The 15%'ers | The Boneyard

The 15%'ers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was looking through the archives and noticed that the last time we shot 15% in a half was against UMass in 2002. We won that one too. That was the game that Rashad Anderson had his coming out. He hit 3-3 pointers in a crucial run in the second half, that saw UConn go on a 29-2 run. They were losing 30-9 at halftime, and UMass came out and scored the first 4 points of the second half. Behind by 25, Rashad, Ben Gordon and Denham Brown hit 8- 3 pointers and UConn went on to win 59-48, outscoring Steve Lappas's group 50-18 in that momentous half. Anderson scored 16.
By the way UConn was undefeated and ranked #9 and UMass, unranked, was 1-5.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I still have the "3" sign they handed out at that game with the halftime score written on it somewhere.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I remember a game at Pittsburgh in '95 where UConn trailed 40-15 after 15 minutes.

Ray Allen kinda went nuts and UConn outscored Pitt 70-36 in the next 25 minutes.

Reaction Score
Wow, that was 2002 ? Time flies! The civic center crowd booed uconn as the team left the floor for half time. JC was thrilled .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that was the game where as the team was walking to the locker room at halftime and the fans were booing JC put up his arms and waved like give it to us. We debated on here whether he really wanted the fans to boo or he was making fun of the fans for booing. I was there and it certainly looked like he was asking the fans to boo. But then I thought about it and figured there was no way JC would want the fans to boo his players. Don't remember if he ever explained what he was doing there.

I was at the game with alexd and beerfan on their extra ticket and I remember at halftime they told me I was never going to another game with them again. They were singing a different tune after the game!

Reaction Score
I was looking through the archives and noticed that the last time we shot 15% in a half was against UMass in 2002. We won that one too. That was the game that Rashad Anderson had his coming out. He hit 3-3 pointers in a crucial run in the second half, that saw UConn go on a 29-2 run. They were losing 30-9 at halftime, and UMass came out and scored the first 4 points of the second half. Behind by 25, Rashad, Ben Gordon and Denham Brown hit 8- 3 pointers and UConn went on to win 59-48, outscoring Steve Lappas's group 50-18 in that momentous half. Anderson scored 16.
By the way UConn was undefeated and ranked #9 and UMass, unranked, was 1-5.

And if you count UMass scoring the first four of the half, we outscored them 50-14 the rest of the way.

I remember that game well. Just an incredible run out of nowhere. It helps that we were much more talented (on the sidelines as well).;)

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Imho JC definitely didn't want the crowd booing his players. Probably one of his patented " us against them" fueled speeches at halftime, but the "them" was the civic center crowd.

He could never say that to the press though.

Reaction Score
I remember a game at Pittsburgh in '95 where UConn trailed 40-15 after 15 minutes.

Ray Allen kinda went nuts and UConn outscored Pitt 70-36 in the next 25 minutes.

Remember that one as well. To me, that one was even more impressive because it was on the road.

KO was in that one, too.:)

Reaction Score
I think that was the game where as the team was walking to the locker room at halftime and the fans were booing JC put up his arms and waved like give it to us. We debated on here whether he really wanted the fans to boo or he was making fun of the fans for booing. I was there and it certainly looked like he was asking the fans to boo. But then I thought about it and figured there was no way JC would want the fans to boo his players. Don't remember if he ever explained what he was doing there.

I was at the game with alexd and beerfan on their extra ticket and I remember at halftime they told me I was never going to another game with them again. They were singing a different tune after the game!

I know how defensive JC was of his guys. But he never shied away from admitting that they stank when he felt that they didn't play hard. He would certainly criticize their performance (to their press) if he wasn't happy. I remember hearing him say that his guys deserved to get booed after some poor performances. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me either way.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I know how defensive JC was of his guys. But he never shied away from admitting that they stank when he felt that they didn't play hard. He would certainly criticize their performance (to their press) if he wasn't happy. I remember hearing him say that his guys deserved to get booed after some poor performances. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me either way.

I understand your point, but JC always struck me as the kind of guy who himself could rip into his players, but never, ever stand for anyone else doing so.

Reaction Score
I understand your point, but JC always struck me as the kind of guy who himself could rip into his players, but never, ever stand for anyone else doing so.

Could be. He certainly didn't like the media ripping into his players, but that's a different story.

I could see him encouraging the crowd to boo as a motivational tool because they stunk up the joint, embarrassing themselves, and what else can you do?

Reaction Score
This is one of the regular season games that i will always remember. I was in shock at how bad they played in the first half and the score 30-9. Then i was in shock at the way they came back and just dominated in the second half. This is one of the games i would love to be able to watch again. Since it wasnt a tournament game i know its kind of hard but does anybody know how its possible?

As far as JC and the whole booing thing...I remember there was an issue with this back around 2006?? when the home crowds were booing the team for stretches over the span of a few games and JC was not happy about it and voiced his frustration.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Calhoun's quote that day was something like, we could've been wearing mittens out there in the first half and not played any worse.
And then, as mentioned, that was an all-time unforgettable second half. I think Rashad was averaging about 2 ppg coming into that one, and then afterwards had a green light for the next four years.

Reaction Score
This is one of the regular season games that i will always remember. I was in shock at how bad they played in the first half and the score 30-9. Then i was in shock at the way they came back and just dominated in the second half. This is one of the games i would love to be able to watch again. Since it wasnt a tournament game i know its kind of hard but does anybody know how its possible?

As far as JC and the whole booing thing...I remember there was an issue with this back around 2006?? when the home crowds were booing the team for stretches over the span of a few games and JC was not happy about it and voiced his frustration.

The LSU game where Tyrus Thomas and Big Baby Davis were killin the frontcourt during the early beginning. That game was pretty much Thomas's coming out party.

Reaction Score
I believe that Donny Marshall missed that game in Pitt due to some kind of one game suspension! Great second half!

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I believe that Donny Marshall missed that game in Pitt due to some kind of one game suspension! Great second half!
Melogroovy?!

Reaction Score

That 06-07 team deserved to be booed! Only team outside of Calhoun's first year to not make the postseason.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
There was a lot of booing going on in the 2009-10 season early on, when we were beating teams like Maine and Central Florida by like three points going into the half. An early indicator of what a rough season that would turn into.

Reaction Score
My freshman and senior years...good times...good times.

Reaction Score
There was a lot of booing going on in the 2009-10 season early on, when we were beating teams like Maine and Central Florida by like three points going into the half. An early indicator of what a rough season that would turn into.

It feels like it's been a while since we just came out and stomped teams like we should. A lot of people dismiss those early season struggles, but more often than not they actually portend badly for the rest of the year.

Reaction Score
My wife and I were at that game. We sat behind a real loud, obnoxious couple of Umass fans. They were on top of the world the first half, rightfully so. A few minutes into the second half, they ceased their celebrations. It was great to see.

Reaction Score
It feels like it's been a while since we just came out and stomped teams like we should. A lot of people dismiss those early season struggles, but more often than not they actually portend badly for the rest of the year.
I agree. I remember the really good UConn teams beating Sacred Heart like 111-42. It just showed the depth and firepower, even against an overmatched opponent.

Reaction Score
That 06-07 team deserved to be booed! Only team outside of Calhoun's first year to not make the postseason.
It was a bunch of freshmen and sophomores. Craig Austrie, Jeff Adrien, and Marcus Johnson were the only guys who came back with any experience. AJ was a "Sophomore" playing his first games. That group played really hard, but just had no in game experience.

I remember how bad--even defensively with the blocks--Hasheem was as a freshman.

That group of kids didn't deserve to be booed.

Reaction Score
What tzz said.........they just lost Williams, Brown, Boone, Armstrong and Gay so how dare they not get to an elite 8 again?!?!?:confused:............no wonder our fan base is like it is now!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom