"The Beautiful Game" | The Boneyard

"The Beautiful Game"

Reaction Score
Pele, the king of international football, described the game as "jogo bonito" - translated as the beautiful game. Watching the seamless play of the starting Huskies in last night's game evoked that apt description for me. It was as beautiful as it gets. It was transcendent. Geno accurately assessed in his post-game that fans who truly know good basketball would appreciate the way his team played.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Once USC decided it would play a soft man-to-man defense against a UConn team that could spread them out they were doomed. Maybe the "soft" was not intended, but that is what it was.

Reaction Score
Once USC decided it would play a soft man-to-man defense against a UConn team that could spread them out they were doomed. Maybe the "soft" was not intended, but that is what it was.

Very much agree. Spread 'em out and, as Dawn said, "picked us apart".

Reaction Score
Let's remember that USC isn't very strong this year, so this was hardly a momentous win. But there were, for me, 2 important take-aways.

1. It's always great to win a big game on the road against a big crowd. should continue to give UConn confidence, as it's the last big road game before Albany/Columbus.

2. I was most interested in seeing how UConn could handle a very talented big. The answer: they handled Wilson very well. Yes, she managed 16 ribbies, which was to be expected. And she got to the foul line a lot (let's not talk about the refereeing). But she was only 4-18 from the field. This is an extremely important stat for UConn, since the team UConn might well fear the most is Baylor, with 2 bigs, but neither nearly as dominant as Wilson.

the one troubling aspect was that Z was non-existent in the game, with 4 fouls. She doesn't have the stuff to guard an aggressive big. that's just not her game, and no amount of CD coaching her up is going to change that. but over the next months (and next year) she can at least become a bit more careful with the fouls, one hopes. that she played only 17 minutes because of her fouls should teach her that there are consequences to non-disciplined defense.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
the one troubling aspect was that Z was non-existent in the game, with 4 fouls. She doesn't have the stuff to guard an aggressive big. that's just not her game, and no amount of CD coaching her up is going to change that. but over the next months (and next year) she can at least become a bit more careful with the fouls, one hopes. that she played only 17 minutes because of her fouls should teach her that there are consequences to non-disciplined defense.

Bingo on Z

Reaction Score
Let's remember that USC isn't very strong this year, so this was hardly a momentous win. But there were, for me, 2 important take-aways.

1. It's always great to win a big game on the road against a big crowd. should continue to give UConn confidence, as it's the last big road game before Albany/Columbus.

2. I was most interested in seeing how UConn could handle a very talented big. The answer: they handled Wilson very well. Yes, she managed 16 ribbies, which was to be expected. And she got to the foul line a lot (let's not talk about the refereeing). But she was only 4-18 from the field. This is an extremely important stat for UConn, since the team UConn might well fear the most is Baylor, with 2 bigs, but neither nearly as dominant as Wilson.

Great post.....as to Baylor, we handled Coates and Wilson last year and i suspect we'll have the same equation this year if we play Baylor where quickness and footwork will outplay height and weight.
I know this board has so much respect for Gabby but the way she can take the consensus NPOY and more than neutralize her is phenomenal and deserves our special appreciation. . It doesn't show in the stat sheet but is a crucial element of the team game. We are going to win the perimeter game and the transition game against most ,if not all ,teams and I think its now clear that at worst, the paint will be a draw.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
How would a zone defense have helped?

One true statement that the announcers (specifically Rebecca) made was that as long as UConn can put KLS in one corner and Kia Nurse in the other corner, any defense is going to be spread out. (And she might have mentioned Crystal at the top of the circle.) That is especially true when Napheesa and Gabby can hardly be ignored closer to the rim.

But there is a cautionary side to this: 3-point shooting is characteristically streaky. Kia was as cold in the second half from 3-point land as she was hot in the first half. According to an ESPN article, UConn shot 27% in the third quarter and 31% in the fourth quarter -- admittedly after the game was decided. (As a result, UConn shot only 41% for the game after shooting 51% in the first half and 61% in the second quarter.) If the second half shooting had happened to occur in the first half, and the crowd had whooped on every 3-point brick that UConn threw up, it would have been a different game entirely, and probably would have been decided by single digits.

I would have liked to see someone other than Gabby (Azura or Megan?) be effective offensively in the paint against Wilson and Jennings.

Reaction Score
Z will improve her defense to where she will be able to cover an aggressive big. It doesn't happen overnight. Let's not forget she didn't play against competition last year, only in practice, and UConn didn't have an aggressive big.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
People sometimes ask "How can you watch UConn WBB? They blow everyone out." The answer is 1) I'm a fan, so blowouts are a good thing, but 2) (and more importantly) the execution is really something to behold. Every game there are jaw dropping plays, literally every game. It is a joy to watch. UConn really does play a "beautiful game."

Reaction Score
Z will improve her defense to where she will be able to cover an aggressive big. It doesn't happen overnight. Let's not forget she didn't play against competition last year, only in practice, and UConn didn't have an aggressive big.

I am very hopeful of that. Perhaps she and ONO playing against each other can learn together!

Reaction Score
Pele, the king of international football, described the game as "jogo bonito" - translated as the beautiful game. Watching the seamless play of the starting Huskies in last night's game evoked that apt description for me. It was as beautiful as it gets. It was transcendent. Geno accurately assessed in his post-game that fans who truly know good basketball would appreciate the way his team played.
Couldn't agree more!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
How would a zone defense have helped?

I didn't mean to imply that zone would be better. Their man was too soft. man was the way to go, but man up!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Bags
Although my conclusion (in a different thread) with regard Z's performance last night was similar to your's, I am generally more optimistic with regard the potential for progress over the summer. I do believe that she can be coached to be more assertive and complete on D. It's not like Gabby and Pheesa are Man Mountain Dean; it's in the attitude and upbringing.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
People sometimes ask "How can you watch UConn WBB? They blow everyone out." The answer is 1) I'm a fan, so blowouts are a good thing, but 2) (and more importantly) the execution is really something to behold. Every game there are jaw dropping plays, literally every game. It is a joy to watch. UConn really does play a "beautiful game."

Some of the most appreciative writers were on the SC side.

Reaction Score
Bags
Although my conclusion (in a different thread) with regard Z's performance last night was similar to your's, I am generally more optimistic with regard the potential for progress over the summer. I do believe that she can be coached to be more assertive and complete on D. It's not like Gabby and Pheesa are Man Mountain Dean; it's in the attitude and upbringing.
Some of the most appreciative writers were on the SC side.
Thanks, msf22b. I'm not down on Z for her D, as much as I don't believe she has it in her to be effective against a very physical big. That's only one slice of D. I think Kalani Brown will eat her lunch. Just the way it is. Z has terrific talents, but I don't think defending a very physical big tight without fouling is one of them. Sort of like teaching Gabby to hit the 3 consistently. It is what it is, and coaches in those circumstances figure out ways to hide their players' shortcomings.

Reaction Score
I am very hopeful of that. Perhaps she and ONO playing against each other can learn together!
Would love to have our own version of a Cox-Brown tandem with ONO-Z, but they would only be together for a season. The high-low of Stef-Stewie was unstoppable. Muffet still has nightmares about it. If we can get a big in '19 maybe we can rekindle that.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I will be in opposition on this one. Having watched a lot of BUs games in their league, I was surprised how little Brown can move, unless she is under the basket when she receives the ball she cannot make a move. The post on Okie St held her own in pushing Brown off the low block, Stevens and your other tall defenders could front Brown and with your on ball pressure make it difficult for a pass to her under the basket. Cox tries to drive but she always goes right which will be part of your scout. Neither is quick so it will be difficult for them to react to your speed and athleticism. Just IMHO.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Agree with your comments, but if you're implying that the TUC in Albany constitutes a "road game/neutral site" I would respectfully disagree. It's about as neutral a court as WBA in Bridgeport. As I live about 30 minutes up the road just outside Saratoga, I'll be there along with approximately 17,000 UConn fans, who have already purchased their tickets.

Reaction Score
Agree with your comments, but if you're implying that the TUC in Albany constitutes a "road game/neutral site" I would respectfully disagree. It's about as neutral a court as WBA in Bridgeport. As I live about 30 minutes up the road just outside Saratoga, I'll be there along with approximately 17,000 UConn fans, who have already purchased their tickets.
me, too, oldude. taking my wife for Sat, but probably solo for Monday (if UConn win's Saturday! gotta keep on the right side of the mojo, right?)

BTW, lucky you for being so close to Saratoga. Great town and fantastic cycling country. Do you happen to know Hattie's Restaurant? I'm wearing her fried chicken and pecan pie....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
me, too, oldude. taking my wife for Sat, but probably solo for Monday (if UConn win's Saturday! gotta keep on the right side of the mojo, right?)

BTW, lucky you for being so close to Saratoga. Great town and fantastic cycling country. Do you happen to know Hattie's Restaurant? I'm wearing her fried chicken and pecan pie....
Been to Hattie’s a few times. Nothing quite like it when you have the urge for some truly southern fried chicken and all the fixings.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The one troubling aspect was that Z was non-existent in the game, with 4 fouls. She doesn't have the stuff to guard an aggressive big. that's just not her game, and no amount of CD coaching her up is going to change that. but over the next months (and next year) she can at least become a bit more careful with the fouls, one hopes. that she played only 17 minutes because of her fouls should teach her that there are consequences to non-disciplined defense.
Good stuff as always. I wanted to address/reply to the last paragraph of your post. I totally agree with you and wanted to add a few things...

For the folks who proclaimed she was the "best player" on the team before the games even started in earnest, this was case in point that she's not. Don't get me wrong - love the kid, love the skill set, love what she can do at her size, and I think that next year she will be even better, but she needs to buy into what Geno is teaching. She's had over 1.5 years and she still can't defend, never mind defend without fouling. Against tall, talented bigs, it appears she is going to struggle. I don't know how much she will be able to be counted on should we face Baylor or Mississippi State (or even Tennessee).

There are not many teams with big, talented center-types, but for her height, Z is not a good defender of players her size. I really hope she sees that and realizes that she needs to take to heart what Geno and co. are teaching her on defense. He still says "she gives up as many points on defense as she scores on offense" which means he feels her defense is poor at best.

You are right - she's not going to suddenly add 25 pounds of muscle to her frame, but she can certainly use her body better, move her feet better, and try to block shots WITHOUT doing the tomahawk chop.

I get that players have bad games. But this was more than that - in facing a talented center, she was not up to the task. I hope Geno and/or CD sits down with her and really reviews the game tape and help her see where she can improve...

Reaction Score
I clearly see all the concerns and criticism of Z's defense especially last night against a quality big.
I'd just like to restate and point out that she never had to nor learned to play proper defense. Yes she's been here a year and a half but it's only been a half year of focus and she's the sixth player. They also only occasionally play a big of this quality in a seemingly competitive game.
For every player and every person, basketball and life are processes that take time and everyone's learning curve is different.
What makes me encouraged about Z's coming along is her offensive game and movement are incredibly for a big of her length. If she can do what she does on the offensive end she can (and I believe will) become a good or better defensive player by early to mid next year. I also am pretty sure she's not happy with her inabilities and weaknesses and knows she needs to fix them to be a very good to outstanding pro. This makes me confident she will stay and have the sophomore jump but it will be in her senior year. Next year Gabby and Kia (shh I know we shouldn't even say it) will be gone. Z will move into a much more prominent role and the improvement will be required for her to play and become the player she can and wants to be.
Remember she choose to transfer here. She knew much of this as much as anyone can know coming in.
Most importantly, it is a process and for most a long, slow, uneven one.
Last night was an amazing win and had so much superb play by the top five, try and learn to "savor" it for at least a few days.
Bronx23

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom