The advantages of our international players | The Boneyard

The advantages of our international players

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
After reading the article about Azzi's parents, it got me thinking about how lucky the team is to be able to experience a multicultural team. It's amazing that we have players from Canada, Croatia, Egypt, France, Hungary, Mexico, and Portugal. Throw in Ireland from Lou's experience there, and it's a pretty impressive list. From sharing native dishes, curse words, personal experiences, they have a wealth of information to learn from and share. Then there's Geno, a classic case of coming to the US, working hard, and reaping the benefits. For some, this may prepare them if they play overseas after graduation.

Remember how novel it seemed that we were getting Svet, a player all the way from Russia? How times have changed, in a good way.

Reaction Score
I think there have been times when foreign recruiting was an emergency or backup plan when the domestic recruiting and or portal options had dried up. With the number of foreign recruits that have been successful here, on and off the court, and meshing well with their teammates, now Uconn is a known favored destination for talented foreigners.

What was once more of an afterthought has become more of a prime focus and potential Uconn recruiting advantage IMO.

Reaction Score
One big advantage for our Huskies is that UConn is far and away the most well known WCBB brand internationally. Several of our international recruits have mentioned how bowled over they were when Geno or one of his assistants came calling. Given that of our current starting five only Aubrey is from the US, I say, keep it up! (of course, our bench and injured US players -- Azzi, Caroline, Paige, Ice -- are no slouches!)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There was a time when Geno could pretty much get just about any top American player. Those days are long gone, as the competition for top US recruits is intense.

At the same time, WBB has improved significantly overseas where Geno & UConn WBB are legendary, particularly in Europe. So I would expect that UConn will be recruiting 1-2 top foreign players every year going forward.

Reaction Score
A "player" is a "player" no matter who or where they are from. Basketball has taken off worldwide for a couple of reasons. You don't need a large area to play the game and shorts, shoes, shirt and a roundball completes the job,

Reaction Score
Coaches also seem to like recruiting foreign players because they're used to different styles of play and FIBA competition. I've listened in on webinars where coaches talk about the high level basketball IQ they see in international players. Players from countries like Australia, France and Spain, have impressive skillsets before they have even touched a court in the US.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Coaches also seem to like recruiting foreign players because they're used to different styles of play and FIBA competition. I've listened in on webinars where coaches talk about the high level basketball IQ they see in international players. Players from countries like Australia, France and Spain, have impressive skillsets before they have even touched a court in the US.
Perhaps as a result of no AAU in other countries.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Team Usa Swag GIF by Nike

Reaction Score
Perhaps as a result of no AAU in other countries.
That's part of it but I also think it's the rules used in competition. FIBA rules are different than what's typically used in high school and AAU ball from what I've observed. It forces coaches and players to handle situations differently.

A couple examples:

1) Time outs: Coaches/players can't call for a time out while the game is in progress. If a player gets stuck, the team has to figure out how to get out of the jam or deal with a turnover.

2) Shot Clock & Resets: Twenty-four seconds and 14 seconds for offensive rebounds force players to make decisions faster. The ball has to move around more from my experience.

3) Team sides (new): FIBA recently changed the ends teams play. Now, teams play the end directly across from their bench during the first half, and across from their opponents bench in the second half. In how it was explained to me by friends who are referees, this was done to deal with late game situations coaches were having issues getting a referees attention when the other team scored. I'm still mixed on this one, but time will tell.

Reaction Score
The coaching on youth teams in Europe is often far superior to the AAU/high school experience in the U.S. Those teams are together all year, have a much freer rein in the selection of players and are often the developmental arm of a professional team. It’s the same system that produces world class soccer players.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I was taken by the comments of the Washington State coach after they won the PAC12 Tourney. They have players from 8 Countries besides the USA. She said the international players are easier to coach as most of them are more mature and they really appreciate the opportunity to come here.

Reaction Score
This season our international players have to date played: 66.41% of minutes (4,516 of 6,800 minutes & the top four minutes/game), scored 67.61% (1,741 of the 2,575) points scored, pulled down 59.66% (834 of the 1,398) of the total rebounds, blocked 63.44% (144 of the 227) of blocked shots and dished up 80.32% (506 of the 630) of total assists made.

Aaliyah, Nika and Lou were category leaders (as listed on UConn wcbb webpage) in every stat other than steals which was lead by Aubrey (who was followed by Nika, Aaliyah, Dorka and Lou in that order).

Not bad contributions made by the International 50% of our active roster this season!

Reaction Score
After reading the article about Azzi's parents, it got me thinking about how lucky the team is to be able to experience a multicultural team. It's amazing that we have players from Canada, Croatia, Egypt, France, Hungary, Mexico, and Portugal. Throw in Ireland from Lou's experience there, and it's a pretty impressive list. From sharing native dishes, curse words, personal experiences, they have a wealth of information to learn from and share. Then there's Geno, a classic case of coming to the US, working hard, and reaping the benefits. For some, this may prepare them if they play overseas after graduation.

Remember how novel it seemed that we were getting Svet, a player all the way from Russia? How times have changed, in a good way.
Yes! The whole international connection is a huge bonus for the team. Like you said, if the players decide to play overseas, hopefully on their own research and speaking with the other players, they get an understanding of different regions and what to expect. Also, the players are expanding their knowledge and getting out of their comfort zones. Great learning experience which college is all about.

Reaction Score
Geno didn't pluck Lou out of France, he plucked her out of Fairfield. Same with Dorka and tOSU. In addition to international players all sources need to be looked at. There might even be a couple of really good JUCO players looking for a home. Of course, you still want the best of the home-grown HS players.

Reaction Score
I, for one, would like to see more recruits from around the world. The recent addition of Jana may prove to be a great pick. I think that there are a lot of players out there that would be UConn capable and bring a lot of value to the Team along with an intense work and playing ethic. US Colleges have only scratched the surface on who might be available. UConn might put together a special representative who focuses on the international scene and make recommendations on who might be a great pick.

JOKE: Of course, we could take one player from the UConn men's team who is 7 feet dress them like a women and then he/she could play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom