The beginning of the end of football as our national sport. | The Boneyard

The beginning of the end of football as our national sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sorry, tried to put a question mark in the title but posted too quick.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The USA Today story on it does mention that the players tested were ones offered up by their families. It wasn't a random sample.

With those caveats, I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of NFL players will show signs of it.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Something absolutely needs to be done. Pad the outside of the helmets. We need some smart dudes to find a way to protect these guys.

Reaction Score
The USA Today story on it does mention that the players tested were ones offered up by their families. It wasn't a random sample.

With those caveats, I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of NFL players will show signs of it.

Ah, that makes a little more sense.

Reaction Score
Something absolutely needs to be done. Pad the outside of the helmets. We need some smart dudes to find a way to protect these guys.
Eliminate the helmets like rugby. A player won't lead with his head if he has no protection.

Reaction Score
Disagree. That data is compelling.

Relatively wealthy communities will stop fielding football teams as a next step. Then it is all downhill from there.
Kids from wealthy communities aren't getting drafted on day 1 of the draft.

Boxers were killed or nearly killed by the dozens 100 years ago, didn't stop boxing (greed and corruption did slow it down). Football is a way out for many players and Americans love the orchestrated and controled violence.

So all the leagues in Glastonbury and West Port may fade, they won't in Hartford and Bridgeport.

Reaction Score

Nevertheless, this is going to scare the air out of the NFL's balls faster than Tom Brady's assistants can. The NFL will survive and so will the big college football programs; but, the first successful lawsuit against a youth and/or high school program is going to sink the NFL's talent pipeline. That's the big threat.

Reaction Score
Eliminate the helmets like rugby. A player won't lead with his head if he has no protection.[/QUOT

I suggest you study the history of football before helmets and the reason they were created in the first place. The sport was nearly banned 90 years ago because os the number of severe injuries and deaths in the pre-helmet era. Removing helmets is a terrible idea.

I recommend widening and maybe lengthening the field. Athletes have gotten much larger and faster over the years, yet the playimg surface has remained virtually the same. I would also consider 10 on 10 football. More room to move can decrease the number and severity of hits.

Or not.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Kids from wealthy communities aren't getting drafted on day 1 of the draft.

Boxers were killed or nearly killed by the dozens 100 years ago, didn't stop boxing (greed and corruption did slow it down). Football is a way out for many players and Americans love the orchestrated and controled violence.

So all the leagues in Glastonbury and West Port may fade, they won't in Hartford and Bridgeport.

The wealthy communities decide what is mainstream because they are the ones advertisers care about. You have had too many hits to the head if you don't think football is going into a pemanent decline.

Reaction Score
I take most of your points, but let's not forget that boxing is a niche sport now. It's not what it was during the Ali era and before.

Reaction Score
I take most of your points, but let's not forget that boxing is a niche sport now. It's not what it was during the Ali era and before.

niche...the two highest paid athletes in the world this year are boxers. Boxing still brings in big PPV dollars so i wouldn't call it a niche. As i said greed and corruption hurt boxing, not the violence or brain injuries.

Reaction Score

And information about the dangers of boxing were not exactly flowing freely in the early 1900's as it is today.

I played football through high school, and until very recently I would have supported my kids playing it. Not any more. There are plenty of other sports for them to play.

Reaction Score
The wealthy communities decide what is mainstream because they are the ones advertisers care about. You have had too many hits to the head if you don't think football is going into a pemanent decline.

You are right. Just look at the free fall football ratings and attendance are suffering.
Football is driven by gambling all most as much as ad dollars. When you see a major Book refuse to put football on the boards, call me. The NFL has had head trauma issues for years, yet it tops its popularity each year.

i am not sure i would let my soon play, so i am not saying it shouldn't be trouble for the NFL. I am saying it won't be. Rich kids may stop playimg football, doesn't mean they won't watch. Madison Ave cares about eyeballs and wallets, not participation.

Reaction Score
Nelson, look at the "wealthy communities" in CT.... Greenwich, New Canaan, Cheshire, to a lesser extent Southington. What do they all have in common? They are the traditional football powers that the rest of the schools in state try to emanate. These programs are at the forefront of player safety & spend the money to ensure it. Their coaching staffs teach the correct methods of playing the game. I don't think that the sport will fade from that scene as soon as you anticipate.

Reaction Score
Football was created and supported by wealthy people. Global growth doesn't seem to be slowing down.

Reaction Score
niche...the two highest paid athletes in the world this year are boxers. Boxing still brings in big PPV dollars so i wouldn't call it a niche. As i said greed and corruption hurt boxing, not the violence or brain injuries.
No one boxes any more. Kids don't grow up wanting to do it, and they generate a profit by overcharging a small but loyal fan base. There were 4.4 million buys for Pac vs. Mayweather...basically the biggest fight in over a decade. I mean, considering fights are so rare and these were the two biggest names, it's peanuts. The average person doesn't know how to box, and would not let anyone in their family box. It's going to be that way in football relatively soon, if they don't figure out how to clear up the concussion issue.

A couple people make a ton of money, but, yeah, when your biggest draw just got 400,000 buys, you're in a lot of trouble as a sport.

Reaction Score

I agree with your take. Corruption and greed have been the biggest enemies of the sport over the last 30 years. Too many title holders and too few marquee match ups. Not to mention all of the major events are PPV only. To further strengthen this point much of the popularity boxing once enjoyed has been usurped by MMA, a sport whose main selling point is physical violence.

Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:

Then you realize that they love it as long as it isn't their kids.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nelson, look at the "wealthy communities" in CT.... Greenwich, New Canaan, Cheshire, to a lesser extent Southington. What do they all have in common? They are the traditional football powers that the rest of the schools in state try to emanate. These programs are at the forefront of player safety & spend the money to ensure it. Their coaching staffs teach the correct methods of playing the game. I don't think that the sport will fade from that scene as soon as you anticipate.

Youth participation in football is crashing. Towns are combining youth rec leagues because they don't have enough kids to make it work within their towns, and you are beginning to see "co op" teams between towns because they can't get enough kids to play. I do not see a way for football to do anything but decline.

Reaction Score
Youth participation in football is crashing. Towns are combining youth rec leagues because they don't have enough kids to make it work within their towns, and you are beginning to see "co op" teams between towns because they can't get enough kids to play. I do not see a way for football to do anything but decline.
I am wondering if that is just in CT, or is this downturn throughout the country? I really don't know, I'm just asking.

Reaction Score
In some towns, (Southington, for example) youth leagues are stronger than ever due to the popularity of the sport at the high school level. As to Co-Op teams, they can also be used as an indication of the growth of the sport. I'll cite 2 examples: St. Paul High in Bristol had a decrease in enrollment in the last decade and numbers were too small to field a team.As luck would have it. Lewis Mills in nearby Burlington, which never fielded a team wanted to start on up. At the same time, the State tech schools wanted to start football teams. Thus for a short period there was the Co-Op team of St. Paul-Lewis Mills-Goodwin Tech (New Britain) until such time as St.Paul's enrollment increased & the other 2 schools could build up numbers to field teams independently.
Example 2: The current Co-Op team of Cromwell-Portland. Portland has never had football until this union. Cromwell, a small school, is currently at a low enrollment. I envision this team as a Co-Op until Portland can stand on its own. First they have to get a feeder system up to the point where the kids have the skillset to contribute in High School lebvel.
I know the concussion issue makes this a two edged sword, but Co-Ops can also be seen as an example of growth of the sport. Twenty years ago, schools in the Farmington River Valley (Avon, Simsbury, etc.) didn't field teams. Now they do. (Simsbury, when they started their youth league, partnered with the Southington Midget Football League for games & practices, until their enrollment numbers merited standing on their own).

Reaction Score
I agree with your take. Corruption and greed have been the biggest enemies of the sport over the last 30 years. Too many title holders and too few marquee match ups. Not to mention all of the major events are PPV only. To further strengthen this point much of the popularity boxing once enjoyed has been usurped by MMA, a sport whose main selling point is physical violence.

Isn't MMA a niche sport?

I don't think the NFL is going away over night, but I do think participation in the sport will drop significantly over the next decade or so, and that will be a really bad thing for viewership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom