are.

For recruits thinking about UConn. There is nothing to think about. You wanna win? You wanna be the best you can be? You want to be tested? You want to win National Championships? You want to be an All American? UConn is for you. Understand when your being recruited. Opposing coaches will tell you, you will start, they play in a great conference, they want to win a NC but they haven't even won their conference. Lets start at the beginning, win your conference first then talk. There is only one UConn. Take advantage of it. If you have a chance to play for UConn consider it seriously. You'll never get another chance.

Reaction Score
Easy big fella! Things can change quickly. I do agree with your last paragraph though. It's kind of silly for any potential recruit that says they care about winning to chose any school other than UConn since that's the only school that wins consistently.

Reaction Score
Tony, I cannot disagree with your arguments, bu I'll feel better about it after UConn completes this string with a win against Cal, including Duke which (despite their dismal record against UConn over the last few years) is the next real challenge.

Reaction Score
I disagree that Thomas had a good game. Although she scored lots of points and rebounded well, she did not do things she is capable of to win the game. Not smart. With UConn's bigs in foul trouble, she did not attack them in an attempt to foul out Stewie, Stef & Kiah. That was MDs only hope of winning the game.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Tony, I cannot disagree with your arguments, bu I'll feel better about it after UConn completes this string with a win against Cal, including Duke which (despite their dismal record against UConn over the last few years) is the next real challenge.
Cal just lost to GW. Are you really worried about that game?

Reaction Score
Cal laid a big stinker tonight!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I disagree that Thomas had a good game. Although she scored lots of points and rebounded well, she did not do things she is capable of to win the game. Not smart. With UConn's bigs in foul trouble, she did not attack them in an attempt to foul out Stewie, Stef & Kiah. That was MDs only hope of winning the game.

I think Thomas played a very good game until the last strip by Mo and then she reverted.
But blaming her for faulty strategy is putting the onus on the wrong individual.
This is a madly talented kid but with severely limited, undeveloped BB smarts.
And she may have to wait until she gets to the pros for those gifts to be maxed

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I actually think the first half was mostly individual players - very few assists - the second half was much better. But in general I agree with your premiss and think if you want to have a chance to win an NCAA all four years and a good likelihood off winning more than one - Uconn does stand alone.
Bria had a wonderful quote in the SNY All Access teaser - at Uconn winning an single NC doesn't even get you in the conversation - you have to at least have two.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think Thomas played a very good game until the last strip by Mo and then she reverted.
But blaming her for faulty strategy is putting the onus on the wrong individual.
This is a madly talented kid but with severely limited, undeveloped BB smarts.
And she may have to wait until she gets to the pros for those gifts to be maxed
I think it is more the supporting cast and coaching and not her basketball smarts - if she wants to score she needs to go get the ball and do it herself it seems - not sure how many assists her teammates got by passing her the ball, but it can't have been many.

Reaction Score
Cal just lost to GW. Are you really worried about that game?
In a word, no. What I'm worried about is the grind with a seriously undermanned (underwomanned?) team. I just wish there were maybe two more players -- not great players, maybe, but decent players who could soak up some minutes during this crunch period without looking way out of place. I know, it's not reality, but I worry about the effect of this many minutes on seven players.

Reaction Score
Stef ,and Stewie have better basketball knowledge then their counterparts on Maryland, and both will have long careers, if they stay healthy. a real All-American is not stat's, but helping make your team better, adjusting your game depending on the game situations. In the second half, when Stef came back in she ,and Stewie inverted positions, and Stewie made two nice feeds for easy baskets.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Tony C----- I am with you ------ you are spot on!!!! I did not see your thread before i posted some similar thoughts on another thread. this Game, even more than the Stamford game, is Inspiring on so many levels, it blows my mind. When Maryland should have been putting the fork in us, undermanned, few subs, foul trouble, early in the 2nd half---- we blow them off the court----ran em ragged, tenacious defense, and executed offense no matter who was in whatever position---- this team has talent, heart and smarts!!!! We are better coached, we play harder at both ends, we just beat them up and down the court for easy hoops at times. I think Brenda was yelling at her team for not getting back on defense at half time??? Anyone not hustling on our team wouldn't be yelled at at half time---- they would be yanked immediately! That could say it all right there if you think about it... Our basketball IQ really shows up in a game like this. Md is talented and deep. That game could have/should have gone down to the wire---- and it ends up not close on their floor. I have never seen Geno so ecstatic this early in the season with a win- or rarely seen him this happy this early---- and he should be ----- they have all bought in hook line and sinker!!!!! Love your posts Tony!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
In a word, no. What I'm worried about is the grind with a seriously undermanned (underwomanned?) team. I just wish there were maybe two more players -- not great players, maybe, but decent players who could soak up some minutes during this crunch period without looking way out of place. I know, it's not reality, but I worry about the effect of this many minutes on seven players.

Grind? The only grind is this weekend, if you want to call it a grind. After PSU, UConn will play Oregon, Boston University, Monmouth, St. Bonnies over the next two weeks. Plenty of blowouts there to use the walkons to give the players some rest.

They then play OSU, not ranked and a team that beat FAU by only 3 points. Should be another blowout, followed by a game against UC Davis, certainly a chance to give players less minutes using the walkons. That game is on 12/5 and they don't play again until the Duke game on 12/17. With 12 days off, plenty of time to recover.

I do understand after last night, why you might think the minutes could be an issue. But this is probably the best conditioned team in the country and if you look closer into the schedule, I don't see where the issue is..

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Start like a lion and finish like a lamb. That's what MD did. Came out hyped and then settled down and that was it...

Now I think we can all stop worrying. We are for real even without KML and MTuck. What we do that no other team does is we execute plays and it doesn't matter who shoots it if they're open. We also play torrid defense. The difference between UConn and everybody else is UConn knows how to play a team game. MD has a lot of good players. So do Duke Tenn and a lot of other teams but they don't make it to the FF. The reason is coaching a system, execution and defense. That's the game. Yeah Breanna scored a lot of points in the 1st half but she sat over 5 minutes and UConn had a 5 pt lead. UConn was in foul trouble most of the game. But they continued to play their game. Defense and execute on offense. Uconn didn't look for one player every play. We didn't force shots or make a lot of turnovers. We didn't panic. We got the right shot for the right person and many of those shots were layups, or open shots. We played the game executed on offense and played defense. I keep repeating myself for those who need me to repeat myself so they get it. LOL Yes we are that good. Now I know some of you are worried about Penn St and Ohio St and Duke and Cal. Don't be. We will be fine.

Sorry, I cannot. I believe that we are vulnerable to foul trouble and further injury. Yes you are very right - we are a smart, extremely well coached team. But the reality is, at least for me, it's game by game until we get everyone back healthy.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sorry, I cannot. I believe that we are vulnerable to foul trouble and further injury. Yes you are very right - we are a smart, extremely well coached team. But the reality is, at least for me, it's game by game until we get everyone back healthy.

Gotta agree with Rady. If Brianna Banks had fully rolled that ankle last night --ooy. Besides, some of us Boneyarders have to shoulder a part of Mo Mack 4's worry load.

Reaction Score
And with better physical conditioning, baggerbob.
Great point, how many times did Stewie, or Stef beat their bigs down the floor for easy baskets? That's conditioning, coaching, desire which all the UConn ladies have, the UConn way.

HGN

Reaction Score
I think it was the U acorn defense that didn't let her do the things to win the game. Thomas tried but it was not to be.;)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Thomas had a lot of points early, especially, when due to UCONN's staffing issues they decided to let all of MD's shooters unchallenged on the perimeter. Once UCONN adjusted Thomas didn't score so much and was largely ineffective. She had the same type of disappointing second half against UCONN like her previous outings.

Reaction Score
Grind? The only grind is this weekend, if you want to call it a grind. After PSU, UConn will play Oregon, Boston University, Monmouth, St. Bonnies over the next two weeks. Plenty of blowouts there to use the walkons to give the players some rest.

They then play OSU, not ranked and a team that beat FAU by only 3 points. Should be another blowout, followed by a game against UC Davis, certainly a chance to give players less minutes using the walkons. That game is on 12/5 and they don't play again until the Duke game on 12/17. With 12 days off, plenty of time to recover.

I do understand after last night, why you might think the minutes could be an issue. But this is probably the best conditioned team in the country and if you look closer into the schedule, I don't see where the issue is..
+1 doggy. Duke is likely to be a challenge, though I expect an 8 to 10 pt win. Until then smooth sailing absent more injuries. And by the time we visit Louisville at least Tuck shd be back.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thomas had a lot of points early, especially, when due to UCONN's staffing issues they decided to let all of MD's shooters unchallenged on the perimeter. Once UCONN adjusted Thomas didn't score so much and was largely ineffective. She had the same type of disappointing second half against UCONN like her previous outings.
Ice - I think a little unfair as one could say the same about Stewart - after a 19 point first half on 7-9 she went 2-7 for 7 points in the second half. She did increase her rebounds from zero to seven, but three of those came in about 2 seconds of time as she rebounded two of her misses from about 1 foot. (shamelessly padding her stats!:rolleyes:)
Players who have phenomenal halves like Stewie and Thomas had seldom are able to match the output in the second half. They both carried their teams in the first half, neither did in the second half, but Stewart had teammates that took over the task for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom