The ACC rumors | The Boneyard

The ACC rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I've heard the same things everyone else has - not sure I put any weight in them, though.

All indications are that the ACC was as blindsided by Maryland as the Big East was when Syracuse and Pitt bolted. Both went from rumor to fact in about three days.

I don't think the ACC rushes out an invite to anyone. We very well may be in for a long wait to find out what they intend on doing. For starters, I think they have to try to make a run at Notre Dame again.

Reaction Score
Why would Notre Dame give up their football independence before they need to?

Also once they decide to join a conference for football, why would they choose the ACC over the Big 10? I believe they would always have a spot waiting for them there no matter how many teams they have at that point.

I do agree that the ACC will take a little time before deciding what they want to do. They need to get a feel if more teams will leave, I don't think the addition of any BE team would have any bearing positive or negative on FSU/Clemson/VT from leaving the ACC.

Reaction Score
I would think the ACC's first move would be to make sure that no one else is leaving. If they add UConn only to have FSU and/or Clemson bolt for either the Big 12 or SEC then nothing would have been solved from their perspective.

UConn fits in best with the profiles of other ACC schools but Louisville's football program is clearly going to play a role here.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I know nothing except what we've all observed, but I can't imagine why anyone thinks Notre Dame--in the midst of its most relevant season in decades--would consider abandoning its football independence anytime soon. With legitimate NC aspirations this season now, I'd think Notre Dame would be even more steadfast in its refusal.

Reaction Score
I've heard the same things everyone else has - not sure I put any weight in them, though.

All indications are that the ACC was as blindsided by Maryland as the Big East was when Syracuse and Pitt bolted. Both went from rumor to fact in about three days.

I don't think the ACC rushes out an invite to anyone. We very well may be in for a long wait to find out what they intend on doing. For starters, I think they have to try to make a run at Notre Dame again.

I think this is right. My real question is, with all of these conferences running to get to 16, why not cut the BS and just invite UCONN, Louisville, and Cincinatti and be the first. At least at that point you have a full league...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Whether Notre Dame does or doesn't, the ACC has to try.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I hear you, but I guess I'm wondering whether anyone sees any remotely valid reason to believe it could happen. Otherwise, it seems like the equivalent of me saying I might as well ask Kate Upton out before deciding whether to stay married.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This might be the most grounded and.thoughtful thread on this subject to date. Hope no one ruins it.

The ACC would be smart to call around before inviting anyone in case anything has changed since the last go.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I know nothing except what we've all observed, but I can't imagine why anyone thinks Notre Dame--in the midst of its most relevant season in decades--would consider abandoning its football independence anytime soon. With legitimate NC aspirations this season now, I'd think Notre Dame would be even more steadfast in its refusal.

That will be a very, very short conversation. "Hi, so have you reconsider--" "No." "OK then, good luck against Southern Cal!"

Reaction Score
I would think the ACC's first move would be to make sure that no one else is leaving. If they add UConn only to have FSU and/or Clemson bolt for either the Big 12 or SEC then nothing would have been solved from their perspective.

UConn fits in best with the profiles of other ACC schools but Louisville's football program is clearly going to play a role here.
Here's the problem, despite this year's record, Louisville is not really better--historically or recently--than UConn. At least not by enough to allay fears from FSU and Clemson.

Both schools are basketball first schools with some success on the field, and a couple of BE football titles in their history. One just has a better market and a better academic record.

That doesn't mean they'll take UConn, but I just really don't buy the idea that somehow Louisville is a legitimate football school and UConn is not.

Reaction Score
Fishy, you don't think the ACC has tried to get ND to join in football? They can keep trying all they want to, ND will remain independent in football.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Fishy, you don't think the ACC has tried to get ND to join in football? They can keep trying all they want to, ND will remain independent in football.
Not if their options in the post season get reduced. And that possibility increases with 4 super conferences.

Reaction Score

If more teams leave, then the ACC is in even worse shape without UConn.

Reaction Score
Here's the problem, despite this year's record, Louisville is not really better--historically or recently--than UConn. At least not by enough to allay fears from FSU and Clemson.

Both schools are basketball first schools with some success on the field, and a couple of BE football titles in their history. One just has a better market and a better academic record.

That doesn't mean they'll take UConn, but I just really don't buy the idea that somehow Louisville is a legitimate football school and UConn is not.

Totally agree with you that I don't think that Louisville's football program would be enough for FSU or Clemson. I think no matter what, both of those schools start looking around. Who knows how these schools come up with $50 million but FSU has to be angry that they are behind a bunch of 2 loss SEC schools.

Reaction Score
Totally agree with you that I don't think that Louisville's football program would be enough for FSU or Clemson. I think no matter what, both of those schools start looking around. Who knows how these schools come up with $50 million but FSU has to be angry that they are behind a bunch of 2 loss SEC schools.

If FSU beats Florida, they will end the year very highly ranked and will not be behind any 2 loss SEC schools.

Reaction Score
Maybe UL and Cincy to the big 12 to make it 14
Uconn to the acc to make it 14

ND stays put?

I agree that it will take some time before anything is settled.

Reaction Score
FSU can't be happy? Than they should have beaten an NC State team that UConn almost beat. They keep talking about how the ACC isn't good enough in football for them but in recent years they can't get through it without a loss.

Reaction Score
Fishy,

Not sure you're right about Maryland blindsiding the ACC. I suspect that at least since the Notre Dame move, they have been making it known that they are not happy. I also think they have been the most likely to leave for a while now. heck, there was even a rumor that they were taking with the Big East back before the last ACC raid.

Reaction Score
The ACC shouldn't have been blind-sighted. They were one of two teams (the other being Florida State) to vote against the increase in exit fees.

Reaction Score
More and more it does look to be 4 super conferences in the future. Where that leaves the ACC, I couldn't say.

Reaction Score
I normally agree with Fishy, but not here. The ACC will act fast as they have to get a 14th football school for the season Maryland leaves. Could they force the next team to pull a West Virgina? They could, but it's not ideal. My guess is UConn to the ACC in a week or two.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
THey may try but in a year where there is a good shot at an undefeated season and NC they will be in the drivers seat about football revenue. Is the other rumor that RU is also goinng B10?

Reaction Score
My sense of the world is that UConn is heading to the ACC. You see all the things that have happened and it just has the feel of a done deal. If you look at recent history, it apparently came down to UConn or Pitt the last time. UConn has not been willing to give full commitment to the Big East...it has always been lukewarm, which leads one to believe they have been quietly lobbying for a slot. It has been an open secret that Rutgers has been lobbying the Big 10, Louisville the B-12 and UConn the ACC. Louisville has suddenly been arguing their case for the ACC in the press, which is usually a sign "you haven't got the votes" and you need to change a lot of minds. My guess is they aren't really in the game, though you never know. UConn has been very quiet.

The other thing going on here is that it is highly unlikely that nobody in the ACC knew Maryland was leaving. If the coaches knew last week, as they apparently did, then the ACC knew at least then, too. And clearly Maryland wasn't happy. And if the ACC knew, it is also likely that they also had a replacement plan in place and that replacement also knew what was happening. that Louisville is making a spectacle now suggests to me that they are not that replacement, and UConn is. Finally, the ACC has always worked quietly and behind the scenes. We'll see how it plays out over the next week to 10 days, and there are surely things tha tcan go wrong, but I think this will ultimately work out with UConn in the ACC.

Reaction Score
I find it interesting how little Susan Herbst had to say on the subject. After being ridiculed for outwardly looking for an invite last year, she couldn't be reached by the press yesterday. The day before when asked if she had heard from the ACC she said "not a word" or something to that effect. Definitely seems different this time. Louisville is begging and UConn is laying very low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom